Micro Focus Data Protector Overview

Micro Focus Data Protector is the #24 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Micro Focus Data Protector vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Micro Focus Data Protector?

Built on a unified architecture that leverages analytics and automation, Micro Focus Data Protector delivers comprehensive data protection, real-time intelligence, and guided optimization to ensure simple, reliable, intelligent and cost-effective backup and recovery that is just as agile as your current and future IT environments. By standardizing the backup and recovery of information spread across locations, applications, formats, storage platforms, operating systems, and hypervisors, Data Protector provides assurance for mission critical information from the core to the edge, across physical, virtual, and cloud infrastructures.

Micro Focus Data Protector is also known as Data Protector, OmniBack, HPE Data Protector.

Micro Focus Data Protector Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus Data Protector Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Micro Focus Data Protector Customers

GSK Vaccines, Repsol, Vodafone Group, Siemens AG, Medium Enterprise Transportation Services Company

Micro Focus Data Protector Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus Data Protector pricing:
  • "The licensing cost was not annual. We didn't pay any license. We paid when we deployed and we didn't pay for anything after that. There were no additional fees after the initial payment."
  • "The pricing is around $3,000 to $5,000. The charge additionally for support and to scale."

AD
Datacenter Engineer at Al Ittefaq Steel Products Company
Great automation and very good data deduplication but lacks good reporting

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data backups.

• "Data Protector is very good at automation. From the time of the backup, verification, and copy to tape, it is very good. I don't need to touch it, it will do it by itself."
  • "If you compare the solution with the same specific features and enhancements on another solution, Data Protector is expensive. This is especially true when compared to, for example, Veeam."

What other advice do I have?

We have a service level agreement with Micro Focus. I cannot say that Data Protector is the perfect tool for my aim. Data Protector is losing to the competition day by day due to the fact that there are so many other features on the market. Data Protector doesn't need to copy their competition, but they at least have to have an offering that's equivalent. Especially now, looking at the console, there's been no money put into updates or UI, especially if you compare it from 2007 until the present day. The technology itself is proven and it is working fine. I have a lot of machines, so I have…
AT
Storage & Backup Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
VMware backup integration and cloud recovery lacking; good deduplication implementation with CAPA

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is mainly for data protection for both short-term and long-term retention. We are resellers of Micro Focus and I am a storage and backup engineer.

• "Deduplication implementation with CAPA is very good."
  • "VMware backup integration and cloud recovery is lacking."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus Data Protector. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OZ
Infrastructure Section Head at citystars Properties
Reliable solution that enables us to do different backups for different databases

What is our primary use case?

We are using the on-prem version of this solution. We use the software for both the Microsoft application backup and Oracle backup. We are planning to switch to Veeam in the next six months.

• "The feature that was most valuable was that we could restore one mailbox and we could do different backups for different databases."
  • "It's very expensive compared to Veeam and other similar solutions."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is very stable, it was very helpful. We are confident that when we do a backup, we are sure that we can restore it which is very valuable. It's very reliable and we are confident when doing a backup, we could restore it. I would rate it an eight out of ten. It is very stable and we trust it but we've had some problems with it which is why I would deduct two points.
EZ
Head of Virtualization and IT Services Area at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability but hard to use and lacks access to training

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our server backup and some Linux system backups as well as a backup for our SQL.

• "The stability of the product seems to be quite good."
  • "Other tools seem to be easier to use."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a special relationship with this company. I'm not sure of the exact version we're using. It may be some iteration of version six. I'd advise new users to implement the solution using a support person and good documentation and to make sure they are putting the correct data policies in place. In the past, it was quite a good tool, however, now, due to a lack of training, or due to having a lack of staff that is trained in it, it is likely much easier to have something like Veeam, which isn't as complicated of a solution. On a scale from one…
RagidKader
Lead Solutions Architect at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
They need to focus more on hardware-based instant recovery, client recovery, and cloud abilities

• "It is a traditional backup model. If you talk about file server and the official Windows database, it's a stable product."
  • "Micro Focus Data Protector must improve its overall evolution record. They need to focus on hardware based instant recovery, client recovery, and cloud ability. Now there is no cloud ability."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Micro Focus Data Protector a three or three point five at the highest. If somebody wants to argue, I can go up to three point five, otherwise, three. It is very simple - they have not adopted the latest technologies. Micro Focus Data Protector works, but it's very slow and for the environment I'm running in there are better backups.
Zied Chelbi
Project Engineer at Tunelec
An excellent product for enterprises that offers unlimited scalability

• "Regarding scalability, it's unlimited with Data Protector. You can link multiple installations and let them work together. They can share backup devices. You have many possibilities with Data Protector. It's very proficient."
  • "People prefer Veeam because the interface is easier, and Data Protector is difficult in comparison."

What other advice do I have?

We essentially handle enterprise solutions. We work with enterprises that have their own cloud and machines to back up their systems. I would rate this solution ten out of ten. If you are an enterprise, and you need a strong backup solution, Micro Focus is for you. For me, it's the best.
Aamir Majeed
Storage / Backup Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Strong Integration With HP Storage But Not As Comprehensive As Other Solutions

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is integration with the HP storage unit. There is an HP product line called HP High-End Storage. We are primarily using Micro Focus Data Protector for SAP RT application, which is an earlier version.

• "Integration with HP storage is a very strong point for Micro Focus Data Protector. It is the best solution for general operations like backup and restore. Zero downtime backup (ZDB) is one very important feature, which is basically the integration with the storage array. It is a very strong feature. We're using storage with snapshots with this integration."
  • "In general, you can say that Micro Focus Data Protector is behind in capabilities when compared with other backup solutions, such as Commvault, Symantec, NetBackup, but it is very strong for certain use cases such as array integration. We are using it in production even now. There should be some kind of cloud integration and archiving solutions. I think this is the area they need to focus on."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product if you want to go for the ZDB backup or the array integration with HP products. In general, when comparing Micro Focus Data Protector with other backup solutions, such as Commvault, NetBackup, or any other vendor, they are much more comprehensive and have much more capabilities. I would rate Micro Focus Data Protector a seven out of ten.
StevenJamal
Enterprise Engineer at Computech Limited
Reseller
Has an easy setup but is only available on-premise

What is our primary use case?

The primary reason clients purchase this solution is for backup.

• "The initial setup is straightforward if you understand Data Protector."
  • "I don't like this solution so much because it's very technical and compared to Commvault and Veeam, it's not so user-friendly. The interface needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Considering the data report and also the possibility of maintenance and support, I would advise going for Veeam or Commvault because of the free trial security and backup possibility data protection, which is on-premise, cloud, and replication. This cannot be done by Data Protector. I would rate it a six out of ten. It only has the option for on-premise while the other solutions can do on-premise, cloud, and replication use the same interface. They should improve it to have a replication feature and do backups within the cloud. It can be a good device to use.
See 5 more Micro Focus Data Protector Reviews
Download our free Micro Focus Data Protector Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.