Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Overview

Micro Focus ALM Quality Center is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Quality Management Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus ALM Octane: Micro Focus ALM Quality Center vs Micro Focus ALM Octane

What is Micro Focus ALM Quality Center?

Micro Focus Application Lifecycle Management software (ALM), is a unified platform that helps teams prioritize, align and focus their project activities, provides actionable insight, and fosters the re-use of assets from requirements through development, testing, and readiness for delivery.

Built on best practices, an extensible architecture and centralized repository, Micro Focus ALM is one of the first unified, technology-agnostic application management systems available now; integrating out-of-the-box with over 30 open source and competitive industry products.

Micro Focus’s ALM suite provides flexible solutions and deployment options to meet your needs and scale with you as you grow.

Micro Focus ALM Quality Center is also known as HPE ALM, Quality Center, Quality Center, Micro Focus ALM.

Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Customers

Specsavers, Cardinal Health, KMD, Turkcell

Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AG
Senior Vice President at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Defect tracking is useful, but the licensing model is awful

What is our primary use case?

Test management Defect management, and  Test case storage.

How has it helped my organization?

Good test management tool.

What is most valuable?

Defect tracking.

What needs improvement?

Licensing model is awful.

RA
Software Quality Assurance Manager at Westar Energy, Inc.
Helps focus on requirements, testing, and execution.

What is our primary use case?

Quality assurance, requirement, and testing.

How has it helped my organization?

ALM helps focus on requirements, test, and the execution, track your defects, etc.

What is most valuable?

Requirements Test Release process Defect tracking.

What needs improvement?

Release management and integration with other tools.

More than five years.
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus ALM Quality Center. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VR
Quality Assurance Director at Charter Communications, Inc.
User
Has test management for multiple products but could use a bridge to JIRA and Tableau

What is our primary use case?

Test management for multiple products Risk-based testing Requirements mapping Reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

Reusable test cases Requirement traceability Reporting.

What is most valuable?

Test cycles.

What needs improvement?

Bridge to JIRA and Tableau.
Product Development Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use it for manual and automatic testing along with defect and requirements management. We can check everything, know who is the sponsor for it, and make a test plan. Everything is very visible.

What needs improvement?

ALM uses a waterfall approach. We have some hybrid approaches in the company and need a more agile approach. We have also installed ALM Octane and are trying to see if it fills the approach that we are looking for our company.

It is very stable. We have not had any problems.

I have a good impression of the scalability. I have been very satisfied.

How are

Vice President - Test Management Lead at DBS Bank
The task management reporting has a lot of out-of-the box uses

What is our primary use case?

I use 80 to 90 percent of the product's features.

What is most valuable?

It has a good response time. The AI and functionality interface are useful.  The task management reporting has a lot of out-of-the box uses.

What needs improvement?

Certain features are lousy. Those features can drag the whole server down. There are times that the complex SQL queries are not easy to do within this solution.  Micro Focus ALM needs to bring the features of this ALM into the newer version of Octane.

More than five years.

ALM can scale and is very impressive. It can support thousands of users with a very low amount of resources. It can easily manage very big…
JD
Quality Assurance Manager at Reliance Standard Life Insurance
User
I like the customizable report functionality

What is our primary use case?

My prior organization used the test execution and defect modules for QC. As a manager, I was able to set up reports that allowed me to finds areas of improvement for my team. We used the import functionality to import test cases for reusability and execution.
IT Business Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
This solution is open and very easy to integrate. The interface is good too.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for model testing and as a central location for the test case responses and some test automation.

• "The ability to integrate this solution with other applications is helpful. If there is automation, it comes with improved quality and speed."
  • "This solution is open and very easy to integrate. The interface is good too."
  • "There needs to be improvement in the requirement samples. At the moment, they are very basic."

What other advice do I have?

If someone is researching solutions, they should know that this solution is stable, centralized, and scalable. If they need integration, then this is the tool to use. When selecting a vendor, some important criteria are availability, knowledge, price, and the site where they are getting the product. For example, if we have people doing a project as a team, then it is best if the solution can work in different languages, like German and English.
Founder & Software Solutions Manager at infomera
User
Provides visibility on release status and readiness

What is our primary use case?

It is a complete AQM suite: single repository for tests, requirements, defects, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides visibility on release status and readiness.  It allows us to easily make linkage and dependencies, with plenty of integrations.

What is most valuable?

Test management Requirements management Defects

What needs improvement?

Pure-FTPd WebUI Single sign-on
DS
QA Analyst at Tsoft
Lab Management provides a 360 view

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for regression testing.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Micro Focus products together to improve organizational SLAs.

What is most valuable?

Lab Management is a valuable feature, because you have a 360 view.

What needs improvement?

The QA needs improvement.

Three to five years.
Project Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
By standardizing our template, we publish reports at the business unit level

What is our primary use case?

Our current environment is ALM QC 12.53 and for performance testing ALM PC 12.53, Vugen 12.53, and UFT 14.

• "The enhanced dashboards capabilities are useful for senior management to view the progress of releases under the portfolio in one go and also drill down to the graphs."
  • "By standardizing our template, we publish reports at the business unit level."
    QA at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    ​Allows us to have a single source of truth for our test efforts

What other advice do I have?

If you go the on-premise route, make sure your system architects and DBAs thoroughly review the installation/upgrade guide. I would also advise establishing a "center of excellence" department which can help build template projects and enforce standards so the users are all using similarly configured projects.
    IT Quality Assurance Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Furnishes metrics that provide insights into the management and delivery of projects

• "As a system administrator, HPE ALM can be flexibly configured so that it can accommodate a variety of defined project lifecycles and test methodologies."
    • "HPE ALM’s out-of-the-box reporting can be perceived as rigid and limited, to an extent."

What other advice do I have?

HPE ALM is a relevant product that assists with test delivery, execution, and management within a project-driven environment. I would recommend others to check out the HPE ALM Help Center and product pages for additional information before making a decision.
    IT Specialist with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Allows us to customize any action, window, or workflow meeting all our testing needs

What other advice do I have?

