Mendix Overview

Mendix is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Microsoft PowerApps: Mendix vs Microsoft PowerApps

What is Mendix?
The Mendix App Platform enables enterprise development teams to rapidly build, integrate, and deploy beautiful multi-device applications. Enterprise IT teams that need to quickly build innovative and differentiating applications in close collaboration with business stakeholders use Mendix.
Mendix Buyer's Guide

Download the Mendix Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Mendix Customers
Genzyme, TNT, Yahoo, Capgemini, Roche, D&B, Aegon, kpn, AZL, Sky, Arch, Penn State Univeristy, BancABC
Mendix Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SB
Industry Expert and Advisor at a financial services firm
Time required to build applications has been reduced by up to forty percent

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for agile development using low-code and no-code tools.

• "I think that the workflow and automation features are quite good."
  • "Overall, integration with the enterprise ecosystem needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

This solution has good coverage, but I think that their roadmap still needs more features and functions. It also needs better integration with the current stack. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Hardy-Jonck
Managing Director at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
It is a fast and agile solution.

What is our primary use case?

I have been using this solution for customer authentication, as well as scientific applications. It has performed brilliantly so far.

How has it helped my organization?

It has quick response times.

What is most valuable?

It is a fast and agile solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to help us be more productive. Also, while the documentation is good, the development box could be better.

It is exceptional.

It is very good.

Mendix was the only solution that had a paradigm to allow us to do what we…
Learn what your peers think about Mendix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mitchel Mol
CEO / Owner at Aelion - Netherlands
It is possible to create the same applications that more traditional platforms offer in a fraction of the time.

What is our primary use case?

Developing applications that focus on the business instead of just focusing on the technology. And by doing to achieving a short time to market and quick ROI.

What other advice do I have?

Contact a Mendix partner or Mendix for an initial POC this can usually be done within a couple of days to see the power of the rapid development with the Mendix platform. If you are still not convinced or are a developer yourself check out the developer.mendix.com community and training options that are freely available to anyone that registers for free.
Markus Travaille
Business Development Manager & Project manager at EGALiT
The development environment is model-driven, and our business engineers can make information models using it

What is our primary use case?

We are an implementation partner with Mendix. We build both custom projects and solutions. One of the solutions that we have provided to our customers is an MDM solution that we were planning to set up as a semi-product which allows for some customization with each customer. Mendix is a platform. All the solutions that we build, we build in the Mendix platform. We started using Mendix in 2012, and we founded our company in 2013. We are a very experienced Mendix team. We have two use cases. * To build complete back-end solutions for smaller companies. They are complete back-end solutions and… more »

• "The development environment is model-driven. We can use the information from this for our business engineers to make the information models, and they can also execute the model."
  • "What is lacking is the support of higher level modeling features, like the modeling you do is relatively low level, yet it is still close to programming. We would like to see a more business-oriented modeling environment, like BPMN."

What other advice do I have?

The learning curve for an experienced software engineer or information analyst, it is quite steep. If you do not have any of these backgrounds, it will take you somewhere between five to eight months to master the platform. It depends on your experience in Java programming or database programming, if you will go fast. If you do have experience in making functional technical designs of software languages, like UML and BPMN, you will learn it quickly. Therefore, it depends on your track record. If you want to see what it is capable of doing, you have to do a project with it, end-to-end and not…
Jack  Mojapelo
Software Developer at a non-tech company
Enables rapid development; Sprinter management tool provides project overview

What is our primary use case?

Mendix is used to develop an application that is used by the business to achieve business goals, such as easy data interaction, data storage, reporting and monitoring of business assets, and ticketing.

• "The integrated security saves a lot of time, especially when it comes to setting up user-roles and security. Also, database updates work automatically. There is no need to write queries to update the database, once you make an update."
  • "Needs multiple database connections so an app can directly read/write data to/from multiple databases. This would enable easy splitting of big applications that have complex entity relationships."
  • "I would also like to see automatic adjustment to the Java Heap, whenever an application load becomes too much for the application. It could also use hot database replication."

