Mendix OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Mendix is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Microsoft PowerApps: Mendix vs Microsoft PowerApps

What is Mendix?
The Mendix App Platform enables enterprise development teams to rapidly build, integrate, and deploy beautiful multi-device applications. Enterprise IT teams that need to quickly build innovative and differentiating applications in close collaboration with business stakeholders use Mendix.
Mendix Buyer's Guide

Download the Mendix Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Mendix Customers
Genzyme, TNT, Yahoo, Capgemini, Roche, D&B, Aegon, kpn, AZL, Sky, Arch, Penn State Univeristy, BancABC
Mendix Video

Archived Mendix Reviews (more than two years old)

SB
Industry Expert and Advisor at a financial services firm
Time required to build applications has been reduced by up to forty percent

• "I think that the workflow and automation features are quite good."
  • "Overall, integration with the enterprise ecosystem needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for agile development using low-code and no-code tools.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has allowed us to reduce the time required for building applications.

What is most valuable?

The workflow and automation features are quite good and valuable.

What needs improvement?

Overall, integration with the enterprise ecosystem needs improvement.

I would like to see the inclusion of APIs that can help with the interoperability.

Two years.

Stability is ok. It is a bit stable, but we are seeing an increase in workload complexity, so they'll have to figure out a scaler.

I think that right now, the scale-out is quite ok. It is scalable.

We have more than twenty users including developers, system handlers, business analysts, testers, and DevOps. The DevOps team is really what really takes it ahead.

In terms of usage, there is a lot of interest in low-code and no-code tools. There are even other tools like OutSystems and others. There are also automation tools, such as RPA (Robotic Process Automation) tools. It is still an evolving market.

Technical support is quite okay, although as they expand they will probably have to increase their global support.

Before Mendix, we were looking at some open source solutions.

The initial setup was not too complex, but it took some time. I would say that it was mid-difficulty.

Our deployment took about four to six weeks, and then we used it for some of our application development builds. We took some of the agile projects and aligned them to that.

We used a system integrator for the implementation.

In terms of ROI, we have seen an approximate 30%-40% reduction in time that we require for building applications.

Initially, we started with a year for approximately $25,000, and if we need to expand the number of seats then we will increase it. There are no additional costs for us at the moment, but I think that if you need any professional services then they charge for them.

We evaluated OutSystems, Pega Platform, Google App Builder, and a few others.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has good coverage, but I think that their roadmap still needs more features and functions. It also needs better integration with the current stack.

Hardy-Jonck
Managing Director at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
It is a fast and agile solution.

What is our primary use case?

I have been using this solution for customer authentication, as well as scientific applications. It has performed brilliantly so far.

How has it helped my organization?

It has quick response times.

What is most valuable?

It is a fast and agile solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to help us be more productive. Also, while the documentation is good, the development box could be better.

It is exceptional.

It is very good.

Mendix was the only solution that had a paradigm to allow us to do what we…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

It has quick response times.

What is most valuable?

It is a fast and agile solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to help us be more productive.

Also, while the documentation is good, the development box could be better.

It is exceptional.

It is very good.

Mendix was the only solution that had a paradigm to allow us to do what we wanted to do with development.

It was straightforward.

I think the ROI is the:

• Skill
  • Execution
  • Vision
Learn what your peers think about Mendix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mitchel Mol
CEO / Owner at Aelion - Netherlands
It is possible to create the same applications that more traditional platforms offer in a fraction of the time.

What is our primary use case?

Developing applications that focus on the business instead of just focusing on the technology. And by doing to achieving a short time to market and quick ROI.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave the organizations I worked for the ability to create far more complex applications with a smaller team and in a shorter time frame. When we brought in external auditors they even confirmed the fact that what we build would take at least 50% more resources to develop in for example Java or .Net. Also, the fact that we don't have to take care of the basics during development, means we can focus on the actual business process and how to make the product work for the business.

What is most valuable?

• The speed and agility with which you can develop solutions with the Mendix platform
  • It is possible to create the same applications that more traditional platforms offer in a fraction of the time
  • You don't need to worry about the basics surrounding security, CRUD actions, integration, UX and many other things you need to create the same basics for when developing with traditional platforms

What needs improvement?

The document templates definitely need some love, they have been around for a while but no actual improvement have been done since they were released. At least not in terms of additional options like the web counterparts of the elements you have available have. Also, Mendix is even easy for non-developers to start developing apps with, however when the applications grows and gets more complex these type of users are not fully guided in making it as secure and performance as it should.

It would be great if the modeler could also start pointing in the right direction when it comes to that. Although Mendix did introduce the Mendix Application Quality Monitor which could help with this issue.

More than five years.

In the past, I encountered scalability issues that caused stability issues. Mendix can scale to multiple application servers but at the time it could not scale to more database servers, the only solution was, to add more resources to the single available database server.

I do believe that Mendix is trying to solve this with HP Helion and Cloud Foundry solutions which are horizontal and vertical scalable. I however haven't had any experience with these platforms in combination with Mendix yet.

The level of direct customer service and technical support is great when you are a paying customer or a Mendix partner, if you are not the support is limited to the forum which is mostly run by community members, however even Mendix personnel will answer your questions.

So I would say it is alright. They have improved it a lot the last couple of years, and they continue to improve as their user base grows.

I've developed applications with numerous products combined or stand alone: PHP, ColdFusion, Java, JavaScript (jQuery, Prototype, Vanilla), CSS2/3 and HTML4/5.

However not a specific platform like Mendix, the major difference is as I mentioned before the fact that you can fully focus on business process development instead of all the basic stuff like login, CRUD, etc. That's why my primary platform to develop with is currently Mendix.

The initial setup is really easy all you need to do is create a Mendix account, create a project, fill in some basics for the project like the name, choose a base theme and then you are good to go. You will automatically get a sandbox environment connected to it, which is basically a free node in the cloud environment from Mendix to test and share your application with others. Using the Mendix Sprint environment you can also easily share the Mendix model with others to either develop or just review the application.

I've worked at employers that where both the vendor partner team and client which used a vendor partner, currently I'm working on a project in which I'm the third party expert hired to implement the solution. My advice would be to always hire a Mendix partner or freelancer with a couple of years experience before you take over development. Starting the project is easy but it still takes some experience to really set a solid foundry if you look at the architecture of your application. This is something that Mendix Customer Satisfaction Managers can guide any new client with.

The fact that your development resources can be greatly reduced compared to those platforms will give you a better ROI.

I have personally not been directly involved with pricing/licensing for any of the projects I worked on. However, judging based on experience, I can say that Mendix is not more expensive than any serious competitor solution.

