Melissa Data Quality OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Melissa Data Quality is #2 ranked solution in top Data Scrubbing Software and #6 ranked solution in top Data Quality tools. IT Central Station users give Melissa Data Quality an average rating of 10 out of 10. Melissa Data Quality is most commonly compared to Informatica Address Verification:Melissa Data Quality vs Informatica Address Verification. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is Melissa Data Quality?

Data Quality Components for SSIS

This suite of data transformations for Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) delivers the full spectrum of data quality including data profiling, data verification, data enrichment and data matching. With an intuitive interface and drag/drop capabilities, this powerful toolkit makes it easy to unify data into a single version of the truth for Master Data Management (MDM) success.

Download the Data Quality Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Melissa Data Quality Customers

Boeing Co., FedEx, Ford Motor Co, Hewlett Packard, Meade-Johnson, Microsoft, Panasonic, Proctor & Gamble, SAAB Cars USA, Sony, Walt Disney, Weight Watchers, and Intel.

Melissa Data Quality Video

Archived Melissa Data Quality Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user796209
CS Operations Manager
The Append feature helps us find customers' phone numbers to contact them efficiently

• "We mainly communicate with our customers via email, so we primarily use it to find a phone number so we can contact them more efficiently. This allows us to talk to them and resolve their issues much more quickly."
  • "We would appreciate it if there was a larger database so that we could find information more often. For example, we can search for 10 people and only find the information for three of them, if we are lucky."
  • "The custom software solution we still use in-house makes Excel a lot slower than usual."

What is our primary use case?

We used the trial and we used the custom solution Append for a month or so. On Excel we still use the custom solution today. We use it to find updated contact information for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The Append feature. The majority of the time we have a customer’s name and address and we need to find their phone number or email.

What needs improvement?

We would appreciate it if there was a larger database so that we could find information more often. For example, we can search for 10 people and only find the information for three of them, if we are lucky. Increasing this success rate would be beneficial and, at the same time, would be a great way to get more clients interested in the solution.

Still implementing.

No scalability issues at all.

I have never had to contact tech support. My sales rep helped me out with everything I needed.

We still use another solution due to a higher success rate with the amount of information provided. The reason we also use Melissa Data is because it provides information for our customers outside of the US as well, and it makes searching for multiple customers easier through the Append feature.

The initial setup was somewhat complex at first, but it was straightforward enough to understand, once you get the hang of it.

Buy a lot more credits than you think you’re going to need.

The only other product we are currently using is Whitepages Premium. It provides the information necessary, except for an email address sometimes. We also looked at Spokeo and other append services. Melissa caught my attention because we had previously worked with their address verifier and I knew it was a good solution for our needs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this system an eight out of 10. The accuracy of correct information is very high when it's available. However, there was a 70% chance where the system would find the person we were looking for but there was no contact information.

Still, I would advise getting the service without hesitation. It can come in handy and, even if you don’t use it on a daily basis, it’s a great tool to have when you need additional contact information for any purpose.

Wendy Kennah
Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Makes the search of our applicant tracking system more consistent and relevant through data correction

• "​Ability to keep our data set clean and usable for our community searches.​"
  • "​​Allows us to delete and correct incorrect data to make the searching of our applicant tracking system more consistent and relevant.​​"
  • "We have noticed that some of the emails and addresses return with confusing or incorrect codes, but for the most part, it is accurate.​"

What is our primary use case?

Data quality: Using it to validate addresses and email addresses for valid deliverability.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Ability to keep our data set clean and usable for our community searches.

No issues.

So far, so good. Although, we have not needed to use this very often.

No previous solution was used. We implemented Melissa Data when we moved forward with our data quality tool.

We used a third-party to integrate into our DQM.

You should have a good idea of the size of your data and the amount of cleansing you will be doing, so you will purchase the appropriate size bundle.

What other advice do I have?

Have a good understanding of your data. Therefore, you can look at the recommended changes to make sure they make sense.

Find out what your peers are saying about Melissa, Informatica, Experian and others in Data Quality. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user796218
Developer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Much faster NCOA processing than our previous solution, with address standardization

• "It saves a huge amount of time. Before using this service, we used a vendor that manually ran our lists through this NCOA list, which might have taken one to three business days to return the file. This was a huge bottleneck in our process, and the data returned was not always accurate. After switching to Melissa Data’s SmartMover, the process has been reduced to between ten minutes and three hours, depending on the amount of records sent."
  • "The billing structure does not seem very accurate. We’ve had issues with miscounted batch records processed"
  • "Pricing is based on tiers, with each tier capped at a specified number of records processed. Once you go over the cap at one tier, you are automatically bumped to the next tier. However, they seem to count failed batch processes so it’s good to keep track of the number of records sent. They’ll fix the count when notified, but their system fails to detect actual successful processes versus failed processes."
  • "We encounter failed batch processes once in a while, but their team is quick to rectify issues."

What is our primary use case?

We provide a service for courthouses to summon candidates for jury duty. This requires the list of candidates’ addresses to be checked via the USPS NCOA list. We use SmartMover for this purpose.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves a huge amount of time. Before using this service, we used a vendor that manually ran our lists through this NCOA list, which might have taken one to three business days to return the file. This was a huge bottleneck in our process, and the data returned was not always accurate. After switching to Melissa Data’s SmartMover, the process has been reduced to between ten minutes and three hours, depending on the amount of records sent.

What is most valuable?

It provides address standardization and NCOA, and deliverable addresses. This saves our clients time, and money in postage fees, by providing updated and undeliverable addresses.

What needs improvement?

The billing structure does not seem very accurate. We’ve had issues with miscounted batch records processed. We also ran into some data quality issues, but they have been rectified and we haven’t noticed any issues since.

Less than one year.

Larger batches sometimes have failed batches.

Tech support is 10 out of 10.

We had issues with data quality and a very slow return time with our previous vendor.

It was very straightforward. The documentation is clear and the sales rep has been good with communication.

We looked at Service Objects and a few others. Some of these vendors had poor documentation, pricing was not competitive, or the product did not provide the customization we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Thoroughly test the product. They have many different products that provide the same or similar results, but the execution is different. For example, the same goal of processing a list through NCOA can be accomplished via FTP, JSON, or SSIS. It depends on the implementation and which product is best suited for what you’re trying to achieve.

it_user796212
Customer Resource Production Manager at a individual & family service with 5,001-10,000 employees
Needs to provide more phone numbers, since they are so valuable. We use them help people market efficiently.

What is our primary use case?

Capture email addresses and phone numbers for marketing.

How has it helped my organization?

Gives us the ability to offer an additional resource that other companies do not.

What is most valuable?

Phone numbers, so we can help people market efficiently.

What needs improvement?

