Melissa Data Quality Overview

Melissa Data Quality is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Data Scrubbing Software. It is most often compared to Informatica Address Verification: Melissa Data Quality vs Informatica Address Verification

What is Melissa Data Quality?

Data Quality Components for SSIS

This suite of data transformations for Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) delivers the full spectrum of data quality including data profiling, data verification, data enrichment and data matching. With an intuitive interface and drag/drop capabilities, this powerful toolkit makes it easy to unify data into a single version of the truth for Master Data Management (MDM) success.

Download the Data Quality Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Melissa Data Quality Customers

Boeing Co., FedEx, Ford Motor Co, Hewlett Packard, Meade-Johnson, Microsoft, Panasonic, Proctor & Gamble, SAAB Cars USA, Sony, Walt Disney, Weight Watchers, and Intel.

Melissa Data Quality Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

CS Operations Manager
The Append feature helps us find customers' phone numbers to contact them efficiently

What is our primary use case?

We used the trial and we used the custom solution Append for a month or so. On Excel we still use the custom solution today. We use it to find updated contact information for our customers.

• "We mainly communicate with our customers via email, so we primarily use it to find a phone number so we can contact them more efficiently. This allows us to talk to them and resolve their issues much more quickly."
  • "We would appreciate it if there was a larger database so that we could find information more often. For example, we can search for 10 people and only find the information for three of them, if we are lucky."
  • "The custom software solution we still use in-house makes Excel a lot slower than usual."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this system an eight out of 10. The accuracy of correct information is very high when it's available. However, there was a 70% chance where the system would find the person we were looking for but there was no contact information. Still, I would advise getting the service without hesitation. It can come in handy and, even if you don’t use it on a daily basis, it’s a great tool to have when you need additional contact information for any purpose.
Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Makes the search of our applicant tracking system more consistent and relevant through data correction

What is our primary use case?

Data quality: Using it to validate addresses and email addresses for valid deliverability.

• "​Ability to keep our data set clean and usable for our community searches.​"
  • "​​Allows us to delete and correct incorrect data to make the searching of our applicant tracking system more consistent and relevant.​​"
  • "We have noticed that some of the emails and addresses return with confusing or incorrect codes, but for the most part, it is accurate.​"

What other advice do I have?

Have a good understanding of your data. Therefore, you can look at the recommended changes to make sure they make sense.
Find out what your peers are saying about Melissa, Informatica, Experian and others in Data Quality. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Developer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Much faster NCOA processing than our previous solution, with address standardization

What is our primary use case?

We provide a service for courthouses to summon candidates for jury duty. This requires the list of candidates’ addresses to be checked via the USPS NCOA list. We use SmartMover for this purpose.

• "It saves a huge amount of time. Before using this service, we used a vendor that manually ran our lists through this NCOA list, which might have taken one to three business days to return the file. This was a huge bottleneck in our process, and the data returned was not always accurate. After switching to Melissa Data’s SmartMover, the process has been reduced to between ten minutes and three hours, depending on the amount of records sent."
  • "The billing structure does not seem very accurate. We’ve had issues with miscounted batch records processed"
  • "Pricing is based on tiers, with each tier capped at a specified number of records processed. Once you go over the cap at one tier, you are automatically bumped to the next tier. However, they seem to count failed batch processes so it’s good to keep track of the number of records sent. They’ll fix the count when notified, but their system fails to detect actual successful processes versus failed processes."
  • "We encounter failed batch processes once in a while, but their team is quick to rectify issues."

What other advice do I have?

Thoroughly test the product. They have many different products that provide the same or similar results, but the execution is different. For example, the same goal of processing a list through NCOA can be accomplished via FTP, JSON, or SSIS. It depends on the implementation and which product is best suited for what you’re trying to achieve.
Customer Resource Production Manager at a individual & family service with 5,001-10,000 employees
Needs to provide more phone numbers, since they are so valuable. We use them help people market efficiently.

What is our primary use case?

Capture email addresses and phone numbers for marketing.

How has it helped my organization?

Gives us the ability to offer an additional resource that other companies do not.

What is most valuable?

Phone numbers, so we can help people market efficiently.

What needs improvement?

Provide more phone numbers, even cell numbers (scrubbed numbers).

Not applicable.

Technical support is excellent.

It has a straightforward,…
Mailing Specialist
Enables us to send out client mailings with the most accurate addresses possible

What is our primary use case?

We use Listware for Microsoft Excel for NCOA.

