Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Overview

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Load Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional: Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise vs Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional

What is Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise?

Micro Focus Performance Center is a global cross-enterprise performance testing tool which enables you to manage multiple, concurrent performance testing projects across different geographic locations without any need to travel between the locations. Performance Center administers all your internal performance testing needs. With Performance Center, you manage all aspects of large-scale performance testing projects, including resource allocation and scheduling, from a centralized location accessible through the Web. Performance Center helps streamline the testing process, reduce resource costs, and increase operating efficiency.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise is also known as Performance Center, Micro Focus Performance Center, HPE Performance Center.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Customers

Hexaware, British Sky Broadcasting, JetBlue

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JS
Architecte principal at Cimpa
User
The controller and analysis engine are a piece of cake

What is our primary use case?

Even if the protocol and API doesn't cover your need, you can always find a solution. That means you can always handle any situation with a piece of code, whatever the target application is.
Performance Tester at Tech Mahindra
Can book load generators and do IP Spoofing

What is our primary use case?

We have used Performance Center for Java and .NET applications performance testing with a user load of 2000 users.

• "We are delivering fine performance results and performance recommendations using Performance Center."
  • "IP Spoofing can be done using Performance Center."
  • "We can book load generators."
  • "More real-time monitoring should be available for the system under test."
  • "Dashboard creation should be implemented, so we can get the results in a desired format."
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
502,275 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TE at Infosys Technologies Ltd
Mostly user-friendly and usable, though tough to maintain from the infrastructure side
I use Performance Center for PC testing. It is mostly user-friendly and usable, though tough to maintain from the infrastructure side.  It is also good for reporting purposes, which would be most familiar for QC and UFT users.
QA Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

Using the ALM Performance Center resource monitors, you can monitor Windows, UNIX, SiteScope, and SNMP servers on a machine during the test run and determine why a bottleneck occurred on a particular machine. Provides the performance of load test applications and reliably on good reporting.

• "Support is nice, quick, and responsive."
  • "We implemented through the vendor, who used highly-skilled professionals."
  • "Provides the performance of load test applications and reliably on good reporting."
  • "New features have been added in latest version and need to be improved with the DevOps integration."
  • "We are expecting more flexible to use Jenkins in continuous integration going forward."
R&D Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
We easily managed to run load tests of 100K concurrent Vusers on our web application, so scalability was not an issue
Senior Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides a centralized location for testing

What is most valuable?

Probably its prime advantage, it provides a centralized location for testing.

The stability on the old versions is good. On the newer versions, I think the bleeding edge is still being worked on.

It is very scalable. No issues with scalability.

Premium support is great, but before that, when we just had general support, it was not all that great. We had issues with just trying to get support to call us back on tickets and also with the turnaround time on resolution.

It is not exactly straightforward. Their instructions were not all they could have been, but we still got…
MC
Test Management Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides testing at the integration or system level and the data to make testing decisions
Director of QA at a insurance company
Covers a number of types of applications from web to back office and mobile

What other advice do I have?

I think it's the best product out there for performance and load testing.
Performance lead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can be used in all aspects of performance testing: services, web, customized APIs

• "It's a very powerful tool."
  • "I think better or more integration with some of the monitoring tools that we're considering."

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor to work with the number one thing is does a tool do what it needs to do? Second, of course, support. Stability and the ability to scale are pretty important but I think that's grouped under the tool itself. It has to be an enterprise ready scalable tool. Regarding the vendor itself, support, being responsive, having a way to access the support that's not overly obtrusive. I don't mind doing emails or logging onto a website, just as long as it's not too convoluted. Sometimes I feel like you have to go through 20 steps to get somebody to call you back and every customer…
TS
Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
So scalable, we haven't approached any limits - just expand an army of load generators to hammer your app

• "The fact that you can have tens of thousands of virtual users and just expand an army of load generators to hammer on whatever application you're testing."
  • "I think better support for cloud-based load generators would help. For example, integrate with Amazon AWS so you can quickly spin up a load generator in the cloud, use it, spin it down."

What other advice do I have?