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of 10 because of the ability to rapidly build apps with Mendix. You could actually build an application as someone from the business side is explaining what the solution requires.
BK
Software Developer at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Strealines collaboration as well as Agile development

What is our primary use case?

I use this product in an internal development environment. Previously, I used Mendix when I was a consultant.

How has it helped my organization?

Mendix allows for faster development while saving on fewer FTWs (full-time workers). A win-win in most cases.

What is most valuable?

I like how Mendix is aimed at collaboration as well as Agile development. Overall, it makes it extremely easy to pick up and create a prototype.

What needs improvement?

They are already improving on this, but I would like to see more documentation as well as how-to documents. This will improve adaptation for future developers/companies.

Petar Vukmanovic
Software Business Engineer at Intonovi
Version control allows multiple team members to collaborate quite easily

What is our primary use case?

Mendix has a variety of usages, and its bottom line is to deliver a continuous integration system that will make your life easier during development, deployment, and testing of your apps. I primarily use it to develop large data systems and user-friendly applications that scale easily.

• "It's amazing that you can build web apps and mobile (hybrid) apps with one code base in a few clicks. It's a full continuous integration environment."
  • "Mendix has made a great deal of effort to provide its developers a healthy, modern environment for developing. First of all, it adopts Agile methodology by creating a SCRUM-based app where you can handle your user stories. Next comes version control, which really allows multiple team members to collaborate quite easily. And last but not least, Mendix modeler, which is your IDE for developing Mendix apps."
  • "It needs to provide an overview of model versioning control for the sake of the review process; better SCRUM board; an overview of model changes from the repository through Sprintr (SCRUM board). Also, a choice between versioning control system would be nice."
Ramli Somers
Chief Innovation Officer & Board member at TimeSeries
Provides Cloud Foundry-driven cloud environment with one-click deployment

• "Suite allows you to easily and smoothly integrate with pretty much anything. It is also cloud-enabled. It provides a full Cloud Foundry-driven cloud environment with one-click deployment."
  • "It could use a more comprehensive widget creation studio in the IDE."
it_user868635
Software Developer at Exp Realty
Enables us to rapidly create a complex application, but not ideal for front-end apps

What is our primary use case?

Mendix is being used for our ERP system. We needed to get away from multiple third-party software solutions and into an integrated single source of data. Mendix provides an app to control test and production servers, migrate code, handle revision control, log files, and Sprintr for Agile development.

• "Enables us to rapidly create a complex application. We are also able to customize features that stakeholders in the corporation want to see, something that could not be done with other software. Our workflows and processes have evolved and improved. The fast iterations allow us to be nimble, get feedback from users, and do rapid updates."
  • "Mendix code and coding logic are very visual. It looks like a flow chart rather than lines of code. Rapid development is what drew us to Mendix."
  • "Mendix is great for internal applications but not so great for a public-facing interface. It lacks a proper directory structure for public use. The URL will not change from page to page unless a deep link is created for each page. That makes it difficult to bookmark pages in the browser to view later on."
it_user768162
Senior Software Architect at a tech services company
The platform helps set up a proper software development architecture on an enterprise level

What other advice do I have?

It is a great platform that will help you solve hard business problems in a digital way.
it_user715149
CISSP at a retailer
Makes It Possible ​To Realize A Secure, Remote, Two-Way Interface With A LoRa Device

What other advice do I have?

Developing standardized programs even with a custom design interface is possible. Such easy Java interface possibilities make it possible for me to realize a secure, remote, two-way interface with a LoRa device, even with very little Java knowledge.
Consultant at a tech services company
It provides the tools for creating and deploying business applications.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have capable people working on your product who understand your needs and have enough experience. It is a tool that, when used correctly, can make app development very easy. However, it is still important to make the right design decisions in order to get a stable, performing app that is maintainable and knowledge transferable.
Business Engineer / Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
They have a stable release management so bugs get solved quickly​.

What other advice do I have?

In the university world model driven development has been talked about a lot but never realized its potential. Mendix is, in my opinion, the first product that realized the potential of model driven development. More products are are coming but for me Mendix still has the edge in this field. Just download Mendix and start playing with it. If you run in to trouble post your question in the forum and just check the product yourself if it is something for you.
Business Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mendix provides the ability to rapidly prototype ideas with the client on-site and on-demand, and have a functional application within a few hours.

