AK
Video conferencing Admin at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Cloud managed access and aggregation switches with a useful GUI, but the throughput path of the core switches could be better

• "The cloud part of Meraki Switches is very good. They also have a good GUI. It's a complete solution. I like the switching and the monitoring part."
  • "The throughputs, especially the throughput path, can be improved on the core switches. I think they should improve the throughput in the core switches to enable higher throughputs."

What is our primary use case?

I had to provide solutions for a pharmaceutical company, where data plays a very important role. This is where testing takes place and security is critical, and they have a lot of security on-site. If you want to have more VLANs and so on, you can do it through a core switch.

It all depends on the customer's requirements. For example, if the customer uses SAP HANA, they will go for a new direct server. On the new direct server, you have an output of 10 GBs, and based on the output and the number of users, I provide the solution to the customer.

It also depends on the application. For example, in SAP HANA, it'll depend on all the customer's modules, how many servers will make a Nutanix server, for example, 12 to 16 servers, and the number of users.

What is most valuable?

The cloud part of Meraki Switches is very good. They also have a good GUI. It's a complete solution. I like the switching and the monitoring part.

What needs improvement?

The throughputs, especially the throughput path, can be improved on the core switches. I think they should improve the throughput in the core switches to enable higher throughputs. A little bit of training for customers like online training would definitely help us.

I provided a couple of Cisco Meraki solutions to clients last year.

Meraki MS Switches are stable.

Meraki MS Switches are scalable.

Technical support is good. Our team is already certified in this area, and if anything critical happens, we try to log into their portal. If not, we'll have our own tech support handle it.

On the switching front, I have provided a lot of solutions on Juniper and also on HP Aruba.

The installation is not a problem at all. It takes about a day to configure all the systems.

We have about four or five people working with Meraki switches.

When you compare it to other switches like HP, Juniper, and Ruckus, Meraki MS Switches are cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Meraki MS Switches. I like Cisco Meraki Switches, and I have friends who've been using them. They're a couple of system integrators who only use Meraki.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Meraki MS Switches a seven.

Mike-Robinson
Owner at Mar Consulting Services
Reseller
Offers quality of service and provides good visibility, but the maintenance fees are too expensive

• "This product has QoS, decent visibility of what's going on, and it's a managed switch."
  • "Mandatory maintenance is an area that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use the MS series when I need to add power over ethernet (PoE).

What is most valuable?

This product has QoS, decent visibility of what's going on, and it's a managed switch.

What needs improvement?

Mandatory maintenance is an area that needs improvement.

I have been working with Meraki MS Switches for between five and ten years.

These switches are really stable.

I've used their lower-end products, and I haven't really looked at the larger units with additional ports. As such, I can't really say, although I think that there are some level 3s and even some level 4s.

At each location, there are between 15 and 20 users.

The technical support is very good. They are responsible and knowledgeable. On the Meraki side, you get through right away, whereas, on the Cisco side, you put in a call, and then it is difficult to predict when they will return it.

I work with a variety of Meraki Switches including the MS series, MR series, and MX series.

Prior to using Meraki, I was using a lower-end switch from Cisco. It didn't have any support requirements and my boss wanted me to get rid of anything that required maintenance. For this same reason, we will be getting away from using Meraki switches, as well.

The initial setup is easy.

As a one-person operation, I manage 15 or 16 locations.

The yearly maintenance fee is $100 and you can purchase used switches for about $200 each.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that this product may work well for a smaller shop, where they do not have many devices to pay maintenance fees for. I have 15 or 16 locations and combined, these have many switches and access points. For example, I have more than 45 devices in total, and paying $100 for each, annually, surpasses the amount of my initial investment. This is the reason that I am changing to another product.

In summary, this is a good switch but I just don't like the ongoing cost.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Meraki MS Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Matt Baldwin
President at Vertisys LLC
A mature product with a straightforward setup and good technical support

• "The technical support is quite good."
  • "The stability of the solution isn't ideal. We've had a lot of problems with the switches. They are unstable and unreliable. We need to reboot them often."

What is our primary use case?

