Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Performance Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional: Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise vs Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional

What is Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise?

Micro Focus Performance Center is a global cross-enterprise performance testing tool which enables you to manage multiple, concurrent performance testing projects across different geographic locations without any need to travel between the locations. Performance Center administers all your internal performance testing needs. With Performance Center, you manage all aspects of large-scale performance testing projects, including resource allocation and scheduling, from a centralized location accessible through the Web. Performance Center helps streamline the testing process, reduce resource costs, and increase operating efficiency.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise is also known as Performance Center, Micro Focus Performance Center, HPE Performance Center.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Customers

Hexaware, British Sky Broadcasting, JetBlue

Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Video

Archived Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user968487
Architecte principal at Cimpa
User
The controller and analysis engine are a piece of cake

What is our primary use case?

Even if the protocol and API doesn't cover your need, you can always find a solution. That means you can always handle any situation with a piece of code, whatever the target application is.

How has it helped my organization?

For me, it's the best product for a performance team covering a large range of technologies and constraints.

What is most valuable?

The controller and analysis engine are a piece of cake, configuring the scenario and gathering results are the most important to me.

From my 15 years experience, I measure that I spend only 5% of my time to script, other tasks are more consuming: understanding the business process, making the dataset relevant and reliable with workflow (with VTS for instance which is very great), finding how and what to measure and so on.

What needs improvement?

Some features could sometimes disappear without reason. It's extremely recommended to take time to evaluates newer versions before upgrading.

More than five years.
Performance Tester at Tech Mahindra
Can book load generators and do IP Spoofing

• "We are delivering fine performance results and performance recommendations using Performance Center."
  • "IP Spoofing can be done using Performance Center."
  • "We can book load generators."
  • "More real-time monitoring should be available for the system under test."
  • "Dashboard creation should be implemented, so we can get the results in a desired format."

What is our primary use case?

We have used Performance Center for Java and .NET applications performance testing with a user load of 2000 users.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organizational performance. We are delivering fine performance results and performance recommendations using Performance Center.

What is most valuable?

• Analysis of results
  • Schedule of test
  • We can book load generators.
  • We can choose LGs based on the required configuration.
  • IP Spoofing can be done using Performance Center.

What needs improvement?

• Monitoring tools which are available in Performance Center.
  • More real-time monitoring should be available for the system under test.
  • Dashboard creation should be implemented, so we can get the results in a desired format.

Three to five years.
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user854211
TE at Infosys Technologies Ltd
Mostly user-friendly and usable, though tough to maintain from the infrastructure side
I use Performance Center for PC testing. It is mostly user-friendly and usable, though tough to maintain from the infrastructure side.  It is also good for reporting purposes, which would be most familiar for QC and UFT users.

QA Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "Support is nice, quick, and responsive."
  • "We implemented through the vendor, who used highly-skilled professionals."
  • "Provides the performance of load test applications and reliably on good reporting."
  • "New features have been added in latest version and need to be improved with the DevOps integration."
  • "We are expecting more flexible to use Jenkins in continuous integration going forward."

What is our primary use case?

Using the ALM Performance Center resource monitors, you can monitor Windows, UNIX, SiteScope, and SNMP servers on a machine during the test run and determine why a bottleneck occurred on a particular machine. Provides the performance of load test applications and reliably on good reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

It is used to empower our organisation in assisting customers, addressing their concerns, finding solutions, and providing value, thus making it possible to put customer success first, and in the process, focus on the business.

What is most valuable?

• Merging Graphs
  • Layout management
  • Measurement menu
  • The new features are nice, like cloud testing, mobile testing, continuous testing, etc.

What needs improvement?

• New features have been added in latest version and need to be improved with the DevOps integration.
  • We are expecting more flexible to use Jenkins in continuous integration going forward.

Three to five years.

No scalability issues.

Support is nice, quick, and responsive.

For a long time, we have been using HPE tools only.

It is straightforward.

We implemented through the vendor, who used highly-skilled professionals.

ROI is 200%.

It is a bit expensive when compared with other tools.

We evaluated LoadRunner.

it_user590508
R&D Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

• Test and resource scheduling
  • Test runs trending
  • Network virtualization and the new NV Insights report
  • Cloud integration
  • New Web UI
  • Jenkins integration
  • Performance Application Lifecycle

How has it helped my organization?

• It made performance testing for global teams work more natural.
  • Performance Application Lifecycle allowed us to really build our load test according to the traffic we see in production.
  • Trending shows us exactly the performance impact of our latest software changes.
  • Using Jenkins, we managed to automate our performance testing as part of the CI.

What needs improvement?

Features in the Web UI should be enhanced. We should be able to do everything from the Web UI. without ever needing to download the old ActiveX ALM UI.

Four years.

No issues.

We easily managed to run load tests of 100K concurrent Vusers on our web application, so scalability was not an issue for us.

An eight out of 10.

A seven out of 10.

I did not rate other solutions.

Pretty straightforward.

In-house.

We considerd SOASTA CloudTest.

it_user487383
Senior Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides a centralized location for testing

What is most valuable?

Probably its prime advantage, it provides a centralized location for testing.

The stability on the old versions is good. On the newer versions, I think the bleeding edge is still being worked on.

It is very scalable. No issues with scalability.

Premium support is great, but before that, when we just had general support, it was not all that great. We had issues with just trying to get support to call us back on tickets and also with the turnaround time on resolution.

What is most valuable?

Probably its prime advantage, it provides a centralized location for testing.

It is very scalable. No issues with scalability.

It is not exactly straightforward. Their instructions were not all they could have been, but we still got it installed.

MC
Test Management Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides testing at the integration or system level and the data to make testing decisions

What is most valuable?

It provides a different platform for testing in an organized fashion. One of the big things is data warehousing, data analytics, you want to get from being reactive to proactive to predictive. Those are the progressions that we want to make. It's going to be extremely difficult when you start to incorporate testing platforms, testing techniques, to tooling, into pipeline, into any of these DevOps pipelines. If we can't collect the data, if we don't really know what's going on, then it becomes very hard to make testing decisions from tooling to technique to platforms.

Performance Center innately provides you the ability to manage those assets. And it's also a different type of testing, independent of something that might be more unit based. We want to be able to test at the integration or the system level, which is a completely different approach to testing compared to a developer who may be doing something very, very low-level. Instead of changing the class.

We want to make sure that all these areas of testing are not just being done, but they're also able to be audited. Because, without access to the data, it makes it very difficult to implement solutions going forward. Whether they're new or they may be something that's up for modernization to keep up with DevOps and pipelining.

What needs improvement?

It has to be fully integrated into pipelines, it needs to be DevOps friendly. It needs to be easily digestible by management, and certainly developers. It's a developers' world, as it should be. They're the ones who create the applications and solve the problems in those applications. So it has to be positioned to be something that allows a team to make better decisions, to move through that progress I mentioned before, from reactive to proactive to predictive. Once you get the predictive you can make better decisions on how you should be teasing things, and Performance Center will have to follow the same trajectory. It has value, but the value needs to evolve and mature along with other aspects of application development.

it_user739596
Director of QA at a insurance company
Covers a number of types of applications from web to back office and mobile

What is most valuable?

It helps us to test the performance of our applications at load, and what sets it apart is the number of types of applications that it covers from web to back office, and even mobile. Makes multiple protocols available to us.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us advanced reporting. Allows us to compare performance as we make application changes, and scale to the level that we need as a large organization.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see feedback from production, to see what scenarios to run, and even better integrations into some other products such as AppDynamics.

I've been using LoadRunner for some 15 to 18 years personally, but at the company I'm at, for about six months.

Yes, I would say it is stable. We haven't had a problem with stability.

I believe it will meet our needs into the future. We heard today that you can scale up to 2,000,000 users even with the sister product, which is StormRunner. We haven't had any issues with scalability.

We use a third-party for tech support and they do a great job.

Straightforward. Very easy to do.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's the best product out there for performance and load testing.

it_user739569
Performance lead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can be used in all aspects of performance testing: services, web, customized APIs

• "It's a very powerful tool."
  • "I think better or more integration with some of the monitoring tools that we're considering."

What is most valuable?

As a tool, it's something that we can use in all aspects of performance testing, whether it's services, whether it's web, whether it's customized APIs, like Citrix. It's the tool for performance testing, and it's definitely the industry leader that I've been using for years. It's a very powerful tool.

Truthfully, I think performance is a fairly mature space now. There are not too many things popping up that we're saying, "You know, Performance Center doesn't do X, Y or Z." It's a pretty mature tool and we're happy with it.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of having one tool it is helpful in terms of training. It has really great reporting features, so not only is it a good tool to do testing with, but when it comes to helping you produce good results that you can present up, it's an all around tool that has everything that you need within it. You don't have to go to other third-party tools for reporting or for different types of testing. It's a tool that is "one size fits all".