What other advice do I have?

Contact a Mendix partner or Mendix for an initial POC this can usually be done within a couple of days to see the power of the rapid development with the Mendix platform. If you are still not convinced or are a developer yourself check out the developer.mendix.com community and training options that are freely available to anyone that registers for free.

Markus Travaille
Business Development Manager & Project manager at EGALiT
The development environment is model-driven, and our business engineers can make information models using it

• "The development environment is model-driven. We can use the information from this for our business engineers to make the information models, and they can also execute the model."
  • "What is lacking is the support of higher level modeling features, like the modeling you do is relatively low level, yet it is still close to programming. We would like to see a more business-oriented modeling environment, like BPMN."

What is our primary use case?

We are an implementation partner with Mendix. We build both custom projects and solutions. One of the solutions that we have provided to our customers is an MDM solution that we were planning to set up as a semi-product which allows for some customization with each customer.

Mendix is a platform. All the solutions that we build, we build in the Mendix platform. We started using Mendix in 2012, and we founded our company in 2013. We are a very experienced Mendix team.

We have two use cases.

1. To build complete back-end solutions for smaller companies. They are complete back-end solutions and custom built for smaller companies.
  2. It is for larger enterprises and more for the innovative, differentiating application. So, custom built or semi-custom built innovative, differentiating capabilities on top of ERP and legacy systems.

Both use cases are a used, and we also built solutions in different companies. So, we have some smaller customers where we do the entire IT with Mendix. In addition, we have some very large customers (enterprise customers), where Mendix is the preferred local platform for all custom tools and innovative applications.

How has it helped my organization?

We built our organization around its capability, so we saw the opportunity of Mendix. We saw how Mendix in the market at that time struggled with the right commercial model. So, we built our organization around the platform's capabilities. We have two business units:

1. One unit does projects. That is the unit that does end-to-end projects for the customer. The customer, in this case, is the business who wants a cloud-based solution and doesn't care how it is done.
  2. The other service that we provide is in the Netherlands. Many customers who are adopting their own Mendix, low code teams. They need help and support with this. We provide, in a consulting services capacity, our experience to help them build their team.

We do two things on this level. Many customers start with projects and end up building their own team. This is our progress as we see it right now in the market, at least in the Netherlands, as there is a huge demand for these type of services. It is actually more difficult to find qualified personnel than find customers at this point.

What is most valuable?

1. The complete stack: You have a complete cloud operations, and everything is included. For every customer, wherever we go, we can provide a solution within a few days with a complete data environment in a very stable, high performance cloud.
  2. The development environment is model-driven. We really like this because we can use the information from this for our business engineers to make the information models, and they can also execute the model.
  3. We do not need programmers anymore, so it is a small team of business engineers who design and build the application without us needing to program. That makes our teams four to six times more productive, but also a lot smaller with no overhead and very flexible. It is something, and not every Mendix partner does this. A lot of them have still use analysts and programmers in different roles, but we do not do this. I like that we use the platform on this level. We stick within the core of the platform, so we don't do anything with custom Java or custom JavaScript.

What needs improvement?

Mendix is right now focusing on developer features while we would like to have more features for the information analyst. Mendix is not going this route because they clearly see the developer as their target group, while we like to see it as more of a tool for information analysts.

What is lacking is the support of higher level modeling features, like the modeling you do is relatively low level, yet it is still close to programming. We would like to see a more business-oriented modeling environment, like BPMN. However, that is not the direction Mendix is going. We are developing our own intellectual property in this direction. Thus, we are building it ourselves.

More than five years.

Stability is very good. The modeling environment has been very predictable since Mendix 5. Between versions 4 and 5, there was a big problem with them. Since Mendix 5 and Mendix 7, it has been very predictable. Every month, there is a new release and it has stable functionality, although it is not only the functionality. If you look at the cloud environment, it is very stable, especially since Mendix cloud is now run on Amazon. It has always been click and go, but it is even more impressive what they can do now.

Their current announcement that they also run a SAP Cloud and IBM Cloud makes it even more powerful.

We are able to run very high performance applications on very small Mendix app containers. That is because we design our solutions to be high performance from a design point of view. We have not used the Mendix horizontal and vertical scaling options that they provide. Therefore, I am not an experienced user with scalability, but I do know that we can make already quite high performance applications with a single app containers and they can be scaled vertically and horizontally.

Mendix is quite powerful. There are some limitations in Mendix. On the database level, there are still some layers between Mendix and the database. This means that some actions are not efficient, which might seem to be, and they have designed now a stateless architecture which also put some limitations of speed if you use a single instance. However, the stateless architecture allows you to spread horizontally your load. So, it has benefits and drawbacks. In general, it is good enough for what Mendix is supposed to be used for. There have not been any projects where we could not do them because of performance reasons.

We use technical support, for example, if there is a performance question, usually in the design phase. In the run time, we are so experienced in Mendix, having such high internal quality centers on what we want the applications to do when we stick within the core of the capabilities of Mendix, that we never contact support about this. In general, we are very infrequently calling support, maybe four times a year. So, we have some contact with support, but it is never about urgent issues. The experience that I have with that support is good, and usually the support engineers know what they are doing. So, no complaints about it.

Because we are an experienced partner, they know that question that we ask are relevant questions. I guess if you are an inexperienced user, and don't know how to ask questions to them, it could be different. However, we know exactly who to talk to and what to ask. As an experienced user, the experience might be different.

It is a little bit different because we have built our company around selling services from Mendix.

From a commercial point of view, we would like them to change that they currently sell it as a platform, but as a customer you have to decide upfront the usage of the platform. We would like to have Mendix sell it as a pay as you go model: You pay for what you use, and you don't pay for what you don't use. Mendix is currently refusing to do that, but their competition does not do it as well.

I understand that it is a risk for them. I told the commercial management about it, but there are several customers of ours who say, "We would like to adopt this platform, but we want to grow into the platform." Mendix does this, as they have a custom pricing if you buy the platform for multiple years, then you can get discounts in the first years to grow into the platform. However, I would really like them to have an Amazon model, where you can use it and pay per minute or hour, per user, etc. That is not available at this moment. I would like it, but their competition, like Salesforce, does not offer it either. Therefore, there is no real pressure on them to change.

1. When we found that we also had the option to choose OutSystems, we chose Mendix for the same reason I always advise my customers: the platforms. Mendix and OutSystems are basically the same, but there are some differences. The main difference for us was Mendix is a Dutch company and has a very large ecosystem of partners. So that there is something to choose from with healthy competition.
  2. Mendix has always been a more business-oriented platform than OutSystems. OutSystems is more targeted towards improving the developer productivity. Mendix is more about business IT alignment, and supporting the business. This is reflected in the functionality, and the way they build their solutions. Mendix is more like Apple. It is a one click, and everything worked, while OutSystems is more like Android. It is very competitive and great, but it has more technical capabilities and it is a little bit more complicated with too many features for business.

