Meraki SD-WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Meraki SD-WAN is #1 ranked solution in top Software Defined Networking. IT Central Station users give Meraki SD-WAN an average rating of 8 out of 10. Meraki SD-WAN is most commonly compared to VMware SD-WAN:Meraki SD-WAN vs VMware SD-WAN. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 38% of all views.
What is Meraki SD-WAN?

Software-defined WAN is a new approach to network connectivity that lowers operational costs and improves resource usage for multi-site deployments, allowing network administrators to use bandwidth more efficiently and ensure the highest possible level of performance for critical applications without sacrificing security or data privacy. For more information on deploying and configuring SD-WAN on the Meraki MX Security Appliance, see the Meraki SD-WAN Deployment Guide.

Meraki SD-WAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Meraki SD-WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Meraki SD-WAN Customers

École Jeannine Manuel

Meraki SD-WAN Video

Archived Meraki SD-WAN Reviews (more than two years old)

ThomasChristen
Consultant at Bechtle Steffen Schweiz Ag
Easy to use, a straightforward setup, and prioritizes traffic well

• "The solution's ability to prioritize traffic is its most valuable feature."
  • "The solution needs a multi-use provider portal."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our branch offices.

What is most valuable?

The solution's ability to prioritize traffic is its most valuable feature.

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a multi-use provider portal.

I'm not on the technical side, so I don't know if there is an area of the solution that needs improvement. There is a wish button in the product, and we're fine with that.

The pricing could be a bit lower.

I've been using the solution for two years now.

The solution is stable.

We've never had an issue with scalability. We have about 200 users on the solution.

We've only ever used the solution's technical support once and it was fine.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We use the public cloud deployment model. We're a Cisco partner.

Due to its overall ease of use, I'd recommend the solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

StephaneFaure
Engineering Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Stable and scalable with a very good dashboard

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a certain amount of functionality and features. The VRRP design needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support is really good.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a certain amount of functionality and features.

The VRRP design needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support is really good.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment times depend on the customer and the environment. If could be anywhere from two days to six months.

We looked into Azure, but Azure didn't make AZ1s.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. Meraki is a cloud solution.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Meraki SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VR
Network and Cyber Security Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers good optimization, load balancing, and auto VPN features

• "The Meraki SD-WAN solution is simple to deploy."
  • "They stopped doing WAN optimization as a feature set, which is lacking. They need to relook at that and consider WAN optimization as an option."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for optimization, load balancing, and the different end links. We have a variety of customer enterprises that consist of small, medium, and large-size enterprise customers. More of our clients are moving to direct internet access, so we are getting rid of the current MPLS solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the traffic shaping, the security that is built into the routers on MX, they have a lot of customer performance classes, the visibility, and the auto VPN features.

What needs improvement?

They stopped doing WAN optimization as a feature set, which is now lacking. They need to relook at that and consider WAN optimization as an option.

I know that they have improved the security and have taken that off and that to me is critical on the MX. That's where they lack.

The reporting needs to be looked at. It needs to be more granular. The reporting on the actual solution isn't what the customers are wanting to get.

Scalability could improve to accommodate a larger enterprise.

In the next release, I would like to see the WAN optimization.

I have been using this solution for twelve years.

This solution is stable and I have not found any issues in particular.

This solution is scalable. It is not complex. On the Mx side, it could be a room for a high-end device and the highest you get is MX 450. It is scalable but it could improve for a larger enterprise.

The initial setup of this solution is easy. It is very intuitive when it comes to setups.

The deployment is very quick. We managed to roll out one hundred and sixty branches in a matter of a couple of months.

I don't deal with technical support directly, as I am on the design and retail side of things. As far as I understand, the technical support has been fairly competent. There haven't been any issues.

What other advice do I have?

The Meraki SD-WAN solution is simple to deploy.

You have to plan well and look at creating policies and create your templates prior to the installation.

What we found, was that while we were doing the implementation we were doing a lot of work. If we had planned before the actual implementation, then the entire rollout would have been much simpler.

The setup is simple but it terms of deployment, it is better to create your policies and the planning needs to be done prior to the actual deployment.

AndreasRuemmeli
Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Simple to use, has a good outer VPN, and the dashboards are user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for two purposes. One is to connect the different locations, and the other is for security.

What is most valuable?

The outer VPN is the solution's most valuable feature. The dashboard is user-friendly. It's very simple to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if it added more features, especially monitoring and reporting features.

I've been using the solution for two to three years.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The outer VPN is the solution's most valuable feature.

The dashboard is user-friendly. It's very simple to use.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two to three years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is okay, but the solution is much more suited to small and medium-sized companies and isn't really suited for large ones. If you have 500 to 1000 or 2000 people it's okay. For a large international company, it's not the right product. At the moment, we have about 2-3,000 users on the solution.

The technical support has been very good. We're satisfied with the level of service they offer.

The solution is straightforward. As long as you can get all of the required information from the client, it's very easy.

How long it takes to deploy depends on the requirements. It can vary. To configure it is easy, but in most cases, we don't get all the information from the customer which can hold things up a bit.

We have about 20 people for deployment and maintenance.

We handle the deployment ourselves.

Licensing is on a monthly basis. There are also fees for technical support.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Cisco partner.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

AS
Director IT/TI for Cloud SME at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good stability, with a straightforward setup, but endpoint security needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it to provide SD-WAN solutions for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a whole vertical solution, so it doesn't need any other components in order to provide basic features.

What needs improvement?

The security of the solution needs to be improved. The adoption of endpoint services or endpoint security should be developed in future releases.

I've been using the solution for five to ten years.

The solution is relatively stable.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it to provide SD-WAN solutions for our customers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The security of the solution needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for five to ten years.

The solution is relatively stable.

The solution is not scalable for high-end customers. Meraki is really flexible and can start from really small sites, so it's better suited to the SME market. When you reach a situation where you have a high number of sites with a high level of complexity, then Cisco Meraki probably lacks a bit of flexibility.

I've never had to reach out to technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward; it's not that complex. How long it takes to deploy depends on the customer's requirements and how complex their infrastructure is.

We're a distributor. We deploy the solution on-premises for our clients.

We did evaluate other options, but we're very happy with Cisco Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others considering implementing the solution would be to start small and be patient.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

it_user869685
Partner and Chairman at Engitel
User
Provides zero touch configuration onsite based on the manager system's pre-configuration

What is our primary use case?

We did only a short evaluation focused in training to show the main functions of the dashboard and VPN implementation.

How has it helped my organization?

Not for now, we are still in the test stage and implementing a laboratory with a basic topology: firewall, switch, and AP.

What is most valuable?

Zero touch configuration onsite based on the manager system's pre-configuration and the VPN automation set.

What needs improvement?

Perimetral security for new requirements on financial networks and DRP systems, like SAP.  It should send email alerts.

Trial/evaluations only.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

It should send email alerts.

Trial/evaluations only.