Do the simple implementation, do not customize it because you will have more problems.
    Staff QA Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We​ have multiple teams across the globe where we have multiple projects set up in it. We have had some issues where the operation is not able to run tests.
    QA Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Produces a number of reports and graphs which help when working with our clients

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good tool. We use it throughout the company. There are just some integration points which could be a little better. But if they're out there, I don't know about them. Maybe having the knowledge and knowing about them would help as well.
    TM
    IT Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Upgrading is too complex and costly. Provides app test case organization with a way to be able to organize it.
    QA Manager at a individual & family service
    We can customize based on the project and on how we want to control the testing

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support and stability of the product. These are the two most important things to us. We want to have continuous improvement, because there are places to improve; we also don't want rapid changes, because they do affect the user, so that balance is important.
    MC
    Test Management Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables management of all the important assets and metrics

What other advice do I have?

Testing is going to be testing. And the same challenges that you have in any of the different industries are going to be the challenges that you have in the ours, the insurance and financial industry, as well. You know from DevOps to Agile, to Shift Left to Cloud, to managing your test assets efficiently and effectively, industry is really not going to make a difference. I've been in a number of different sectors over the years. I've been in QA about 25 years, and having been in the natural gas industry, financials, insurance, HR systems. They are all pretty much the same challenges around…
    JG
    Principal consultant qa architect at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
    Provides QA management and project management - testing, defect management, and reporting

• "Quality management, project management from a QA perspective - testing, defect management, how testing relates back to requirements."
    • "I'd like to see the concept of teams put into it."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor to work with, I want to see that the technical people are really knowledgeable of what they're talking about. I want to know that the tool can give me what I need, not just, this is a standard proof of concept. I want to see what I need to see, and I want to know that, down the road, I'll be able to either get out of it what I need or be able to learn or have somebody come in to help me get out of it what I need. Because if I'm not getting out of it what I need, then I've wasted my money. I give it a nine because nothing is perfect, there's always room for improvement…
    Pp at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides all you need for managing test cases and test execution, but must install it on your desktop

What other advice do I have?

When looking at a company to work with, it's as simple as knowing that the products are mature. We know that if there are going to be issues, we're going to be able to find solutions or some work around for them. It's as simple as that. There's a lot of competition out there. Especially in the open source space, but for you to get support on open source, that's probably a whole different ball game.
    Business Systems Consultant at Wells Fargo
    It enables our testers to work in a single application and provides traceability among testing and defects

• "I like the traceability, especially between requirements, testing, and defects."
    • "I would rate it a 10 if it had the template functionality on the web side, had better interfaces between other applications, so that we didn't have dual data entry or have to set up our own migrations."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor to work with are: * They need to be stable. * They need to be financially sound. * They need to have a good technology and support base. * They also need to be responsive to the company, because it's a big company, so we expect people to respond. I would advise a colleague considering this solution to start with a plan. Make sure you know what it is that you want to accomplish with Quality Center, and only add fields that will meet that. Use your current documentation, your current processes, to help design the fields and the projects for it…
    Sr. Performance Engineer, ITQCoE at JetBlue Airways Corporation
    ALM gives us a solution where we can keep all of our test artifacts (such as scripts, scenarios, test data, etc.) centralized.
    Principal engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
    We use this tool extensively for Quality Assurance, however it needs to be adapted for Mac usage, not just Windows

• "You can do your development from start to finish: starting with the requirements, ending with defects, and testing in-between."
    • "The downside is that the Quality Center's only been available on Windows for years, but not on Mac."

What other advice do I have?

People don't take advantage of a lot of the functionality that the tool has. I think overall it's a very good tool for what it does. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: They know me, and I know them, so having a very good relationship and a very good rapport is very important. If I need help, I can go to certain people, and I can get help.
    VP lead software engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We use the quality engineering testing tool plus the defect tracking to make our reports, projects, and quality better

• "You can plan ahead with all the requirements and the test lab set it up as a library, then go do multiple testing times, recording the default that's in the system."
    • "It is nice, but it does have some weaknesses. It's a bit hard to go back and change the requirement tool after setup."

What other advice do I have?

To someone looking at Quality Center, I would tell them: It's a good tool to use and the support is good. However, if you want a fancy and modernized tool with a fancy outlook, then Quality Center is not a good tool for you. Most important criteria when choosing a vendor: personal style. I want to know who will be continually knowledgeable. * They know what they are selling. * They respond back quickly with accurate information. If someone talks to me, and I try a few times, but I cannot get clear information from them, I may disqualify this vendor completely.
    Quality Assurance Software Management at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Allows us to more accurately document our actual versus expected test results

• "It's basically the way to show the work that we do as QA testers, and to have a historical view of those executions."
    • "I'd like to be able to improve how our QA department uses the tool, by getting better educational resources, documentation to help with competencies for my testers."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor to work with, the most important criteria are flexibility, availability, and scalability. I would say it's a good tool. You have to invest the time into learning the different ins and outs of the tool, and become educated on it. I think it can scale as much as you allow it to, but you have to put the time into learning what it has to offer.
    Senior manager IT at a transportation company
    Enables us to tie together our requirements and testing and access years of back data

What other advice do I have?

If you are using ALM, you had best educate your users to use the entire solution, not only the testing module or not only requirements module, because you will have way more benefit using the entire tool. It is designed to supplement the entire lifecycle and will definitely improve your productivity and traceability. If you use bits and pieces of the tool then the whole intention of developing the tool is not fully utilized. So use entire module, all the modules in ALM.
    AVP Quality Assurance at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    The camera makes it easier to capture evidence as a user tests. It's not intuitive to use, which is a problem with business users.

• "The most valuable user feature that we use right now is the camera."
    • "It's not intuitive in that way, which has always been a problem, especially with business users."

What other advice do I have?

I had a demo recently that was actually for Octane, but in that demo, I found out about a couple of tools that I actually have access to now that I didn't know about before. One of them was a JIRA integration and the other was a way to create manual task steps, actually just stepping through the application, which could be automated. I was like, "Wait, I'm near the end of my three-year license, and I'm just now about this?" I was like, "I could have been using this?" So, those are the new tools I'm looking at, and it actually came up because, as I said, we're renewing our license, and when my…
    Assistant Director Quality Assurance at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    A single tool for all our needs including ​​requirements, testing, and defect management

What other advice do I have?