What needs improvement?

We're looking to bring in maybe AppDynamics. I personally don't know the integrations but having good integration tools is going to help us in the future.

I think some of the reporting features could be better. I haven't seen much change in terms of that aspect of it, the report analysis piece. It's been good enough but I haven't seen as much advancement in that space, the reporting analysis.

I find it very stable. I will say that with the changes to virtual machines and things like that, It is harder now to manage. That's one of the reasons we are looking at not only using Performance Center, but also StormRunner. That gets us away from needing to scale up; doing that within Performance Center can be difficult because you have to deal with the aspects of all that infrastructure. It's not the tool itself, but it's the underlying infrastructure that you have to manage. Something like StormRunner is promising because it gets you away from that a little bit. Somebody else is taking care of that aspect of it.

It's an enterprise type tool. It scales very well. Again, it's not the product that we have issue with scaling.

We have challenges with the number of VMs that we have. The issue with scaling up is we come up against our infrastructure team that wants to limit the number of VMs. They have to manage them. The whole VM-type design seems to be a lot more VMs, and when you need to scale up, it's even more VMs. I understand the cost savings with VMs but in terms of management, if you don't have that nailed down in terms of automation and all that monitoring, it's a challenge to scale up.

I think that's where our current Performance Center implementation is probably going to remain, but if we're going to scale up, we're really looking toward something with StormRunner, where we can scale up as we need and not have to worry about the whole managing of the infrastructure, cause that's a challenge.

I have used tech support. Not recently, not in the last 12 or 18 months, but yes, I've used tech support. They're responsive. I've had good support. They get to the point. There's not a lot of hand-holding, they expect you to know what you're doing. I have no problem with that. As long as I can get the answer, get what I need and get it done, I'm happy with that.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup, it was pre-existing. We use Performance Center, but as the HPE ALM piece is managed by a separate tools group, that's a challenge because we don't have control over the whole implementation.

I've assisted with the Performance Center upgrade piece a little bit, installing it, but in general, we have a whole separate group that does it.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor to work with the number one thing is does a tool do what it needs to do? Second, of course, support. Stability and the ability to scale are pretty important but I think that's grouped under the tool itself. It has to be an enterprise ready scalable tool.

Regarding the vendor itself, support, being responsive, having a way to access the support that's not overly obtrusive. I don't mind doing emails or logging onto a website, just as long as it's not too convoluted. Sometimes I feel like you have to go through 20 steps to get somebody to call you back and every customer support or technical support has their process. As long as it's not overly going through hoops to be able to access that.

In terms of advice, you have to do the math. There are a lot of free tools or tools that you write yourself. You just have to make sure that, long term, are those things maintainable, supportable? Do you have the training? Do you have the support? You have to bake all that in before you make a decision. It's not to say those other tools aren't valid, and people do a lot with them but, for example, if the tool needs programming skills, do you have those skills? Do you have a team with those skills? And how much is it going to cost to keep, hire, or maintain your staff with those tools? So you have to do the math to make that kind of decision, what the right tool is.

I think the tool does what it really needs to do and I've never had an issue with their support. I think they're definitely the industry leading product for performance.

TS
Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
So scalable, we haven't approached any limits - just expand an army of load generators to hammer your app

• "The fact that you can have tens of thousands of virtual users and just expand an army of load generators to hammer on whatever application you're testing."
  • "I think better support for cloud-based load generators would help. For example, integrate with Amazon AWS so you can quickly spin up a load generator in the cloud, use it, spin it down."

What is most valuable?

The fact that you can have tens of thousands of virtual users and just expand an army of load generators to hammer on whatever application you're testing. It seems to be so scalable, and we haven't approached any limits. We have some projects that have over 100 load generators and they don't have many issues using the tool.

What needs improvement?

I think better support for cloud-based load generators would help. For example, integrate with Amazon AWS so you can quickly spin up a load generator in the cloud, use it, spin it down. That way, you're only paying for the actual time that it's being used. I know they have some functionality with that right now, but it could be improved because right now, our projects have to bare the cost of that infrastructure, whether it's an AWS or whether it's their own VMs, so that would help out with that.

Personally, I've been using LoadRunner or Performance Center for almost 10 years. But our deployed solution, that's available to projects, has only been deployed for about two and a half years.

I think Performance Center is pretty stable. It's the enterprise version of LoadRunner, which was a very mature tool. In fact, a lot of the components or installation files are still the exactly same. They've added this central, enterprise web front end to it that works pretty well. It's compatible on multiple browsers, on ALM. I would say it's a pretty mature, stable product.

More people seem to know how to use Performance Center, so we don't need as much help with it, but it is a more complicated product. HPE, or Micro Focus, has been responsive.

This is complex. We are hosting some of the components in the Deloitte network. The clients or the projects have to set up their own load generators. You have to configure firewall rules. We have to install these agents and point them at our environment to connect and troubleshoot connectivity issues. And every client has a different need. If you're behind a VPN - the app that you're testing - or it's inside the client network, that introduces some challenges. Just by the nature of the tool and what you're doing, it is complex.

What other advice do I have?

It does everything you could hope for in a performance testing solution. It's not cheap, but that's not necessarily a concern for us because we're a large company. But it does anything you can think of. It's a pretty mature, robust tool.

it_user739572
Senior qa manager at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've caught multiple bugs before production, we're able to more confidently release software

What is most valuable?

Performance of load test applications, reliably, and with good reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

We have high confidence that the results are reliable. It's helped catch multiple bugs before they've gone to production. And we're able to more confidently release software into production, just more confidently release code.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see better reporting, ultimately, and analysis. I'd like to see the analysis more accurately pin-point where these issues are; a little more feedback immediately in terms of the anomalies that we're seeing during the testing, so we can get alerted much quicker, instead of blowing a whole bunch of our day to test data during a test.

The reporting could be a lot better. It's cumbersome. The VuGen takes a long time to load up, and edit and execute things off those. So a lot of the basic infrastructure.

We've had a few crashes, but overall they seem to be more of the aging architecture, the hardware's not as reliable. A few software bugs in there, which we have to work around. But overall, it's been pretty reliable when you think about how much load goes through it and the number of people using it.

We've scaled it up to, well, to our limits at least. A good 1500 users and some 10 million transactions, or something like, that per hour. It's generally handled that pretty well. We're looking forward to moving into StormRunner next.

The tech support seems to be pretty good. There have been a few problems that they haven't resolved, but they've led me in the right direction to eventually figure it out on my own. It's very difficult for them to understand all the wide range of applications we use. So I'm really impressed with how ultimately knowledgeable they are, given that they don't actually use all these applications that are out there.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup but I've been involved in all the upgrades. They've done it multiple times. Each upgrade seems to be adding a lot more features. It seems like the pace of development has picked up in the last couple years especially, and we've been impressed with the direction that the product's going.

The upgrades actually were fairly complex for my team. The last one, they were actually giving up for a while. It turned out that there were some database versions that were incompatible. Eventually, once we were able to get connected with the support, we were able to get most of it worked out.

There was a big upgrade with the 12.5 version that was a little slower. But everything else has been very smooth since then. Still, it's difficult. Everybody's come to count on that software being at a certain version.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are, I suppose, support, and the reliability in the industry.

They have a good road map for moving forward. It's going to be integrating with a lot more other products that the DevOps world is starting to push upon us.

It's not quite perfect. It's still the best in the market. It holds up to a lot of the scrutiny that the developers constantly throw at us.

There have been a few issues, especially around the scripting and the IDEs, handling of some of the protocols, that still don't perfectly match with what we have in production. But overall, we're able to pretty well defend it. You can almost always reliably pull up the application, and the response times seem to match what we have coming out of LoadRunner.

I would definitely advise looking at Performance Center, it's still the best in the breed. Just make sure that you have a good team in place that can implement it.

it_user739533
Senior manager at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
The number of protocols it supports is a key asset for us

What is most valuable?

One of the things in the airline business, we see that our number of users varies on a day to day basis, from season to season. So, from an airline business standpoint, we are looking at scalability as one the major things and how can we adapt the solution in an agile fashion. If we want to ramp up the "Our Views" account, from, let's say 10,000 to 50,000, how can we do that? That kind of scalability is the main key thing we are looking at.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the key things we use is simulating the actual user experience on the log. We have a huge set of applications from front end to the back end systems. How do we integrate all these systems and how do we simulate the real time user behavior? That's where we see a key value.