The general use case is just as a unified platform for APs and switches. In our particular case, we brought on a client that had firewalls, access points, and had a need for switches to all run on one platform.

What is most valuable?

Where they are in the market and the market segment with their cloud management is an impressive aspect of the solution that originally lead ut to the solution. The maturity with their cloud management is really great.

The technical support is quite good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the switches, generally, we have some stability problems. There are general stability issues with them. It's been inconsistent for a couple of years. It's not really based on any firmware.

Switches that are in production and running will stop responding. And so we have to reboot the switches.

We've been using the solution for six years at this point.

I haven't seen any issues with scalability. Our environment is relatively small, about 20-25 offices, and therefore we haven't tried to expand the solution.

The support of the solution has always been very good. They're very knowledgable and responsive. We're satisfied with their level of attention.

The initial setup is not complex. It's straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Cisco partner. Our previous solutions were all Cisco-based, however, we were just using the traditional Cisco 2900 Series Switches. We still have a lot of those in production.

As far as switches go, it's a good product. As long as it makes a good fit for the customer, the only advice is to not let the maturity of the product dictate the need to implement.

There are a lot of solutions out there now that are a little bit cheaper, and that might meet a company's desired price point. Many other products also provide the same level of functionality. Don't just buy it because of the name.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

SM
Vice President of Information Technology at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, stable, and has all of the networking features we need

• "To me, this is a product that meets all of the needs that anyone could possibly have for a networking device."
  • "The licensing model needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

All of our endpoints are connected to our servers via the Meraki switches. Every user goes through them and it mirrors a cloud portal that allows you to administer it.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't really improved the way our organization functions. It's very similar to any other switch that I've used, although it is easier to manage than other switches.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model needs to be improved. The way they license their products, I'd rather just pay for a device by the device, and not have to pay annual subscription fees.

We have been using Meraki MS Switches for about two years.

This product is very stable.

This is a scalable solution and everybody in the organization uses these switches. This includes the president and CEO, the business development underwriters, and everybody else. In total, there are about 75 users.

I have not used their technical support.

Prior to Meraki, I used HP switches. I changed because they were too old and it was time to replace them. They were at the end of the normal lifecycle and Meraki had some great reviews, so I figured that I'd try them out.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to do your research to make sure that it's exactly what you need. These are powerful switches and they can do a lot. They probably do more than most people might need so just make sure that it's the right switch for you.

To me, this is a product that meets all of the needs that anyone could possibly have for a networking device. I mentioned the issue with the licensing, although all of the manufacturers are now going with that licensing model. I think that I have that problem with anybody, at this point.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

MB
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good dashboard, easy to configure and segment our network appropriately

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to segment my infrastructure between phones, security systems, and other tasks."
  • "Better alerting capabilities are needed because they do not provide enough notification or detail about events."

What is our primary use case?

The switches make up part of the network infrastructure in the company.

We primarily use VLANs and Wi-Fi.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Better alerting capabilities are needed because they do not provide enough notification or detail about events. For example, it doesn't tell me if I have lost an access point, or I'm getting packet drops, or somebody is using excessive bandwidth because of a download they are doing. It is very hard to drill down on these problems and sometimes, you might have to use a third-party solution to pull the reports out.

Technical support is in need of improvement.

I have been using Meraki MS Switches for about one year.

The stability is great.

Our company has not had to scale our network. However, some of our clients that use these same switches have scaled up, and it was an easy process for them. This is in part because it is easy to change configurations on the fly.

The technical support for this product is difficult to deal with. With multiple levels, it is very difficult to get through to the right person that can help with the problem. It is disappointing because when you pay a lot of money for the hardware, you expect to get the support that you need to get.

I handle the maintenance of these switches, including firmware updates.

We paid for our switches outright, at a cost of between $15,000 USD and $18,000 USD.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product except that the technical support and alerting need to be improved. As it is now with the alerting, I get messages from the firewall before I am alerted by the Meraki hardware. It makes it more difficult to troubleshoot.

