Micro Focus Data Protector Overview

Micro Focus Data Protector is the #23 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Micro Focus Data Protector vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Micro Focus Data Protector?

Built on a unified architecture that leverages analytics and automation, Micro Focus Data Protector delivers comprehensive data protection, real-time intelligence, and guided optimization to ensure simple, reliable, intelligent and cost-effective backup and recovery that is just as agile as your current and future IT environments. By standardizing the backup and recovery of information spread across locations, applications, formats, storage platforms, operating systems, and hypervisors, Data Protector provides assurance for mission critical information from the core to the edge, across physical, virtual, and cloud infrastructures.

Micro Focus Data Protector is also known as Data Protector, OmniBack, HPE Data Protector.

Micro Focus Data Protector Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus Data Protector Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Micro Focus Data Protector Customers

GSK Vaccines, Repsol, Vodafone Group, Siemens AG, Medium Enterprise Transportation Services Company

Micro Focus Data Protector Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Abuzaid Saad
Head, IT Network, Security & Data Center at ARABSAT
Apr 10, 2019
Protects valuable assets, but the reliability needs to be enhanced

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is backing up our data and restoring it when required.

• "Performs the backup properly and protects our data."
  • "The technical support is poor and should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

If a company has no protection for their data and information then they need this product. However, the reliability needs to be enhanced. Micro Focus needs to fix the current issues by working closely with customers to determine how it is that we can help. Overall, I would rate this product a six out of ten.
Tuan Phan Anh
Technical Manager at ONE Corp.
Apr 10, 2019
Enables us to back up file data but it needs better UI Design for Ease of Use & Deployment

What is our primary use case?

I use the Micro Focus Data Protector for our corporate data backup requirements. That is the main business need for this product by our company.

• "I have used Micro Focus Data Protector for the file backup facilities. My primary use of the software is to backup file data."
  • "They should design the solution so that it is much easier for deployment and make the UI easy to use."

What other advice do I have?

The Micro Focus Data Protector solution is not really good, but it is "good enough" that it can help our client requirements. If I compare Micro Focus Data Protector with other solutions, MFDP just does not have enough complexity in the UI. On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give Micro Focus Data Protector a seven. They should design the solution so that it is much easier for deployment and make the UI easy to use.
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus Data Protector. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user548295
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 18, 2018
Supports multiple operating systems but lacks backup testing before recovery

• "It's supports Unix, Linux, all of the OS's. It's very stable software."
  • "The new backup systems are using new mechanisms for the recovery phases; for example, VM, recovery and testing the backup before recovering it. These features are not available in Data Protector."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, first of all we need local support, here in our country, so that we don't need to open tickets with the vendor every time. A lot of times we need to open a ticket with local integrators. This is how we choose our backup software. A lot of the backup solutions have the same features or the features are similar, because when one of them adds a feature, the others, after a few months are are adding the same thing. So mainly, we're based on the local integrator, who is providing the support and who is doing the implementation, who has very good experience. Based on…
it_user334896
Senior Systems Administrator at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Aug 25, 2017
I've used it for 8 years now, since v5.5, and I've found that it backs up and restores our company's various systems without issue.

• "It is very easy to use and the interaction with various systems is very handy."
  • "Faster VEAgent Restores"

What other advice do I have?

Get it and use it. Read the manuals well before implementing and have a test environment in place, especially for upgrades.
it_user487941
Diretor Tecnico
Jul 25, 2017

How has it helped my organization?

The flexibility when restoring Oracle/SAP data.

What is most valuable?

Backup of SAP/Oracle -- they are more robust than the competition.

What needs improvement?

Virtualization.

Delay when using a big Internal database.

Same as above.

Excellent when support in Brazil gets the ticket.

Very easy.

Avoid using many LTO drives; when using fewer drives, the price will be extremely good.

it_user435672
IT Infrastructure Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 13, 2017
File system backup is the most valuable feature. Integration with the market applications must be improved.