What needs improvement?

One of the things we were looking for is more of a DevOps support, like BlazeMeter has. It would be an ideal scenario to incorporate those kinds of features. I know there are some open software products which have that but it would be ideal to see those features in the product.

As of now, it's working great for us, it's excellent. We don't have any issues. That's one of the reasons we are pushing forward to version 12, to incorporate the other protocols, which version 12 comes up with.

We are at version 11.5 and we are in the process of upgrading it to version 12. We are pretty happy with the solution we have.

We do have a dedicated team. They work with our tech support and with their tech support in terms of the installations and stability of the product and usability. All those issues, they take it up with tech support.

Tech support is pretty excellent. We are getting pretty good responses back from tech support and, as of now, we are happy. We do have a contact too, from the United Airlines side too so I'm pretty happy with that.

Ours is more of a historical basis. We were on version 9, we moved to version 11, and we are right now at version 12. It's more for historical reasons rather that an impulse buy.

I didn't work on the installation of 11.5, but right now I'm working on version 12.

Internally, we have a lot of planning to do on our side, like a database upgrade, LGs, all that stuff but we are coordinating that with HPE and Micro Focus and making sure that our timelines and their timelines match. And we do have upgrade licenses, which should be pretty good to go.

I would say the relations between us and Micro Focus is straightforward because all we are looking at is basically license upgrades. On our side, it's more complex because we have to internally work with various teams to coordinate all this activity.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor to work with are the product, how easy it is to use the product and, again, how scalable the product is and how it suits the needs of United Airlines. And, of course, the customer support, and how technical support deals.

Regarding advice to a colleague, it depends on the industry and what kind of problem they are trying to solve. If it is in the airline industry, I would definitely suggest to them, "Okay, this is a perfect product because of the number of protocols it supports," because we looked at other open source software and we couldn't find a product which matches Performance Center, which supports so many protocols. So, especially in the airline industry, we are using multiple protocols and we need that support. I would definitely recommend that.

it_user603504
Qa manager at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Allows me to train my team on a single tool, it can handle many different types of protocols

What is most valuable?

For me, it's the fact that I can train my team on a single tool. It really is kind of our Swiss Army Knife in that it can handle so many different types of protocols and technologies, and I don't have to train my team on multiple tools to handle each of those.

How has it helped my organization?

It's really given us a lot of insight into, especially as we've moved into DevOps now, incorporating that into our CI lifecycle. We can start the performance testing earlier on, carry the same results through, and have it as part of our release cycle.

What needs improvement?

Mobility, I think, is the biggest for us right now. We're really getting into mobile app testing, native mobile app testing, so native Android and IOS devices.

As far as scalability goes, we're able to spin up load generators to handle an incredible size of load, so really we're just limited by the amount of hardware that we can spin up for it.

We use a third-party partner to do tech support and it's been fantastic with them.

We have, ourselves, gotten to Mircro Focus on a couple of issues that have been actually escalated all the way up to the team back in Israel, I think that's where they're located.

That was fantastic. We actually had them, they came out on site with us, some of the developers for Performance Center, and talked to us about some of the ways that we were using it. Some of the features that they thought customers no longer needed that we were actually telling them were still valuable to us, and they wound up bringing back a few features that were on the chopping block.

I wasn't directly involved in the decision to invest in Performance Center because we'd been using it since it was LoadRunner, and I've been using it for pretty close to 20 years now. So that was before my time.

I was involved in it. I'd say it was fairly straightforward for us because we used our support partner to help us out, guide us through some of the pitfalls of the initial setup. But he gave us a two-week timeframe that he said we'd be able to get it set up in, and we easily had it set up within a week.

What other advice do I have?

When looking at vendors, support is the big one. Also, ease of training people on the tool, and just the variety of technology supported.

In terms of advice, I would say the biggest choice is that Performance Center really is for a very large enterprise. So I'd say evaluate if it's really what you need for the size of your organization. But if it is, it really can support pretty much any kind of technology you throw at it.

Performance Center is really our go-to tool for anything that we have to test. It's just our default tool for whatever technology we have.

it_user739554
Senior Presales Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Enables testing a huge variety of applications, not just web-based systems but SAP, Oracle, etc.

• "You can test a huge variety of applications, not just web-based systems, but SAP, Oracle, web services, pretty much anything out in the market place, but it's mobile-based testing."
  • "Canned reports are always a challenge and a question with customers because customers want to see sexy reports."

What is most valuable?

High scalability. Web-based testing. The interface. If you're familiar with the days of using LoadRunner, when you had to have the 32-bit client, using a web-based client is fantastic. You can spin it up relatively quickly despite the fact that it's enterprise software. You can test a huge variety of applications, not just web-based systems, but SAP, Oracle, web services, pretty much anything out in the market place, but it's mobile-based testing.

How has it helped my organization?

In my current organization, I honestly don't know so much. But in my previous organization, when I was doing consulting, we helped huge amounts of customers prepare not to fail under scale. So whether you have a large amount of base driven things like Super Bowl, or a major sale, release of a new product like Samsung S8, iPhone 7, etc. Basically when you get a huge push.

What needs improvement?

Canned reports are always a challenge and a question with customers because customers want to see sexy reports. They want to be able to show something to the CIO. So I think the dashboards are one of the features I'd like to see most.

I think it's more of getting into the world where you've got tableau and dashboarding. I think that reporting needs to be a little bit more fancy, as people expect the sexier reporting. They don't expect just to have, "I ran a test. The test ran for this long." I think the consumer's expectations for what reporting looks like have changed a lot. You do an Excel report or a Word report versus, "No, it needs to be a very pretty dashboard."

The product itself, I think it's pretty good. I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

It's great. I don't have a problem with stability at all, as long as you have it scaled properly and you have sufficient hardware in place. If you're running it all on a VM, you're going to have a problem, but if you run it with the proper infrastructure, it's a very solid product.

The nature of Performance Center is scalable, so you have the application server and then, when you need to have more generators to generate more load, you spin those up pretty quickly. You can use cloud-based generators as well, so that's a huge plus.

It's been a long time since I needed to use tech support. Normally, as a consultant, I am the tech support, so I don't typically have to use tech support. But when I have, I normally am able to get quickly to either R&D-level or a level-two support because it's a real problem with the product, not necessarily just, "I can't figure this out."

I help customers with this process all the time. I'm usually advising them on what, why, when, what the feature benefits are.

Unfortunately, as is human nature, customers decide that they need Performance Center because they've had a disaster. Hopefully not a horrible disaster, but they've had some kind of case where they released a product and it didn't scale. They didn't plan for their own success. A classic example is HealthCare.gov. Politics aside, when you've got the entire American population ready to enroll for healthcare and it tanks, it's a very bad experience for everyone. And that's not an uncommon occurrence across the board.

So then they realize, "Oh, well, we better do performance testing," and then they realize they didn't plan for that in the project lifecycle, so now they need to come and talk to Micro Focus about standing that up, or to talk to a partner at Micro Focus about how to do that for them.

There was a reason, for the longest time, that it had one of the largest market shares of any type of solution in the world, and now that Micro Focus has Silk and the LoadRunner/Performance Center product, they've got that market cornered.

I have set up many, many instances of Performance Center. Recently, it's much more straightforward. A long time ago it was very complex. But it's pretty straightforward. You set up the application center, you set up your generators, you set up your controllers, database.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor I would judge them on the criteria that I have myself: they've got to have experience, they've got to have done the testing on the solutions that they've worked on. I think seniority is good too, little gray hairs don't hurt anything.

Regarding advice to others, invest in training. Invest in mentoring. Invest in experienced people that have done the job before. Don't go into it thinking that you're going to open the box, get it out, and it's going to be perfect. It's a complicated tool for a reason. You don't want someone operating on you who says, "Well, I read a book on brain surgery." It's complicated for a reason.

QA Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable Features: Enterprise-Level, Centralized Platform, Mobile, Cloud, CI, Advanced Reporting and Support

What is most valuable?

Enterprise-Level Centralized Platform Mobile Cloud CI Advanced Reporting Support

How has it helped my organization?

Hewlett Packard Enterprise is a recognized leader in the performance testing space, and with every new software release, it continues to solidify it's position as a front-runner and as an innovator.

What needs improvement?

More features to support testing in DevOps environment(s).

For the past six years.

No issues faced.

Customer Service: A nine out of 10.…

What is most valuable?

• Enterprise-Level
  • Centralized Platform
  • Mobile
  • Cloud
  • CI
  • Advanced Reporting
  • Support

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

More features to support testing in DevOps environment(s).

For the past six years.