What is most valuable?

Rapid development Prototyping

How has it helped my organization?

The ability to deploy functionality daily, weekly, or monthly has greatly increased our competitive advantage in the market.

More than 3 years

Customer Service: Enterprise level customer support, with strong user community Technical Support: Good

Yes, traditional development methodologies were found to be too slow and cumbersome

Business and Solutions Architect at a tech company with 51-200 employees
The tool chain allows one to model the business in the easy-to-use Business Modeller, then to deploy the app server with the model,

What other advice do I have?

Mendix requires adoption from the top and support for the teams that implement it to not be ham strung by IT. Do not approach Mendix like a “traditional” IT shop will : It requires a close integration with business, driven by Business for Business by IT rather than by IT for for business. It requires a model driven approach to solving problems that provides speed gains when describing solutions in its language rather than designing everything from scratch, think different, leverage models, accelerate delivery, speak business. They have good attention to detail and keep things simple and clean.
it_user430896
Systems Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reporting is extremely useful with fusion charts module.

What other advice do I have?

Expect to half your delivery time for new products/services to business. Mendix beats any other technology out there.
it_user427236
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The ease of use for complex development structures is good. T​he out of the box crud screens can be made more user friendly.

What other advice do I have?

I was involved developing a solution. We also did a site for skillsmap in mendix that was live for one and a half years.
Managing Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
In the pension project we worked in sprints of two weeks in which we created functionality which was going to be tested by the business instantly.
it_user422997
Systems Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to easily use web services and export and import files of different kinds is good.

What other advice do I have?

The Mendix developers and community continues to add useful features and add ons to the system which makes it better in every iteration.
it_user421557
Sr. Mendix developer / Lead Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is an immediate fit between delivered software and what the users really wants.

What other advice do I have?

Think about the type of product you want to develop. Mendix is great for internal software development or B2B SAAS solutions When working with large dataset or when userexperience is of great importance please rethink the use of this platform
it_user421554
Associate at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
I was able to construct real doable software in a very short time and show working POCs to the client.

What other advice do I have?

Find people who are willing to try something different, people with a teachable attitude. Mendix is a paradigm-shift and might not appeal to ego-centric developers in their comfort zone who want under-the-hood control. Instead they should be business orientated, concerned with delivering working software fast and interacting with clients.
Delivery Module Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
​To market time has been reduced as development time has come down a lot.

What other advice do I have?

Mendix is a good option for people looking for fast deployment and Multiple device support with single code. But they need to check if the licence cost fits to their budget. Other than that no issues. I have seen large scale applications also running in Mendix.
it_user414093
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It massively speeds up IT projects in comparison to more traditional approaches.

What other advice do I have?

Do the math, and take into account not just the money but also your user’s happiness and the ability to quickly respond to changing circumstances by changing your software.
it_user413343
Associate(Java Developer) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We were able to completely refactor middleware from SAP BPM to Mendix.

What other advice do I have?

The product is easy to use and learn. The tough part is orienting your thinking to a model driven solution, or to better put, to an effective optimized solution. This would require some practice and some challenging use cases.
it_user413280
Mendix Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
​Its graphic interface, which allows you to develop rapidly and in a structured way is a valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

You should try it. You can set up a new project for free in a very short time.
it_user8394
Manager of Operations with 501-1,000 employees
Mendix Application Builder
Mendix is a product (and company) that caught my attention in the recent days. It boasts of a very easy drag-and-drop UI builder, a business process modeler , a built-in collaboration workspace and an agile model built-in to each project. I started this off by signing up for the product. It appears that a “free” email account does not work. It required me to enter a corporate email account. Once I did that, registration was done quickly and I was able to download the product quickly. One cool feature I liked was that it made it really simple to invite other interested parties (in the organization) to get started. I was able to download and install the business modeler. I am running win7 with 4GB memory and it was no big deal to install and get it up and running Once up, I noticed…
Download our free Mendix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links