It does everything you could hope for in a performance testing solution. It's not cheap, but that's not necessarily a concern for us because we're a large company. But it does anything you can think of. It's a pretty mature, robust tool.
Senior qa manager at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've caught multiple bugs before production, we're able to more confidently release software

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are, I suppose, support, and the reliability in the industry. They have a good road map for moving forward. It's going to be integrating with a lot more other products that the DevOps world is starting to push upon us. It's not quite perfect. It's still the best in the market. It holds up to a lot of the scrutiny that the developers constantly throw at us. There have been a few issues, especially around the scripting and the IDEs, handling of some of the protocols, that still don't perfectly match with what we have in production. But overall…
Senior manager at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
The number of protocols it supports is a key asset for us

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor to work with are the product, how easy it is to use the product and, again, how scalable the product is and how it suits the needs of United Airlines. And, of course, the customer support, and how technical support deals. Regarding advice to a colleague, it depends on the industry and what kind of problem they are trying to solve. If it is in the airline industry, I would definitely suggest to them, "Okay, this is a perfect product because of the number of protocols it supports," because we looked at other open source software and we couldn't…
Qa manager at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Allows me to train my team on a single tool, it can handle many different types of protocols

What other advice do I have?

When looking at vendors, support is the big one. Also, ease of training people on the tool, and just the variety of technology supported. In terms of advice, I would say the biggest choice is that Performance Center really is for a very large enterprise. So I'd say evaluate if it's really what you need for the size of your organization. But if it is, it really can support pretty much any kind of technology you throw at it. Performance Center is really our go-to tool for anything that we have to test. It's just our default tool for whatever technology we have.
Senior Presales Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Enables testing a huge variety of applications, not just web-based systems but SAP, Oracle, etc.

• "You can test a huge variety of applications, not just web-based systems, but SAP, Oracle, web services, pretty much anything out in the market place, but it's mobile-based testing."
  • "Canned reports are always a challenge and a question with customers because customers want to see sexy reports."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor I would judge them on the criteria that I have myself: they've got to have experience, they've got to have done the testing on the solutions that they've worked on. I think seniority is good too, little gray hairs don't hurt anything. Regarding advice to others, invest in training. Invest in mentoring. Invest in experienced people that have done the job before. Don't go into it thinking that you're going to open the box, get it out, and it's going to be perfect. It's a complicated tool for a reason. You don't want someone operating on you who says, "Well, I read a book…
QA Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable Features: Enterprise-Level, Centralized Platform, Mobile, Cloud, CI, Advanced Reporting and Support

What is most valuable?

Enterprise-Level Centralized Platform Mobile Cloud CI Advanced Reporting Support

How has it helped my organization?

Hewlett Packard Enterprise is a recognized leader in the performance testing space, and with every new software release, it continues to solidify it's position as a front-runner and as an innovator.

What needs improvement?

More features to support testing in DevOps environment(s).

For the past six years.

No issues faced.

Customer Service: A nine out of 10.…
Lead Load and Performance Test Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
We are able to connect and run tests from different locations with this tool, although storing the results of our tests requires the use of a lot of memory in our data center.

What is most valuable?

It gives us a run history of the tests we've planned and executed.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to connect and run tests from different locations with this tool.

What needs improvement?

Storing the results of our tests requires the use of a lot of memory in our data center.

I've used it for three years.

No issues encountered.

I have mixed feelings about HP technical support. A few technicians know what they are doing, but the…
Team Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It is used for applications where we have many users.

• "With Performance Center, the version upgrade is easy. You just have to roll out the new patch or the new version."
  • "For such an experienced team as mine, who have been with the product for over ten years, sometimes working with technical support is not that easy."
IT Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It allows you to share resources, which wasn't happening with Load Runner.

• "It allows you to work out how well you are doing project-wise because you see the number of scripts done, the number of tests run, and whether you have mapped all your requirements to it."
  • "The worst thing about it is it did not have zero footprint on your PC."
Test Engineer at a transportation company with 11-50 employees
The most valuable feature is the analysis tool.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the analysis tool. It enables me to make a good, detailed analysis after a test run.