Be aware of the cost aspect, it is very expensive.
    Subject Matter Expert at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Cross project customization helps to maintain standards for fields and workflows throughout projects

• "Cross project customization through template really helps to maintain standards with respect to fields, workflows throughout the available projects."
    • "Defect ageing reports need to be included as built-in."

What other advice do I have?

Think about the below before you start implementing this product: * What’s the total user base you are expecting to on-board? * How many projects/countries/entities are going to be on-boarded to the platform, and then design the hardware configurations accordingly. * Do you have any other tools which need to be integrated with this product? Is there any ready-to-use integration already available or do you need to build it from scratch? * Note that this product does provide the ability to control user access and provides security. * Talk to your network security team and check if anything…
    Sr Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    With the BPT module, we can update test cases in less time as would otherwise take to update two or three business components.

What other advice do I have?

For testing processes and improvements, I would suggest you use this product. But, if you're looking at cost, then that might be a concern, but no doubt it is the best tool for testing.
    Team Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy To Track Test Cases' Automation Status

What other advice do I have?

As long as you can afford it, go for this product. Otherwise, there are less expensive or open source products with almost the same features.
    VP of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Unable To Run Test Automation On The Saas Platform

What other advice do I have?

Can be beneficial for large companies, but check out alternatives. Some of them might fit the bill for less money.
    QA Expert at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Use The REST API To Automate QA Reporting And Integrate QA Information Into the Development Build Process, However The Initial Setup is Extremely Complex

What other advice do I have?

Same advice as for any Test Resources Management product: KISS – "Keep it simple, stupid."
    Test analyst in behalf of Alten at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Plan Your Test Execution Very Thoroughly With Configurations And Setups In The Test Lab
    Test Manager
    ​It Forced Different Parties To Collaborate Better Yet There Were Stability Issues.

What other advice do I have?

Do the cost benefit analysis, and understand how the product/tool is a solution rather than a nice-to-have because it is flashy. It should fit the organization’s size and needs.
    Test Manager
    Centralized And Unified Repository Of Requirements And Testing Artifacts In Real Time

What other advice do I have?

Get input regarding the evolving core customer's unmet needs to help choose the right solution.
    Test Lead
    Helps In Managing Defects But Technical Support Is Weak.

What other advice do I have?

Compare with other test management tools to see their benefits. We did compare with JIRA. Every tool has its own pros and cons. It depends on the organization's needs.
    IT Manager of Operations at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Seamless Validation Testing Efforts From Requirements, Though Setup May Be Complex.

What other advice do I have?

It is the standard upon which all products are gauged.
    Service Manager at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Provides A Centralized Means Of Accessing Data, Monitoring Progress, And Creating A Singular View Of Test Status.

What other advice do I have?

Perform the recommended due diligence when adopting any new tool and ensure that the tool adoption correctly addresses the problem being experienced. This is a good tool and if correctly implemented will provide a solution to a number of delivery focused issues within a business.
    QA Analyst at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Improved Our Ability To Share Reports Which Are Understandable To All Levels Of Business.

What other advice do I have?

It's better suited as an enterprise tool that can support the licensing cost, instead of for a small shop.
    Senior Technical Test Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Tests and test flows are organized properly. Notifications to developers/testers is also a plus
    BW
    Sr. Test Automation Engineer with 201-500 employees
    You get the most value using all modules from Management to Defects.

What other advice do I have?

I always used ALM and UFT. However, I had training and evaluated IBM JAZZ tools.
    Sr. Test Automation Engineer at NORC at the University of Chicago
    Range of supported technology expands, but odd IDE design still leave newbies and pro users alike disappointed.

• "So the first impression that hits me about HP UFT 14.0 (formerly QTP) is that it seems to be a whole lot faster! But that could be subjective, as I'm running it on a high end gaming system."
    • "There are always new features and more support for new and legacy technology architectures with each release. But the bad news is a growing list of long-standing issues with the product rarely gets addressed."

What other advice do I have?

Take tool training by someone with years of experience. HP, Orasi and RTTS all offer the level of training that gets you to the advanced state quickly. And if you might be longing for the IDE toolset that Microsoft offers in Visual Studio, then look at Test Design Studio from Patterson Consulting to enhance your UFT toolbelt.
    IT Solutions Analyst at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Defect Management is a feature allows us to track the defect status for our projects

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead with this tool. It is for the project management and test execution. Do consult a few of the other folks using this tool to understand the tricks.
    Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    We deal with our test cases and execution, and the mapping is taken care by the product

What other advice do I have?

Have a skilled person to do the administration. You will love the ease of reporting that results in.
    Managing Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Allows you to arrange your test data in a systematic manner.

What other advice do I have?

You must look to implement the minimum system requirements, Configuration, for the server for optimum and efficient use.
    Software Development Engineer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    Customization is the most valuable feature. Other products don't have such a flexible tool.

What other advice do I have?

As an advise for developers who will develop such applications I would like to say - always try to support the area in an actual state, i.e., by using modern ideas/technologies if possible. Also, listen to the customer's needs, have flexible customization tools and do not forget about performance.
    Process Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    Provides a centralized and coordinated view of requirements, tests, and defects. The main barriers of entry are cost and implementation.
    Vice President - Test Management Lead at DBS Bank
    This solution has improved collaboration between our test teams

• "Templates: Allows us to standardize fields, workflows throughout hundreds of HPE ALM projects."
    • "Client-side ActiveX with patch upgrades"

What other advice do I have?

Below is a checklist for others considering a test management solution: * CIO sponsorship * Number of projects * Number of concurrent users * Standardization needs * Ease of control and management * Access rights for individual roles * Event driven workflow customization * Extending beyond test management to TDD, BDD, test data management, test environment, and CI/CD tools. * Focus on where you want to solve each problem and identify relevant tools for each of these. * Availability of skilled resources * Hiring the right resources to manage: There are easily millions of test management users…
    Director of Quality Assurance with 501-1,000 employees
    Test tracking eliminated the need to track test executions on a separate application. It is an expensive tool.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure it fits into your cost structure and consider the annual maintenance cost in your evaluation.
    Performance Test Architect and HP ALM Expert at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Some of the valuable features are APIs and dashboards. It has one of the most rigid, inflexible, and expensive license models.