• "We are able to send out client mailings with the most accurate addresses possible."
  • "It would be helpful if a list of the codes and explanations could be included."

What other advice do I have?

Try it. It couldn’t be much easier.
General Manager
Works better than using a batch processing system that we do not have enough control over

What is our primary use case?

Address parsing for property tax roll records and adding Zip+4 to its latitude and longitude coordinates.

• "We like having the ability to write our own utilities/software to process our records and store the final output the way we want."
  • "This tool works better for us than using a batch processing system that we do not have enough control over as each record is being processed."
  • "Extremely easy to install and setup."
  • "We are no longer using Melissa Data to clean up our address information as there are free tools that we can use to do the same thing."

What other advice do I have?

I believe the Melissa Data products are very good. I tend to direct clients and colleagues to check out Melissa Data if they are doing mailings because those products are very good and simple to use. We usually suggest to our own customers that they check it out if they want to do mailings from the records we provide. There seem to be a lot of capabilities built into the Melissa Data products that we currently buy, but we are not taking advantage of because we just do not need those capabilities for what we are doing.
GG
COO
Helps us remain compliant with accreditation requirements, finding fraudulent transactions

What is our primary use case?

A significant part of our business revolves around the supply of domain names and, as such, we operate an accredited domain name registrar business. One of the requirements of the accreditation is that we validate customer data in relation to their domain name registration. The primary purpose of this is to deter misuse of domain names for fraudulent, phishing, or copyright issues. Being a policy requirement, our initial intention was to simply remain compliant with our accreditation requirements in the most cost effective manner. Melissa Data was well and truly on top of the list when it came… more »

• "Our customer database is now significantly more accurate and reliable."
  • "There have been tangible benefits in combating fraudulent transactions. The information from Melissa Data is fed straight into our fraud system. This creates efficiency but also removes the need for manual address checks."
  • "Through more accurate data, our marketing department has been able to increase delivery and conversion rates through email direct marketing initiatives."
  • "It could always be cheaper."

What other advice do I have?

Talk to the Melissa Data team, they are helpful, friendly and efficient.
Operations and Business Technology Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Simplicity, ease of use, and overall accuracy of data are the key features for us

What is our primary use case?

We use Melissa Data Listware for customer address verification.

• "Provides simplicity, ease of use, combined with overall accuracy of data."
  • "Tech support at Melissa Data was very quick to wash their hands of an issue and say it's IT policies on my side that are causing the issue. There was no offer to try and find a work-around. Just an overwhelming attitude of "it’s not our problem.""

What other advice do I have?

Trial subscriptions (via cloud) are very cheap and easy to use. It’s a great way to test Listware to see if you want to go deeper with integration.
Director at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use an API to access the data; it is easy to use, accurate, and fast

What is our primary use case?

We use Melissa Data Web Service during our freight bill entry process. We check Melissa Data to determine if a ship-to address is a residential address. If so, we add a residential delivery charge to the invoice.

• "We use a Melissa API to access the data, so it easy to use, accurate, and fast."
  • "There are some companies out there using Google or other sources to check / confirm if addresses are residential. If Melissa is not doing this, that could be an improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Follow normal IT processes to design what you need; build, test, and implement.
Head of Data Partnerships at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
We have reduced the number of addressing errors we encounter

What is our primary use case?

We use Melissa Data Global Address Verification Web Service for address validation and parsing into individual attributes.

• "By validating and parsing the addresses our customers submit to us, we have reduced the number of addressing errors encountered during our processing."
  • "Address validation and parsing in a few countries have room for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

* Read the API documentation thoroughly. * Understand how you are currently capturing address information. * Test multiple addresses per country to ensure you can consume the results effectively.
DP
IT Director
We are able to scrub and verify, then better validate the end customer's address

• "By using Melissa Data, we are able to scrub and verify, then better validate the end customer's address to ensure a more consistent delivery of products."
  • "​Initial setup was fairly straightforward. The documentation was very good in terms of how to integrate and consume the service(s) that we use. It did not take an abundance of time to set up things on our side to use the service."
  • "Be confident that the scalability and load are not going to be an issue with the services. ​"
  • "An area for improvement is where an end customer's address is not found in the Melissa Data database, even though it is a valid address."

What other advice do I have?

Follow the documentation as it is very good. Engage with their support team as by the little bit of experience that I had with them, they were good. Be confident that the scalability and load are not going to be an issue with the services.
Data Solutions
The ability to identify valid and better formatted data improves our database

What is our primary use case?