No issues faced.

A nine out of 10.

An eight out of 10.

No, I have been using it for the past six years.

it_user336363
Lead Load and Performance Test Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
We are able to connect and run tests from different locations with this tool, although storing the results of our tests requires the use of a lot of memory in our data center.

What is most valuable?

It gives us a run history of the tests we've planned and executed.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to connect and run tests from different locations with this tool.

What needs improvement?

Storing the results of our tests requires the use of a lot of memory in our data center.

I've used it for three years.

No issues encountered.

What is most valuable?

It gives us a run history of the tests we've planned and executed.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to connect and run tests from different locations with this tool.

What needs improvement?

I've used it for three years.

No issues encountered.

I have mixed feelings about HP technical support. A few technicians know what they are doing, but the majority don’t.

No previous solution was used.

We implemented it with our in-house, but we used the help desk during the entire process of implementation. Their help desk needs to know more about their own tools.

No other options were looked at.

What other advice do I have?

I like the tool.

it_user671403
Team Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It is used for applications where we have many users.

• "With Performance Center, the version upgrade is easy. You just have to roll out the new patch or the new version."
  • "For such an experienced team as mine, who have been with the product for over ten years, sometimes working with technical support is not that easy."

What is most valuable?

Performance Center, in our company, is used for important applications where we have a lot of users, or special needs for performance that are important.

We have a central team that implements the scripts and executes the tests. It depends on the years of experience of the users. The investment goes down, then we have more issues. Then money is spent and then investment goes up. So it is a curve. Everything is going up, as it is in ALM. ALM is still a growing market.

What needs improvement?

With Performance Center, the version upgrade is easy. You just have to roll out the new patch or the new version. It is much easier. I'm not really the right person to say, because I run the environment. We have a specialized team that does development.

I’ve been using Performance Center since 2007.

Performance Center is more stable than ALM. We roll out a version, and I think it fits for our clients. If it is a very early version, then we have to implement a patch. Afterwards, it is quiet, hopefully, for at least one or two years.

For Performance Center, you have to add additional load generators, and then you can do more. I think it is a matter of the price, in terms of how many machines you can buy.

For such an experienced team as mine, who have been with the product for over ten years, sometimes working with technical support is not that easy. Support does not have our knowledge. It takes a while to train them in what our issues are and we have to connect to second or third level support.

The collaboration between us and HPE, especially over the past ten years, has been very good. This is the most important thing when looking at a vendor. For that reason, I try to bring in more HPE products, if needed.

it_user671391
IT Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It allows you to share resources, which wasn't happening with Load Runner.

• "It allows you to work out how well you are doing project-wise because you see the number of scripts done, the number of tests run, and whether you have mapped all your requirements to it."
  • "The worst thing about it is it did not have zero footprint on your PC."

What is most valuable?

ALM centralizes everything. It allows you to work out how well you are doing project-wise because you see the number of scripts done, the number of tests run, and whether you have mapped all your requirements to it. You can produce metrics there fairly easily for your line management and higher. So, overall, it is better than people using Excel spreadsheets.

Performance Center is good because it allows you to share resources, which wasn't happening with Load Runner. With Load Runner, everyone was very specific. I've just got these controllers and their mine and I might only be using them five percent of the time but I need them tomorrow. And I can’t allow anyone else to use them because it will disrupt my schedule.

With Performance Center, you start to get into position where people can say, "I need to run a test, how many assets are available? When can I plan to do it?"
It also provides discipline because you stop getting people saying, "We're ready to do performance testing," because they've got to schedule the test. They've got to use that period when they've scheduled it. If they don't we pull it back and somebody else can use it. You get a lot of people screaming they've lost their slot but what you've proven to them is that they're not ready for performance testing.

It's very good from that point of view. It focuses people's minds on actually using their time effectively.

I have been using ALM for eleven years. I used it when it was version 9.2 and continued with a lot of versions, all the way through.

We picked up Performance Center when we started introducing Load Runner. We kept that together until we realized we were had too many instances and it would be better strategically to go with Performance Center. I have been using it for ten years.

HPE Quality Center ALM is stable. It obviously has not got the attractiveness of Octane. As going forward, Octane probably does now take it to the next step.

The one thing I always said about ALM, and I'll say this to everybody. The worst thing about it is it did not have zero footprint on your PC. The amount of effort and the cost to upgrade to the next version, the amount of problems that it gave us in terms of trying to put a patch on, because it was particularly essential, was really bad for the business.

We had many different PC models out there on people's desks, so it wasn't just a case of patching or building a new MSI package for one PC. You had to do it for a whole range and then you had to deploy them at exactly the same time or somebody would find that they couldn't use Quality Center.

Octane, now being zero footprint, is probably going to be one of the biggest cost savings I see.

Performance Center seems to be stable. It's probably being utilized far more readily than, say, even Unified Functional Testing.
There are issues with it that mostly seem to be environmental. You'd be surprised how many people think they know about how to do performance testing and then they start using a server that's in one area of the UK to try and run a performance test on servers in another country.

I’m thinking, “why are you running such a transaction load across our network.” Whereas, they should really be in the local area. So, with Performance Center, most of the issues are more user-based. Technically, it seems to meet the task that you need it to do.

Without a doubt, both Performance Center and ALM are very scalable.

Sometimes support is good. Sometimes it's not so good. Sometimes you hit an issue and trying to get across the message of what the issue is, and then trying to get an answer back, can be a bit of a challenge sometimes. You hit an issue that everybody else has hit and it has a solution, then you get the response back. But in the majority of cases, the people that are on the case for you tend to do their best to try and answer what you've given them.

Adaptability is what I look for in a vendor. It tends to pull the others in. A good contact, ready to listen, to really know how to deliver what you want. Someone who can listen to what your problem is or what your challenge is that you need the tool to resolve. And if you're willing to adapt to that, then the tool might not be 100%, but it might make it's way there. If you're fixed in your ways, and say, "this is what our tool does, this is all that it's going to do," then to be honest, why continue?

The biggest issue is that ALM is a thick client and you can't patch it, because you've got hundreds and hundreds of PCs. Several different standards are on people's PCs. You can’t do it. You leave it until there's a big release and then you take a massive program to deliver it. Get rid of that thick client bit and you could patch on the server and it could be up and running the next day. Which is the neat bit about Octane.

The setup of Performance Center seems fairly reasonable. No real shakes about it. Obviously, you've got to have VuGen on the PC. It tends to have to be a meaty PC, but then you are running performance tests. My biggest challenge with Performance Center is having people who claim to do performance testing or know how do to performance testing and they're still wet behind the ears.
A good performance tester needs to have a good 18 months experience with them. They need to have done things with Performance Center. Delivered projects. They need to use SiteScope. They need to use analysis tools on that network. They need to know how to get the best value out of the tool. Somebody who's just come for the first time has probably done a week or two-week training course and says, "I know how to performance test."
They get results back and say, "We ran it for a 100 users and it failed." Well, okay, where did it fail? Where's the analysis that helps us fix the problem? And we didn't get that, which they would have done if they'd known to implement the additional bits like SiteScope against it.

So, with Performance Center, it's a skill issue for the people that are using it. Again, one of my guys says, “I’d like to see people be able to grade themselves in Performance Center or even in performance testing, "I'm at a Bronze level. I'm at a Silver level. I'm at a Gold level." Then you know how effective that person is going to be.

it_user671385
Test Engineer at a transportation company with 11-50 employees
The most valuable feature is the analysis tool.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the analysis tool. It enables me to make a good, detailed analysis after a test run.

How has it helped my organization?

On a day-to-day basis, we're working very tight with developers. We use this tool to: Outline the details in our systems on the test Give feedback to our developers and they do changes Test again It's really good

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if the Citrix protocol could be updated.

Stability is pretty good. We only had a few glitches over the past few years.

It seems to be scalable. In our part of Jefferson Boeing, we are about 5000 people.

How is customer service and technical

How has it helped my organization?

• Outline the details in our systems on the test
  • Give feedback to our developers and they do changes
  • Test again

It's really good

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if the Citrix protocol could be updated.

Stability is pretty good. We only had a few glitches over the past few years.

I haven’t needed to use technical support.

I was not involved in the initial setup and I have no idea how it went. We're not allowed to fiddle around with installations.

it_user366069
Performance Test Lead at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It supports basic web HTTP, Citrix, Oracle, and even some Real X.

What is most valuable?

It supports an extensive portfolio of protocols. It supports everything from the very basic web HTTP, which is kind of the bread and butter of load performance testing tools, to Citrix, Oracle, and even some Real X, and others. The breadth of the product is very valuable.