• "Integration with other HPE products."
    • "The UI is very dated. Most applications these days have a light UI that can be accessed by pretty much any browser; QC still uses a UI which has a look almost the same for the past 20 years."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend going towards another solution unless you have an entire HPE shop. Other similar products offer more features, are lighter, and are very light on the pocket book, too. We are also moving away from this product, primarily due to licensing costs
    Account Director at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The most valuable thing is that it handles requirements, tests, and defects in one tool

What other advice do I have?

It’s too expensive for most organizations compared to some other tools on the market. I’d look at QASymphony, Borland, and of course IBM, before committing to any of them.
    Software Quality Assurance & Testing Specialist, MTN Nigeria Ltd at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The report feature has helped me to generate a quality index report. The product creates a database per project and this results in poor disk space management.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product, but it still requires customization.
    QA Expert at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Allows us to track our manual tests with actual results and screenshots. The Active-X technology requires client-side installations that are difficult to manage.

• "Test Execution (Test Lab): This allows us to track our manual tests with date and time and enter actual results and screenshots."
    • "ALM requires that you install client side components. If your organization does not allow admin rights on your local machine, this means you will need someone to run the installation for you with admin rights. This client side install is also limited to Internet Explorer and does not support any other browsers."

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to have a DBA available when you install. There have almost always been changes needed to the DB when I have installed the application.
    OATS Engineer-Onsite Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "I personally found the defect tracking feature very useful in my ongoing project."
    • "The session timeout time needs to be longer in my opinion."

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend HPE Quality Center for its simplicity and ease of use whereby Business and Technical teams can see each other's progress and help make better decisions.
    Principle consultant at Active Data Consulting Services Pty Ltd
    Being able to quickly and easily compile executables on Multiple Platforms.
    Sales at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Support of the agile methodology is the most valuable feature.
    Test lead at a international affairs institute with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Allows us to do defect resolution. The dashboard was difficult to customize.

What is most valuable?

Allows us to do defect resolution from logging to resolution. It gives us an overview of all the defects and prioritization for resolution.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard was not working at first. Later on, it was difficult to customize it.

We have used it on and off for over four years.
    Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    The most valuable features are overview, primary requirements, and test cases.
    Team Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We can define how we structure and execute the tests.
    Test Process Manager at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
    Schedules tests and nightly runs. It creates reports and statistics.
    Principal Business Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Valuable for us is having all the data in one place. Having the support for a process of testing.

What other advice do I have?

When considering vendors we look for stability, support and reliability. And that's probably it. So we probably are not going for small vendors.
    Head of Department Testing at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    This solution helps us to connect the business mindset with our business analytics.
    Validation Office at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
    Provides traceability from requirements to executed tests and fixed defects.

What other advice do I have?

I think it is over-priced and would recommend looking carefully at other options.
    Validation Office at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
    It helped us become compliant with GAMP and ISO requirements. The user interface is dated and not terribly intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

We had to modify the product considerably to get it to do what we wanted, especially reporting. It never did fully meet our needs for traceability back to user-readable requirements documentation.
    Business Systems Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The most valuable features are cross referencing and traceability.

• "Having the links maintained within the tool is a huge boon to reporting requirements, tests, and defects."
    • "Cross project reporting is limited to similar database schemas"

What other advice do I have?

* Be thoughtful and consistent. * Know your current business process and incorporate it into the application. * Ensure that the management is handled at an enterprise level, as opposed to a department or group level. This allows the application to grow in a supportable direction, while allowing a certain amount of flexibility.
    Software Test Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It enables us to manage and track tests, and to record the effects while providing us with full traceability.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you set it up correctly, and make sure you use the full range of tools in it. It will provide you with enough information for you to produce reports and get a full understanding from what you have done. Our most important criteria when we choose a solution are reliability and scalability.
    Software Test Manager at Almac Group
    By creating our test cases, executing test cases and then raising defects, it gives us visibility back to our functional requirements.

What other advice do I have?

From a testing perspective, it is a great product for system test and delivers everything that you need. It gives you the complete package and full visibility from your requirements to creating tests, test execution and defect tracking. Definitely a great tool. When looking at vendors, we look for reliability, trust. If you do have an issue, you want to know that somebody is going to take an interest in it.
    Executive Alliances at EOH
    It is robust and the testing tools are beneficial, especially the REST API environment.

What other advice do I have?

Specifically for this solution, they need to be in a close relationship to co-develop functionality. They also need to know the vendor is there. That is the biggest plus from an HPE perspective.
    Director at Scott/Tiger - Test & Quality Management
    You can have global templates instead of specific templates for each product. It's a stable platform.
    Senior Director Global QA at NICE Actimize
    LeanFT and Quality Center

What other advice do I have?

We chose HPE because I had good experience with them when I was Test Director. In term of overall experience, HPE provides a good experience for the users and a lot of benefits which you cannot find with other vendors.
    Process Analyist at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Real-time insight into software development. It's a little bit costly and needs testing analytics.

What is most valuable?

All types of data can be seen in one place.

How has it helped my organization?

Real-time insight into what’s going on. Helps us work aligned with reality.

What needs improvement?

It's doing what it should do, but it's a little bit costly. I would like to see some kind of testing analytics.

Stability is good; no problems.

So far, we have not had any scalability problems.

I was involved in the setup. It is an out-of-the-box, simple installation. Now we're doing data migration to the database. We are just reading the manual, but more people are involved. This is a normal process.

What other advice do I have?

Senior Manager - Projects at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it to test business requirements through user acceptance testing. Integration into release management is missing.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t just focus on the technology and buying it, but rather focus on the processes behind the support of the technology. That was our biggest lesson.
    Testing Center Manager at Groupement des Mousquetaires
    You can include a requirement test case, feasibility of execution, and dashboard reporting for web or mobile applications.

What other advice do I have?

Use ALM because it's simple; it has all information you need to communicate with all people involved in a project, whether they are in IT or not IT. This is the aim of the testing lifecycle. The most important thing when choosing a vendor is that the product is user friendly and can integrate with all your old modules. It helps to have one application rather than multiple applications to connect with all the different companies.
    Technical Test Analyst and Automation Engineer at Unum
    Grant different users access to the specific section they need. It has made our development process more professional.

What other advice do I have?