• "The file system backup (by far, the most used) is the most valuable feature."
  • "Integration with the market applications must be improved, such as MS Exchange, MS Active Directory, SAP and Oracle. Other backup tools are more efficient with the integrated backups."

What other advice do I have?

The HPE Data Protector may not be enough to support your RPO/RTO needs, specifically for application integrated backups. Possibly, some complementary solutions will also be needed.
it_user339234
System Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 23, 2017
It provides us with reliable backups and restores., but the graphical interface needs to be improved.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with reliable backups and restores.

What is most valuable?

The reliability of HP Data Protector is the most valuable feature for us.

What needs improvement?

The graphical interface needs to be improved.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's great. Technical Support: It's great.

We used Arcserve 2000, and switched because Data Protector is more reliable and the licensing options are better.

It was mostly straightforward.

What about the

it_user334902
SAP Basis & Systems Administrator at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 23, 2017
The software is integrated with Exchange Server, and lately SAP HANA.

What other advice do I have?

You have to check the needs of your systems before you decide on your backup solution. Do you have many different platforms? Do you want to integrate the backup solution with a SAN environment? Do you want to use integrations (SAP R/3, Exchange Server, SQL, etc.)
it_user354912
Assistant Consultant at Tata Consultancy Services
Jun 15, 2017
Reliable on the server side for providing a trustworthy backend.

• "The installation was simple and provided an easy way to install even on Unix servers. It has excellent features like deduplication."
  • "VM backups needs to be improved. They need to make it similar to the way Veeam and Commvault are doing the virtual backups."
it_user503607
Data Center Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Mar 27, 2017
Detects and secures new data sources without requiring manual configuration.

• "Ability to automatically detect and secure new data sources without requiring manual configuration intervention."
  • "It can occasionally be inaccurate in its backup/recovery time estimates."

What other advice do I have?

I cannot recommend a better solution for enterprise-wide data security and retention.
it_user620592
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 12, 2017
Integrates into a virtualized environment. Solutions to issues are not included in new patches or versions.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely use it.
JA
Jason Antes
Senior Systems Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 26, 2017
Allows you to restore backups and verify them. I would like to see faster updates.

What other advice do I have?

Read through the manuals and best practice guides. They are well written and will get you up and running smoothly.
it_user611967
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Feb 22, 2017
Backup solution that allows us to configure, backup, and restore data on our severs. I would like to see better data integrity.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product. You must read the logs every day to be sure that everything runs smoothly. It is really easy to backup and restore your data across all servers, something that IBM Spectrum Protect struggles to do.
it_user587901
Systems Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jan 31, 2017
Brick-level restore helps me process daily restore requests.

What other advice do I have?

Implement the B2D technology, i.e. HPE StoreOnce, depending on your company setup. If a DR/FO is a requirement, consider another HPE StoreOnce in the DR/FO site and avail of the HPE StoreOnce replication capabilities. Invest in HPE consultancy to help plan out the environment.
it_user453399
IT Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 24, 2017
It enables us to back up to tape and restore files. We would like a direct plugin to VMware.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise colleagues to try it. If it fits their system, then go for it. Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor was cost.
it_user567678
Recruitment Manager at Bank of Georgia
Jan 24, 2017
Syncing among devices is interesting. You can control your payments, your business, your email, and so on.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to a colleague. The most important thing to me is that I can trust the vendor. I never feel that I am on my own without support.
it_user568185
Data Center Specialist at Atea Sverige AB
Jan 23, 2017
It integrates with the infrastructure layer. I would like to see more integration with virtual environments and platforms.

What other advice do I have?

When you evaluate products, take one important aspect, for example, ease of use; and then try to focus on that aspect when you compare it to different vendors.
it_user568194
Head of Systems and Data Services at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 10, 2017
With the media library, our disk-to-disk backup is also backed up to the tape.

What other advice do I have?

