Meraki MX Overview

Meraki MX is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Meraki MX vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Meraki MX?
With the proliferation of modern applications and mixed-use networks, host and port based security is no longer sufficient. Cisco Meraki's layer 7 "next generation" firewall, included in MX security appliances and every wireless AP, gives administrators complete control over the users, content, and applications on their network.

Meraki MX is also known as MX64, MX64W, MX84, MX100, MX400, MX600.

Meraki MX Buyer's Guide

Download the Meraki MX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Meraki MX Customers
Hyatt, ONS
Meraki MX Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Meraki MX pricing:
  • "​Other content filtering solutions that I have used had more bells and whistles, but given the cost, complexity, and management overhead, I am very pleased with Meraki’s solution."
  • "The license cost depends on the box. We acquired a different product line. We are dealing with MX appliance now, that is, MX6, MX54, MX100, MX250, MX450. Every box has got an identity, and it has got its own specification. Every box has got a different license fee. We deployed Meraki MX in UAE when it was not a mature product. We took a risk, but we were successful. We saved a huge amount of money after implementing and removing all the MPLS and leased lines. We got a broadband connection because Meraki MX could work on a broadband connection. We have drastically saved a very good amount of money, which was one of the successful things apart from the successful solution."
  • "Pricing varies as per the type of license."

Meraki MX Reviews

Phillip Peerman
Supervisor of IT Infrastructure & Cybersecurity at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Oct 19, 2020
Great SD-WAN solution. Manage multiple Meraki devices (security, switches, APs, Cameras) with a single pane of glass.

What is our primary use case?

Security appliance/firewall and SD-WAN. With an advanced security license, the content filtering, IDS, and geographical blocking features are surprisingly good compared to using alternative solutions with no noticeable performance hit. The geographical blocking is a great security feature but you have to use with planning. I’ve managed to block a few vendors websites and mail servers without realizing what country those vendors were located in. When you’re not use to having geographical blocking the first time I had the problem it took a while to troubleshoot why the connectivity was missing… more »

• "Point-to-point VPNs can dynamically follow IP changes with no need for static IPs."
  • "Dual WAN connections are greatly simplified and point-to-point VPNs automatically connect regardless of what WAN connection is active."
  • "Meraki tech support staff have a lot more visibility into your network than you do, which is frustrating at times. I understand the approach is to keep the dashboard easier to understand. This will frustrate more advanced users at times.​"

What other advice do I have?

I was very worried when Cisco purchased Meraki, but surprisingly, they have not changed the organization or product lines for the worse.
reviewer1086276
Group Network Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 24, 2020
Cost-effective, simplified, easy to manage, and reliable with advanced security features and granular visibility

What is our primary use case?

We have migrated all wide area network (WAN) links from the conventional connection to the cloud-managed SD-WAN. We have all ranges. We are using the lowest model MX65 and the highest model MX450. We have deployed on-premises and on the cloud because the hardware requires an on-premises placement and then it works on the cloud. We have more than 1500 users. We have approximately 1500 employees, and we also have guests who are bringing their own devices. Some of the users have got multiple devices, so the number of users increases. When you look at the dashboard, you might find more than 3,000… more »

• "It has the most advanced security features, for example, layer 3 and layer 7 firewall capabilities and the end team and IPS protection. It also has IPS, and it has very good functioning of cloning services. You don't actually have to touch the device. If you have multiple companies in different countries, you don't really require this device to be touched. You can get it delivered directly to any office of a country, and then you can simply put your configuration over the cloud. It's very simplified and easy to manage. It gives a very good granular visibility about your network. Earlier, a lot of things were lacking in the network. We were unable to identify where the problem was, but after implementing Meraki MX, we are able to dig down and identify where is the problem. We can easily and quickly identify the sources and the root causes of the issues."
  • "From the improvement perspective, we need more monitoring capabilities. We want to have full-based access visibility, such as, what is happening when something is trying to reach and it is denying. We cannot see some parts of it. The integration of active directory with this product is not very fruitful. It has some bugs or lacks in the functionality of active directory integration. We are unable to identify where exactly and whether it has really applied our policy."

What other advice do I have?

From the IT perspective, people are more relying on the cloud for cloud hosting. Instead of having the data center on-premises or hybrid, people are moving towards cloud hosting. The integration with cloud managed services is there. We have some services hosted on Azure. We also have some services hosted on Amazon. We have a plugin with the cloud manager, Meraki MX. It has VMS features available so that we can have the security and our own private cloud connected to Amazon, Azure, or any cloud services, which is a future proof solution. I would, of course, recommend Meraki MX. Everyone should…
Learn what your peers think about Meraki MX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,836 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Luis Mendes
Network Security Engineer at Techbase
Jul 1, 2019
A good firewall solution for small companies with a small IT department or no IT staff at all

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is perhaps a little unusual. Many of our clients like the product, or want to consider the product, and we own it so that we can do valid product comparison and testing.