It is a very powerful tool. They pitch it as the market leader and it kind of is. It's that big “one-tool-fits-all” kind of option. You don't need to go and get several tools, each of which supports an individual kind of protocol. You can do pretty much everything on the entire stack with one tool. That makes it good.

How has it helped my organization?

It centralized our ability to offer a performance engineering service. We’ve been up as a one-stop shop for projects and programs to come in. We know what tools we’re going to use. Rather than custom fitting something for each project, we can say, “This is what we're going to recommend."

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a more shared data repository. They have their costs up. I think they could expand it out a bit more so we could have it running across synthetic users and protocol types.

The stability is very good. A couple years ago, you might have been able to point a finger at HPE and say maybe they weren't doing enough with the product; so it was probably unstable. As it is, over the last couple of years, they've innovated a bit more. There's been a bit more change without losing the core stability.

The scalability is good. We got Performance Center, which is kind of the enterprise version of LoadRunner. That solved a number of pinch points for us by enabling us to run multiple performance engineering programs at once; so that is really good.

Technical support is really good. I’ve had stuff bounced around the world to have problems solved.

We were previously using LoadRunner and we moved to Performance Center. Under the covers, they are very much the same, but Performance Center just has a lot more flexibility from a licensing perspective and from a setup and management perspective. It was kind of a natural evolution.

The initial setup was really reasonably straightforward. We pretty much just followed the installation guide.

We also considered Microsoft. We chose HPE because of its breadth of capability.

What other advice do I have?

When we selected a vendor, it was a trade-off between having the best in class and the price. It needs to be cheap and we need to get along with them.

Whether I would advise colleagues to choose this solution is entirely situationally dependent. It fits our needs and our project portfolio, but that doesn't mean that it will meet everyone else's needs.

Manager Performance Engineering at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
We have Performance Center as a platform to share with others that don't do performance testing full-time.

• "We have Performance Center as a platform to share with others that don't do performance testing full-time, so that they in an agile fashion, on demand can go ahead and get real issue-finding testing done."
  • "I know there are integrations with continuous testing. It's got tie-ins to some of the newer tools to allow continuous testing. I'd love to see us not have to customize it, but for it to be out of the box."

What is most valuable?

What I really like is our team's core competence in building good tests that really do find issues, because of our full-time dedication to it. We have Performance Center as a platform to share with others that don't do performance testing full-time, so that they in an agile fashion, on demand can go ahead and get real issue-finding testing done; then to go ahead and have that pulled into trending reports so that even subtle differences or trends over time are found and not just game-changing defects. Again, it's a platform to get expert level things done for the masses.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to on the reporting end show how even though we don't have a smoking gun on this release, and it made everything so terrible that we've got real quality issues, we know when it started and that it's only getting worse. When you're tracking many subtle interactions, this is helpful.

What needs improvement?

I have some concern over its foundation for utilizing cloud testing hosts in the most integrated fashion. For example there is reliance in AWS to utilize default VPC, and also there is not deep knowledge about utilizing *nix hosts though they are supported.

I have used this solution at four different places starting 13 years ago.

It's good. It's been around a long time and we've been using it a long time. It's stable.

We're up to 60,000 users. It's got a good system for being able to take a vast amount of data that you haven't put into a particular report and chug through it. It could take a while, but it's stable at that.

It comes up periodically; typically when we're doing something we haven't done before. We actually have a combination of support through them and one of their value added re-sellers, AVNET. We actually get level one support through them, so it's a partnered supported arrangement.

Typically AVNET can handle anything unless it's truly about requesting a new feature or enhancement. You need to get back to the product management and developers to request such things.

It has many tiers, it's not a single system thing. You definitely have to take the time to architect it correctly, to have a full topology. I've done it a few times.

What other advice do I have?

As professionals, we're supposed to be some what tool agnostic. We'll find a way to get it done. That said, it's a mature player in the space. We do enjoy some long time knowledge about squeezing the good stuff out of it.

it_user484959
Director, Service Transition and Quality Management at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
Stable in the fact that it does what it does, it does it well. When we go to upgrade and migrate, that's where there's pain.

What is most valuable?

Performance Center is actually run by a performance engineering group so in every release you have a performance engineering phase that runs at the same time as UAT. That's pretty much used to ensure that we're going to hit our production stability, scalability, etc., when a product finally goes in.

That is used in a phase gate, it's not continually run. That's one of the things we're eventually going to get to, that you continually run it.

Our performance engineering team has feedback on Performance Center, so they don't utilize as many of the features as they should. They have it, part of it could be training, but they're not using it as much as they should. They use it, but they're not taking full advantage of all the features in it, meaning they are not combining it with UFT, etc.

They just run it to run the virtual users and then load and stress test, and that's pretty much what they're doing. They're not really taking advantage of the whole stack like we do. That's another group as well.

Stable in the fact that it does what it does, it does it well. Why they use other tools, that's where I would say there's some poly-functionality that has to be improved in the product. I'd have to specifically interrogate them on what they're not getting out of it. It's stable, it's up, and it runs, but if you want to look at is it as highly leveraged as it could be, it's not so much.

We're already at enterprise scale, so it's used across the enterprise. I would say that we're at that point.

Originally we were using LoadRunner, and then we had to upgrade to Performance Center because with LoadRunner we didn't maintain currency with the license. That's another group that manages that. They just kind of were using it as it is. Then when we upgraded to version 11, we had compatibility issues and we had to go to Performance Center. I think they just didn't get used to it. I don't know exactly what they are or are not using in that stack, but part of it is we were forced to upgrade.

I have an entire team, so I'm a director and I have an entire tools team that does that. I did get involved in the planning and the strategy of how we're going to do it. My team said that first installation is relatively easy. When we go to upgrade and migrate, that's where there's pain.

We have to use other products like Selenium and a lot of custom scripting, et cetera, but that's the nature of the business. That ends up happening everywhere.

What other advice do I have?

Have a well-defined process, have a strong reporting structure, meaning in your process you want a lot of measurability. If you define your output, the reports and the questions you need to answer from what you're doing, which your process should be managing for you. In our company, we are very specific about what our executives and stakeholders want.

We have a very well-defined set of measurements that we have to take. We then put a process designed to ensure those measurements are always taken. That then allows you to deal with your outputs and your reporting structure, which then allows you to properly architect your tooling. The technology is very flexible. You have to decide as a client area how you really want to use it and that's going to start with what your business needs are the values that you're trying to get out of it.

That's the biggest advice that I have, it's not even on the technology. The technology will do great things for you if you have a plan and a structure and you know what you want it to do for you. Half the time they don't know, they want the tool to do it for them and it's the other way around. So that's what I advise people to do.

Think about it, have a vision, have a plan, tie that to outcomes, and measure those outcomes. If you're answering the right questions and asking the right questions, your technology will really enable you. You've got to look at it from that standpoint.

it_user470412
Quality Assurance Advisor at McKesson
We are moving towards Performance Center, because it is more GUI and user-friendly.

What is most valuable?

We still have a legacy LoadRunner, but we are moving towards this tool. For our web applications, we are moving towards Performance Center, because it is more GUI and user-friendly, and with all the latest technologies. It's pretty easy to learn how to use.

What needs improvement?

I don't know if it is available or it depends on the licenses, but reports from Performance Center need to be improved. If we can improve the reporting structure and we can view the report on a smartphone, that would be huge.

We always have to get connected if there is a report. It's doesn't need to be the full tool, but just like how HPE Discover has an app, if we can have an app just for reports, that would help.

I've been using it for about six to eight months.

We are still learning and evaluating it.

All of our applications are not yet on Performance Center.

It was even before I joined. We were using LoadRunner. LoadRunner is a leading load testing tool in the market. Whenever a customer or anyone looks for a tool, the first thing which comes to mind is HP. We have seen StormRunner and we are here at HPE Discover 2016 to check out tools. We will see how they scale, and probably will make a decision soon.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing wrong with it, but I have to learn more about it to see if it's going to match our needs. Performance Center has everything which LoadRunner offers, plus additional things.

it_user343314
Managed Performance Test Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
It keeps a run log and allows for script and scenario versioning, although trending reports do not always work as I would expect them to.

What is most valuable?

Performance Center allows multiple users to access and work on a project simultaneously.

Additionally, it keeps a run log and allows for script and scenario versioning.

I also like the scheduling feature that allows us to manage multiple projects using the same controller and load generators.

How has it helped my organization?

I am a performance tester, and I need a product that can maintain my scripts, scenarios, monitors and run logs. Performance Center is my product of choice.

Just recently, I used the command line feature to create scripts that can be used across multiple environments. That feature saved me a great deal of time --thousands in man hours over the last year.