Provide more phone numbers, even cell numbers (scrubbed numbers).

Not applicable.

Technical support is excellent.

It has a straightforward,…

What is our primary use case?

Capture email addresses and phone numbers for marketing.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Phone numbers, so we can help people market efficiently.

What needs improvement?

Provide more phone numbers, even cell numbers (scrubbed numbers).

Not applicable.

Technical support is excellent.

It has a straightforward, easy setup.

It is affordable.

What other advice do I have?

Great tool; certainly helpful if you need an affordable option.

it_user796215
Mailing Specialist
Enables us to send out client mailings with the most accurate addresses possible

• "We are able to send out client mailings with the most accurate addresses possible."
  • "It would be helpful if a list of the codes and explanations could be included."

What is our primary use case?

We use Listware for Microsoft Excel for NCOA.

How has it helped my organization?

NCOA processing is now quick and easy. No waiting for the list to come back, no calling, and no worrying if there are enough credits available.

What is most valuable?

Being able to send out client mailings with the most accurate addresses possible.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if a list of the codes and explanations could be included.

No previous solution.

Very simple; step by step, online.

Pricing is very reasonable, no licensing required.

Satori. You have to call to purchase credits, unless you want to spend a couple thousand dollars a year to purchase unlimited NCOA. When I called I got voicemail. Wanted something quicker.

What other advice do I have?

Try it. It couldn’t be much easier.

it_user798219
General Manager
Works better than using a batch processing system that we do not have enough control over

• "We like having the ability to write our own utilities/software to process our records and store the final output the way we want."
  • "This tool works better for us than using a batch processing system that we do not have enough control over as each record is being processed."
  • "Extremely easy to install and setup."
  • "We are no longer using Melissa Data to clean up our address information as there are free tools that we can use to do the same thing."

What is our primary use case?

Address parsing for property tax roll records and adding Zip+4 to its latitude and longitude coordinates.

How has it helped my organization?

When we first started using Melissa Data products, we needed it for cleaning up parcel addresses and adding Zip+4 to its latitude and longitude coordinates. At the time, we were actually using the products for verifying the addresses and cleaning up cities and zip codes so our clients could use the information to send out mailings. Over the last few years, we have changed our direction a little bit. We no longer use the product for verifying or changing any of the address information we get from the state or property appraiser offices. We only use it now for parsing the addresses into street name, suffix, direction, unit, etc. to make our data easier for our clients to search on these separate fields. If the street name that comes from the property appraiser’s office is misspelled, we no longer use Melissa Data to clean it up. We just parse. There are reasons for why we do this that would take longer to explain, but wanted to give you an idea of what we are doing. We do append the lat/long info for any additions or changes that we get when we get the new tax roll updates each year.

Since we have changed directions and we are no longer using Melissa Data to clean up our address information, there are free tools that we can use to do the same thing. We can also write our own parsing routines ourselves, if necessary. The reason we have not looked at other tools yet is because this takes time for our team to change the processes that we already have in place. However, the long-term benefit is we would save this money that we are spending every year on Melissa Data products. We would just have an initial cost of rewriting everything the first year. Also, we can get most of the lat/long information we need from the county parcel maps that we already get for free. We also have another solution to handle the properties that are not necessarily in the maps data (because of timing or other issues). We are looking into this.

Just giving honest feedback. We have no gripes with the products. We just have to look at ways to keep our own costs down.

What is most valuable?

We like having the ability to write our own utilities/software to process our records and store the final output the way we want. We use the objects inside of programs that we wrote in VB/VB.NET. This tool works better for us than using a batch processing system that we do not have enough control over as each record is being processed.

What needs improvement?

I cannot think of anything to improve. The products do way more than we take advantage of at this time.

No issues.

We have never used technical support.

We have not used another solution.

Extremely easy to install and setup. Initially, we had to figure out how to use all of the properties for each object and what the return codes meant, but this really was not that hard.

We are concerned that our own pricing is going up every year for Melissa Data products, but we highly recommend the services for people who are routinely sending out mailings.

We do not give advice as to pricing and licensing.

I believe we evaluated other products offered by Melissa Data at the time (for example, “Mailers”). I do not know that there were other vendors offering what we needed at the time. Other vendors had options for sending batch data files, but no options for us to be able to write our own code.

What other advice do I have?

I believe the Melissa Data products are very good. I tend to direct clients and colleagues to check out Melissa Data if they are doing mailings because those products are very good and simple to use. We usually suggest to our own customers that they check it out if they want to do mailings from the records we provide. There seem to be a lot of capabilities built into the Melissa Data products that we currently buy, but we are not taking advantage of because we just do not need those capabilities for what we are doing.

GG
COO
Helps us remain compliant with accreditation requirements, finding fraudulent transactions

• "Our customer database is now significantly more accurate and reliable."
  • "There have been tangible benefits in combating fraudulent transactions. The information from Melissa Data is fed straight into our fraud system. This creates efficiency but also removes the need for manual address checks."
  • "Through more accurate data, our marketing department has been able to increase delivery and conversion rates through email direct marketing initiatives."
  • "It could always be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

A significant part of our business revolves around the supply of domain names and, as such, we operate an accredited domain name registrar business. One of the requirements of the accreditation is that we validate customer data in relation to their domain name registration. The primary purpose of this is to deter misuse of domain names for fraudulent, phishing, or copyright issues. Being a policy requirement, our initial intention was to simply remain compliant with our accreditation requirements in the most cost effective manner. Melissa Data was well and truly on top of the list when it came to scoping our options for this objective.

How has it helped my organization?

We have, however benefited in additional ways from the service, in that our customer database is now significantly more accurate and reliable. This is particularly important when it comes to both cost savings and cost generating measures. There have been tangible benefits in combating fraudulent transactions. The information from Melissa Data is fed straight into our fraud system. This creates efficiency but also removes the need for manual address checks. Similarly, through more accurate data, our marketing department has been able to increase delivery and conversion rates through email direct marketing initiatives.

What is most valuable?

Automated data verification.

What needs improvement?

None of note, it suits our needs. It could always be cheaper.

No scalability issues.

Limited use of tech support has been necessary, but all interactions have been pleasant. Nine out of 10.

No previous solution.

Straightforward. A simple API fit for purpose.

Melissa Data is cost effective and efficient. It was the best we could find when we first scoped the project.

SAS, Experian.

What other advice do I have?

Talk to the Melissa Data team, they are helpful, friendly and efficient.

it_user798009
Operations and Business Technology Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Simplicity, ease of use, and overall accuracy of data are the key features for us

• "Provides simplicity, ease of use, combined with overall accuracy of data."
  • "Tech support at Melissa Data was very quick to wash their hands of an issue and say it's IT policies on my side that are causing the issue. There was no offer to try and find a work-around. Just an overwhelming attitude of "it’s not our problem.""