In addition to low cost, I am looking for stable systems. When looking for a vendor, we look at the financial thing. We are looking to reduce costs. From the technical side, most of the competitors have the same technical capabilities. From the technical side, you can get what you are looking for here or there.
it_user568026
Director and Information Technology Responsible at Liebherr
Jan 10, 2017
The most valuable feature is the number of agents available to back up our data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is the number of agents available to back up our data.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides one solution for all our backup needs.

What needs improvement?

We could use the ability to do snapshots for mass storage systems.

The stability is very good.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup was 12 years ago. That’s a long time ago.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise colleagues to have a look at it, and maybe to choose it. The most important criterion when we select a vendor is the catalog of products, quality of the product, and the price.
it_user567993
IT & BUSINESS SYSTEMS MANAGER at Meggitt
Jan 1, 2017
It is easy to use. You can drill down amongst several backup versions to the specific files you want back.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest getting Data Protector or lose my friendship. All kidding aside, if a colleague asked me for advice, I would say to seriously consider it. Other tools come close, but what you have to realize, with everything that's happening, going forward, you'd be daft to consider other options, especially if you're on a HPE platform. If you were running this tool on a Dell site stack, instead of HPE, it might be a different scenario. The HPE site stack can guarantee that there are no “gotchas” in there. If you're running Dell, then you would see that maybe it's not the product for you. Maybe you…
it_user568137
Distribution Engineering Specialist at Saudi Electricity Company
Jan 1, 2017
Provides unified support for data, storage, and backup. I would like more integration with VMware and HPE RMC.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest finding out what features you need before buying.
it_user567924
IT Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 1, 2017
We use it with just a client on servers, and then do backups. The license structure for advanced features can make it costly.
it_user567897
Senior Manager at Rolls Royce
Jan 1, 2017
It synchronizes backups from different locations to our central data center for disaster recovery.

What other advice do I have?

I think that if we were going to start again to look for a new solution, we would read and talk with different people to get their opinions. I think you will also find some new software solutions for backups on the market. It's also good. I'm not sure. If we had the same choice to pick up a software solution again, we would still decide on Data Protector in the future.
it_user568134
Infrastructure Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 27, 2016
Integrates with other HPE solutions and is scalable. I would like to see integration with hypervisors.

What other advice do I have?

If others have a similar environment like we do, then I would suggest this solution for them. When selecting a vendor, I look for local presence and good partner support.
it_user568086
Data Security Manager at Aspen Insurance Group
Dec 26, 2016
You can use it either from the command line or from a GUI. Better reporting functionality is needed.

What other advice do I have?

Go out to your network and ask people. If you've worked in IT, I always say it is worthwhile reaching out to old colleagues. If you're still in contact with them, ask them what they are doing, why they are using that software, and what the benefits are of using that software. You're going to understand more from someone’s first-hand experience. A company can come in and say, “We have all these customers that can be references for us; but they just pick really small customers who it has been easy working with. They're not going to tell you about a customer like us who has been currently having…
it_user567783
Systems Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 26, 2016
It's OS agnostic and the GUI is intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it, absolutely. Just check your network can cope with the product and the backup throughput.
it_user567825
Infrastructure Specialist at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 25, 2016
It provides secure D2D backups with compression and deduplication. I'd like the ability to search backups a lot easier.

What other advice do I have?

When it works, it works well. When it doesn't work, it can be very frustrating. I would look across the whole marketplace and see what's out there.
it_user567837
Infrastructure Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 24, 2016
As an ecosystem, it was quite smooth and easy.

What other advice do I have?

You need to look at the applications that you're backing up. For integration, it's case by case. The integration piece is the key. As a piece of technology, it's good.
it_user456630
Director Enterprise Solutions at Applied Computer Soultions
Dec 14, 2016
It reduced backup and recovery times, and helped with security mitigation.

What other advice do I have?