If you're looking for a model-driven low code platform, there are two worldwide leaders, like Mendix and OutSystems. You have some local products in the Netherlands, such as Betty Blocks, which are growing, but they are not as big as Mendix and OutSystems with national brand specific solutions. If you are looking for a global platform that is well established with the right reputation, Mendix and OutSystems are basically the ones to consider. If you are excluding model-driven as a criteria, then Salesforce is by far the largest. Salesforce is much larger than Mendix and OutSystems, but it is not model-driven. It depends whether you want model-driven or not.

Our shortlist was that it should be model-driven and provide all the infrastructure deployment, because we are not likely to hassle with the deployment, infrastructure, etc. Therefore, the main criteria were from a technical point of view:

• Is it model driven?
  • Does it allow us to build like administrative applications based on databases?
  • What does both the solution provider offer in terms of deployment options and what are all the systems which are available that we have to deploy ourselves?
  • Did we have to build our own cloud capabilities? We skipped this because it was too much work for us, and we did not want to build such an organization. Mendix provided us with the complete cloud, and we were happy with it.

What other advice do I have?

The learning curve for an experienced software engineer or information analyst, it is quite steep. If you do not have any of these backgrounds, it will take you somewhere between five to eight months to master the platform. It depends on your experience in Java programming or database programming, if you will go fast. If you do have experience in making functional technical designs of software languages, like UML and BPMN, you will learn it quickly. Therefore, it depends on your track record.

If you want to see what it is capable of doing, you have to do a project with it, end-to-end and not just looking at the technology.

• Do a project with the focus of learning, not the end result in mind, and learn from what you encounter.
  • Do a project, not a proof of concept, which does not help. It does not give you the insights you need.
  • Do a project, and it once you do the project, you have to do the second step, do multiple projects. If you have success with that, then go for platform.
  • Do a project, but start it with one end-to-end project, which should be small. It should not be too big, maybe between 20 to 50 business days of work. So, it is sort of manageable. If it fails, it does not cost you too much to do a project, that's what it magnifies.
  • If you have the resources to do a project with the two platforms, try them next to each other and see what the differences are.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementation partner.
Jack  Mojapelo
Software Developer at a non-tech company
Enables rapid development; Sprinter management tool provides project overview

• "The integrated security saves a lot of time, especially when it comes to setting up user-roles and security. Also, database updates work automatically. There is no need to write queries to update the database, once you make an update."
  • "Needs multiple database connections so an app can directly read/write data to/from multiple databases. This would enable easy splitting of big applications that have complex entity relationships."
  • "I would also like to see automatic adjustment to the Java Heap, whenever an application load becomes too much for the application. It could also use hot database replication."

What is our primary use case?

Mendix is used to develop an application that is used by the business to achieve business goals, such as easy data interaction, data storage, reporting and monitoring of business assets, and ticketing.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy document generation saves a lot of time. The integrated security also saves a lot of time, especially when it comes to setting up user-roles and security. Finally, database updates work automatically. There is no need to write queries to update the database, once you make an update.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to rapidly build applications.
  • Built-in management tool called Sprinter gives everyone involved in the development of the application an overview of the current state and progress of the application being built.
  • Supports collaborative development which minimizes the risk of having multiple developers working on a single piece of code.
  • Easy to integrate with both RESTful and SOAP web services. This is helpful because a lot of applications are dependent on others for data. For example, if you were to develop an app that does a background check on employees, you would integrate to systems like TransUnion to feed data to your application.

What needs improvement?

They need to enable multiple database connections so an app can directly read/write data to/from multiple databases. This would enable easy splitting of big applications that have complex entity relationships.

It could also use hot database replication.

Three to five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of 10 because of the ability to rapidly build apps with Mendix. You could actually build an application as someone from the business side is explaining what the solution requires.

BK
Software Developer at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Strealines collaboration as well as Agile development

What is our primary use case?

I use this product in an internal development environment. Previously, I used Mendix when I was a consultant.

How has it helped my organization?

Mendix allows for faster development while saving on fewer FTWs (full-time workers). A win-win in most cases.

What is most valuable?

I like how Mendix is aimed at collaboration as well as Agile development. Overall, it makes it extremely easy to pick up and create a prototype.

What needs improvement?

They are already improving on this, but I would like to see more documentation as well as how-to documents. This will improve adaptation for future developers/companies.

Petar Vukmanovic
Software Business Engineer at Intonovi
Version control allows multiple team members to collaborate quite easily

• "It's amazing that you can build web apps and mobile (hybrid) apps with one code base in a few clicks. It's a full continuous integration environment."
  • "Mendix has made a great deal of effort to provide its developers a healthy, modern environment for developing. First of all, it adopts Agile methodology by creating a SCRUM-based app where you can handle your user stories. Next comes version control, which really allows multiple team members to collaborate quite easily. And last but not least, Mendix modeler, which is your IDE for developing Mendix apps."
  • "It needs to provide an overview of model versioning control for the sake of the review process; better SCRUM board; an overview of model changes from the repository through Sprintr (SCRUM board). Also, a choice between versioning control system would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

Mendix has a variety of usages, and its bottom line is to deliver a continuous integration system that will make your life easier during development, deployment, and testing of your apps. I primarily use it to develop large data systems and user-friendly applications that scale easily.

How has it helped my organization?

It's amazing that you can build web apps and mobile (hybrid) apps with one code base in a few clicks. It's a full continuous integration environment. Full focus on the business case needs and not on implementation.

Speeds up the development by a factor of several times over regular development.

What is most valuable?

Mendix has made a great deal of effort to provide its developers a healthy, modern environment for developing. First of all, it adopts Agile methodology by creating a SCRUM-based app where you can handle your user stories. Next comes version control, which really allows multiple team members to collaborate quite easily. And last but not least, Mendix modeler, which is your IDE for developing Mendix apps. Speed and rapid software development within Mendix is a breeze. We at Intonovi absolutely love it.

What needs improvement?

• Overview of model versioning control for the sake of the review process
  • Better SCRUM board
  • Provide an overview of model changes from the repository through Sprintr (SCRUM board)
  • A choice between versioning control system would be nice

Ramli Somers
Chief Innovation Officer & Board member at TimeSeries
Provides Cloud Foundry-driven cloud environment with one-click deployment

• "Suite allows you to easily and smoothly integrate with pretty much anything. It is also cloud-enabled. It provides a full Cloud Foundry-driven cloud environment with one-click deployment."
  • "It could use a more comprehensive widget creation studio in the IDE."