• "A strong, reliable solution for small companies with little or no dedicated IT department."
  • "The client-side VPN is weak. The product could be improved with deployment templates."

What other advice do I have?

I would give this solution about an eight out of ten. They can buy the brand directly or from a partner. They need to consider performance. I have to be totally honest about Meraki. Because of the client VPN, the lack of an easy way to implement templates with Meraki, that's really only enough for an eight.
MXfirew677
CEO at ITSG SA
Jul 1, 2019
Good scalability options but it's not easy to manage a product remotely across the world

What is our primary use case?

Meraki MX Firewalls solutions are very customized for our groups. We are a worldwide group. We are currently implementing an IT solution worldwide. We have to replace old firewalls in the next couple of years in many countries. We are working on this project. We used Meraki MX 55005 firewalls previously. In between, we used many different firewalls from other companies. We won't be doing the acquisition of many new parts by these companies now. We have tested different brands of firewalls. We have to consolidate to handle a better solution. We chose Meraki because we are already familiar with… more »

• "We work also with domain control (DC) from Microsoft or Amazon. We use a whole virtual appliance with Meraki."
  • "The problem is that the two licenses do not currently integrate. We have to create separate companies and do an interconnection."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this product a 7. For us, the license is a big issue and we need to get better facilities, i.e. the original problem. From any country, it's not easy to manage a product remotely across the world. We are supporting little companies and compatibilities for three countries with different languages. It's not easy to deal with because the provider we use doesn't deliver to our country, even Israel. It's a problem we encounter more than the physical system. It's complicated. The one question we get about the system in Switzerland is that when we send it to the…
Frank Theilen
IT Adviser/Manager with 51-200 employees
Jun 12, 2020
Be prepared for a new way of managing networks.​

What is our primary use case?

I used the MX80 as primary FW in a small Office with 50 users. The options provide even non-FW-specialist a way to manage and block certain aspects of internet usage. The main purpose of the Meraki is to use Internet for Users. Not filter traffic for Servers. Together with other network gear you get an overall visibility into each client on the network. Thats is fantastic. Meraki offers free trails and you can get the entry level gear very cheap. The support model allows usage of the cloud management only if you have support. But then you get all features and updates. We now use the small MX… more »

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared for a new way of managing networks. Test it. See the webcast. The zero deployment is a killer feature. Network Products like switches and Wifi do the rest.
Marek Modlinski Modlinski
Senior Network Engineer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Feb 10, 2021
Good support, easy to set up, with web-based centralized management

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Meraki is one of the firewall products that we implement for our customers.

• "The technical support people from Meraki are brilliant."
  • "They need to improve the link between Meraki and Active Directory."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on the customer's needs. If they don't need really complicated firewall rules, yet want to protect the network and want really good web filtering, then I recommend using Meraki. If on the other hand, they have a really complicated setup and want better filtering, then Sophos is the better option. Also, if you have your own web server or mail server on-site, then I recommend Sophos. If instead, you have a normal office network with mail stored in the cloud, then I recommend Meraki. Overall, this is a good product but it does have some limitations. Sophos…
Amr Khalil
LTE RF Optimization Sr. Engineer at Spectrum
Jun 30, 2019
Valuable monitoring and firewall features but needs to also include virtual domain features

What is our primary use case?

We use Meraki MX firewalls with Cisco. Some features must go through Cisco to implement. What the application needs is not included in Meraki. I use Cisco to access a portal and they provide the features. Then we implement it in Meraki.

• "The features we have found most valuable are the firewall and the monitoring tools."
  • "FortiGate is cheaper than Meraki. Even the license renewal is less than Meraki."

What other advice do I have?

For this solution, Meraki is still more expensive than FortiGate. The FortiGate license is still less than the Meraki license. On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate Meraki MX firewalls a 7. If they were to add the configuration tools, then it would be much higher.
Jim Arvas
IT Support Admin at KuehneAndNadel
Jun 29, 2019
Improves security in our network so we don't have any problems with receiving intrusion alerts

What is our primary use case?

We made a big change recently in the company. The company didn't have a firewall. We suggested putting Meraki products in the company.

• "When you try to create an IP or when you have an alert about when a website is banned, these features are helpful."
  • "What I would like to see in the next version is to have more interfaces for WAN links."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend anyone look towards the possibilities of firewalls of this caliber with Meraki. Research the top firewalls to compare, depending on how many users and the purpose of the need. It is great to have a firewall like Meraki or FortiGate. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Meraki an eight or nine.
See 16 more Meraki MX Reviews