What is our primary use case?

We use Melissa Data Listware for customer address verification.

How has it helped my organization?

I have only just started to use it at my current company so no improvements yet. In my previous role, we used Listware to reduce returned mail and reduce mailing costs.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity, ease of use, combined with overall accuracy of data.

What needs improvement?

The world is moving/has moved to the cloud. I get that. But it would be nice to easily integrate the solution with our own internal systems/processes in a way that keeps IT happy. Right now I live at a company with (exceedingly) tight IT policies, so integration of a cloud solution just doesn’t work. The on-premise version of Listware is too expensive relative to the cloud version.

No stability issues yet.

No scalability issues.

Average to below average. Tech support at Melissa Data was very quick to wash their hands of an issue and say it's IT policies on my side that are causing the issue. There was no offer to try and find a work-around. Just an overwhelming attitude of "it’s not our problem."

I have investigated but not used other solutions.

Easy enough.

Cloud is very cheap. On-premise is expensive.

I can’t recall all the other solutions in detail; Trillium was one.

What other advice do I have?

Trial subscriptions (via cloud) are very cheap and easy to use. It’s a great way to test Listware to see if you want to go deeper with integration.

it_user798006
Director at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use an API to access the data; it is easy to use, accurate, and fast

• "We use a Melissa API to access the data, so it easy to use, accurate, and fast."
  • "There are some companies out there using Google or other sources to check / confirm if addresses are residential. If Melissa is not doing this, that could be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Melissa Data Web Service during our freight bill entry process. We check Melissa Data to determine if a ship-to address is a residential address. If so, we add a residential delivery charge to the invoice.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we had to rely on the driver of the delivery to mark a shipment as residential. If they forgot or were not sure, the delivery would not be marked and we would potentially lose revenue from the residential delivery.

What is most valuable?

We use a Melissa API to access the data, so it easy to use, accurate, and fast.

What needs improvement?

There are some companies out there using Google or other sources to check/confirm if addresses are residential. If Melissa is not doing this, that could be an improvement.

Tech support is fine.

We did not previously use a different product.

Straightforward. Melissa provided instructions on how to use the APIs, login information; it was very easy to set up.

Understand how may transactions you will be processing so that you can get the right tier pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Follow normal IT processes to design what you need; build, test, and implement.

it_user798222
Head of Data Partnerships at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
We have reduced the number of addressing errors we encounter

• "By validating and parsing the addresses our customers submit to us, we have reduced the number of addressing errors encountered during our processing."
  • "Address validation and parsing in a few countries have room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Melissa Data Global Address Verification Web Service for address validation and parsing into individual attributes.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Address validation and parsing are most valuable to us, as we require the address segmented into its individual attributes for processing.

What needs improvement?

Address validation and parsing in a few countries have room for improvement.

The solution has been very stable.

No issues with scalability.

Tech support has been very prompt and helpful with any and all questions and issues we have submitted.

Yes, we had a previous solution. We switched because we were looking for a more global solution.

We required significant field mapping on our side due to our country specific needs. Understanding how Melissa responded with its standard field for each country took some time to internalize. However, the initial set up was quite simple.

Fully understand your volume, both monthly and annually. Speak with a Melissa account manager, they will put together an effective solution to meet your needs.

AddressDoctor, Experian, PostcodeAnywhere.

What other advice do I have?

• Read the API documentation thoroughly.
  • Understand how you are currently capturing address information.
  • Test multiple addresses per country to ensure you can consume the results effectively.
DP
IT Director
We are able to scrub and verify, then better validate the end customer's address

• "By using Melissa Data, we are able to scrub and verify, then better validate the end customer's address to ensure a more consistent delivery of products."
  • "​Initial setup was fairly straightforward. The documentation was very good in terms of how to integrate and consume the service(s) that we use. It did not take an abundance of time to set up things on our side to use the service."
  • "Be confident that the scalability and load are not going to be an issue with the services. ​"
  • "An area for improvement is where an end customer's address is not found in the Melissa Data database, even though it is a valid address."

How has it helped my organization?

We do hundreds of thousands to millions of customer deliveries. By using Melissa Data, we are able to scrub and verify, then better validate the end customer's address to ensure a more consistent delivery of products.

What is most valuable?

We only use the address hygiene tool, so I can't really comment on their other tools. We did look at their email verification as well, because we also use another service for it. We do not switched to them, but it was not due to the functionality of that service. It was just that it required some reengineering on our end to do so. We did not feel that we had the right capacity to do it at that time. All I can say is we use the address hygiene service, and we have been pleased with it.

What needs improvement?

I would like a little more intelligence around handling addresses that are not in the system and providing back some better options on how to present the corrections to the user.

Three to five years.

Over the lifetime of us using it, we have only had one issue where there seemed to be an availability issue. We use it as a service, and the service was unavailable. It was for a very short period of time. I think part of a day, something like that. Otherwise, it has been a very stable product, and we have not really dealt with any performance-related issues.

No issues. We do a very high volume of traffic in a condensed window during the September-October-November timeframe, and we have never had an issue with performance or scalability.

We really have not had to use it. During the one incident I am remembering, we contacted customer support, and I don't remember if it was resolved through them, or I get the impression it was a larger issue than just affecting us, and it was resolved. So, I can't really give a great comment on that. I do not think other than that one time we have really used customer support, because we have not had a need to do so.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward. The documentation was very good in terms of how to integrate and consume the service(s) that we use. It did not take an abundance of time to set up things on our side to use the service and incorporate it into our e-commerce platforms. So, it went very smooth.

The pricing is okay. Like many transactional service-based platforms, I always feel that the pricing is a little bit high. I think it is competitive with other products on the market. The only complaint that I have towards it is they sell licenses based on a range of usage, and I feel those ranges are too large. As an example, we licensed a two and a half to five million range of transactions, yet we use somewhere between two and a half and three million. Therefore, we have to pay for five, even though we only use roughly half of it.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the other products we looked at.

What other advice do I have?

Follow the documentation as it is very good. Engage with their support team as by the little bit of experience that I had with them, they were good. Be confident that the scalability and load are not going to be an issue with the services.

it_user793623
Data Solutions
The ability to identify valid and better formatted data improves our database

• "​We are able to more accurately identify valid, and better formatted, data which improves the data we store in our database.​"
  • "MatchUp is a more complex product and I recommend a test area before upgrading to production. Performance can change from version to version."
  • "MatchUp seems to be single threaded, and limits the amount of data that can be processed automatically."

What is our primary use case?

We use:

• Contact Verify to cleanse customer data such as first and last name, address, email, and phone number.
  • MatchUp to verify existence of people within our source data using three key attributes.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Both Contact Verify and MatchUp are valuable to us. Without cleaning the data and matching existing data, it would be challenging to accomplish our clients' requirements.