Try and have a play with it and don't be afraid to customize. We've got this big workflow in ours, so you can control the rules a lot better as to who can do what, who has access, and what they can see. Out of the box, it's a bit vanilla and there's the risk that someone could be given wrong permissions and accidentally do something they shouldn't.
    Vice President, IT Application Services at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Since we have a disjointed arena, it provides a central repository for all our testing artifacts and documentation.

What other advice do I have?

HPE has a great suite or had a great suite in their software department and everything integrates very well. For those who are looking at HPE or now Micro Focus in terms of their software, I would advise them to consider interoperability of all the capabilities. That is the key for speed and implementation as opposed to feature functions. One of the things that we've found with the HPE suite is that the interoperability is hands-down second to none. It's 100% reliable to us. It provides us everything we need. It's scalable, flexible, centralized and also integrates well. What more could you…
    QA at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Valuable for Defect Management, Test Management, MS Excel Reporting, Analysis Graphs.
    Senior Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The advantage is that we can test applications before they go to production.

What other advice do I have?

As far as we know, it's the best tool on the market right now. They're considered the Cadillacs of the testing tools right now. Don't necessarily go with their most recent version code release right now. It kind of depends on what your needs are and the size of computer shop that you've got.
    Software QA Lead at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Has scaled out well for us. Prior to the last few years we saw a lot of issues with stability.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have time to develop a lot of reporting and our customers want a lot of reporting. It's hard to have the expertise to write the scripts in the version that we have now. That's a major pain point for us, something that's missing. Another thing is we always hear about it performance. We have a huge load balance environment to try to speed up the performance but there's always some things that are slow in ALM. Just basic navigations are running automated tests is a big thing we hear. People want to run the tests as past as possible but they feel like they're limited by ALM sometimes.
    Director, Service Transition and Quality Management at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
    We use it to store requirements, test cases, defects, and other artifacts around certifying that quality is evident in every release.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a great platform. It does a lot for us, but the fact that our users don't want to be in the application is weird. They'd rather work in a spreadsheet and then upload their results to the actual server. Now it could just be their behaviour pattern, but I think if it was a little easier for them to kind of work in, they would have an easier time with it. Although on the plus side, the fact that it's open like that and you can just connect, maybe that's a positive too. So it's kind of a plus/minus. The UI they said, "Hey, I don't really like UI," but the fact that you can just upload…
    Manager, Application Services - Performance Engineering at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Helps us keep track of all the functional testing. Plugins to track e-signatures are hard to implement.
    Test Community Manager at Orange
    It helps us to keep track of everything happening. It's complex to setup because it's not fully web based.

• "Being able to manage tests as this is something very difficult to find in other products."
    • "As soon as it's available on-premises we want to move to ALM Octane as it's mainly web based, has the capability to work with major tests, and integrates with Jenkins for continuous integration."

What other advice do I have?

If you have the money then you can go with ALM, as it's a very good product. You won't have any surprises with it so that's good. Otherwise, there are some open source solutions that are a little bit less functional, but you can play with them and get them to work, products like Squash TM or things like that.
    Provides a way for us to show our work as a repository for our test-cases.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't rate it a 10 because it doesn't have the ability to do all the things the developers use today, like TFS. Overall I would recommend it, because of its ease of use. It doesn't take much to get up to date on it and to learn the process of using it for your test-case execution in ALM. You don't have much time to spend on education. You don't have two weeks for them to learn an application. So, because it's easy to use, I would definitely recommend it for that reason.
    Senior Quality Assurance Analyst at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    For all of our applications that we test we build our test cases, load them into Quality Center, and then we track our defects.

What other advice do I have?

It works for us in terms of being able to track our test cases, absolutely being able to store results if we want to put in defects and build metrics. It is a pretty decent tool.
    Senior Manager Assurance Quality, Tests, and Environnements at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    I like the fact that it is self-contained since we can do everything inside of it.
    Micro Focus ALM/Mobile Center/UFT Administrator/Software Quality Analyst III at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides the classic benefits of an application lifecycle management tool.
    IT QA Test Manager at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It allows you to collect your requirements, your test cases, and execute test cases automatically.

What other advice do I have?

It doesn't do Agile very well. We can make it do it, but it wasn't designed to do it either. That's not being fair to the product. It's a waterfall-based product. You should go straight to HPE Agile Manager.
    Senior Configuration / SQA Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The ability to have visibility of manual and automated test results within the one product certainly cuts down on the management overhead.
    QA Technical Lead at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides us with a faster regression testing cycle than when doing it manually.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a shot, if you take the time to invest in it, it works.
    QA Program Manager-Quality Assurance at NBC Universal
    We use it for quality insurance, depositories, and for our difference management. It seems that in order for us to get the full capabilities, we have to purchase AGM.

What other advice do I have?

It's a big solution, I'm just using one part of it. For the other part of it, there are a lot of improvement that needs to happen, so just looking at my little piece isn't enough. It all depends what your needs are. If you are very modernized, and have short cycles, you should evaluate other tools also. It all depends on your needs because each organization is very different. Maybe some organizations have lots of money and they want to go ahead and go for the big shop, and they can do that.
    Test and Automation Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides our team with a well-defined structure for the way each person should work, giving us a standardized process.
    Senior Test Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    For us, the most valuable features are the task management function and the requirements gallery that's true to test execution.
    Software Tools Specialist at a media company with 10,001+ employees
    We can customize it to do what we want it to do. I think the biggest challenge with ALM is getting useful data in one place.
    Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It gives us a uniform way of working and reporting on defects as a project progresses.

What other advice do I have?

We work with many partners and contractors, and they always come in and say "we would like to use another tool." I always challenge them and say, "If you can give me clear advantages on paper of going with another tool, then I'll go." So far, no one's been able to convince me.
    Test Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We have developers, project managers, stakeholders, everybody referring to one single point-of-truth for everything that is related to a project. We'd like a proper web client that has good coverage.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have full acceptance of all involved or possibly involved groups. Make sure that your management supports it and everybody is happy to use the tool and happy to share a good level of information in the development life cycle. This is where, for us, the most benefit came out of it. If you have a defect, you can easily with a mouse click get the full information.
    Senior Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    When it records a test, it will produce analyses to do cross-project reporting. This becomes a large repository of data and information that's valuable for us to make necessary improvements.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to research the full system requirements you need for the initial install. In corporate environments, once you've got it up and running, it's more difficult to get off of it. Also, plan to scale up based on projected CPU and space that you'll need to get.
    Test Automation Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We have a lot of people working on it at the same time, so it's scalable.