With respect to HPE data protection, you need to do the mapping with respect to what you're looking for. From my own personal experience, HPE was a pretty seamless install from an operational perspective. But, I never want to be involved in data protection again. It's a thankless job, but a necessary evil.
it_user567564
Infrastructure Manager at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 8, 2016
If we have a disaster, I can rely on them to recover the data.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the product, based on my experiences, obviously; being able to recover when we're required to get some data back; it is extremely reliable; and obviously the scalability and transforming the business as well.
it_user382596
Professional: Storage Administration at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 6, 2016
Newer versions have a resume feature that allows you to continue from the point of failure, instead of ruining the whole partition in case of a “restart failed objects“ error.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure architecture is planning properly, e.g., centralised or decentralised HPE DP Cell Managers give you some quite different options and etc.
it_user415407
Corporate IT Manager at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 31, 2016
HPE is letting this product slip away. My recommendation to them is to start investing in it.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very stable and will work. However, it has lacked serious funding over the years and other products have overtaken it. My advice to HPE is to start investing as you are letting this great product slip away.
it_user437310
System Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
May 18, 2016
We can recover the user-specific data when there is data loss, such as a mailbox or file server.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to learn for new users, not complicated, and has a simple backup and restore procedure. Last but not the least, it's easy to recover in case of disaster. The drawback is that there is some inconsistency and bugs with the level of technical support. I would recommend the product to others keeping in mind the ease of implementation, maintenance of software, and easy backup and restore steps.
it_user418371
Systems Administrator Staff / E4J with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 24, 2016
Our primary use is for disaster recovery, but the most frequent use is the restore function when a user accidentally deletes a file.

What other advice do I have?

The product works as described in our environment, but we are required to harden the application, which causes some backup failures. Otherwise, the D2D function and backups/restores function fine. The only advice I'd offer is to plan your backup solution with great detail. Make sure it will fit within your infrastructure and that the system is scalable. Make sure licensing is understood and that there are professional services available to implement the system in case your team needs assistance.
it_user414069
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Mar 31, 2016
​It gives a good overview of which tape library and tape drives are connected.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, when compared with other restore solutions, I can say most of the good features are packed inside a software that has a small footprint.
it_user380181
Backup & Recovery specialist at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 31, 2016
The integration with MaxDB and MS SQL gave us problems as it is never working the way we expect.

What other advice do I have?

Test everything at least twice. Don't listen to others but do the actual tests, even the absurd ones like "suppose I lost my entire backup solution in a fire, let's start from scratch and try to get everything back from tapes and or disks and or remote replica." I realize that v7 is almost out of support and we are looking to either upgrade or go for a different solution. In my experience with the sales and technical sales from HP, they have no fitting answer for our current solution unless we pay a lot of money for an assessment which will not guarantee anything. So if HP wants to improve…
it_user330393
Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 19, 2016
Many of my clients have been able to remove tape drives from remote sites, but the deduplication stores on Windows are a bit flakey.

Valuable Features

Low-bandwidth backups Deduplicated backup storage with StoreOnce.

Improvements to My Organization

Many of my clients have been able to remove tape drives from remote sites.

Room for Improvement

It has a reputation for bugginess.

Use of Solution

I've used it for approximately 20 years, since v2.1.

It's very easy to deploy.

The deduplication stores on Windows are a bit flakey.

There were problems in v7 and earlier, but they have been addressed now.

Customer Service: Customer service is mostly through partner companies, so it depends on which partner you are dealing with. Technical Support: If you can get to the right support technician, it's good, but…
it_user405447
Systems Consultant at NIIT Technologies Limited
Mar 16, 2016
Since it has the capability to do seamless integration with each of the OS's and hypervisors, this makes it a complete solution for my environment.

What other advice do I have?

People should consider the infrastructure size and type before selecting the product. It is quite good for managing a multi-technology infrastructure.
it_user402048
Systems support and operations manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 10, 2016
A few of the most valuable features for us are backup and restore, the SQL databases, and the exchange and VM's on tape libraries and disks.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We can do backups and restores easier and quicker than before.

What needs improvement?

The Virtual Environment component needs to be improved.

We've used it for 10 years.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

Sometimes a few of Data Protector's services do not start automatically even if they are set to do so.