Contact Verify is very simple to use and performs very fast.

More than five years.

Sometimes you need to reboot the server to apply patches. No product is completely error-free after upgrading.

Support is very good and they spend the time you need to understand the tool to accomplish your goals. Escalation to level 2 or 3 if necessary.

Very straightforward, point and click.

What other advice do I have?

Spend time learning how it works. Perform testing to understand the return codes.

it_user793620
President
Provides quality accurate data that our downstream solutions depend on

• "Provides quality accurate data that our downstream solutions depend on."
  • "Speed of delivery/ease of use. They advertise a 24-hour, next business day turn time on data annotation, but I’ve found it is usually closer to 72 hours. This is still excellent, just make sure you add in the appropriate fluff to your delivery timelines."

What is our primary use case?

We use Rooftop Geocode files, FTP batch file upload, for data annotation.

How has it helped my organization?

It's an enabling technology for us.

What is most valuable?

Accuracy. Our downstream data analytics solutions depend on quality data.

Eight out of 10.

Yes, we had a previous solution. We switched because of the cost.

Straightforward, as long as you’re used to working with large tabular data.

Quality comes with a cost which is updated frequently.

On smaller batch runs they have an Excel plugin called Listware which can get you the data instantly, but it’s pricier per datum. Once you get above a few thousand line items it’s better to do the FPT batch, wait the extra days, and save the costs.

We did evaluate other products, but the particulars are confidential.

What other advice do I have?

Know the question you are asking. More data doesn’t give better solutions if it’s the wrong data for the question.

it_user793617
Director of Platform Operations at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Helps us provide accurate address information to customers for direct mailing

What is our primary use case?

Validating customer addresses.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps our organization provide accurate address information to our customers for direct mailing (household) and other campaigns they want to do.

What is most valuable?

Ability to validate customer addresses.

What needs improvement?

Validating more addresses accurately.

No issues.

Always responsive and helpful.

What is our primary use case?

Validating customer addresses.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Ability to validate customer addresses.

What needs improvement?

Validating more addresses accurately.

No issues.

Always responsive and helpful.

It was pretty straightforward to set up on Windows. Then we move to Linux and it was more complex, but still manageable.

We've only used this one.

What other advice do I have?

• Understand what you want to do.
  • Know the limitations of the product.
it_user793614
User
Decreases the chance of incorrect shipping addresses, returned packages

What is our primary use case?

We use Address Object, Phone Object, Name Object, Email Object (current versions) for address verification for package shipping.

How has it helped my organization?

Decreased chance of incorrect shipping addresses and, thus, returned packages.

What is most valuable?

Address/county data lookup Address correction

What needs improvement?

More/better search tools are needed. State and local tax data would be nice.

Nine out of 10.

This is…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Decreased chance of incorrect shipping addresses and, thus, returned packages.

What is most valuable?

• Address/county data lookup
  • Address correction

What needs improvement?

• More/better search tools are needed.
  • State and local tax data would be nice.

Nine out of 10.

This is our first solution.

Setup was straightforward. Could have more API examples for different languages.

Depends on situation. We prefer to have data onsite, but some might prefer web access.

Google, USPS, SmartyStreets.

What other advice do I have?

Search all options and decide which is the best fit.

it_user223296
Applied Data Science Entrepreneur at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
I was able to dedupe millions of records and append the most recent email

• "Services for all manner of data-driven organizations, no matter their size or budget."
  • "I was able to dedupe millions of records in the past, and append the most recent email."
  • "Needs better email append coverage (but every vendor struggles with this)."

What is our primary use case?

Data merge, purge, quality, and append.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• The flexibility of their products
  • Services for all manner of data-driven organizations, no matter their size or budget.

What needs improvement?

Better email append coverage (but every vendor struggles with this).

More than five years.

No issues. Everything worked as expected, and exceeded expectations.

It depends on whether you can run extremely large lists on multiple servers. Any sort of dedupe or fuzzy match is processing intensive, regardless of the vendor.

I requested a hands-on webinar and received it the same day.

I will continue to use Discover RainKing, as well as D&B for firmographics, Synthio (formerly Social123), HG Data, Reachable, Smarte, GoodData. Each vendor has unique strengths and weaknesses. Melissa Data is often best for the price, quality, thoroughness, and speed.

For my particular need, it required about an hour to learn their online system, but they also provided a live webinar session – fantastic!

Be sure to determine how the data is priced (record-based versus credit-based or some hybrid of data and services).

Melissa's sales executives can be of tremendous value in pricing and best practices.

I still use D&B, Synthio, Discover.org and RainKing, but Melissa Data is always a contender for B2C data needs.

Regarding advice to others looking for similar solutions:

1. Explore Melissa's products and services online.
  2. Speak with one of their sales reps.
  3. Schedule an online demo.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a 10 out of 10, based on value, quality, speed, and features.

Start with Melissa Data, explore a few of their competitors, and then decide based on these factors: data type (B2B or B2C) / pricing / data quality / data fields / system utility / customer support.

Robert Wakefield
CTO at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Leaderboard
We can identify cell phones before dialing, and gives us data about callers

What is our primary use case?

Looking up cell phone numbers and demographic data.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows us to identify cell phones before dialing, and giving us data about callers.

What is most valuable?

Melissa Data Personator and Global Phone Check.

What needs improvement?

Needs more specific data in a single lookup.

No issues whatsoever.

Have not tested, but sure the calls can be scaled.

Very good. All engineers are top-notch.

Whitepages.com and other sites. …

What is our primary use case?

Looking up cell phone numbers and demographic data.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Melissa Data Personator and Global Phone Check.

What needs improvement?

Needs more specific data in a single lookup.

No issues whatsoever.

Have not tested, but sure the calls can be scaled.

Very good. All engineers are top-notch.

Whitepages.com and other sites.

Straightforward. Good API documentation.

Check out all options and get what you need.

We evaluated Whitepages.com.

What other advice do I have?

Work with an integration partner.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a dealer/integrator.
it_user793659
Data Processing Supervisor at a printing company with 51-200 employees
Did not work as expected and tech support could not achieve desired results

What is our primary use case?

Parsing address data from a single field.

What is most valuable?

Address parsing. Our other software does not have this functionality.

What needs improvement?

Better results in parsing, as described on the website.

No issues.

Tech support itself is okay, but they could not achieve desired results.

We switched because we were doing it manually.

It would be nice if it also had a user interface, as it did in years past. …

What is our primary use case?

Parsing address data from a single field.

What is most valuable?

Address parsing. Our other software does not have this functionality.

What needs improvement?

Better results in parsing, as described on the website.

No issues.