What needs improvement?

The trending reports do not always work as I would expect them to. I have had issues with transaction times being pulled in correctly.

Additionally, trending a test run can take over 30 minutes when it should take five.

I've used it for five years.

Performance Center requires regular maintenance in order to remain stabl

The company I work for provides Performance Center support.  Orasi has won several awards for their HP support.  I use Orasi support when ever I require customer service for an HP product.  I have never had an opportunity to use HP customer service.

I have had the opportunity to use two other products briefly. Unfortunately, I did not have enough experience to speak to this with any authority.

I was not involved in the deployment of any of the instances of Performance Center that I have used. However, I have been involved in three different upgrades for three different clients.

When Performance Center is managed properly with proper maintenance, there were no issues with upgrades. I have seen instances of script corruption, user access difficulties and project corruption.

It is necessary to have an experienced Performance Center administrator providing regular maintenance.

Orasi Software does Performance Center implementation. I am not a member of that team. I have been on projects where Performance Center was implemented by the client and then Orasi was called to correct any issues.

Again, I cannot stress enough how important it is to have an experienced administrator. It may cost more initially but it will save time and money later.

The return on investment is immeasurable. One of my first clients was an entertainment company that called us after their production site had gone down for a day. The reservation system was down for over six hours. They estimated they had lost in excess of three million dollars an hour.

Regular performance testing prevents such occurrences. Needless to say they have not been down since.

The price tag on Performance Center is a large one. It can be daunting. There are so many options now with Cloud Controllers, using Cloud Load Generators, purchasing VUser licenses by the day or even hour. Additionally, Performance Center in the cloud relieves you of the essential maintenance and administration requirements.

I was trained on HP LoadRunner and then Performance Center.  I was not involved in any evaluation process.

What other advice do I have?

Performance Center is not difficult to pick up for a beginner. When I was first introduced to Performance Center, I had just started my career as a performance test engineer. It is not completely intuitive though. I believe there are some extraneous requirements. As I mentioned before an experience administrator is recommended.

The command line feature allows you to set a parameter value at the scenario level. It can be applied to all scripts in a scenario. This feature has saved me a great deal of time.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Orasi Software is an HP Partner. Orasi software sells HP software solutions, supports all products we sell and provides installation, upgrade, training, mentoring and consultants to use the products we sell. Additionally all of our consultants are well versed in non HP software solutions.
it_user398358
Manager, IT Product Support at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a flexible solution, including the reporting capabilities.

Valuable Features

It's the most flexible and best solution for our people who are both offshore and onshore because of the reporting capabilities. When we hire new employees, we look for people who have used this tool for testing experience.

Improvements to My Organization

It's allowed us to really focus on load testing and to get some results that we've reported to our business managers.

Another thing we really like is that it takes advantage of our monitoring tools when we're performance testing. They work well together.

Room for Improvement

The migration from LoadRunner to Performance Center was not as smooth as I would have liked. Some of it was not the tool but us, but it still could have been smoother and taken a little bit less time.

Use of Solution

We started off with LoadRunner and we've been using that for probably a year, and then we just recently converted over to the Performance Center, which is their staff solution, in the last year.

We've had no issues with deployment, other than the initial migration.

It's stable now.

For situations in which we've had to scale up a little bit, they've been there to help us. We didn't have any trouble scaling.

I have not been as impressed as with their other products. They do respond, they do have the knowledge to do this but it hasn't been the same as what I've seen with other products. A little more challenging.

We were challenged in out setup, making it more complex, because we didn't us HP cloud and were using AWS instead. Some of the connections weren't set up properly.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Make sure you figure out what you want before you buy. Determine how many and what types of licenses you need.

Other Solutions Considered

Although there may be other products out there that do an amazing job, they don't necessarily have the skill set in the industry that makes it worth me going out there and looking at them.

Other Advice

During implementation, make sure you're talking about a cloud solution. You may be implementing in multiple areas, so planning is very important.

it_user370137
Performance Test Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The enterprise card allows us to use our central software for all our testers who are located worldwide.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is the enterprise card. It allows us to use our central software for all our testers who are located worldwide.

Improvements to My Organization

It's a rather complex product. There are always things that could be better, such as new protocols that allow for more efficient testing and sharing of data across our teams.

Room for Improvement

It needs to be able to inform us what our current situation is, that is, what version we're on, etc. This is important because we do reinstalls and upgrades once a year, so that information is still valid for us each time we do that.

Use of Solution

We have been using it for six years.

The stability is pretty good.

It's the right size for us right now for our purposes and we will not grow out of it any time soon. So scalability is not relevant at this time.

When you initially file a support case, it's difficult because they ask you many technical question to assess the problem. This takes a long time. I think there should be a better way for HP to know what the situation is so that you don't have to think about it for half a day.

The initial setup was OK, wasn't too complex.

Implementation Team

We worked out the complexities ourselves.

Other Solutions Considered

I've looked, but I haven't found any alternatives -- including web-based applications -- that are better than Performance Center.

Other Advice

It's a very capable solution and I highly recommend it.

it_user364155
Senior IT Infrastructure Specialist at Nordea
It has protocols that are easy to use, such as mainframe communication, and provides the ability to schedule functionalities.

Valuable Features

For us, the features we value and use the most are web and HTTP support. It also has protocols that are easy to use, such as mainframe communication, and provides the ability to schedule functionalities.

For example, we've scheduled a week of performance testing, and when it runs, it does so without breaking. It then provides the resources available and analysis of the results of tests based on monitoring preferences.

Improvements to My Organization

It's our main tool for performance testing.

Room for Improvement

It needs integration with open-source tools. It should also have version control of scripts, SDI, or GitHub. I'd also like to see some kind of EDI integration and open-source support.

It's deployed well for us.

We're using version 11.5 right now and it's OK. The latest version is 12.5, and we need to upgrade ASAP. The previous versions were pretty unstable, but that's been fixed now.

It is very scalable.

The first-level guys are OK, but when you get to the R&D guys in third-level support, they're excellent. But our company policy requires us to go though our IT department as they're pretty experienced with Performance Center. But this takes a long time.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

You should be aware of what you want to test. Could you settle for a less pricey solution? It's a very expensive tool, and it has a lot of features you may not need.

Other Advice

It's an expensive tool, so you need to be prepared to invest in training your people and to have patience as they will need to use it a lot to become adept at it.

it_user337059
Performance Test Consultant at a government with 10,001+ employees
We can view tests at run time, which has helped us to execute tests from different time zones. However, sometimes the Book Time Slot option hangs if I cancel any test or time slot.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features to us are--

• Ease of uploading the scripts, and
  • Script maintenance.

How has it helped my organization?

• Multiple users from different locations can login.
  • We can view tests at run time, which has helped us to execute tests from different time zones.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the Book Time Slot option hangs if I cancel any test or time slot. Also, if the results file gets corrupted, then we need to contact HP to get the raw results.

• Standalone PC – six years
  • SaaS PC – two years

We encountered no issues when deploying.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've scaled without issue.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

I have used Borland SilkTest, JMeter and LoadUI. JMeter and LoadUI have limitations in terms of the protocols. SilkTest is not as user friendly as Performance Center.

It was not complex, but I needed to consult HP support a couple of times for clarification and for help in registering the load injectors.

We did it in-house.

If the organization is going to test multiple protocols like Ajax, TruClient, Citrix, and SAP frequently, then there is definitely a high ROI in using this tool. If it's only the HTTP protocol being used, then other less expensive tools will be sufficient.

It is quite expensive.

it_user337041
Senior IT Monitoring and Automation Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are able to manage and monitor our entire environment, although there are many stability issues that require day-to-day maintenance.

What is most valuable?

The main features are the ability to customize the product configuration and the customization to adapt with the customer environment. Additionally, the product flexibility, and stability are also valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to manage and monitor our entire environment. We're also able to perform capacity management, performance management, and configuration management.

I've used it for around seven years.

There are many issues that require day-to-day maintenance. The issues vary from customer to customer, and I can’t list all the issues as it becomes business as usual.

Customer…

How has it helped my organization?

I've used it for around seven years.

It's OK.

It's OK.

We chose this solution because it's very flexible, scalable, and allows customization in a wide range of areas.

I've implemented it both ways, and my advice is to get the vendor to help you design a detailed plan and manage that plan.

it_user339312
Stress And Volume (Performance) Test Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
We're able to evaluate the applications' performance and stability, and are assured that each performs better and meets all SLAs, although integration with other APM tools is a little tedious.

What is most valuable?