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to service our customers in a way that differentiates us. This makes us more competitive and able us to expand our business.

What is most valuable?

• Integrates - Suite allows you to easily and smoothly integrate with pretty much anything.
  • Cloud-enabled - It provides a full Cloud Foundry-driven cloud environment with one-click deployment.
  • Digital execution - Mendix provides a complementary program to drive digital execution, so you not only get a platform but also instruction on how to leverage it best.
  • Super fast - I can develop full apps in weeks instead of years.

What needs improvement?

It could use a more comprehensive widget creation studio in the IDE.

it_user868635
Software Developer at Exp Realty
Enables us to rapidly create a complex application, but not ideal for front-end apps

• "Enables us to rapidly create a complex application. We are also able to customize features that stakeholders in the corporation want to see, something that could not be done with other software. Our workflows and processes have evolved and improved. The fast iterations allow us to be nimble, get feedback from users, and do rapid updates."
  • "Mendix code and coding logic are very visual. It looks like a flow chart rather than lines of code. Rapid development is what drew us to Mendix."
  • "Mendix is great for internal applications but not so great for a public-facing interface. It lacks a proper directory structure for public use. The URL will not change from page to page unless a deep link is created for each page. That makes it difficult to bookmark pages in the browser to view later on."

What is our primary use case?

Mendix is being used for our ERP system. We needed to get away from multiple third-party software solutions and into an integrated single source of data. Mendix provides an app to control test and production servers, migrate code, handle revision control, log files, and Sprintr for Agile development.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Mendix code and coding logic are very visual. It looks like a flow chart rather than lines of code. Rapid development is what drew us to Mendix.
  • It is easy to create prototype pages without a lot of development, once the Entity (table) is created.
  • You can generate a page with a few clicks, using the default features after proof of concept, then develop the logic behind the page.

What needs improvement?

Mendix is great for internal applications but not so great for a public-facing interface. It lacks a proper directory structure for public use. The URL will not change from page to page unless a deep link is created for each page. That makes it difficult to bookmark pages in the browser to view later on. A feed can be created for other public UI solutions.

it_user768162
Senior Software Architect at a tech services company
The platform helps set up a proper software development architecture on an enterprise level

What is most valuable?

There is not one feature that is better than the others. All are good because it is a platform and the features work well together.

The power is in the entire solution provided. You have one answer for:

• MDD - Model Driven Development
  • DTAP - Develop Test Acceptance Production environments
  • Visual web app editor
  • Visual database editor
  • Mobile and web app development
  • The ability to deploy to any major cloud hosting system, like AWS, Azure, and now SAP cloud.
  • Integrated support for Agile software development and the SCRUM working method.
  • Strong front-end development options out-of-the-box, easy to extend new features, and isolating front-end functionality, yet giving the possibility to integrate with the platform.

How has it helped my organization?

We can deliver six times faster than working with regular third generation languages.

Also, the platform helps set up a proper software development architecture on an enterprise level.

"Security by design" is also a phrase for Mendix.

What needs improvement?

I see little to no improvements to its core functionality since Mendix 7 was rolled out, creating web apps for businesses.

From Mendix 6 until 7, options on creating mobile apps have improved, but offline capabilities are not mature enough. Still, this gets a good focus within the company, so I believe this will be something of the past soon enough.

I worked at Mendix in 2014. I did not stop using it when I left the company in 2015, so three years.

No issues.

Yes, the Mendix Cloud out-of-the-box does not support autoscaling.

I would give the technical support a 10 out of 10 rating.

I have worked with many third generation languages (Java/.NET /PHP) and have found that you still need an extra third party software next to the development environment provided to come up with the same toolset as the Mendix platform.

The initial setup was both straightforward and complex.

The prices are fair for an enterprise product that has a target audience of big companies/enterprise companies.

Not applicable. I am a Mendix consultant delivering Mendix solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great platform that will help you solve hard business problems in a digital way.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: An official implementation partner.
it_user715149
CISSP at a retailer
Makes It Possible ​To Realize A Secure, Remote, Two-Way Interface With A LoRa Device

What is most valuable?

Built-in security, easy of use, support and available examples of how to use it.

The built-in security makes security-by-design from the start possible. The local modeler is easy to use. For the few occasions that I need support, after a beginner's fault, it's available, as is the cloud solution. The many available Mendix software examples make it possible to develop using of existing solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

I use it to learn how to program Mendix.

What needs improvement?

Indeed nothing is 100% perfect. But who am I to say what should be better? Nevertheless, I think Mendix is very strong if you want to store and retrieve something in a database. My personal experience with connecting the LoRa device (which itself is not fully developed yet, so the interface requirements are not fully known) is that it has been a hard job to get done. Be aware that I’m a Java developer so loading the encryption, hashing and decryption libraries was hard for me to find. On the other hand, interfacing with new Internet of Things (IoT) devices creates endless possibilities.

A half year.

It is very stable and there is 24/7 support.

Very good support if you have a problem.

Simple, and there is a free course which shows all the in and outs of how to use the modeler to design and develop a solution. It helps, but it's not necessary if you have Java experience, for those cases where you want to go further than the standard.

What other advice do I have?

Developing standardized programs even with a custom design interface is possible. Such easy Java interface possibilities make it possible for me to realize a secure, remote, two-way interface with a LoRa device, even with very little Java knowledge.

Consultant at a tech services company
It provides the tools for creating and deploying business applications.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable is the fact that the Mendix platform provides all the tools for creating and deploying business applications in one complete package. You do not have to understand all the "nitty-gritty" technical details that lie underneath.

This allows for a developer like me, who is most interested in designing the process, to realize the technical solution from start to finish.

How has it helped my organization?

Since Mendix requires less deep technical knowledge, it allows more business and process minded developers to become really successful Mendix developers/consultants.

This allows for a different way of working in my organization, where there is no longer a gap between the business and technical oriented professionals.

What needs improvement?

Pricing: Development is free, but deploying applications in production requires a monthly fee, based on the amount of users.

This makes Mendix unfit for small businesses, since they can rarely afford high monthly costs. Also, Mendix cloud charges ridiculous monthly fees for data storage.

We have used this solution for four and a half years.

When the design of a solution is sub-optimal, the service can get very slow or crash because of too many database calls, or too big Java heap sizes.

There have been scalability issues. Think about scalability early on, so you don't have to refactor your design when you are already in production.