Tech support itself is okay, but they could not achieve desired results.

We switched because we were doing it manually.

It would be nice if it also had a user interface, as it did in years past.

Test the product thoroughly before buying.

There are no other viable options.

What other advice do I have?

Did not work as advertised.

Understand its limitations.

it_user793656
Executive Director at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
Helps us meet NCOA verification requirements for bulk mailings via USPS

• "Enables us to send out bulk mailings when we need to verify NCOA."
  • "​If I had multiple Excel files open and ran Listware it would crash Excel, charge the credits, and not save the results."

What is our primary use case?

We need to verify NCOA for sending out bulk mailings.

How has it helped my organization?

NCOA address verification was a requirement from USPS to send out the mailers. This was the only option that charged per address, which was extremely helpful since we are a small non-profit school. We didn't need the 10,000+ list verification services that the other providers offered.

What is most valuable?

Enables us to send out bulk mailings when we need to verify NCOA.

What needs improvement?

Once a list is processed it gives a report, which is great. However, if there was a section with report history, that would be very helpful.

I haven't needed it.

It was unique given the type of application, but it was easy to set up. Plug and play.

By far the best pricing and licensing option we have found for a small organization, since we can buy credits in small increments and they don't expire.

We evaluated top results in Google.

What other advice do I have?

Pick what fits your needs, ask around.

it_user793653
Administrative Assistant
We don't have to spend an entire month gathering correct information on leads

• "We have only been using this for about two months, but it has sped up our processing significantly. It makes data mining easy and fast. We don't have to spend an entire month gathering correct information on leads. All we need is a list of home addresses, and in minutes we have names and phone numbers to increase our chance of these leads becoming customers."
  • "I wish there was a way to do a "test run" and see what a particular format will give you."

What is our primary use case?

We use Listware Online to get personal information from home addresses.

How has it helped my organization?

We have only been using this for about two months, but it has sped up our processing significantly. It makes data mining easy and fast. We don't have to spend an entire month gathering correct information on leads. With LWO, all we need is a list of home addresses, and in minutes we have names and phone numbers to increase our chance of these leads becoming customers.

What is most valuable?

It's most useful in getting us names of homeowners. The phone numbers also make it convenient and easy to contact potential leads. This allows us to personalize postcards to advertise our services.

No issues.

We have not needed much help, but the help we have gotten has been quick and simple.

It was very simple and easy. I was able to do it with minimal assistance, as it is very easy to understand.

Be sure, before you spend your credits, that you have everything set up the way you want.

Zscrubber. Melissa Listware Online is much easier.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10. It gets us all the information we need quickly and easily. It's convenient to be able to simply upload a spreadsheet and use a predetermined template; it only takes a few minutes to process.

it_user793650
Manager of Application Development (Web Team) at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us reduce UPS charges for incomplete or bad addresses

What is our primary use case?

Customer address verification.

How has it helped my organization?

Decreased charges incurred from UPS for incomplete or bad addresses.

What is most valuable?

Address verification. It ensures our customers get their packages, and we aren’t charged for incomplete address information.

What needs improvement?

Further improved address data. Also, I'd generally prefer an API-based solution going forward, and one that does fraud verification at the same time.

No issues.

Supportive as needed. Have not required…

What is our primary use case?

Customer address verification.

How has it helped my organization?

Decreased charges incurred from UPS for incomplete or bad addresses.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Further improved address data.

No issues.

Supportive as needed. Have not required much support.

There are some hitches, especially with the new encoding, but otherwise it’s relatively simple.

Generally, the cost is ROI positive, depending on your shipping volume.

Yes, we evaluated other options. Not disclosing them at this time.

What other advice do I have?

I would also check out EasyPost and Whitepages and see what solution works best for you.

it_user793647
Product Specialist / Senior Business Analyst
Allows users of our product to know what industry a given business is in

• "We only use the one feature for the NAICS code. This allows our product users to know what industry a business is in."
  • "To continually update the database with NAICS codes on businesses."

What is our primary use case?

We utilize Melissa Data’s Business Coder product to return the NAICS code on businesses, based on business name and address. We bundle it with our own product to return the business’ industry.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization does not use it directly. We use it in our product that we sell to other businesses.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Since we only use one service, and that is only to obtain the NAICS code on a company, the only suggestion is to continually update the database with NAICS codes on businesses.

Less than one year.

We haven’t used any Melissa Data technical support.

Our programmers did the API install. As far as I know it went smoothly.

We also evaluated and requested a quote from Experian, which was far more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This serves our single need and we may utilize Melissa Data for other lookups, such as validate address lookup, in the future.

Test it out with real business data and validate that the industry is accurate. If not, send to Melissa Data and they will respond with more analysis and information. This was very helpful.

it_user793638
Property Investor
Gives us an assessed value of the property in question which helps us cull properties

• "It gives me an assessed value of the property in question. My partner and I are property investors, and it's good to get an assessed value to cull out properties that we're not interested in."
  • "It really hasn't given us a phone number for the owner of the property, and that's one thing I'd really like to be getting. Either a phone number or email."
  • "One thing I would want to have, when you're doing a property search, you can do it either on the FIPS in the APN number or the address itself. For some entries, I'll have the APN number, and some I'll have the address. Apparently it cannot process something when both the FIPS-APN and the address are on there. I have to sort, once with one and once with the other, which is a little bit of a pain."

How has it helped my organization?

It gives me an assessed value of the property in question. My partner and I are property investors, and it's good to get an assessed value. Other databases that we extract information from don't always give us that. So we're able to get an assessed value to cull out properties that we're not interested in.

What is most valuable?

Extracting the property in question, the owner's address, and the address coming off of the APN number.

Less than one year.

It seems pretty stable. I haven't seen any problems with it.

I haven't seen any problems yet. I do have to go through White Pages to try and get information about an owner, which is a different set. I'd love to see that incorporated in Melissa Data.

There was one time I was trying to figure out how to actually get the databases loaded and called up tech support. They were very helpful. They actually got online to get onto my desktop and see what was going on. It was very helpful. They were able to find my problems, and I was able to move on with it. Instantaneously getting on my screen and see what's going on was extremely helpful.

This is my first time using a solution like this.

It took me a little time. There are a couple of nuances that I had to struggle through, to first figure it out. Having tech support there really helped guide me through it. As far as getting the database formatted the way it should be, that took a little time to do. That may have been my problem as much as anything else.

I think it's worth the value for me to run it.

I just did a Google lookup and found Melissa Data, that's how I got there.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say it's a great product. If those are the parameters that you want to find, it seems to do real well.