• It helps you to build custom design application simulation models that enable the performance test engineer to assess an enterprise, multi-tier, heavily-distributed, high-traffic application on how the application for that particular release meets its non-functional test requirements and SLA thresholds, which are key business-transaction response times.
  • It tell you your applications' CPU computational power usages under various conditions such as stress, volume, and scalability.
  • Its distributed nature will let you choose load generators that can be geographically located anywhere, thus traffic simulations from multiple locations make it possible to create a real production scenario.
  • The true advantage of Performance Center is the ability to enable multiple engineers to do design and validate their script locally, but to execute them globally by using global resources spread across an organization.
  • The other advantage is the integration with HP SiteScope which lets you to perform deep-dive monitoring of your application under test during your test execution for live health analysis using several readily available monitoring templates.

How has it helped my organization?

Some of the key-business and mission-critical applications released earlier into production were having issues in terms of key business transactions running slowly, which were impacting the end-user experience. The slow business transactions were causing grief to several customers, which eventually led to customers being moved onto different competitor products, causing revenue loss. There was increased downtime of applications in production due to poor application performance.

With the help of HP Performance Center and LoadRunner, we were able to critically evaluate the applications performance and stability, and were assured that each application that was released into production was performing better and meeting all SLAs, including transactional response times and system and platform resource utilization.

We have received excellent feedback in one specific instance where a customer came directly to me, and said that they are seeing much better transactional response times, which helped them serve customers faster, and now they are seeing their customers coming back.

What needs improvement?

Integration with other APM tools like DynaTrace or AppDynamics is a little tedious. Plus, support around cloud solutions and architectures needed to be improved.

I have used several versions of this product for over five years, alongside HP LoadRunner.

It's excellent.

It's excellent.

As a person who has been in the performance engineering field for several years, I have used several similar products. However, Performance Center and LoadRunner offer unbeatable support across different protocols, including SAP and AJAX true client.

Also, its ease of use in designing and reusable custom automated performance frameworks is unbeatable. Its support in designing frameworks and scripts for load testing message queues, web, and web-service protocols are quite remarkable.

It offers different types of users for people who come from different programming backgrounds i.e. if you are predominantly a C programmer, you can write a lot of custom API’s using C, and similarly, if you come from Java programming you can use your Java skills in custom API implementation.

It was straightforward.

In-house.

It can lead to the generation of a very high ROI if you have the right people with the right expertise of the tool set.

It is a bit highly priced. However, better products with a better quality can come with a good price.

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely one of the best products available on the market. Definitely programming knowledge around C programming would be greatly advantageous.

Sr. Software Test Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
With features such as live server-side performance metrics, it helps us with performance/stress testing prior to application deployment. The UI, however, needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Ability to execute performance tests
  • Live-screen display of test load runs
  • Generation of performance test reports
  • Live server-side performance metrics

How has it helped my organization?

It has contributed greatly to the performance/stress testing of our application prior to going live and deployment. It gives our project teams a level of comfort and a baseline idea of how the performance of our application will be after going into production.

What needs improvement?

The UI should be improved in the next version.

Only very rarely does it do so, but there have been issues with its host going into non-operational status.

The level of support from HP is average.

I have not used any alternative to this product.

Initial set-up of the product was a little bit complex, and setting up the servers was little difficult.

We used a vendor team.

ROI is excellent.

It's a little expensive. The pricing is based on on the number of virtual user licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that it is a great investment for your organization. Going forward, HP is going to implement many impressive new features in this software.

it_user62265
Manager, IT Quality Assurance, and Testing with 10,001+ employees
We are able to run performance tests for Asia, EU, and the US from a centralized controller. And although it's expensive, it's useful if the usage is across the globe.

What is most valuable?

We can centralize and execute various performance tests for business units across the globe.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to run performance tests for Asia, EU, and the US from a centralized controller where each team can come together in their respective time zones, build and run the tests, as a test manager can review, and suggest various improvements along with infrastructure teams.

What needs improvement?

It's expensive, so could be cheaper. Also, it should have third-party tool integration.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

We switched due to common licences.

It was straightforward.

It's expensive, but useful if the usage is across the globe; others are pay-as-you-go type license which can be used to minimize the costs.

it_user326439
Test Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provided us detailed analyses of the tests we conducted, although its enhanced support could be improved.

What is most valuable?

It isn't a very complex product to use. That's what I liked about it.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization was not using any other product so I won't be able to compare it to others, but this product was really helpful in providing us the the detailed analysis of the tests that we conducted.

What needs improvement?

I think some enhanced support, be it online or documentation, would be appreciated.

I used it for about a year, and v12 for a few days.

7.5/10.

7.5/10.

I didn't have the chance to use any other product.

I believe that the setup was quite easy as I was able to proceed without facing any hurdles. The interface was pretty easy and helpful.

We used a vendor team.

What other advice do I have?

Even though I was a beginner, I was at ease while using this product but I believe the documentation provided alongside it could be improved. It is a great product that provides one with an extensive amount of functionality.

it_user332226
Application Administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
It was fairly straightforward to setup, although determining how many servers were needed to host the application took some time to suss out.

What is most valuable?

The ability to monitor and restart load testing components remotely, and the scheduling feature.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to upgrading to Performance Center, my organization used a shared spreadsheet to schedule or reserve resources such as load generators or controllers. The built-in feature of Performance Center that does this, has made allocation of resources much, much easier.

What needs improvement?

Browser compatibility. IE is no longer the only browser out there, so providing users the choice of what browser to use would be great!

I've used it for approximately one year.

No issues encountered.

7/10 HP support is getting better. Response times from support engineers are pretty good when using the online ticket system. The Knowledge Base still needs work: searches return far too many results, and their support site’s filtering or employment of key words or phrases seems ineffectual.

We previously used HP LoadRunner. Choosing Performance Center was an obvious upgrade for us. We also use other HP products such as UFT and Quality Center, so maintaining the cohesive environment made sense.

It was fairly straightforward, but determining how many servers were needed to host the application took some time to suss out. Performance Center is a resource-intensive app with many “moving parts” or components to consider.

We did it in-house with the help of a consultant.

it_user104979
QA Lead at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
It gives us the ability to do enterprise-level load tests, although integration with third-party tools could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Integrated Infrastructure Cloud load generators Analysis

How has it helped my organization?

Enterprise-level load tests Great analysis module for results

What needs improvement?

Backend integration Performance UI improvement Integration with third-party tools

I've used it for the last seven to eight years.

Stability has some room for improvement.

It needs improvement.

We previously used a different enterprise level product.

Complex in installation with many server/mc configurations.

What about the

What is most valuable?

• Integrated Infrastructure
  • Cloud load generators
  • Analysis

How has it helped my organization?

• Enterprise-level load tests
  • Great analysis module for results

What needs improvement?

• Backend integration
  • Performance
  • UI improvement
  • Integration with third-party tools

I've used it for the last seven to eight years.

Stability has some room for improvement.

It needs improvement.

We previously used a different enterprise level product.

Complex in installation with many server/mc configurations.

We did it in-house with help from tech support.

The price is quite high. It also has expensive licenses, and product support.

it_user332640
Performance Test Engineer/Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It gives you a wide-ranging view on performance bottlenecks, from CPU to memory to network, but I would like to see them integrate it with a mobile UI to automate scripts.

What is most valuable?

Analyzer Performance Center

How has it helped my organization?

It gives you a wide-ranging view on performance bottlenecks, from CPU to memory to network etc. This helps identify possible bottlenecks in the production environment, as well as the expected/unexpected loads.

What needs improvement?

Mobile testing - integrate it with a mobile UI to automate scripts and run it concurrently.

I've used it for five years alongside HP LoadRunner v9.0 to v11.50, and HP UFT.

No issues encountered, but an upgraded patch is required.

No issues encountered.

What do I think about the scalability of the

What is most valuable?

• Analyzer
  • Performance Center

What needs improvement?

I've used it for five years alongside HP LoadRunner v9.0 to v11.50, and HP UFT.

No issues encountered, but an upgraded patch is required.

No issues encountered.

7/10. Since 70% of the market share is HP, it is very common, and tough, to reach them for support. The estimated wait time is always at least 20 minutes.

No previous solution was used.

It’s fairly easy and straightforward. With the current version, 12.0 and above, it looks and feels complicated, and not user friendly to implement.

Through a vendor team.

The price has skyrocketed, and to stay competitive, they need to reduce the licensing costs.

it_user331326
Portfolio Testing Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helps us to uncover critical performance-related defects. Almost all the areas improve with each version, however the correlation of scripts, analysis, and reporting can be further improved.