Valuable Features

ALM allows everyone to work at the same time, doing defects and reporting the same way.

Room for Improvement

ALM is quite heavy to use because of the process. Everybody needs to do the same process at the same time, and that’s quite heavy. We get a lot of complaints from customers that they're forced to use a process that is so heavy.

It's not always very stable, but that depends on how you implement it in your organization. We put it on a separate server host in Singapore managed by our guys in Bangalore, so they make sure that they’re always available first.

We have a lot of people using it and it works fine.

Technical support is quite good, but sometimes it depends on who…
    .NET developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Requirements traceability, the dashboard, the camera, and customized notifications of different instances are valuable features I've seen.
    Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    I use it as one tool, from requirement tracking to defect tracking, but it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Check the price and compare to other available tools in the market and decide select the one best fits the needs.
    Quality Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It's helped in formalizing and adding structure to what was a series of checklists that were not version controlled.
    Senior Test Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Reporting structure can be done using a self generated graph. This makes reports look professional even if the user is not completely clued up on ways to report.

What other advice do I have?

You should invest in Quality Center if you are looking for the following : * High visibility of project progress * If you cannot afford automation. or are not completely convinced but want to speed up their testing efforts, you can look into getting a Quality Center/ALM plug-in called Sprinter. A very good testing tool that is worth trying out. * If you want a quick and smooth transition from manual testing into automation. Its smooth because HP holds your hand until your team is able to execute QTP independently. They are also available to see you through any technically difficulties.
    Principle Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's improved our test workflow for defect management, although linking between modules has room for improvement.

What is most valuable?

Workflow management is a feature we find valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with common development and test workflow for defect management.

What needs improvement?

Linking between modules, with actual field values like those between defects and releases.

I've used it for over 10 years.

The desktop deployment causes issues when the enterprise has locked down PC. The application itself is hosted by HP (SaaS).

Very good, 99.9%

It scales to our needs.

Customer Service:…
    Technical Test Analyst and Automation Engineer at Unum
    It added structure to the test process and enabled the developers to better understand the QA process, though it should integrate with Agile Manager.

What other advice do I have?

It is still the best QA tool on the market that integrates with most of other tools we use. It allows everyone who wants to be able to see the current quality of the project and control the QA process. Fully understand the different options out there and the license types. Other tools may offer similar and you will probably want to customize some of the options to get the best out of it. Have not tried the cloud option which would take away any implementation and upgrade issues.
    QA Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Managing the test cases is one of the most valuable parts of the tool.

Valuable Features:

Test Plan Test Lab Defects tracking and management

Improvements to My Organization:

Managing the test cases and defects tracking are the most valuable features, which we use daily.

Room for Improvement:

I like all the features and can't think of anything that needs improving.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for eight years.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Nowadays, all companies are looking for free software, and for this reason, many companies are developing their own tools similar to Quality Center and using that tool instead. License costs have a direct effect on the ROI of the company.

Other

Sr. Quality Assurance Software Lead at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    It allows multiple project stakeholders to deliver simultaneously without disparate information sources, though its integration to automation should be leaner.
    Test Leader with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has improved our testing designs and test reporting.

Valuable Features

The defects section is the most valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

It has improved our testing designs and test reporting.

Room for Improvement

Ability to export test plans (test cases and libraries) in other formats, such as in Excel. Test Lab functionality needs to be changed so you can set test attributes automatically with minimal effort.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years, although not in my current role.

My department doesn't do deployments, but I believe that the team doing it does have problems.

Customer Service: We have a specific department that deals with customer service. Technical Support: We have a specific department that deals with technical support.
    Manager - System Engineering at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    the modules provide the fundamental processes to record scope, capture test cases, and track execution for each phase of testing.

What other advice do I have?

For most large companies/installations, you will need to establish a core testing tools support group. This group can handle the care and maintenance of the application itself, the plug-in tools, user management, and deployment to various project teams. I would think taking this one within an isolated project team would be asking for headaches. Many organizations have turbulent histories with centralized testing -- it seems to typically depend on what is business critical -- not only externally, but internally (HR Payroll, for instance -- most companies can't tolerate issues with defects…
    Software Quality Engineer III at National Insurance Producer Registry
    It allows us to better track our testing coverage and plan our releases.
    Software Automation Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It has the ability to create a test script and then to write them in detailed steps.

What other advice do I have?

Quality Center is a very powerful tool. It is not only a defect tracking tool but also a management tool. It can be used for everything from creating requirements and test plans to test creation, execution and defect reporting.
    Global Technical Lead, Development Services at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We're able to integrate it with SAP Solution Manager and it provides transparency for test execution and tracking.
    Automation Test Lead at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The installation and configuration is straightforward for those with enterprise software deployment experience.
    QA Lead at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Though we can create QC project files to create a backup, there is size limitation when you restore the backup.
    Solution Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    It has given us end-to-end traceability and controlled changes to data allow for validated processes in a regulated environment.

What other advice do I have?

ALM/Quality Center is expensive, but it has its value and, in certain cases, the Enterprise edition is way too much, but it is very stable and reliable. You should review v12 Webclient solution for requirements management.
    IT Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It's helped us with our testing, both in terms of how to test and the ability to reuse test cases.

What is most valuable?

Traceability Ability to reuse test cases Reports

How has it helped my organization?

We now know more about how to test.

What needs improvement?

Import Library - Synchronization problems are often because the ALM interconnection with HP Solution Manager is too fragile.

I've been using it for six years.

We had a problem with the consultant.

Not really. Our big problem is that our in-house support of Solution Manager is not compatible. It's not a fault with the product.

For migration from v10 to v11, we needed to convert manually each project…
    Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    It has a centralized repository which can sync both onshore and offshore.

What other advice do I have?

It’s good to use for a big organization.
    Performance and Fault-tolerance Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's useful during triage calls because of Test Lab management and defect life-cycle tracking.
    Sr QA/UAT/Support Analyst at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    I like the defects tabs, test planning and execution features.

Valuable Features:

Test Plan Test Execution Defects tab Mapping tests to requirements Reporting

Improvements to My Organization:

The reports we can generate are better.

Room for Improvement:

The performance needs work, as over the past couple years, where I have worked with large companies, I noticed slower response times.