What would make it a 10 out of 10 for me would be the improvements I mentioned above.

it_user793635
President
Dedupe helped us identify tens of thousands of duplicate records in data we purchased

• "We ran a standard name, address, and zip code, internal dedupe between the different files we had purchased, and we were able to quickly notify our vendor that they had tens of thousands of duplications that they were not even aware of."
  • "One of the problems that we ran into this year was we probably spent over 40 hours finding and trying to drill down to where specific bugs were in the program, which was a tremendous waste of time for us. There were a couple of updates to Windows this year, the program kept crashing. It happened on two different occasions over a period of a few months. Once we told them what the problem was - even though their tech support is great to work with - it literally took probably about two months to fix the issue where we could actually use the program the way we needed to use it."

How has it helped my organization?

We had a project where we had purchased data files. We ran a standard name, address, and zip code, internal dedupe between the different files we had, and we were able to quickly notify our vendor that they had tens of thousands of duplications that they were not even aware of, that we would have ended up paying for if we had not used the MatchUp software on the front end.

What is most valuable?

• Being able to open up large files
  • The extensive merge/purge capabilities

We handle large amounts of data, in the terabytes. It's important to be able to have a program that can handle that large amount of data at one time, and effectively do internal dedupes of the data itself.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems that we ran into this year was we probably spent over 40 hours finding and trying to drill down to where specific bugs were in the program, which was a tremendous waste of time for us. There were a couple of updates to Windows this year and the Melissa program kept crashing. It happened on two different occasions over a period of a few months. We were apparently the first firm that noticed it and reported it. They had problems figuring out what the problem was, so we had to drill down and spend a considerable amount of time, proving to them that it wasn't an issue on our end, but that it had something to do with the compatibility on their end with a Windows update.

Once we told them what the problem was - even though their tech support is great to work with - it literally took probably about two months to fix the issue where we could actually use the program the way we needed to use it. Two months is just too long to solve a problem on a program when we had just purchased the program earlier this year.

When there's a Windows update, they should check the program in detail to see if there are going to be any conflicts with that update, instead of waiting for their clients to spend countless hours solving the problem of why the program is crashing.

Also, it would be nice to be able to do a merge/purge of larger data sets. What I mean by larger data sets, data sets in the terabytes, without any crashing issues. But from talking to tech support, it's probably as good as it's going to get.

More than five years.

It was crashing a lot, that was one of the problems, it was crashing non-stop. It took them a couple of months, after we had conveyed to them what the specific problems were, but they finally got it fixed where it was no longer crashing.

It has good capability. It probably has about as good a capability as what it's ever going to have.

The tech support people are very accommodating. They're very receptive, they're very knowledgeable.

When you're learning any software program, it takes a little while, but we've used several programs from Melissa over years, MatchUp, Personator, RightFielder, Dirty Harry. MatchUp is fairly straightforward as far as how to use it. It's probably simpler to learn than most of your other merge/purge type programs that are available out there.

We just researched on the internet. There weren't a lot of choices - we're going back probably 13 years - back then as there are now.

What other advice do I have?

I know Melissa has gone the route where everything is going to the cloud, where you have to pay an ongoing annual fee. We specifically want to use a desktop solution, not a cloud solution - which is the direction many other firms are going, they're going to a cloud solution. But we prefer using a standalone desktop solution, where we are purchasing the software program one time, plus occasional updates, as opposed to having to use the cloud, based on the volume of use.

In terms of advice to others, if you have a large file with many, many terabytes, break it down into smaller files, the program will typically process it a lot quicker.

The best way to learn is try some small test files to see if it's working the way you want it to work, as far as your math logic. A lot of times you have to set up your own unique math logic combinations in order to get the results that you want.

I give it an eight out of 10 overall, because it does involve the cloud, and it can handle unusually large data files.

However, it's not a 10 because, if you don't have the threads set correctly - they have a multi-thread option - if you don't have those threads set correctly it will, in certain instances, cause your program to crash.

it_user793632
Retired
Significantly cuts down on the time needed to match names to addresses

• "It cuts down significantly on time in trying to match names to addresses. I can do in a few hours what would otherwise take days to accomplish."
  • "Many issues, sometimes I have to completely log out and start over."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use name and address lookups and Listware Online for mass mailings.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Listware Online. I can enter a list of addresses and get names of residents, whether owners/renters, and their phone numbers.

What needs improvement?

Many issues, sometimes I have to completely log out and start over.

I have never used tech support.

Polk Data.

Easy, but I did not purchase a big package; I have mostly taught myself the program.

Pricing is very reasonable.

Various reverse address, reverse name people search programs; none of them worked for what I need.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on your needs, it is adequate. My need is simply an easy lookup system for mailings.

it_user793629
Product Design Consultant
Enables us to verify user addresses during onboarding, creating valid, consistent data

• "The customers' addresses are now complete, correct and follow one consistent format."
  • "More countries should be supported by Melissa."

What is our primary use case?

We use Melissa during subscriber onboarding and the KYC process to verify a provided address.

How has it helped my organization?

The customers' addresses are now complete, correct and follow one consistent format. This ensures the delivery of services/products, and all data to be consistent and valid.

What is most valuable?

Address searching and verification. The user can quickly search for an address and verify it in a multi-country setup.

What needs improvement?

More countries should be supported by Melissa.

We did not encounter any issues.

We did not encounter any issues.

We have been provided with the highest level of support up to now.

We used local products but decided to switch to Melissa where they support multiple countries at the same time.

It was straightforward. There was documentation that was easily read and understood. A dedicated Melissa contact responded to our clarification questions and we were able to integrate with Melissa without any issues.

We advise our customers to buy the high volume bands of Melissa.

We investigated various solutions and decided that Melissa was the best fit for our business and customers’ businesses needs.

What other advice do I have?

Melissa offer a high quality product with great service. Their pricing is also very competitive.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a billing and CRM vendor and use Melissa as our data quality partner, with the Melissa APIs being embedded in the standard release of our product.
it_user791220
Office Services Manager at a government with 51-200 employees
NCOA keeps our membership addresses up to date

What is our primary use case?

NCOA to keep our addresses up to date.

How has it helped my organization?

Our membership addresses are kept up to date.

What is most valuable?

Getting the most up to date address for our members. We like to keep in touch with membership a few times a year so we want to maintain up to date addresses to be sure they receive any information that we mail to them.

What needs improvement?

It will mix up family members at times, so we will change addresses at times that shouldn’t be changed.

Good. …

What is our primary use case?

NCOA to keep our addresses up to date.

How has it helped my organization?

Our membership addresses are kept up to date.

Good.

No previous solution.

Yes, but too long ago, I don’t remember which.

it_user791217
Business Intelligence Developer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Streamlines address cleansing to improve duplicate identification and geocoding

What is our primary use case?

Cleansing addresses of referring healthcare facilities to improve duplicate identification and geocoding their addresses.

