StephaneFaure
Engineering Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Addresses multiple use cases from an all-in-one device

• "I love the simplicity of Meraki MX — specifically, the simplicity of the dashboard."
  • "You cannot use switching behaviors as you see on the Meraki switch."

What is our primary use case?

Our company and clients use this solution. Our clients range in size from small, medium, and large organizations. Within our company, there are roughly 50 people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

I love the simplicity of Meraki MX — specifically, the simplicity of the dashboard.

What needs improvement?

Currently, I don't see any big areas for improvement; although, It lacks some switching features. For instance, when you use MX to link the firewall to a stack, you cannot use LACP.  You cannot use switching behaviors as you see on the Meraki switch. This would be a really cool feature to have — real switching features on Meraki MX.

I have been using Meraki MX for five years.

Meraki MX is very stable. We haven't experienced any issues relating to stability. It's also very scalable, too.

We are in the first line of support, so we use the support differently than traditional customers — they are good.

Yes. We used Cisco, Palo Alto, a bit of Fortinet, and others. Currently, we only provide Meraki and Meraki-related devices.

The price could be lower, but compared to the TCO of other products, it's not really that expensive. When we sell it to customers, the first fee of the quote is often a bit odd; however, consider the small number of resources needed to manage it, there is an advantage to using Meraki MX.

What other advice do I have?

You need to be ready to change your mindset of classical firewalls. Meraki is really more powerful with the full stack, which is the real purpose of this solution.

The real advantage with Meraki is the interaction between different prototypes, like Xpoint which is Amex — this is a game-changer. It's great when you have the full stack and you can play with the different settings and interact between Meraki devices.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Meraki MX a rating of eight.

MV
Managing Director at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Reliable, zero-touch deployment that is easy to use, quick to install, and has good responsive support

• "It has very good features; it's easy to use, configure, set up, and deploy."
  • "In the next release, because the security is pretty basic, I think they could include additional security features."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is a zero-touch deployment.

What is most valuable?

It has very good features; it's easy to use, configure, set up, and deploy.

Also, the support is very good.

What needs improvement?

While it's reasonably priced, it could always be lowered to compete with others.

We used this solution for a very small project.

Meraki MX is quite stable. We have not had any issues.

It's a scalable solution.

Cisco's technical support is good, they are very responsive.

It's easy to set up and configure.

It was a very small project and it only took four or five minutes to install.

Four or five switches can be deployed in a day.

We have a team of several engineers to deploy and maintain this solution.

The price is slightly increased, but reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. If they're looking for something that is easy to use, easy to deploy, and easy to support, maybe they should consider Meraki, given the product is very stable.

The features are good.

The price point is one thing that we need to consider, but it's expected because good products come with slightly increased pricing.

Learn what your peers think about Meraki MX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GB
Commercial Product Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Easy to manage, easy to set up, flexible, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for retail and on building sites in combination with the 4G system. We are using the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to manage, which is one of the most important things for us. It is also flexible, stable, and scalable.

What needs improvement?

The whole Cisco Meraki range requires easier access for cameras. For a security center, it would be helpful to have easier access to cameras through the portal. Its licensing cost could also be better.

I have been selling this solution for five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have a lot of…

What needs improvement?

I have been selling this solution for five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have a lot of customers for this solution. In terms of the number of users, there are about 200,000 users.

Their technical support is very good.

It is easy to install. It took us one hour to deploy it.

You need a consultant or integrator only when you have a complex installation. We are an integrator and one of the larger resellers of Meraki. We have about 50 people, and we also have a 24/7 service desk.

Its licensing cost could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. We will keep on selling this solution.

I would rate Meraki MX a nine out of ten.

MG
Solutions Specialist - Networking at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Incredible support, easy to scale, and easy to use

• "It is very easy to use and manage. It is also very easy to scale."
  • "In general, the SD-WAN feature needs to be improved. The load sharing and load balancing of the traffic should be improved. I have had some problems with these features in the past."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy this solution for our customers. We do the cloud and on-premises deployments, and we have all the versions.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use and manage. It is also very easy to scale.

What needs improvement?