Use of Solution:

I have used HP ALM and Quality Center and TestDirector for 18 years.

There were some issues.

Stability Issues:

It is stable in its functionality, but there is some slowness with its performance.

Scalability Issues:

It seems to function with very large companies, but sometimes there seems to be a slower response time, and it could be an internal network issue within the company,…
    Owner with 51-200 employees
    It provides a centralized location for managing all aspects of your testing data and results. ​

What other advice do I have?

Do your research and talk to an expert regarding the product. Having demonstrations and trial access to the product helps with decision making. Understanding the requirements and your current environment helps guide the discussions with an expert. Understanding the limitations will also help.
    System Analyst at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The Business Process Change Analyzer (BPCA) feature can analyze objects on SAP transport requests to create a Test Set according to scenarios created.

What other advice do I have?

Use all that his product can offer as there is no need to buy others that can do the same tasks that HP Quality Center does. It's a complete tool that you can customize according to business/IT/user needs.
    Test Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides us with the ability to hierarchically group and maintain a regression pool of test cases.

What other advice do I have?

Be organised, as the tool has the abilities to support this.
    Test Manager/Senior Testing Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides Defects Synchronization to other tools, such as Borland StarTeam and JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

It's the perfect tool for testing purposes, but you need to consider other options if development teams do not use the environments supported by Quality Center.
    QA Manager and Manager Systems Test at a renewables & environment company with 501-1,000 employees
    The Test Plan/Case module permits assigning of multiple testers to a project and it provides real-time snapshots of project vitals.

What other advice do I have?

For small companies where audits/lawsuits etc. are not a factor, it's not worth the investment. You should use open source or lower cost alternatives (JIRA project/defect tracking, Test Link open source QC like Test Tool). However, for any company that wants a mature, highly developed platform that is constantly improving, need to survive audits, etc., you must consider HP ALM solutions such as HP Quality Center.
    Software Engineer in Test with 201-500 employees
    It provides traceability in test-case maintenance and we can run tests remotely with UFT integration.

What is most valuable?

Test case creation Test case execution Base lining Requirements

How has it helped my organization?

It is useful in test-case maintenance as it helps with traceability.

I used it for two years.

Not that I am aware of.

The stability of the product is good.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: I had little to no interaction with customer service. Technical Support: It's good.

We figured out HP ALM is good and switched from using…
    QA Specialist II at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It allows us to keep test cases and defects centrally located, however, the UI is primitive and the tool is hard to learn.

What other advice do I have?

Try MS Test Manager first, particularly if your code is .Net and/or your developers use Visual Studio.
    Senior Manager of eCommerce at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    As we're a large SAP shop, this solution provides us with the ability to track individual issues to a defined release and the scalability to meet our growing requirements.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool for a company looking to establish a scalable solution that will give you flexibility as you grow, BUT I would highly suggest you have individual(s) with the expertise to care for and feed it.
    Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It facilitates integration with automation tools and provides a centralized location for the testing life-cycle, giving traceability and visibility to all members and stakeholders of projects.

What other advice do I have?

Its a good tool for a perfect software development company where release/project roll outs happen on a planned basis. It's not a supportive tool for an agile environment.
    QA Tester at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We've found the requirements repository, signature-approval capability, and traceability matrix reporting to be useful.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure it is easy to use for your roles. If you have technical people, other solutions may be better (like resources with VB expertise, etc.). Make sure you implement it as organized by system functionality, not by project. My current company is just starting to use it, and they keep copying test plans for each project instead of reusing original test plans, which is a waste of time and resources.
    Manager at a outsourcing company with 501-1,000 employees
    With the test execution and creation monitoring feature, we can easily track the testing process as minute as test cases executed on a particular system.

What other advice do I have?

There are so many other tools available in market, so before investing a huge amount in Quality Center, you should analyze other tools as well.
    QA Manager - Test Automation with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it for multiple purposes: test management, defect tracking, traceability, requirement tracking, and test execution.

What other advice do I have?

Prospective buyers should know that it doesn’t support all browsers and that browser costs are high.
    ALM Administrator & Software QA Pro at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    It's a very stable product but Requirements Management needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Reporting Dashboard Traceability Application Lifecycle Management

How has it helped my organization?

The tool has increased the collaboration between different teams.

What needs improvement?

Some improvement to the Requirements Management are needed.

I've used it for five years along with HP Quality Center Enterprise Edition v10.

No issues encountered.

No, it's a very stable product.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8//10. Technical Support: 7/10.

Which solution did I use

Test Analyst with 51-200 employees
    Great defect traceability and Reporting; Easy upload of test suites. Cons: License acquisition is complicated.

Valuable Features:

The integration with MS Excel, test suite upload feature, Document builder and the test run process.

Improvements to My Organization:

Helps in providing an archive of test suites for easy regression. Also helps to keep track of the time spent on test executions, and defect management.

Use of Solution:

Two years plus.

Deployment Issues:

The Client was needed in our network environment because the Web GUI was found to be unstable.

Stability Issues:

The client crashes every so often, but only when left idle for a while.

Other Advice:

Majority of the tests done by my company are manual so QC serves majorly as a depository for our client.
    Testing Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The defect triage and management needs improvement but the entire project test life-cycle can be managed in one place.

What other advice do I have?

If you want AN end to end testing lifecycle product, I think HP is the winner. It has test management (ALM), Automation (UFT) and Performance (PC) testing, and it all is in the bundled package from HP, so all end to end testing needs are managed. From a pure test management standpoint, ALM also stands tall as it provides a very good solution to manage requirements, test cases, defects, traceability and reports, and not just bug management.
    Team Lead at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Test report generation is a valuable feature but can be improved.

What is most valuable?

Test Management Test Report Generation

How has it helped my organization?

Option to trace bug directly from App.

What needs improvement?

Test Report Generation Creating test iterations/projects

I've used it for over two years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Did not use it, as it was enterprise provided. Technical Support: We have an internal technical team.

We previously…
    Transition Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nice tool for Product ownership and Scaled Agile
    Test Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The tool is user friendly

What is most valuable?

Different modules (e.g. Requirements, Test Plan, Test Lab) Trace-ability from requirements, test cases and defects Project Analysis in terms of progress - Dashboard (Reports)

How has it helped my organization?