How has it helped my organization?

On a day-to-day basis, we're working very tight with developers. We use this tool to: Outline the details in our systems on the test Give feedback to our developers and they do changes Test again It's really good

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if the Citrix protocol could be updated.

Stability is pretty good. We only had a few glitches over the past few years.

It seems to be scalable. In our part of Jefferson Boeing, we are about 5000 people.

How is customer service and technical

Performance Test Lead at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It supports basic web HTTP, Citrix, Oracle, and even some Real X.

What other advice do I have?

When we selected a vendor, it was a trade-off between having the best in class and the price. It needs to be cheap and we need to get along with them. Whether I would advise colleagues to choose this solution is entirely situationally dependent. It fits our needs and our project portfolio, but that doesn't mean that it will meet everyone else's needs.
Manager Performance Engineering at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
We have Performance Center as a platform to share with others that don't do performance testing full-time.

• "We have Performance Center as a platform to share with others that don't do performance testing full-time, so that they in an agile fashion, on demand can go ahead and get real issue-finding testing done."
  • "I know there are integrations with continuous testing. It's got tie-ins to some of the newer tools to allow continuous testing. I'd love to see us not have to customize it, but for it to be out of the box."

What other advice do I have?

As professionals, we're supposed to be some what tool agnostic. We'll find a way to get it done. That said, it's a mature player in the space. We do enjoy some long time knowledge about squeezing the good stuff out of it.
Director, Service Transition and Quality Management at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
Stable in the fact that it does what it does, it does it well. When we go to upgrade and migrate, that's where there's pain.

What other advice do I have?

Have a well-defined process, have a strong reporting structure, meaning in your process you want a lot of measurability. If you define your output, the reports and the questions you need to answer from what you're doing, which your process should be managing for you. In our company, we are very specific about what our executives and stakeholders want. We have a very well-defined set of measurements that we have to take. We then put a process designed to ensure those measurements are always taken. That then allows you to deal with your outputs and your reporting structure, which then allows you…
Quality Assurance Advisor at McKesson
We are moving towards Performance Center, because it is more GUI and user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing wrong with it, but I have to learn more about it to see if it's going to match our needs. Performance Center has everything which LoadRunner offers, plus additional things.
Managed Performance Test Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
It keeps a run log and allows for script and scenario versioning, although trending reports do not always work as I would expect them to.

What other advice do I have?

Performance Center is not difficult to pick up for a beginner. When I was first introduced to Performance Center, I had just started my career as a performance test engineer. It is not completely intuitive though. I believe there are some extraneous requirements. As I mentioned before an experience administrator is recommended. The command line feature allows you to set a parameter value at the scenario level. It can be applied to all scripts in a scenario. This feature has saved me a great deal of time.
Manager, IT Product Support at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a flexible solution, including the reporting capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

During implementation, make sure you're talking about a cloud solution. You may be implementing in multiple areas, so planning is very important.
Performance Test Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The enterprise card allows us to use our central software for all our testers who are located worldwide.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very capable solution and I highly recommend it.
Senior IT Infrastructure Specialist at Nordea
It has protocols that are easy to use, such as mainframe communication, and provides the ability to schedule functionalities.

What other advice do I have?

It's an expensive tool, so you need to be prepared to invest in training your people and to have patience as they will need to use it a lot to become adept at it.
Performance Test Consultant at a government with 10,001+ employees
We can view tests at run time, which has helped us to execute tests from different time zones. However, sometimes the Book Time Slot option hangs if I cancel any test or time slot.
Senior IT Monitoring and Automation Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are able to manage and monitor our entire environment, although there are many stability issues that require day-to-day maintenance.

What is most valuable?

The main features are the ability to customize the product configuration and the customization to adapt with the customer environment. Additionally, the product flexibility, and stability are also valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to manage and monitor our entire environment. We're also able to perform capacity management, performance management, and configuration management.

I've used it for around seven years.

There are many issues that require day-to-day maintenance. The issues vary from customer to customer, and I can’t list all the issues as it becomes business as usual.