In general, the SD-WAN feature needs to be improved. The load sharing and load balancing of the traffic should be improved. I have had some problems with these features in the past.

I have been using Meraki MX since 2016.

It has very good stability.

It is very scalable. We have all kinds of customers.

They have very good technical support. Cisco Meraki's support is incredible.

The initial setup can be complex. It usually depends on the scenario. The deployment usually takes half a day, but it again depends on the scenario.

It is a good global solution in terms of the price and features, but because we sell this solution in dollars, sometimes we don't get to sell this solution in Brazil because the dollar is very expensive.

The price of every project is different. It varies depending upon the project, scenario, and client.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution based on the use case. I would rate Meraki MX an eight out of ten.

SS
Director, Enterprise Products at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Superb performance capabilities but security is not as strong as it could be

• "We've had no issues with the scalability or the stability of this solution"
  • "The security is not as strong as it could be"

What is most valuable?

The application visibility, performance visibility, and the failover capability for VPN are excellent.

What needs improvement?

The security is not as strong as it could be. The lack of HTTPS encryption is a big challenge that I have with Meraki. Essentially, the Meraki device is blind to any threats that are encrypted, and currently, somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/4 to 80% of all internet traffic is encrypted. In other words, you basically have a blind security guard watching the network.

I have been using Meraki MX for over five years.

We've had no issues with the scalability or the stability of this solution.

The price varies depending on the hardware platform as well as the type of license and whether you're adding security or not.

If you're going to go with Meraki as your primary gateway, I'd recommend having a secondary security solution in your back pocket.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

Adnan Bastawala
System and Network Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
A great multifunctional security & SD-WAN appliance for a small company

• "Meraki MX offers advanced filtration options, plus it behaves like a router and a firewall at the same time."
  • "You can only have one tunnel in the whole infrastructure — one tunnel with one device."

What is most valuable?

Meraki MX offers advanced filtration options, plus it behaves like a router and a firewall at the same time.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement relating to third-party VPNs.

You can only have one tunnel in the whole infrastructure — one tunnel with one device. I cannot have multiple terminals running from each of the devices to the same third-party.

I have been dealing with Meraki MX for nearly five years.

Meraki MX is both scalable and stable.

The technical support is quite good — very fast.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Deployment took roughly two hours, max.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a small scale company looking for an SD-Wan solution, plus UTM box-type combination, then Meraki is the best option — based on the price and the features available.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Meraki MX a rating of nine.

Howard Bishop
President at Computer Technology Services
Features a wide range of capabilities in an all-in-one device

What is our primary use case?

Within our company, there are a lot of remote access users. We also have a couple of offices and some international users as well.

What is most valuable?

In general, Meraki MX is easy to work with.

I have been using Meraki MX for two years.

Meraki MX is both scalable and stable.

I really didn't experience any areas of complexity. The most complex part of the initial setup was setting up a conference camera. We host a lot of international board meetings that require video calling.

The pricing could always be improved — especially with the shape the economy…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

In general, Meraki MX is easy to work with.

I have been using Meraki MX for two years.

Meraki MX is both scalable and stable.

The pricing could always be improved — especially with the shape the economy is in at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have much advice to offer — everybody has to do their due diligence.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Meraki MX a rating of eight.

CH
Chief Technical Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Multi-functional security in an all-in-one device

What is our primary use case?

We use it for UTM devices. We have roughly 200 users, using this solution.

What needs improvement?

We prefer UTM solutions. As far as what needs to be improved — nothing really comes to mind. It does what we need it to do.

I have been using Meraki MX for more than five years.

Both the scalability and the scalability are great with Meraki MX.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Deployment takes less than one day.

What other advice do I have?

What is our primary use case?

We use it for UTM devices.

We have roughly 200 users, using this solution.

What needs improvement?

We prefer UTM solutions.

I have been using Meraki MX for more than five years.

Both the scalability and the scalability are great with Meraki MX.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Deployment takes less than one day.

What other advice do I have?

If you're thinking about implementing Meraki MX, make sure to plan it properly. Planning takes time which gives you the ability to make sure it's scaled properly, without too much complexity.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine — nothing is perfect.