We've had no issues with the scalability.

How are

it_user389994
Storage Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 18, 2016
We like the central, single pane of glass that allows us to manage our clients without having to log into their systems.

What other advice do I have?

It works best if you've also combined it with StoreOnce. You could use it with Data Domain, too. A lot of customers still have Cape by Verizon, and we wanted to get away from that and go to a digital solution. If you're going through a digital solution, I would recommend you include StoreOnce at the time of purchase. We didn't do that. StoreOnce actually does come with the product, so you can do a software StoreOnce. That works okay. You get better performance if you have a physical device than going through a software StoreOnce. Obviously, it depends on your budget, too, and that's really the…
it_user385245
IT Adminstrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 16, 2016
I like that the recovery of individual files is a quick process. Exporting our internal database from our named site manage to disaster recovery site manager could be made easier.

What other advice do I have?

Learning the ins and outs of the application itself will take some time to wrap your head around, but once you do it's pretty easy to manage overall. It's a pretty straightforward product.
it_user387966
Researcher at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 16, 2016
Good solution for backup and recovery.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product for backup and recovery. You should do the trial for 30 or 60 days and implement it on Linux or Windows, but not UNIX
it_user384924
IT Adminstrator at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 10, 2016
Feature-rich and capable, but not as reliable as it needs to be.

What other advice do I have?

Data Protector is a little bit more complicated than it should be. I think most people would probably agree that there's no such thing as good backup software, but Data Protector is certainly not the worst that we've used. It could be more reliable. It could be a little easier to understand. It could have a better user-interface, with better reporting. But in terms of actually, reliably, backing things up, it's superior to the other products that we've used in-house.
it_user384222
Technical Consultant with 51-200 employees
Feb 10, 2016
There are several valuable features, such as integrations with SQL, Oracle, Exchange, and VMware​.​ Granular Recovery is really difficult to install and configure.

What other advice do I have?

Be ready for an exercise in frustration, but once all the problems are resolved, then you’re OK.
it_user381594
IT Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 8, 2016
The most valuable feature for me is its flexibility as it has a solution for almost every situation in which we want to backup something.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is, make yourself comfortable with the white papers and best practices. If it is a basic installation, try the installation for yourself. If it is more complex, use a HP Partner. And don’t forget the care pack.
it_user381045
IT Adminstrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 4, 2016
With a little setup, you can connect and make online backups of entire structures like SAP/Oracle/MS Exchange.

What other advice do I have?

Stay in focused to make things work simply and use the software feature without fear. Data Protector offers a lot of customization, so know your environment particularities before setup and optimize the functions. 96% SLA from another big environment extract directly from Data Protector 99% SLA in backup success – Dashboard from our management console (comparing with other solutions in a same client) Session prints showing the high de-dup levels in VEPA backups with StoreOnce Software
it_user381510
IT SysAdmin at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 4, 2016
The most valuable feature for us is its ability to connect and integrate with all the other systems of our company. The database, stability, ease-of-use, and the interface need improvement.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to evaluate it first. My opinion is that HP doesn't improve this product enough.
it_user381021
Manager, Technology Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 4, 2016
​The ease-of-use and management capabilities are the more valuable features for us.
it_user366666
Operation Team Manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 12, 2016
We find the simplicity very useful.

Valuable Features

It's very easy to use. Really, the simplicity of it is something we find very useful. Otherwise, it might not be a solution that's beneficial for us.

Improvements to My Organization

Our central system must be powered at all times. Data Protector is always available for powering our central system. It does exactly what we need it to do.

Room for Improvement

It works with virtual machines, but it's way too complex right now. Also, the licensing structure is not very good.

Use of Solution

We've used it for 15 years.

It deploys without any issues.

It's quite stable.

We use the 300 series servers. We've determined that it won't scale any more for us while we researched an alternative backup…
it_user335142
IT Tekniker at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 5, 2015
It has helped out our backup services requirement for retentions, though the web interface needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

The database it provides is the most valuable feature for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped out our backup services requirement for retentions.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the software could help with optimizing the device. Also, the web interface needs improvement.