Customer…
Stress And Volume (Performance) Test Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
We're able to evaluate the applications' performance and stability, and are assured that each performs better and meets all SLAs, although integration with other APM tools is a little tedious.

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely one of the best products available on the market. Definitely programming knowledge around C programming would be greatly advantageous.
Sr. Software Test Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
With features such as live server-side performance metrics, it helps us with performance/stress testing prior to application deployment. The UI, however, needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that it is a great investment for your organization. Going forward, HP is going to implement many impressive new features in this software.
Manager, IT Quality Assurance, and Testing with 10,001+ employees
We are able to run performance tests for Asia, EU, and the US from a centralized controller. And although it's expensive, it's useful if the usage is across the globe.
Test Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provided us detailed analyses of the tests we conducted, although its enhanced support could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Even though I was a beginner, I was at ease while using this product but I believe the documentation provided alongside it could be improved. It is a great product that provides one with an extensive amount of functionality.
Application Administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
It was fairly straightforward to setup, although determining how many servers were needed to host the application took some time to suss out.
QA Lead at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
It gives us the ability to do enterprise-level load tests, although integration with third-party tools could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Integrated Infrastructure Cloud load generators Analysis

How has it helped my organization?

Enterprise-level load tests Great analysis module for results

What needs improvement?

Backend integration Performance UI improvement Integration with third-party tools

I've used it for the last seven to eight years.

Stability has some room for improvement.

It needs improvement.

We previously used a different enterprise level product.

Complex in installation with many server/mc configurations.

What about the

Performance Test Engineer/Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It gives you a wide-ranging view on performance bottlenecks, from CPU to memory to network, but I would like to see them integrate it with a mobile UI to automate scripts.

What is most valuable?

Analyzer Performance Center

How has it helped my organization?

It gives you a wide-ranging view on performance bottlenecks, from CPU to memory to network etc. This helps identify possible bottlenecks in the production environment, as well as the expected/unexpected loads.

What needs improvement?

Mobile testing - integrate it with a mobile UI to automate scripts and run it concurrently.

I've used it for five years alongside HP LoadRunner v9.0 to v11.50, and HP UFT.

No issues encountered, but an upgraded patch is required.

No issues encountered.

What do I think about the scalability of the

Portfolio Testing Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helps us to uncover critical performance-related defects. Almost all the areas improve with each version, however the correlation of scripts, analysis, and reporting can be further improved.

What other advice do I have?

It's generally for enterprise level, however they now offer a SaaS version for smaller companies or clients.
Performance Test Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We no longer need different physical machines for each control as users can log into a single instance and manage all other controllers from there.
Senior IT Service Management Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We've been able to implement it in a project designed for hundreds of thousands of users, although it should allow for more customization for recorded test loads.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to identify well the scenarios, protocols and maximum number of virtual users needed for load testing. Also, simulating a real-world load testing scenario is very important if you need to get a near-real results. For example, simulating network speed to reflect the real case. Some scenarios may require using a paid e-service, which may cost a lot when simulations repeat with a huge number of virtual users. At this point, another product called HP Service Virtualization could be used to sniff the in/out going traffic, then simulating the e-service function later after learning its…
Owner at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It integrates with Application Lifecycle Management, but the web-based interface is still a little clunky in terms of response to user input.

What other advice do I have?

HP has very masterfully re-engineered this tool and integrated it with Application Lifecycle Management to create one of the most seamless project management suites I've used in years. When simultaneously integrated with Unified Functional Testing, which also supports service testing, I feel the richness of testing information that can be managed from within a single tool (ALM) is hard to beat--despite the price tag.
Performance and Fault-tolerance Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
The web interface, which allows use by multiple users in multiple locations, is helpful as we operate from India, the UK, and the US.

Software Developer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The UI itself is very user friendly. So even though I support six different applications, I don’t have to go back and re-teach myself.

What other advice do I have?

Technical support is the most important element for us when choosing a vendor. I would say this is a very good tool as it allows small and huge applications to test with limitless size.
Director of QA at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable features such as reporting capabilities and the ability to execute tests. Initial setup was complex.

What other advice do I have?

Use professional services to assist you with the install.