I would give technical support a rating of 9/10. Support is usually quite fast and bug fixes are quickly realized for paying customers.

We did not use anything previously.

The setup is very straightforward. Download the right modeler and start building apps!

Think about the amount of simultaneously used logged-in users the app should support. The more business apps you decide to realize in Mendix, the cheaper it gets.

Also, think about where you want to host your app (Mendix cloud or on-premise) and compare prices, especially if you want to store a lot of data.

We didn't look at other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have capable people working on your product who understand your needs and have enough experience.

It is a tool that, when used correctly, can make app development very easy.

However, it is still important to make the right design decisions in order to get a stable, performing app that is maintainable and knowledge transferable.

Business Engineer / Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
They have a stable release management so bugs get solved quickly​.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is that you can create applications real fast. Forget large software teams. Alone or with small teams one can accomplice products in days that would take other software development teams months. Key features are that the product is flexible can connect with other applications using standards like SOAP, REST or OData.

We use Mendix as our software platform for building our HR solution. For each client of ours we buy a Mendix license so our clients can use our HR solution. Our product runs in the Mendix cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Clients are at first amazed that product feedback gets realized in days while other with other software vendors, things only get realized after months or never at all. Bugs are solved most of the time the next day.

What needs improvement?

Creating better document templates would be nice. You can achieve what you want but not a speedy as you can do everything else.

Since 2010

Deploying to the Mendix cloud are painless. And there are a lot of new option if you want to host your model in a different environment like Clound Foundry etc.

It is stil software that as all software can still have bugs. But Mendix responds very well in that area. They have a stable release management so bugs get solved quickly.

We have had no issues scaling it to our needs. You can either scale by using multi tenancy or as we did use the same model for multple customers.

The customer support is awesome. Of course they need to be able to reproduce the bug, but they are very helpful.

The best part of Mendix is the user forum. There you get answers in hours. Only in the rare case that no answer will be given you need to contact the support desk, but most of the time Mendix will answer the question in the forum. The developers are also there to provide knowledge. Even with the most difficult technological questions they will give their view on how to solve your problem.

The Cordis platform was used before we got to know Mendix. Cordis was just a failure that did cost us a lot of money with no result.

Even if you do not know the platform at all you can learn to build Mendix applications in hours even with no program experience. It is better to have a good knowledge of your business processes than knowing how to program. That last part is easier learned than the other way around.

If you use the cloud setup implementation is a breeze. All our clients use the cloud based solution. We can bring a client live in a day if we want to.

Since the developer version is free you do not need to invest to start working with the modeler. You can even deploy to a free slot where you can demo to a client the sollution you made. So you only start paying after you closed your first deal with a customer.

For small companies the pricing can be a bit steep. The gap between the free version and a paid version is to big in my opinion.

What other advice do I have?

In the university world model driven development has been talked about a lot but never realized its potential. Mendix is, in my opinion, the first product that realized the potential of model driven development. More products are are coming but for me Mendix still has the edge in this field.

Just download Mendix and start playing with it. If you run in to trouble post your question in the forum and just check the product yourself if it is something for you.

Business Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mendix provides the ability to rapidly prototype ideas with the client on-site and on-demand, and have a functional application within a few hours.

What is most valuable?

Rapid development Prototyping

How has it helped my organization?

The ability to deploy functionality daily, weekly, or monthly has greatly increased our competitive advantage in the market.

More than 3 years

Customer Service: Enterprise level customer support, with strong user community Technical Support: Good

Yes, traditional development methodologies were found to be too slow and cumbersome

What is most valuable?

Rapid development

Prototyping

More than 3 years

Enterprise level customer support, with strong user community

Good

No, there is alot of support for getting started, from videos to tutorials.

in-house

What other advice do I have?

Mendix has a unique place in the market and is a great tool. Ensure that you are using it for the correct product/project -- one size doesn't fit all.

Business and Solutions Architect at a tech company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

Mendix provides the big-picture to the detail and the detail to the big-picture and they do that well. The tool chain allows one to model the business in the easy-to-use Business Modeller, then to deploy the app server with the model, deploy the DB schema to the database and have it running with : One click. They wrap all of this detail, in a big picture platform by integrating everything into the software development life cycle that provides the techies with the detail of what to do next and the business owner with where things are and how long they will take. The most valuable feature is being fast without painting yourself into a corner.

How has it helped my organization?

Mendix has helped to dissolve the divide between “business” and “IT”, between business speak and technical jargon, between classical project management and disciplined agile delivery. It reduces friction to deliver projects iteratively and reduce time to market and helps change the organisational culture, if the culture is open to this. In short, Mendix has improved our ability to delight our customers.

What needs improvement?

We need better support for master data management, consuming corporate dictionaries and exporting the models to others. We also need better reporting and visualisation as this is a critical part of each app and currently the reporting side has to rely on external BI tools. Additionally, we need better support for quickly integrating with external data sources without writing code or reliance on ETL tools. A Mendix profiler will also help and lastly, a multi window business Modeller so that one can use the Modeller more productively on two monitors.

We've used it for six years, since 2010.

There are very rarely issues with the deployment.

We have had Mendix apps that were not maintained properly and left to tick over that were difficult to keep stable and upgrade due to large databases and insufficient resources : This is more due to a lack of engineering than anything related to Mendix. But because Mendix makes things easy, clients often feel like it does not require the same engineering disciplines and this sets up a client for deployment, stability and scalability issues.

Generally there have been no issues scaling. Keep in mind that Mendix runs on a RDBMS as its main persistent store and as such will scale with the data base. We find that the Mendix App server is only the bottle neck on tight loops over LOTS of data and when using dynamically calculated values. However, this is not typical use cases for Mendix and can be avoided by using microservices that do tight loop/ETL, simulation etc. work loads and leave complex business processes to Mendix.

At times when we hit a serious bug, Mendix has always been quick to respond and fix the issue. The user forums are active and Mendix staff is encouraged to provide answers. In general, quite good. Can always be better but in comparison to other large tech companies, they like to please and help.

We evaluated a number of tools that claimed to offer productivity platforms and model driven development. The success of Mendix is of course using it where it is strong. Mendix is not an BI or ETL tool and we rather use Mendix in collaboration with a number of tools like Blaze, Talend, YellowFin etc. Why Mendix? Its model driven approach is superior rather than a code generator as used by many other productivity platforms. This keeps you fast rather than being fast in the start of the project. A model driven approach makes it possible to focus on solving the problem at hand rather than tinkering with code that has to be maintained in three months.

Mendix is not a "RAD" tool and there really is nothing like it, similar tools have started appearing and the approach is catching on. Model Driven tools differ in philosophy and implementation and needs a different mind set to leverage optimally.