We use: * Contact Verify to cleanse customer data such as first and last name, address, email, and phone number. * MatchUp to verify existence of people within our source data using three key attributes.

• "​We are able to more accurately identify valid, and better formatted, data which improves the data we store in our database.​"
  • "MatchUp is a more complex product and I recommend a test area before upgrading to production. Performance can change from version to version."
  • "MatchUp seems to be single threaded, and limits the amount of data that can be processed automatically."

What other advice do I have?

Spend time learning how it works. Perform testing to understand the return codes.
President
Provides quality accurate data that our downstream solutions depend on

What is our primary use case?

We use Rooftop Geocode files, FTP batch file upload, for data annotation.

• "Provides quality accurate data that our downstream solutions depend on."
  • "Speed of delivery/ease of use. They advertise a 24-hour, next business day turn time on data annotation, but I’ve found it is usually closer to 72 hours. This is still excellent, just make sure you add in the appropriate fluff to your delivery timelines."

What other advice do I have?

Know the question you are asking. More data doesn’t give better solutions if it’s the wrong data for the question.
Director of Platform Operations at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Helps us provide accurate address information to customers for direct mailing

What is our primary use case?

Validating customer addresses.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps our organization provide accurate address information to our customers for direct mailing (household) and other campaigns they want to do.

What is most valuable?

Ability to validate customer addresses.

What needs improvement?

Validating more addresses accurately.

No issues.

Always responsive and helpful.

It was pretty straightforward to set up on Windows. Then we move to Linux and it was more complex, but…
User
Decreases the chance of incorrect shipping addresses, returned packages

What is our primary use case?

We use Address Object, Phone Object, Name Object, Email Object (current versions) for address verification for package shipping.

How has it helped my organization?

Decreased chance of incorrect shipping addresses and, thus, returned packages.

What is most valuable?

Address/county data lookup Address correction

What needs improvement?

More/better search tools are needed. State and local tax data would be nice.

Three to five years.

Nine out of 10.

This is…
Applied Data Science Entrepreneur at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
I was able to dedupe millions of records and append the most recent email

What is our primary use case?

Data merge, purge, quality, and append.

• "Services for all manner of data-driven organizations, no matter their size or budget."
  • "I was able to dedupe millions of records in the past, and append the most recent email."
  • "Needs better email append coverage (but every vendor struggles with this)."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a 10 out of 10, based on value, quality, speed, and features. Start with Melissa Data, explore a few of their competitors, and then decide based on these factors: data type (B2B or B2C) / pricing / data quality / data fields / system utility / customer support.
CTO at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
We can identify cell phones before dialing, and gives us data about callers

What is our primary use case?

Looking up cell phone numbers and demographic data.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows us to identify cell phones before dialing, and giving us data about callers.

What is most valuable?

Melissa Data Personator and Global Phone Check.

What needs improvement?

Needs more specific data in a single lookup.

No issues whatsoever.

Have not tested, but sure the calls can be scaled.

Very good. All engineers are top-notch.

Whitepages.com and other sites. …
Data Processing Supervisor at a printing company with 51-200 employees
Did not work as expected and tech support could not achieve desired results

What is our primary use case?

Parsing address data from a single field.

What is most valuable?

Address parsing. Our other software does not have this functionality.

What needs improvement?

Better results in parsing, as described on the website.

No issues.

Tech support itself is okay, but they could not achieve desired results.

We switched because we were doing it manually.

It would be nice if it also had a user interface, as it did in years past. …
Executive Director at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
Helps us meet NCOA verification requirements for bulk mailings via USPS

What is our primary use case?

We need to verify NCOA for sending out bulk mailings.

• "Enables us to send out bulk mailings when we need to verify NCOA."
  • "​If I had multiple Excel files open and ran Listware it would crash Excel, charge the credits, and not save the results."

What other advice do I have?

Pick what fits your needs, ask around.
Administrative Assistant
We don't have to spend an entire month gathering correct information on leads

What is our primary use case?

We use Listware Online to get personal information from home addresses.

• "We have only been using this for about two months, but it has sped up our processing significantly. It makes data mining easy and fast. We don't have to spend an entire month gathering correct information on leads. All we need is a list of home addresses, and in minutes we have names and phone numbers to increase our chance of these leads becoming customers."
  • "I wish there was a way to do a "test run" and see what a particular format will give you."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10. It gets us all the information we need quickly and easily. It's convenient to be able to simply upload a spreadsheet and use a predetermined template; it only takes a few minutes to process.
Manager of Application Development (Web Team) at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us reduce UPS charges for incomplete or bad addresses

What is our primary use case?