We have used this product for around six years, I think, possibly more.

No issues as the installer detected it quickly.

The Data Protector software service shuts down randomly sometimes.

7-8/10

it_user342660
Senior Systems Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 5, 2015
It provides us with Sharepoint item-level restore and assurances that the backup procedure is actually working. I'd like to see an updated GUI in the next release.

What other advice do I have?

Get a professional to do the initial configuration and, after that, you can continue on your own.
it_user321693
Infrastructure Coordinator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 24, 2015
It helps us with ISO 9001 statement forms, although the GUI should be made easier to administrate.

What is most valuable?

Cell manager and single drive for Windows/Linux.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us with ISO 9001 statement norms.

What needs improvement?

The GUI needs to be easier to administrate. Also, it should have better access to more materials to help understanding the product (like the different between INCR, & INCR1, etc. and how it works).

Around one year.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's excellent. Technical Support: It's excellent, but doesn't have my native language (Portuguese).

Which solution did

it_user339216
Administrador dedicado at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 22, 2015
It performs quick restores and integrates with multiple applications, but although new installations were problem-free, I found some problems with the IDB errors upgrading from v7 to v8.

What is most valuable?

The integrations with other applications, for example SQL, Oracle, and Exchange is valuable. Also, especially valuable is the granular mailbox backup.

How has it helped my organization?

It's use is intuitive Performs quick restores Integrates with multiples applications

In this company, I’ve used this product for five years, but I used this product in my last company, at an HP partner where I did a lot of installations. I've used it from v5 to v8.

In new installations I’ve never found any problems, but with the upgrade from v7 to v8, I found some problems with the IDB errors. There have also been issues with Exchange integration misconfigurations and…
it_user10158
IT Technical coordinator at a engineering company with 201-500 employees
Nov 10, 2015
A lot of customization is possible through the configuration files and script integration, although it should provide the ability to personalize the GUI by adding desired columns.

What other advice do I have?

Trust in Data Protector. It's probable that HP doesn't push it enough in marketing but the product works well. Backup View by Type Client View Restore View Sessions View Tape Slots View
it_user334893
IT Systems Administrator at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Nov 10, 2015
It's pretty stable, but when it does fail, we can quickly reset the internal database.

What is most valuable?

For us, disaster recovery is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

We do not use the product within our own organization’s backup solution.

What needs improvement?

The Disk Agent feature is pretty basic, for instance, with the included wildcards.

I've used it for more than five years.

Upgrades can lead to issues with the internal database.

Data Protector is pretty stable, but when it does fail, we can quickly reset the internal database.

JW
VirtualizationSysAdmin415
Virtualization Systems Administrator at a university with 10,001+ employees
Nov 1, 2015
It will do both physical and virtual backups, but not GRE backups.

What other advice do I have?

If you are just doing straight file system backups, this product is straightforward, but if you use any of the many features I would suggest getting help. The interface could be improved and it doesn’t have some things that other products do, but it would depend on what you need from your backups/restores and what your window is.
it_user330153
Technical System Analyst at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 1, 2015
It's allowed us to send sensitive information offsite, although it could use better documentation on how to backup the device itself through a flash drive or CD.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate your need first of all. We are a small government shop, and the needs are limited here. However, Data Protector can do much more.
it_user330159
System Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 1, 2015
We now have a common enterprise backup product across all our infrastructure and services, although Granular Recovery doesn't work as smoothly as it could.

What other advice do I have?

Plan, and call in outside help if required. Get the production evaluation mode and try it (it comes with a complete 60 day trial license). Get to know the product and plan. One other really nice feature of HP Data Protector that I haven’t mentioned up to now is Reporting. Data Protector has a whole load of built-in configurable reports, it really covers most use cases and when it doesn’t Data Protector has an extensive CLI, for when you just need that extra special something.
it_user325044
Head of IT at a engineering company
Oct 19, 2015
The initial setup wasn’t that complex because it recognized all the tapes automatically, but troubleshooting is one of the most difficult ​parts in this product.