What is most valuable?

Address parsing Cleansing Standardization SSIS integration

No issues.

Have not had to use technical support.

Nothing previously.

Simple.

Did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a specific strategy…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

• Address parsing
  • Cleansing
  • Standardization
  • SSIS integration

No issues.

Have not had to use technical support.

Nothing previously.

Simple.

Did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a specific strategy wrapped around its use so that you can fully utilize its capabilities.

SV
Powerbuilder Consultant at a government with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to validate any address entered into our system and get precise geocoding

• "We use their GeoPoints to get the most precise, rooftop level geocoding."

What is our primary use case?

We use Personator to validate any address entered into our system. We also use their GeoPoints to get the most precise, rooftop level geocoding. We do not use the name, email, or phone validation built into Personator.

We use Express Entry Service to fuzzy search; in case there are multiple matches for the address entered, we present them to the user to pick the right one.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to use a third-party product that had to be installed and maintained onsite. Since we switched to Melissa Data web services, we do not need to maintain those servers and/or software. Also, we get the most up-to-date addresses from USPS.

What is most valuable?

Address validation, standardizing and formatting.

In the three years we have been in production with this, we haven’t seen any major issues.

No issues. In fact, we have increased our request volume in the last three years and they have been able to accommodate us easily and smoothly.

Excellent. I mostly contact Jason Chapple who provides front-level support and, if it is something he cannot handle, he forwards it to their technical team which responds with a ticket number immediately. In the last three years we had a few questions about their address validation/formatting, but those turned out to be non-issues.

They also have good documentation and their lookup sites are good for validating results.

We had to write a new Java client to use this service in our application. The complication is only in terms of integrating that into our legacy software. Otherwise, their software/API is pretty straightforward to use.

We did a RFP with various vendors. This one was the most accurate and most reasonably priced for our purpose.

The price for address validation is similar in all software. However, price for geocoding decides the actual pricing. If you get their most accurate geocoding (called GeoPoints), then it will add about $10k+ per million requests.

They were willing to work with our preferred vendors, though it involved extra steps to get the license.

Yes, we tried Pitney Bowes, Service Objects, Trillium, Texas A&M, Informatica. We also considered USPS and Google Maps, though they didn’t fit into our model.

What other advice do I have?

• I suggest you try both their online product and batch mode. If they provide a sample program to consume their (web) services, then try that as well.
    • When we selected the product, we got an evaluation license for the products and tried some of the most difficult addresses in our database (based on use case).
    • I also suggest you negotiate to send them a sample file with at least 1000 addresses that they can process and send back validated and geocoded. Then, run the results against Google or other sites that are available out there to verify their results are correct.
    it_user790494
    Director of Software Development
    Helps me standardize data for better duplicate record checks

• "Standardizing allows me to more effectively check for duplicate/existing records. Verifying increases the value of the data."
    • "The SSIS component setup seems a little klunky."

What is our primary use case?

Cleanse, standardize, and verify addresses at point of entry into our primary system, via both UI and import processes.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to avoid costly duplication of data and effort. Additionally, verifying has increased the accuracy of our target marketing efforts.

What is most valuable?

Standardizing and verifying are equally important to me. Standardizing allows me to more effectively check for duplicate/existing records. Verifying increases the value of the data.

What needs improvement?

The SSIS component setup seems a little klunky, but otherwise the product does what I expect.

No issues.

We haven't needed it much, so I can't address this.

We had nothing previously.

Straightforward.

It's affordable.

No. I've used Melissa Data zip code products in the past, and became interested in their additional offerings.

What other advice do I have?

It's pretty easy to implement inline in a website and Windows application code. SSIS setup and configuration is a little klunky, but pretty easy to use.

it_user790491
    Director, Information Technology at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We are able to validate/correct addresses and use the new address if someone has moved

What is our primary use case?

Ability to link through web service and to set error status back.

How has it helped my organization?

Ability to validate addresses, make corrections to address. Also, if a person has moved, use the new address to send the mail and thus reduce the postage cost and reduce return mails.

What is most valuable?

Web service connections - easy to maintain synchronous connections.

What needs improvement?

Pricing model.

Very good.

Easy setup and easy code integration to…

What is our primary use case?

Ability to link through web service and to set error status back.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Web service connections - easy to maintain synchronous connections.

What needs improvement?

Pricing model.

Very good.

Easy setup and easy code integration to invoke the web service calls.

Yes, we did review other NCOA provider software.

Solution Architect (Data Scientist) at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    The SSIS workflow component has been valuable for me to recommend for enterprise-level production work.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

I was contacted by a products distribution company about using their technology. I was able to answer their questions, and then refer them to Melissa Data for further product support.

Room for Improvement

The use case I'm familiar with is for a merchant who was contrasting this technology with data from Dun and Bradstreet: so my recommendation is that Melissa Data purchase Dun and Bradstreet to combine their data breadth.

Both services have complementary but not identical databases: functionally, people should contact the sales teams at both organizations, see what trial they can get and to what degree the data satisfies their use case.

Customer service was excellent, and their technical team provides top support for people wanting to use the technology.

Their technical team provides top support for people wanting to use the technology.

Senior Project Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    On-premise Data Quality components ensures accurate mailing campaigns

What is most valuable?

We have a large volume of customers (millions) and this suite is the best priced for what we need.

We use the cloud version for NCOA and the on-premise version for the normal batch processing from our POS systems. The two components we use are the Contact Verify and MatchUp components.

Contact Verify: Ability to cleanse the name, phone, & address information. The codes that accompany the output record helps our system determine whose address is accurate and if not, what are the issues with the address. This software assists in more complete analysis of our customers.

MatchUp: Ability to "DeDupe" and retrieve possible customer matches which keeps our customer master clean and accurate.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we used DQSand an algorithm for matching and only updated valid address information quarterly. This caused returned mailing and upset customers. This suite has monthly updates to ensure we are up to date with recent new home construction and gives us the ability to modify the matching rules to our needs. We have seen a reduction of calls and returned mail.

I was referring to two different components: Contact Verify and MatchUp.
    Contact Verify: Our company runs campaigns for our membership and needs accurate address information. We previously "cleansed" and matched the incoming customer addresses but did not necessarily know if the address is valid until we ran our quarterly National Change Of Address process. Melissa Data's contact verify component is updated monthly with national addresses. When the address runs through the component the output is not only "cleansed" but tells if the address is valid (Cass certified) or if there is some other issue with the address.

MatchUp: The matching component has rules that can be modified to look at address or combo of columns to match.

What needs improvement?

Not in order of importance:

1. Ability to multi-thread. Currently we have to split the data into different paths to try to quicken processing time. In all fairness, we do have a very large customer master to match against.