Mendix presents a deceptively simple environment that seems too shallow for many techies, but is not. It does present a completely different paradigm and team culture and to leverage Mendix a change in corporate culture might be required. From us and them, to a integrated innovative whole where technologists can focus on delivering value to the rhythm of business demands. Convincing classical techies might be a challenge and this often limits the success of implementations.

We started off by seeding our team culture the Mendix culture by working with them on a number of projects. Since then we have grown a number of teams for ourselves and our clients. Advice: Get a Mendix Engineer to seed the different culture and flourish from there, it will put your investment on a faster benefit-track. However, this is not required and growing organically might work depending on your lead Mendix engineers’ propensity to innovate, integrate and deliver business value.

ROI is dependent on the importance of a “fast time to market”. If a fast time to market is not a determinant, then write assembly or C, else Mendix might have a part to play.

Mendix can be expensive if you stare at the bottom line and compare it to traditional tech - which is flawed. Think big picture and time to market with a few bright resources rather than micromanagement and a army of developers and it might lead one to realise that saving a number of salaries, training, career building and hand holding might be a bigger saving than your average capex/opex watching manager can see. Mendix is negotiable on licensing and will try to make the project where possible.

We had a look at OutSystems, some open source initiatives and BPM tools.

What other advice do I have?

Mendix requires adoption from the top and support for the teams that implement it to not be ham strung by IT. Do not approach Mendix like a “traditional” IT shop will : It requires a close integration with business, driven by Business for Business by IT rather than by IT for for business. It requires a model driven approach to solving problems that provides speed gains when describing solutions in its language rather than designing everything from scratch, think different, leverage models, accelerate delivery, speak business.

They have good attention to detail and keep things simple and clean.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a client, a partner and we sell Mendix to our clients
it_user430896
Systems Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reporting is extremely useful with fusion charts module.

Valuable Features

• Excel Importer : seamless to map data from a raw excel sheet into a structured database
  • Community common library : Useful java method to add powerfull functionality to your application with just a few clicks
  • Excel Exporter : Exporting data to Excel is a breeze
  • AvayaDialer: Integrating your application with avaya telephony suite is power and extremely useful especially for call center applications
  • Rest Service : Integration to rest services is now quick and easy with Mendix ( can take some time to configure but once you done it, it’s so simple)
  • FusionCharts : Reporting in ,Mendix is awesome and extremely useful with fusion charts module. Very powerful indeed

Room for Improvement

In the next version I would like the Rest Service Module to be incorporated into Mendix, similar to the way web services work.

Use of Solution

Over the last four and half years I've used versions 3.2.1, 4.8.10, 5.13, and 5.14.1.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We have had no stability issues.

With v3.2.1 we had some scalability issues which we resolved by upgrading to a later. This upgrade made our application a lot more scalable.

10/10

10/10

Other Advice

Expect to half your delivery time for new products/services to business. Mendix beats any other technology out there.

it_user427236
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The ease of use for complex development structures is good. T​he out of the box crud screens can be made more user friendly.

Valuable Features:

• Micro flows, because of the ease of use for complex development structures
  • Wide variety of in app store Widgets such as Deep Link, Active Directory integration, graphs (bar/spider charts), and geo location functionality
  • Ability to customize the style sheets
  • Mobile development framework
  • Java integration with Mendix
  • Remote debugging
  • The ease of use for complex development structures
  • SAP integration

Improvements to My Organization:

We developed a tool/product called Survey Quest. The tool enable the user to do perform surveys and  improveme them as well as its functionality.

Room for Improvement:

The out of the box crud screens can be made more user friendly, but then again it is a business application tool to quickly generate crud screens for enterprise application, not focused on public facing/entertainment values.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for two years.

Deployment Issues:

There were no deployment issues.

Stability Issues:

The system was performing not as quick/fast as it should have.

Scalability Issues:

There were memory leaks after a week of it being live. We need to clear the memory once a week.

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward.

Implementation Team:

We developed a solution in house.

ROI:

ROIs at this stage is not good because of the high license fees.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at Microsoft/Java options. We initially thought the license fees and speed of development was too slow.

Other Advice:

I was involved developing a solution.  We also did a site for skillsmap in mendix that was live for one and a half years.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We had a business relation ship (BCX with Mendix) . It came to an end because of license fees.
Managing Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
In the pension project we worked in sprints of two weeks in which we created functionality which was going to be tested by the business instantly.

Valuable Features:

Mendix is an excellent tool to put the business in charge again for realizing IT projects. In the pension project we worked in sprints of two weeks in which we created functionality which was going to be tested by the business instantly. In this way the business stayed connected with the IT solution and was in charge of the project. Mendix is an excellent tool to execute the scrum way of working in a successful way.

Improvements to My Organization:

Often the business comes to the conclusion that it is not working as they had thought it would after they have seen a first version. In Mendix it is really easy to show this first version and to change it according to the business needs.

Room for Improvement:

After two weeks the business will be able to  see what they had in mind and will be able to validate whether the IT people have understood what they meant but also whether the solution is going to work as they had in mind.

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an implementation partner for Mendix but we are also a customer as we have used the platform to build several solutions like a business rule engine, a support desk, etc.
it_user422997
Systems Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to easily use web services and export and import files of different kinds is good.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features of Mendix includes the most vital logic building component called the microflows which cuts down the need to write code and instead using logic blocks to interpret the way the function should work. As part of microflows, there are ways which gives the developer flexibility by writing code using Java actions. There also other vital features like the ability to easily use web services and export and import files of different kinds.

Improvements to My Organization

The main way in which this product has improved my organisations functions is the ability to promote agile methodology and rapid development. It also allows users see what has been developed quicker than writing physical code. This means it allows us to test out different scenarios with ease and also changing entities and attributes are easier than ever. Another way this system has helped is the ease of releasing the product we are developing on different platforms whether it be desktops, tablets or phones. Being built using bootstrap also helps with the responsiveness of the system.

Room for Improvement

The area of this product that needs improving is the templates in which the user uses to create documents. As it stands it is not very intuitive and not pleasing to the eye.

Use of Solution

I have been using Mendix as a system for almost nine months.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

There are a few bugs when new versions are released which sometimes affects the program when it is run.

I have had no issues scaling it for my needs.

7/10 - I haven't needed to ask them for much but the Mendix community which also includes some developers in Mendix help to solve issues in less than 24 hours which I was impressed with.

Other Advice

The Mendix developers and community continues to add useful features and add ons to the system which makes it better in every iteration.

it_user421557
Sr. Mendix developer / Lead Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is an immediate fit between delivered software and what the users really wants.