Customer address verification.

How has it helped my organization?

Decreased charges incurred from UPS for incomplete or bad addresses.

What is most valuable?

Address verification. It ensures our customers get their packages, and we aren’t charged for incomplete address information.

What needs improvement?

Further improved address data. Also, I'd generally prefer an API-based solution going forward, and one that does fraud verification at the same time.

No issues.

Supportive as needed. Have not required…
Product Specialist / Senior Business Analyst
Allows users of our product to know what industry a given business is in

What is our primary use case?

We utilize Melissa Data’s Business Coder product to return the NAICS code on businesses, based on business name and address. We bundle it with our own product to return the business’ industry.

• "We only use the one feature for the NAICS code. This allows our product users to know what industry a business is in."
  • "To continually update the database with NAICS codes on businesses."

What other advice do I have?

This serves our single need and we may utilize Melissa Data for other lookups, such as validate address lookup, in the future. Test it out with real business data and validate that the industry is accurate. If not, send to Melissa Data and they will respond with more analysis and information. This was very helpful.
Property Investor
Gives us an assessed value of the property in question which helps us cull properties

• "It gives me an assessed value of the property in question. My partner and I are property investors, and it's good to get an assessed value to cull out properties that we're not interested in."
  • "It really hasn't given us a phone number for the owner of the property, and that's one thing I'd really like to be getting. Either a phone number or email."
  • "One thing I would want to have, when you're doing a property search, you can do it either on the FIPS in the APN number or the address itself. For some entries, I'll have the APN number, and some I'll have the address. Apparently it cannot process something when both the FIPS-APN and the address are on there. I have to sort, once with one and once with the other, which is a little bit of a pain."

What other advice do I have?

I'd say it's a great product. If those are the parameters that you want to find, it seems to do real well. What would make it a 10 out of 10 for me would be the improvements I mentioned above.
President
Dedupe helped us identify tens of thousands of duplicate records in data we purchased

• "We ran a standard name, address, and zip code, internal dedupe between the different files we had purchased, and we were able to quickly notify our vendor that they had tens of thousands of duplications that they were not even aware of."
  • "One of the problems that we ran into this year was we probably spent over 40 hours finding and trying to drill down to where specific bugs were in the program, which was a tremendous waste of time for us. There were a couple of updates to Windows this year, the program kept crashing. It happened on two different occasions over a period of a few months. Once we told them what the problem was - even though their tech support is great to work with - it literally took probably about two months to fix the issue where we could actually use the program the way we needed to use it."

What other advice do I have?

I know Melissa has gone the route where everything is going to the cloud, where you have to pay an ongoing annual fee. We specifically want to use a desktop solution, not a cloud solution - which is the direction many other firms are going, they're going to a cloud solution. But we prefer using a standalone desktop solution, where we are purchasing the software program one time, plus occasional updates, as opposed to having to use the cloud, based on the volume of use. In terms of advice to others, if you have a large file with many, many terabytes, break it down into smaller files, the…
Retired
Significantly cuts down on the time needed to match names to addresses

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use name and address lookups and Listware Online for mass mailings.

• "It cuts down significantly on time in trying to match names to addresses. I can do in a few hours what would otherwise take days to accomplish."
  • "Many issues, sometimes I have to completely log out and start over."

What other advice do I have?

Depending on your needs, it is adequate. My need is simply an easy lookup system for mailings.
Product Design Consultant
Enables us to verify user addresses during onboarding, creating valid, consistent data

What is our primary use case?

We use Melissa during subscriber onboarding and the KYC process to verify a provided address.

• "The customers' addresses are now complete, correct and follow one consistent format."
  • "More countries should be supported by Melissa."

What other advice do I have?

Melissa offer a high quality product with great service. Their pricing is also very competitive.
Office Services Manager at a government with 51-200 employees
NCOA keeps our membership addresses up to date

What is our primary use case?

NCOA to keep our addresses up to date.

How has it helped my organization?

Our membership addresses are kept up to date.

What is most valuable?

Getting the most up to date address for our members. We like to keep in touch with membership a few times a year so we want to maintain up to date addresses to be sure they receive any information that we mail to them.

What needs improvement?

It will mix up family members at times, so we will change addresses at times that shouldn’t be changed.

Good. …
Business Intelligence Developer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Streamlines address cleansing to improve duplicate identification and geocoding

What is our primary use case?