Had different releases and in QC we could group our test cases according to releases and we could know when each release starts and when it ends

3+ years

In-house

Not certain
    Senior Engineer in QA at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good test management tool

What is most valuable?

Dashboard, Uploading test cases, test execution.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides the entire test management suite, right from the initial phase of testing till the delivery.

I have used this tool for 1.5 years

No issues.

Customer Service: 8 out of 10Technical Support: 8 out of 10

We weren't previously using another solution.
    Senior Performance Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    It's a good product and definitely can be considered in cases of large enterprise projects.

IT Administrator at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    The full product is very complex plus the licensing left much to be improved

Valuable Features:

I've been using Quality Center for 11 months.

Improvements to My Organization:

As long as procedures are clear, then anyone can execute the tests. It no longer has to be the person that initially discovered the issue.

Room for Improvement:

Full product is very complex plus the licensing left much to be improved.

No - We were a smaller company than most.

No dealings with them or the technical support

Initial Setup:

Unknown as was not involved in initial setup

Implementation Team:

In-house…
    Head of QA at a analyst firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Very strong product but I would like to see integration with an Agile Tool
    Valuable Features: I've used this product for 8 years. I find Managing Test Life Cycle and Reporting to be the most valuable components. Improvements To Organization: Test Management has become very easy. All the test cases are tracked and reports can be run on various factors to decide productivity, code status, defect density etc. Room For Improvement: Integration with an Agile Tool (e.g. RTC) Deployment Issues: No Stability Issues: No Scalability Issues: No Customer Service: Very Good Technical Support: Very Good Initial Setup: It's straightforward but sometimes it can interfere with other products because of lots of client components. Other Advice: It's a very strong product which comes up with lots of additional add-ins.
    Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Top Reviewer
    Decent support in resolving issues but steep learning curve
    HP ALM 11.0 The ALM market is rapidly maturing as organizations recognize benefits of the holistic approach to managing requirement, builds, tests and releases, and vendors rush to satisfy the demand. In addition to the numerous commercial offerings one might be able to assemble his own ALM stack with best-of-breed components. There are many tools that excel in specific are of ALM such as requirements management, or defect tracking (e.g. Atlassian Jira); then there are suites that integrate most of the capabilities (e.g. CollabNet, RallySoftware), and there are integrated stacks focused on specific technology (e.g. Microsoft  TFS, even with a limited support for Java platform)… But there are currently only two fully integrated enterprise class technology vendors - HP and IBM – that rule…
    QA Manager at a media company with 51-200 employees
    I've used HP-Test Center, Manits, and the more simpler Rally based test plan tool among a bunch of others. HPTC can be a beast if you let it get out of control and get too large a test plan, but has nice tools for testing against a certain release version and is a bit water-fally. Mantis is good for a scrum based setup. But then again it depends on what your testing, size of the testing staff, and how long they (SMs, BMs, and PMs) give you in a testing cycle. In the more Agile shops, testing has to have a quicker turn around and is more feature-targeted so big systems like HPTC, while nicely thorough, tend to become big projects to maintain. The choice has to meet the type, organizational scope, and Agile-ness of testing project you have.
    Head of QA with 51-200 employees
    I always recommend it as the tool to implement for test management
    I've installed and configured Quality Center for multiple clients. They have found it to be a robust and reliable tool for managing their test assets and efforts. One of the top Test Management tools for a good reason. I always recommend it as the tool to implement for test management. It also interfaces well with other HP tools such as QTP and Loadrunner. The new ALM version (v.11) has some very nice functionality that users at all levels can leverage in their test work.
    BPM Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Product review for hp quality center

Valuable Features:

It is an application lifecycle management product for IT projects. It is powerful to manage the requirement traceability, coverage, test case design, mapping, test execution, defect tracking, reporting.

Room for Improvement:

A little slow Agile model support not very good
    QA Expert at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Versatile QA management tool but expensive
    I have used HP Quality Center (QC) for over 3 years in industrial setup. QC is an versatile Quality management tool that offers test case and defect management capabilities along with a customizable reporting process. It also integrates with other defect and requirement tracking tools making it a good fit in multi-team environments as well as integrated application environment. QC does have an involved initial setup but once done, it is fairly easy to use by testing and defect management teams. However, as QC comes with a high license and maintenance cost, it is more suitable for large projects in terms of cost. Pros: 1> Intuitive GUI: Fairly easy to use and follow. For using QC, deep knowledge of the tool is not required. 2> For each test case, a test script with detailed steps…
    QA Expert at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Extremely versatile QA management tool, but costly

What other advice do I have?

I have used HP Quality Center (QC) for over 3 years in an industrial setup. QC is a versatile Quality management tool that offers test case and defect management capabilities along with a customizable reporting process. It also integrates with other defect and requirement tracking tools, making it a good fit in multi-team environments, as well as integrated application environments. QC does have an involved initial setup, but once it's done, it is fairly easy to use by testing and defect management teams. However, as QC comes with a high license and maintenance cost, it is more suitable for…
    Senior Manager of QA at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
    Flexible, customizable and easy to integrate, but high licensing cost
    QA Expert at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    The best test resource management tool for a large company
    Quality Center is a great tool for a large enterprise. It maintains data integtrity and allows for flexibility through a robust API. Its not for novice users, and it allows you to shoot yourself in the foot readily, but competent users will be able to do more with it than any other test resource management tool [since it allows you to relate your test requirements to test cases to test execution to defects reported]. I wrote this additional comment when I didnt see my earlier one post.
    QA Expert at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Robust API and maintains data integrity very well. Great for larger organizations.

Valuable Features:

Very robust API to interface with the tool and you can customize how its used. Maintains data integrity very well. Very customizable. Great for larger organizations.

Room for Improvement:

Reporting is almost useless, but it does allow you to extract information directly from the database through a robust API and report with your favorite tool [excel, Crystal]. Not easy for lay people to administer.
    Senior Manager of QA at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Very good all around test management tool

Valuable Features:

Traceability of bugs to script execution (Test Lab) to Script (Test Plan) to Requirements, Easy to use. Web based, so it is easily accessible at multiple sites worldwide.

Room for Improvement:

Expensive Maintenance & Support (M&S), Annual fee.
    Download our free Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.