Valuable Features

Modeling application and generating code in stead of manual coding.

Improvements to My Organization

The software is mainly designed and built by business engineers instead of software engineers. This leads to an immediate fit between delivered software and what the users really wants.

Room for Improvement

User experience and performance with large datasets.

Use of Solution

We've used it for 10 years.

We've had no issues with the deployment.

When you restrict yourself to the native functionality the Mendix platform offers you great stability.

When using custom build widget, Javascript and Java Action, stability depends more on using the correct versions of SDK's, libraries etc.

5/10

5/10

It's straightforward. It depends on the choice of on-premise or cloud implementation as to how easy it is. For on-premise implementation you need some expertise, while the cloud implementation just needs you to follow the manuals or take a one day training course.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Mendix is not cheap. License fees go sky high when using it as a business to consumer platform. However, they change their pricing models frequently.

Other Solutions Considered

We also looked at OutSystems, Triggre, and Apex. We chose Mendix because of the learning curve.

Other Advice

Think about the type of product you want to develop. Mendix is great for internal software development or B2B SAAS solutions When working with large dataset or when userexperience is of great importance please rethink the use of this platform

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners
it_user421554
Associate at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
I was able to construct real doable software in a very short time and show working POCs to the client.

What is most valuable?

The single most beneficial feature is the rapid development and prototyping of the product. I was able to construct real demoable software in a very short time and show the client. The technology is a no-brainer and allows me to focus on the business of the client over mastering or wrestling with the software. Not only do I create workable software, but due to the high-level nature of how logic is written (using Microflows akin to Business Processing Models), a business person can clearly understand the code itself.

Their attention to detail and resistance to feature bloat to maintain the platform’s elegance and simplicity drives the platform’s success in integrating business an IT. They have implemented the right features, like easy integration mechanisms, robust configurable security, database and client device portability, a project and team work portal and much more to deliver valuable solutions, fast.

How has it helped my organization?

During an implementation of a Rules Engine for Credit Risk and Loan Eligibility which integrates various Credit Bureaux data systems for online loan applications, we experienced some performance issues. We then broke out into four teams to find optimizations of which three teams were technical and one was business analysis. The team who came up with the best solution, was the business analysis team. Since they could understand the flow of logic in the microflows, they could reorganize certain calls and optimize the process to gain the few milliseconds we needed to bring the application inside it's non-functional performance requirements.

This example shows that something that used to be confined to hidden alleys of the IT department was solved by business people with knowledge of the business process : Mendix enables a frictionless interaction between the business and IT domains to produce integrated solutions rather than point optimisations.

What needs improvement?

Reporting isn't Mendix' strong suite. The Business Modeler is amazing for rapid application development but the Reporting lags behind. Mendix relies on third party products who specialize in reporting to supplement their product. Other areas where they could improve are already on the roadmap, for instance clustering and NoSQL databases. Generally speaking the community and R&D are on the ball when it comes to features that their client base desire.

I've used this product since 2010, that is six years.

Deployment is straightforward and very solid.

Stability is not a problem, although you might have to tune your environment for its use cases since the out-of-the-box configuration, like any app, is for general use cases, but there is no real problem here.

Scalability requires a bit more expertise but is not insurmountable, at least not for any of the products we have developed, which includes Big Data climate sensor systems, GIS, Risk Decisioning, Lead/Queue Management, Loan Origination/Loan Applications both online- and agent-based channels like phone/email/web/mobile etc.

Generally support is friendly, helpful and professional. There are two channels of support, the Forum and the Support Portal.

The community is very active over the Forums and included the participation of the Core R&D team.

The support portal does have a few minor problems but when you make Mendix aware of this, they strive to accommodate the pain-points. In no way do these pain-points prevent Mendix from finding a temporary workable solution. For instance, if I am unable to log a bug for a client because of an account restriction, they would log bugs on my behalf. After that communication is followed up on properly and I'm pretty happy with the process, except that their support portal is in the Netherlands, so there is a slight time difference if you are working in the Americas.

Mendix is a first-rate business modeling solution. We have evaluated other solutions which focus more on the technology and gives developers too much flexibility with which they could hang themselves. This sounds counter-intuitive, but in real fact Mendix is a modeling solution that evolves upward in the software evolutionary chain, in that it is business-centric instead of being tech-centric; you model instead of code. We've been stuck in the code-mode for decades. Modeling isn't a new concept but it is hard to craft a first-rate modeling solution which Mendix has done a great job at.

Using the modeler frees you from technological burden and gives you more space to focus on mastering the business of the client.

Setup is an easy wizard installation process. It is straightforward and downloads and installs missing dependencies like the Java Runtime and SDK.

We have done both in the past, but mostly it is done in-house. As the product matured over the past few years, we became completely independent of vendors, since everything required is well documented and supported. In cases of emergencies, a quick forum post is enough to fill missing gaps.

Despite high licensing costs, the time and cost of development is dramatically reduced. On average our timelines are in the range of five to 10 times faster than choosing a more traditional software approach. Licensing costs are on negotiation basis, and this works for countries with weaker currencies and global economic disadvantages, like countries in Africa.

What other advice do I have?

Find people who are willing to try something different, people with a teachable attitude. Mendix is a paradigm-shift and might not appeal to ego-centric developers in their comfort zone who want under-the-hood control. Instead they should be business orientated, concerned with delivering working software fast and interacting with clients.

Delivery Module Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
​To market time has been reduced as development time has come down a lot.

What is most valuable?

Being a device agnostic solution and responsive design support are most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

To market time has been reduced as development time has come down a lot.

What needs improvement?

Seamless integration with legacy application is what I would like to see the most.

I started with v5.7 approximately two and a half years ago.

We've had no issues with the deployment.

We initially faced issues with complex web services, but now Mendix have evolved and fix most of the major issues with web services.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

Initially the support was very good and quick, but now it is taking more time and needs a few follow ups.

I have not used a different solution similar to Mendix. I started using Mendix since my organization wanted it.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward. Just an exe to run. Also they provide good 18 Hrs training for you to get started with the product.

We use the cloud option only for implementation, but In-house cloud deployment is also supported. You can chose your deployment option based on your need and type of application. They also provide third party cloud support like AWS, HP Helion etc.

As far as I know, the licence is costly.

What other advice do I have?

Mendix is a good option for people looking for fast deployment and Multiple device support with single code. But they need to check if the licence cost fits to their budget. Other than that no issues. I have seen large scale applications also running in Mendix.

it_user414093
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It massively speeds up IT projects in comparison to more traditional approaches.

What is most valuable?