Sambasiva Rao Venigalla
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Cloud-based, stable, automatic update notifications, easy to operate dashboard, and good support

• "You can connect from the dashboard itself. It is very easy to operate."
  • "There should be a focus on the emerging markets to offer better pricing. In India, they are offering it at better pricing for the emerging markets."

What is our primary use case?

We use these switches in our medium-sized branch offices.

We use these switches for cloud connections that can be managed from anywhere. It's being used as a remote office from the medium branch office to deploy these switches.

What is most valuable?

Without any malware intervention, it will automatically provide you with notifications for the hardware updates from the dashboard.

You can connect from the dashboard itself. It is very easy to operate.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be cheaper.

We have been using Meraki MS Switches for more than four years.

We have it on-premises but we don't have support because it's only offered on the cloud.

It's on-premises but it's controlled in the cloud only. It's a cloud-managed switch.

It's very stable and secure.

Technical support is good. We can get support in less than 15 minutes.

If anything has gone bad, depending on the context, they can ship the standard device or the advanced version.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's very easy to install.

It takes less than ten minutes to configure it and test the switch.

You need one or two engineers to deploy and monitor. As it is cloud-based, it does not need to be maintained.

Meraki is a little bit expensive, but when you compare the pricing with others, Meraki is a good option.

The price is based on the user, a dollar per seat. In India, it is that currency is always fluctuating. The need to go with the county version model.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product because everything is in the cloud.

I would rate Meraki MS Switch a nine out of ten.

Tony-Moore
President at Virtual Tech Computer Solutions
Integrated SD-WAN, stable, and offers good visibility using the dashboard

• "The most valuable feature is the granular visibility that they provide with a single pane of glass."
  • "The pain point for our customers is the pricing and it should be reduced to make it more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Meraki MS Switches are one of the products that we implement for our clients as part of their network infrastructure.

One of our typical use cases is connecting stores within a retail environment.

What is most valuable?

The SD-WAN capability is already integrated and it is excellent.

It can easily tie into the backend of Azure.

The most valuable feature is the granular visibility that they provide with a single pane of glass. It is a very useful dashboard.

What needs improvement?

We have been dealing with this product for a couple of years.

I haven't had any problem with Cisco at all. I would say that they are pretty solid in terms of stability.

Different switch models are chosen based on the size of the site. We use certain models at smaller sites, whereas we use different models for the larger sites. Overall, scalability is excellent.

Technical support is good and they are on top of everything.

I work with several similar products by different vendors and sometimes, people buy them instead because they are cheaper.

The initial setup is straightforward. The administration is usually handled by people like the VP of technology in the company.

The pricing is high and it is where we get the most pushback from customers.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this type of product is to do the research. From my experience, Meraki switches sell themselves and the only thing that people contest is the price.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly with a simple interface, and we can orchestrate our network from the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultancy and we work with a variety of networking products, including Meraki MS Switches. Our primary use case is cloud orchestration, where you can log in from anywhere and manage our devices remotely.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to orchestrate the network from the cloud. These switches are simple to use and the user interface is good.

What needs improvement?

Technical support can be faster to respond to non-telephone originated inquiries.

I have been using Meraki MS Switches for the past five months.

We are satisfied with the stability and plan to continue using this product.

What do I think

What is most valuable?

These switches are simple to use and the user interface is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Meraki MS Switches for the past five months.

We are satisfied with the stability and plan to continue using this product.

I would rate scalability at 60% because it doesn't have the core functionality required for aggregated interfaces. For example, you can not use a virtual device context, so you can't scale easily.

We have close to 300 users in the organization.

The technical support is awesome. However, when you leave a case, they will not immediately contact you unless you first call them and explain that it is of high priority. They will respond immediately but it is important that you contact them by phone, first.

I used to work primarily with Juniper switches but I also work with Cisco and Meraki products. I was not part of the decision to use Meraki.

The initial setup is very straightforward and they can be deployed within minutes.

We have the hardware on-premises but it is a cloud-based, SD-WAN solution.

I normally deploy these switches myself.

What other advice do I have?

For cloud usage, I recommend this product.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Meraki MS Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.