Valuable Features

For us there are no features which we could call the most valuable. I think all components fulfill their jobs, but not one more than another.

Improvements to My Organization

I think this product doesn’t improve any processes or functions in our company.

Room for Improvement

We think troubleshooting is one of the most difficult parts in this product. It is hard to find any signs for job errors and why a job did not run successfully.

Use of Solution

We've used the Data Protector solution for more than ten years now.

At the moment, we are updating to v9 together with an HP consultant, so hopefully he can help us with our issues.

Customer Service and

it_user324942
Network admin/security at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 18, 2015
It's our choice for enterprise backup as it centralizes all our backup needs, although tech support should be organized in ascending tiers vis-a-vis customers' issues.

What other advice do I have?

If you don’t have sys admin resources to dedicate to this project, use proffessional services and ensure your support staff get knowledge after.
it_user321039
Infrastructure Supervisor at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 30, 2015
The biggest improvement to our organization is the Restore function which helps us find lost files. The GUI could use improvement.

What is most valuable?

I've used the product for a long time and am very familiar with all its features.

How has it helped my organization?

The Restore function helps us find lost files.

What needs improvement?

The operation is not so friendly for new users. The GUI could also use improvement.

I've used it for 10 years.

Yes, client install is an issue for IT guys.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 7/10. Technical Support: 9/10.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

it_user320259
CTO Infrastructure, Tehcnical Support, & Operations at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 30, 2015
It provides us with backups of both DB2 and HP-UX, yet it doesn't allow for scheduling or selecting backup options on a per-server basis.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to backup both DB2 (IBM's RDBMS) and HP-UX (HP's Unix OS).

What needs improvement?

The ability to schedule and to select backup options on a per-server basis. By comparison, Backup Exec has a nice way to select what to backup and where to backup.

I've used it for three years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 5/10. Technical Support: 5/10.

We switched because…
it_user320148
Backup Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 30, 2015
We can consolidate all our backup infrastructure requirements with one product, though you should prepare a large budget for it.

What is most valuable?

The ease-of-use.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to slowly, but surely, consolidate all the backup infrastructure requirements with one product.

What needs improvement?

Reporting functions GUI

I've used it for three months.

No issues so far.

There ave been some issues.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8.5/10.

We did, and we switched because of the usability and scalability.

How

Rami Chiha
Operational database administrator at American University of Beirut Medical Center
Sep 3, 2015
It has a wide range of compatibility and integrates with all OS's.

Valuable Features

- Fast and easy to use - Wide range of compatibility - Simple integration with all the OS - Simple GUI interface with a lot features

Improvements to My Organization

Reliable Utility that would help a lot to automate backups and recovery operations

Room for Improvement

- Find a way to protect the IDB (internal database) from corruption without the user interaction - Improve the Graphical interface look

Use of Solution

For 4 years

- Sometimes you will have problems to push the data protector client installation (Edit the hosts file on the installation server, cell manager and the client)

-a lot of Internal Data Base corruptions (sometimes it becomes serious) The user have to Backup the IDB daily and do the…
it_user98628
Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 9, 2014
Integration with RMAN is very stable, robust and provides good diagnostics features to troubleshoot backup issues.

Valuable Features:

Integration with Oracle RMAN.

Improvements to My Organization:

HP Data Protector integration with RMAN is very stable, robust and provides good diagnostics features to troubleshoot backup issues.

Use of Solution:

10+ years (since it was called Omniback)

Initial Setup:

Straight forward. We use it for all our Oracle Database and applications File servers VMWare environment [SQL Servers, business & Intranet applications etc] We had an issue during implementation of off-host LAN free backup of vSphere virtual machines using HP Data Protector. However that was mainly due to limited knowledge of the consulting company implementing the solution. After the implementation we didn’t face any issues.

Implementation

Download our free Micro Focus Data Protector Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.