1. The fact that my customer/client can actually understand my ‘code’ – it makes it very easy to discuss and improve newly built software
  2. The online collaboration environment included in the platform, which massively improves the client/software integrator partnership
  3. The speed it gives us when doing a project. It massively speeds up IT projects in comparison to more traditional approaches

How has it helped my organization?

It’s not so much my own organization, but the clients my organization works for. They see faster time to market for new software, improved maintainability, and higher user satisfaction as the main improvements.

What needs improvement?

UX/UI design is still the largest area that can be improved, or at least be made easier. Mendix have been making massive steps in this area since release 5.18 though, so that’s promising. Next to that the integration possibilities have been expanding but can always use more options.

I've been using it for over four years.

We had no issues deploying it.

We have had no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it for our customer.

Excellent. Mendix support is usually fast and very helpful. Next to that, also the user forum is very helpful.

I’ve used OutSystems in the past. We chose Mendix because the UI of the Modeling (Software Suite) environment is easier to use, and the online environment is much more advanced.

Very straightforward from first version of your web-app to deployment.

I work for a systems integrator that uses the vendors of the product to implement it for clients who don’t have an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

Do the math, and take into account not just the money but also your user’s happiness and the ability to quickly respond to changing circumstances by changing your software.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're an implementation partner
it_user413343
Associate(Java Developer) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We were able to completely refactor middleware from SAP BPM to Mendix.

What is most valuable?

It as an integrated server with one-click deployment. The deployment of Eclipse to analyse a code-based environment with XML to domain mapping by having just the XSD. Visual Programming is fairly intuitive and intricacies of code syntaxes are abstracted so we could focus solely on logic building.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to completely refactor middleware from SAP BPM to Mendix. This was done in a relatively short time and the product created a common language between developers and business analysts that facilitated the translation of business requirements, frequent validation, and/or modification to the technical solution. This actually reduced a few development cycles which gets crucial with short-term projects.

What needs improvement?

I think it has made some good/significant changes like Model API and a presence in AWS as well as integration with cloud foundry. Going forward some important improvements would be the inclusion of support for non-relational databases . Non-relational databases have had a fair presence in domains like Big Data and the ability to extract data out of them represented in Mendix and then go on for analysis could be an important feature .

We've used it for one and a half years/

We were not directly involved in deployments, but as far I can recollect we did not encounter many issues.

I cannot speak much about the stability of the cloud deployment which probably is more sought after. We haven't, however had any issues with the on-premises version.

We have had no issues scaling it to our needs.

8..5/10 - our modules were fairly complex with the most complex thing being our communication with SAP backend . We had a very good support from Mendix liaisons to counter challenges regarding the interfacing .

We had previously been working on 3GL solutions such as Java and C++. We also had some work done in AllFusion Gen 7.6 that led us to explore other model driven tools. We had a few choices but took up Mendix mostly because it had natural integration with customized Java/Scala code . Our vision was to further use the product to enhance/refactor our legacy solutions of other projects and incidentally high percentage of them were in Java .

Pretty straightforward . Mendix is a one-stop solution with most things integrated and it would require only a few changes such as custom configurations for various aspects like the database, to bootstrap a project and start building solutions.

We implemented the solution in an offshore/onshore model with technical expertise from a Mendix liaison. There are fairly complex modules (SAP Connector) which might need expert help if one is trying to use them in their solutions so it would be great to have an expert from their side .

Not sure about an exact metric count on this but as a subjective answer it did reduce development cycles. The official claim was somewhere between a five to sixfold increase but it was hard to corroborate that with actual metric.

The pricing is still a bit on the higher side and with other players in the MDD domain Mendix might need some price cuts to maintain/grow its popularity. It has already been placed once in the Visionary quadrant by Gartner and could really further build on that with competitive pricing to create farther appeal. Again, the issue with pricing is a completely personal opinion and I am pretty sure there are other factors to be considered before the final offering could be made by the Mendix.

What other advice do I have?

The product is easy to use and learn. The tough part is orienting your thinking to a model driven solution, or to better put, to an effective optimized solution. This would require some practice and some challenging use cases.

it_user413280
Mendix Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
​Its graphic interface, which allows you to develop rapidly and in a structured way is a valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

• Its graphic interface, which allows you to develop rapidly and in a structured way.
  • The fact that it is an all-in-one solution, producing a system that is ready to run immediately

How has it helped my organization?

This question is not entirely relevant for us, since our organization develops Mendix systems for clients.

What needs improvement?

I cannot think of any immediate issues. Mendix has an active community, providing requests, advice and add-ons. Each new Mendix version incorporates suggestions from this community. I believe this is why it meets the needs of most users very well.

We've been using it for two and a half years.

We had no issues wit the deployment.

When a mainframe system with a very large database and batch process was rebuilt in Mendix, we came across performance issues.

We had no issues scaling for the needs of our customers.

It's good.

It's good.

I haven't used any solution that's similar.

It's very straightforward. I used to be a mainframe tester and was able to start developing in Mendix in a short period of time.

The applications can run in the Mendix cloud, making implementation very easy: Mendix provides an easy to use interface.

They can also run on premise, implementation will then be dependent on the client's application environment.

As a developer I have very little knowledge of this.

What other advice do I have?

You should try it. You can set up a new project for free in a very short time.

it_user8394
Manager of Operations with 501-1,000 employees
Mendix Application Builder
Mendix is a product (and company) that caught my attention in the recent days. It boasts of a very easy drag-and-drop UI builder, a business process modeler , a built-in collaboration workspace and an agile model built-in to each project. I started this off by signing up for the product. It appears that a “free” email account does not work. It required me to enter a corporate email account. Once I did that, registration was done quickly and I was able to download the product quickly. One cool feature I liked was that it made it really simple to invite other interested parties (in the organization) to get started. I was able to download and install the business modeler. I am running win7 with 4GB memory and it was no big deal to install and get it up and running Once up, I noticed…

Once up, I noticed that there were a few sample projects. Unfortunately, none of them made sense with regard to what I had in mind. So , I got started with creating a brand new project. The business modeler is pretty intuitive and I was able to quickly develop a data model and scaffold a screen with CRUD operations. I had some problems with getting the form to work. But after seeing some youtube videos, I was on my way.
I also had an issue with the pop-up form options and could not figure out a way to get rid of it. But after some more youtube videos, I was well on my way.
A couple of more features that I really like are the built in workflow builder and the social media features. Mendix has made it really easy to define workflows, statuses and tie that to forms. Also, the social media features make it easy to collaborate with your social network.
All in all, this is a good product. Oh and by the way, the forms can be desktop based or mobile based.

Download our free Mendix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links