2. Data types default to ANSI. If you add a column and you have everything else set to Unicode, you sometimes need to either redo the component or do a type conversion step after the output.

2. The ability to resize the selection windows in the components to see the entire field name.

3. Although you can get the component running rather quickly, to do the more complex matching takes more knowledge of the tool. Documentation & videos on the on-premise version is not very helpful. It takes some trial/error to see what the tool is actually doing.

4. License keys gave us problems this past year (previous years were fine). We were sent expired keys and keys that did not match our components. The environment variable does not always pick up so to ensure non-interruption the key needs to be typed in the configuration text files as well.

5. We log SSIS errors and information to assist in abends and audit. We capture only the 110 & 120 messages. If every output stream pin in the MatchUp output filter is not assigned, the SSIS log file fills with "110: Household Process:Warning: The output column "cass_first_name" (49) on output "OLE DB Source Output" (43) and component "Existing Households" (32) is not subsequently used in the Data Flow task. Removing this unused output column can increase Data Flow task performance." for each unused output stream.

Three years

Normal SSIS deployment of packages that contain components. The Melissa Data software itself, however, takes a lot of space on the hard drive so be aware of the space needs. There isn't any real clear instructions on doing an upgrade (it does not seem to delete the older, no longer needed files). Also make sure you have enough memory.

No issues with stability

We had found a bug that only appeared when trying to match over 94,000 records. The process hung and we could not identify without a lot of testing what was going on. Their support team worked with me to determine the issue.

We get timely update notices and address data file notices. Very responsive if an issue or question arises.

Technical support during normal work hours has been very good. The developers are very attentive and will answer questions quickly.

Whenever we find a bug their support team diligently works with us to determine the issue and to get it fixed. It is for this reason I agreed to assist them in rating their software.

DQS / Custom Algorithm - limitation on number of customers it can process and stale data.

We have in-house SSIS experts.

More accurate address information, less returned mail, less customer calls.

The pricing is very competitive and the product is robust enough to get the job done. Be sure you know what you are licensing. There are components that have similar functions but may not be what you need. As mentioned, we have everything we need in just the two components.

What other advice do I have?

We were not thrilled with the "phone home" requirement as we are skittish about opening a port and allowing 3rd party software to pass files. Luckily we found out it was required for the Geocoder component which we do not use. See link below for more information:

Business Data Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reduced direct mail errors.

Valuable Features

Data cleansing and geo coding.

Improvements to My Organization

Reduced direct mail errors

Room for Improvement

Update feature

Use of Solution

2 years

Database version issues

Customer Service: Great Technical Support: Great

Valuable Features

Data cleansing and geo coding.

Improvements to My Organization

Reduced direct mail errors

Room for Improvement

Update feature

Use of Solution

2 years

Database version issues

Great

Great

Software Solutions Architect at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Contact Address Verify Component.

How has it helped my organization?

Helped us to correct all the invalid addresses in our DB.

What needs improvement?

License tracking.

4 months

No. It was very easy to install on configure.

No. It is very reliable.

Excellent.

No, this was first one we have used. We evaluated other products but MD was better.

Yes. Very easy to install and configure.

In-house.

We are very pleased with the pricing but they need to have some good licence tracking mechanism.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to install and configure. Integrates well with Visual Studio Data Tools. Generates a unique key for every address it processes. Generates correct error codes whenever it corrects a address. Finally, it is very reliable.

Director of Business Intelligence at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Match process provided reliable single view of data. Email Address Soft Ping should be made real time within Personator.

Valuable Features:

• Very straightforward installation & Configuration steps. We configured Personator & Match process and part of our daily SSIS ETL load process.
    • Very Easy to use.
    • Procured missing customer information. We simply passed basic details of out customers like Name, Address, Phone Number and Personator application was able to append Emails, New Address if moved, Phone number, Geocode. Personator also standardizes existing customer information.
    • Match process provided reliable single view of data. We used it for de-duplication, matching & mastering customer records.

Improvements to My Organization:

• Data appends helped improve our Customer reach.
    • Improved Address and Email Quality.

Room for Improvement:

• Having Customer Primary and Secondary address will help us a lot as some Customers tend to use secondary addresses for business communication.
    • Email Address Soft Ping should be made real time within Personator.
    • Overall there is a room for improvement in Customer Address Appends and Email Appends.
    Information Technology Leader at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Better and standardized addresses in our systems.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

Better and standardized addresses in our systems.

What needs improvement?

Need to POC point of entry validation.

< 1Month

Easy to deploy with the help of my DBAs and Melissa Data tech support.

NA

Never tried.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: 9/10

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

Better and standardized addresses in our systems.

What needs improvement?

Need to POC point of entry validation.

< 1Month

Easy to deploy with the help of my DBAs and Melissa Data tech support.

NA

Never tried.

9/10

It was easy. In the installation documentation, they should mention that SQL server instance should be on the same server where Melissa Data software is installed.

In-house.

If we go ahead and buy the software, I am expecting <6 months.

Yes, I cannot name other vendors.

it_user467340
    Owner /CEO at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
    We now have less errors on catalog address labels.

What is most valuable?

Spelling of names Email addresses

How has it helped my organization?

We now have less errors on catalog address labels.

What needs improvement?

It changes names to what it thinks it should be when the spelling is different. It should not do this.

I’ve been using it for three years.

We have had no issues with the performance.

It has been able to scale for our needs.

Very good, although a lot of the time they were not aware of a problem that we were experiencing.

We wrote our own edits and…

What is most valuable?

• Spelling of names
    • Email addresses

How has it helped my organization?

We now have less errors on catalog address labels.

What needs improvement?

I’ve been using it for three years.

We have had no issues with the performance.

It has been able to scale for our needs.

We wrote our own edits and looked at each card.

It was easy to implement.

Be sure you know how much service you need so you don't pay more than you should.

What other advice do I have?

Do a free trial.

it_user150288
    Technical Lead/Solution Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Initial setup was straightforward but had some pain points while plugging it in the ETL.

What is most valuable?

Melissa Data Contact Verify

How has it helped my organization?

When we plugin the contact verify component in the ETL from Source Systems, it will greatly help in standardizing and cleansing the source data and help keep the downstream systems clean.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the product can be expanded to standardize and clean Telephone Numbers and TaxID’s/SSN’s.

1 year

Customer Service: Good…

What is most valuable?

Melissa Data Contact Verify

1 year

Good

Good

This was the first solution we used after the POC.

Straightforward but had some pain points while plugging it in the ETL.

We did it internally. Had to call them for some support.

Improved data quality by 30%

What other advice do I have?

Worth looking into it, if you have data quality issues and want cleaned data in your warehouse or applications.

Download our free Data Quality Report and find out what your peers are saying about Melissa, Informatica, Experian, and more!