Micro Focus Fortify on Demand Overview

Micro Focus Fortify on Demand is the #4 ranked solution in our list of AST tools. It is most often compared to SonarQube: Micro Focus Fortify on Demand vs SonarQube

What is Micro Focus Fortify on Demand?

Micro Focus Fortify on Demand’s application security-as-a-service is the easy and flexible way to identify vulnerabilities in your applications without additional investment in software or personnel. Allow our global team to work for you, providing support and technical expertise 24/7.

Micro Focus Fortify on Demand is also known as Fortify on Demand.

Micro Focus Fortify on Demand Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus Fortify on Demand Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Micro Focus Fortify on Demand Customers

SAP, Aaron's, British Gas, FICO, Cox Automative, Callcredit Information Group, Vital and more.

Micro Focus Fortify on Demand Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus Fortify on Demand pricing:
  • "We are still using the trial version at this point but I can already see from the trial version alone that it is a good product. For others, I would say that Fortify on Demand might look expensive at the beginning, but it is very powerful and so you shouldn't be put off by the price."
  • "Their subscriptions could use a little bit of a reworking, but I am very happy with what they're able to provide."
  • "The pricing can be improved because it is complex when compared to the competition."

DV
Senior System Analyst at Azurian
Makes it easy to discover hidden vulnerabilities in our open source libraries

What is our primary use case?

We create technology solutions for clients and on one project we were requested to use Fortify on Demand after the client had read a good report about it. They sent us the report and recommended its use. In this case, we were using Java to program the client's solution and so we used Fortify on Demand alongside our Java development operations, for the purpose of improving the application's security. The work we were doing for the client involved creating a billing system that they would use to manage payments and taxes for other companies in Chile. We've only used Fortify on Demand for this… more »

• "One of the top features is the source code review for vulnerabilities. When we look at source code, it's hard to see where areas may be weak in terms of security, and Fortify on Demand's source code review helps with that."
  • "During development, when our developer makes changes to their code, they typically use GitHub or GitLab to track those changes. However, proper integration between Fortify on Demand and GitHub and GitLab is not there yet. Improved integration would be very valuable to us."

What other advice do I have?

For us, Fortify on Demand is a good quality product that I can recommend for a few reasons, including: * Very useful source code review and vulnerability detection. * Clear and easy-to-read test results and reports. * Good integration with other platforms during development. I would rate Fortify on Demand a nine out of ten.
RC
Security Systems Analyst at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
An extremely scalable, flexible, and stable solution that reduces the overall risk and gives us assurance

What is our primary use case?

All in-house developed code or a third-party developed code on our behalf is scanned via Fortify on Demand. Any results for unsecure code, vulnerabilities, or issues are passed back to the development teams for remediation.

• "Being able to reduce risk overall is a very valuable feature for us."
  • "They have a release coming out, which is full of new features. Based on their roadmap, there's nothing that I would suggest for them to put in it that they haven't already suggested. However, I am a customer, so I always think the pricing is something that could be improved. I am working with them on that, and they're very flexible. They work with their customers and kind of tailor the product to the customer's needs. So far, I am very happy with what they're able to provide. Their subscriptions could use a little bit of a reworking, but that would be about it."

What other advice do I have?

We plan to keep using this solution. Every year, we seem to have more and more code, and they add more and more features such as third-party library assessments, etc. Open source has become a big thing as companies try and save money, but with open source comes additional risk. This solution helps us mitigate the risk of those open-source components. So, we're using this more and more as we move forward. The important part of this is automation. There are lots of automation options for this tool. Initially, trying to do it manually was a great start, but we kind of got lost a little bit along…
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus Fortify on Demand. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BK
Sr. Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good development platform integration promotes a culture of Security by design

What is our primary use case?

I have been using this solution to gain some perspective from different architectures for the security team. I do not use it every day. I do have an overview and it is integrated with our development platform. I do work for our governance team, so whenever a project is coming I will review products. I need to connect with the project managers for testing them, and these tests include the vulnerability assessment along with other security efforts. One of the things that I suggest is using Micro Focus Fortify on Demand. The primary use case is core scanning for different vulnerabilities, based… more »

• "The most valuable feature is that it connects with your development platforms, such as Microsoft Information Server and Jira."
  • "This solution would be improved if the code-quality perspective were added to it, on top of the security aspect."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to first get buy-in from the entire organization about adopting a culture of Security by design. Fortify on Demand can scan your code, but you need to have plans in place for what needs to be done when problems are identified. It may mean that things will have to change with regards to how code is being written. It may also require integration with other platforms. You can't just start scanning without first understanding what the security architecture is. You need to understand the vulnerabilities and all of the standards, as well…
Fernando Carlos
Project Manager at Everis
Great cost benefit with good stability and reduces exposure and remediation issues

What is our primary use case?

We're implementing DevSecOps in Fortify only a part of the big picture. We are implementing the entire secure development lifecycle.