Cleansing addresses of referring healthcare facilities to improve duplicate identification and geocoding their addresses.

What is most valuable?

Address parsing Cleansing Standardization SSIS integration

Three to five years.

No issues.

Have not had to use technical support.

Nothing previously.

Simple.

Did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a specific strategy…
SV
Powerbuilder Consultant at a government with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to validate any address entered into our system and get precise geocoding

What is our primary use case?

We use Personator to validate any address entered into our system. We also use their GeoPoints to get the most precise, rooftop level geocoding. We do not use the name, email, or phone validation built into Personator. We use Express Entry Service to fuzzy search; in case there are multiple matches for the address entered, we present them to the user to pick the right one.

• "We use their GeoPoints to get the most precise, rooftop level geocoding."

What other advice do I have?

* I suggest you try both their online product and batch mode. If they provide a sample program to consume their (web) services, then try that as well. * When we selected the product, we got an evaluation license for the products and tried some of the most difficult addresses in our database (based on use case). * I also suggest you negotiate to send them a sample file with at least 1000 addresses that they can process and send back validated and geocoded. Then, run the results against Google or other sites that are available out there to verify their results are correct.
    Director of Software Development
    Helps me standardize data for better duplicate record checks

What is our primary use case?

Cleanse, standardize, and verify addresses at point of entry into our primary system, via both UI and import processes.

• "Standardizing allows me to more effectively check for duplicate/existing records. Verifying increases the value of the data."
    • "The SSIS component setup seems a little klunky."

What other advice do I have?

It's pretty easy to implement inline in a website and Windows application code. SSIS setup and configuration is a little klunky, but pretty easy to use.
    Director, Information Technology at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We are able to validate/correct addresses and use the new address if someone has moved

What is our primary use case?

Ability to link through web service and to set error status back.

How has it helped my organization?

Ability to validate addresses, make corrections to address. Also, if a person has moved, use the new address to send the mail and thus reduce the postage cost and reduce return mails.

What is most valuable?

Web service connections - easy to maintain synchronous connections.

What needs improvement?

Pricing model.

Very good.

Easy setup and easy code integration to…
    Solution Architect (Data Scientist) at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    The SSIS workflow component has been valuable for me to recommend for enterprise-level production work.
    Senior Project Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    On-premise Data Quality components ensures accurate mailing campaigns

What other advice do I have?

We were not thrilled with the "phone home" requirement as we are skittish about opening a port and allowing 3rd party software to pass files. Luckily we found out it was required for the Geocoder component which we do not use. See link below for more information: http://wiki.melissadata.com/in...
    Business Data Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reduced direct mail errors.

Valuable Features

Data cleansing and geo coding.

Improvements to My Organization

Reduced direct mail errors

Room for Improvement

Update feature

Use of Solution

2 years

Database version issues

Customer Service: Great Technical Support: Great
    Software Solutions Architect at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to install and configure. Integrates well with Visual Studio Data Tools. Generates a unique key for every address it processes. Generates correct error codes whenever it corrects a address. Finally, it is very reliable.
    Director of Business Intelligence at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Match process provided reliable single view of data. Email Address Soft Ping should be made real time within Personator.
    Information Technology Leader at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Better and standardized addresses in our systems.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

Better and standardized addresses in our systems.

What needs improvement?

Need to POC point of entry validation.

< 1Month

Easy to deploy with the help of my DBAs and Melissa Data tech support.

NA

Never tried.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: 9/10

It was easy. In the installation documentation, they should mention that SQL server…
    Owner /CEO at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
    We now have less errors on catalog address labels.

What is most valuable?

Spelling of names Email addresses

How has it helped my organization?

We now have less errors on catalog address labels.

What needs improvement?

It changes names to what it thinks it should be when the spelling is different. It should not do this.

I’ve been using it for three years.

We have had no issues with the performance.

It has been able to scale for our needs.

Very good, although a lot of the time they were not aware of a problem that we were experiencing.

We wrote our own edits and…
    Technical Lead/Solution Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Initial setup was straightforward but had some pain points while plugging it in the ETL.

What is most valuable?

Melissa Data Contact Verify

How has it helped my organization?

When we plugin the contact verify component in the ETL from Source Systems, it will greatly help in standardizing and cleansing the source data and help keep the downstream systems clean.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the product can be expanded to standardize and clean Telephone Numbers and TaxID’s/SSN’s.

1 year

Customer Service: Good…
    Download our free Data Quality Report and find out what your peers are saying about Melissa, Informatica, Experian, and more!