• "The solution saves us a lot of money. We're trying to reduce exposure and costs related to remediation."
  • "There's a bit of a learning curve. Our development team is struggling with following the rules and following the new processes."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and we offer consulting services. We are bringing up all the infrastructure inside GCP. It's not ready yet, and we're still implementing it. We're going to bring it up next week, probably, in terms of the infrastructure. We'll perform the SSC installation, install the controller and sensors. The most important thing a company needs to do is to pay attention to the license calculation. They need to know how many licenses are going to be used. They need to understand the Micro Focus offer. That way, you won't be charged if you have surpassed the application limit. This is…
PR
Vice President - Solution Architecture at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and the reporting is good, but does not support dynamic application security testing

What is our primary use case?

We are using Fortify on Demand as a static code analyzer. As it scans each application, it checks each line of code. When we are developing mobile applications there might be some kind of security vulnerability. One example is a check to see if information that is being transferred is not encrypted because this would be vulnerable to hackers who are trying to break into the system. We also look at whether were are using the network transport layer security. Our overall goal at this time is to protect our mobile app because it is one of the ways that hackers can break into the system.

• "Fortify on Demand is easy to use and the reporting is good."
  • "The vulnerability analysis does not always provide guidelines for what the developer should do in order to correct the problem, which means that the code has to be manually inspected and understood."

What other advice do I have?

Fortify on Demand is a product that I recommend but the suitability of this solution depends on exactly what the requirements are. Every product has a unique feature as well as limitations with respect to what it can and can not do. What it comes down to is how the application is built, as well as the technology stack. The licensing costs are also something that needs to be considered. Overall, it is a very good tool and it works well for what it is designed for. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
LM
Principal Solutions Architect at a security firm with 11-50 employees
A good scanner that performs different types of scans and keeps everything in one place, but it needs more streamlined installation procedure and a bit more automation

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it for scanning their applications and evaluating their application security. It is mostly for getting the application security results in, and then they push the vulnerabilities to their development team on an issue tracker such as Jira. I usually have the latest version unless I need to support something on an older version for a client. We're not really deploying any of these solutions except for kind of testing and replicating the situations that our clients get into.

• "Its ability to perform different types of scans, keep everything in one place, and track the triage process in Fortify SSC stands out."
  • "It could have a little bit more streamlined installation procedure. Based on the things that I've done, it could also be a bit more automated. It is kind of taking a bunch of different scanners, and SSC is just kind of managing the results. The scanning doesn't really seem to be fully integrated into the SSC platform. More automation and any kind of integration in the SSC platform would definitely be good. There could be a way to initiate scans from SSC and more functionality on the server-side to initiate desk scans if it is not already available."

What other advice do I have?

It seems like a good scanner than the other ones that we support, but there are some other products such as Prisma that seem more polished and have tighter integration with different types of scanners. Whether they've acquired different scanners or build them themselves, they do seem like a cohesive product, whereas Fortify seems a little bit more like a collection of several different products. I would rate Micro Focus Fortify on Demand a seven out of ten.
ChimaUzomba
Chief Executive & Certified Security Administrator at Boch
Reseller
Good for banking and financial institutions to manage and test product lifecycles

What is our primary use case?

We recommend this product to our customers. We act as vendors and resellers. This is actually one of the solutions we often recommend to our customers most often. Usually, this is the best choice for banking and financial institutions. It is deployed by their development team in-house. They use it to manage and test product lifecycles.

• "This product is top-notch solution and the technology is the best on the market."
  • "The technical support is actually a problem that needs to be addressed. Since the acquisition and merger with Hewlett Packard, it has been really hard to know who the technical or salesperson to talk to."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Micro Focus Fortify any day for clients who are looking for a good security solution. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Micro Focus Fortify on Demand as a nine out of ten.
Mamta Jha
Co-Founder at TechScalable
A feature-rich solution for simplified designing and architecting

What is our primary use case?

We are architecting applications for e-commerce websites similar to Amazon. Everything is running on the cloud, and Micro Focus Fortify on Demand is totally integrated with our solution at this point in time.

• "Almost all the features are good. This solution has simplified designing and architecting for our solutions. We were early adopters of microservices. Their documentation is good. You don't need to put in much effort in setting it up and learning stuff from scratch and start using it. The learning curve is not too much."
  • "In terms of communication, they can integrate a few more third-party tools. It would be great if we can have more options for microservice communication. They can also improve the securability a bit more because security is one of the biggest aspects these days when you are using the cloud. Some more security features would be really helpful."

What other advice do I have?

You can choose this product for sure with a lot of confidence. It entirely depends on how you are exploring the stuff and trying to integrate it. Designing has to be good. It has all the features, but exploring the features and using it as per your need is important. It is not that features are not there. You just need to explore them and know how to use them. I would rate Micro Focus Fortify on Demand an eight out of ten. It is a good product. However, it needs improvements from the security aspect and from the aspect of integrations with other popular tools in the market.
See 6 more Micro Focus Fortify on Demand Reviews
Download our free Micro Focus Fortify on Demand Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.