Valuable Features

• Integration with the majority of enterprise tools
  • Scripting
  • Reporting
  • Admin Console
  • Reporting & Analysis tool

Improvements to My Organization

This helps us to uncover some very high and critical performance-related defects, and keeping almost zero production issues related to the performance of applications since then.

Room for Improvement

Almost all the areas improve drastically with each version; however, the correlation of scripts, analysis and reporting can be further improved. Their technical support could also be improved. Recording of the latest applications is an area for continuous improvement.

Use of Solution

I've used it for the last 15 years, and for the last nine years at enterprise level.

No issues encountered.

Mercury support was very good compared to HP, however they are getting better day by day.

It was straightforward initially with v8.1 and various FPs for 8.1. However it was very complex with v10. It was due to the way our security suites were designed that made it very complex. The design stage took one month, and implementation was two months, and we had one month dedicated support from offshore.

Implementation Team

It was with a mix of an in-house team and vendor support. The vendor team is necessary for the initial setup, and upgrades can be done in-house, but major upgrades need vendor support.

Other Solutions Considered

We carried out various PoCs for different market leading tool sets, and chose HP Performance Center because it offers better test suites for our enterprise tools, ease of integration, and it had more collaboration with our existing tool sets. Also, the technology, current & future demands for various applications, was better than the other opetions and they offered better support arrangements.

Other Advice

It's generally for enterprise level, however they now offer a SaaS version for smaller companies or clients.

it_user149331
Performance Test Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We no longer need different physical machines for each control as users can log into a single instance and manage all other controllers from there.

What is most valuable?

Using multiple controllers and using random LG’s for different executions with IP spoofing really helps to simulate realistic scenarios.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we had different physical machines for each controller, and then we shifted to Performance Center. It allows users to log into a single instance and to manage all other controllers from there.

What needs improvement?

I think Stormrunner is the best example of a cloud based solution, so it may be that Performance Center can have a better, richer, and faster UI.

I've used it for one year.

4.5/5

4.5/5

I started with HP products.

It was a bit complex in terms of administration but we got help from technical people.

I was not completely involved in implementation, so I don’t have much information on this.

I think HP has a straightforward approach.

Senior IT Service Management Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We've been able to implement it in a project designed for hundreds of thousands of users, although it should allow for more customization for recorded test loads.

Valuable Features

• Auto/manual correlation
  • Test Analysis
  • Test script customization
  • Test scheduling

Improvements to My Organization

Actually we’re implementing and consulting with our customers in terms of performance testing using LoadRunner or Performance Center.

For example, we’re in the middle of a project for implementing a distributed Performance Center system, with six load generators for testing an Oracle ERP system that holds about 800,000 users, with an average annual increase of 40,000 users.

Our target is to implement Performance Center, integrate it with HP ALM, design the load tests for simulating 70K virtual users that are hitting the system with different scenarios, and finally we will present reports to ERP management staff about the response trend of the system, such as virtual users passed/failed, server throughput/sec, transactions taken time etc.

Room for Improvement

I think there is a lot of configuration and customization that can come in for optimizing the recorded load test in terms of CPU and memory used and, accordingly, the service/process that are running this v-user script at load generator. This would be very helpful especially when running a huge number of v-users simultaneously.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

Running virtual users especially with a huge number is a very challenging task. The load generators may over utilize its resources (CPU/ memory) due to improper default configurations, or improper use of LoadRunner and Performance Center. Many considerations should be taken into account when optimizing resources when doing this task. For example, running the recorded script as a service at the load generator is different from running it as a process.

Also, customizing the auto-generated script in virual user generation may cause problems when ramping up the number of users. For example, simulating a generated list of variables that would be used by every virtual user is important.

Lastly, taking care of variable sizing and limitation should be reviewed, and otherwise errors may appear at certain point of running the script.

Above moderate, but HP is trying to enhance its support level.

Above moderate, but HP is trying to enhance its support level.

The initial setup is straightforward when following the installation guide steps.

Implementation Team

I did the implementation by myself as part of a project for one of our customers. My advice is to understand the business need that would guide to a proper scope and design guidelines. Performance Center can be implemented in different ways (standalone, distributed, with/without integration with HP-ALM or HP Diagnostics, number of load generators and their location etc.). The implementor should arrange for the best and quickest setup that will fulfill the goals, otherwise the implementation would end up as a trip of trial and error, and probably fail, or exceed the time plan.

ROI

Our customers think of the following benefits as ROI of using HP Performance Center:

• Reducing downtime in operations phase that may come due to load on system by fixing or customizing their application to afford the maximum number of concurrent users they expect
  • Prior knowledge of their system limitation and its break point, may let them take precautions steps at application server or network level to prohibit overload traffic that may crash their system.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The license of Performance Center is not cheap and may be very expensive for some protocols, such as SAP and Oracle. Accordingly, optimizing the license to what is only needed – in terms of protocol and number of virtual users can save a lot of money. When the load testing is limited with a start and end date plan, I recommend using temporary licenses, or a pay-as-you-go model of license, it may be more expensive in the short run, but of course it would be more economical in the long run.

Other Solutions Considered

From outside HP no, but inside HP there are two solutions for doing the load testing; LoadRunner, and Performance Center. The concept is almost the same, but Performance Center excels in big projects, and working with different teams besides scheduling tests feature.

Other Advice

My advice is to identify well the scenarios, protocols and maximum number of virtual users needed for load testing. Also, simulating a real-world load testing scenario is very important if you need to get a near-real results. For example, simulating network speed to reflect the real case. Some scenarios may require using a paid e-service, which may cost a lot when simulations repeat with a huge number of virtual users. At this point, another product called HP Service Virtualization could be used to sniff the in/out going traffic, then simulating the e-service function later after learning its function. At this point we can then replace the real e-services communications with HP Service Virtualization, so a budget-wise trade-off may be held between using HP Service Virtualization and the paid e-services. I recommend consulting HP presales to get the most proper setup with least possible licensing.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Platinum Partner HP Software
it_user324924
Owner at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It integrates with Application Lifecycle Management, but the web-based interface is still a little clunky in terms of response to user input.

What is most valuable?

Its integration with the Application Lifecycle Management platform makes it very flexible and easy to learn.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization teaches Performance Center, and we find over and over that its the top choice for an enterprise solution to performance testing. Because it integrates with Application Lifecycle Management, it is a natural choice for any organization that already uses HP software solutions. While the installation of any server-based application can be complicated, Performance Center is remarkably straightforward by comparison, and for some time HP software has been known for its ease of use and, consequently, appeal to a broad user base.

What needs improvement?

Performance Center was a stand-alone server application until its marriage with Application Lifecycle Management in 12.x, when both the architecture and the user interface underwent a major overhaul. As such, it has been rapidly evolving for the past several years as HP worked through the initial UI and performance challenge in terms of a response to improve its stability, then begin to focus on adding features that would facilitate communication of performance data.

Today, they continue to enhance reporting and analysis as the My Performance Center dashboard matures, but the web-based interface is still a little clunky in terms of response to user input, especially in the Workload area where a load test is built. Communication between load testing hosts and components is very complex and sometimes fragile, making manual intervention still too often necessary should an anomaly occur during testing.

I've used it since v9.x.

As I said before, Performance Center is certainly part of a complex environment, especially now that it is an extension of Application Lifecycle Management. Yet it constantly impresses me with its relative ease of installation, and the flexibility of its architecture.

Initially (11.x) its stability left a little to be desired, but I feel HP has worked diligently to fine tune the tool so that today, the most noticeable lag occurs during the startup of a load test. Once the test is running, the tool performs as expected.

As I mentioned, I teach Performance Center classes as an independent contractor, so I do not frequently have the need to contact HP support. In my classes, naturally I hear feedback on different support experiences, and I would say they are an unsurprising mixture of favorable and unfavorable opinions. I can only imagine how challenging it must be to troubleshoot such a complex installation when every enterprise surely has a unique set of variables.

Other than HP LoadRunner, I have not. They were the first tools I learned, and have continued to use them because they constantly meet or exceed my expectations.

Performance Center 12.x is compatible with a very specific set of operating system, database, hardware, and file system options. The installation process scans for those exact options, and will not proceed even if a slight variation is detected. By comparison, the previous 11.x could be configured to use Oracle 11g (the free, development version of the database), useful when testing a trial version of the software. Now, the supported options are a bit more rigid, but still the installation process is remarkably straightforward. I have a reasonable technical background, and after working through a couple specific challenges I have now installed and configured the application half a dozen times.

We did implement the software using our in-house team, but I would advise engaging HP consultants for larger installations. The complexity of our environment cannot be compared to the needs of a typical enterprise.

The HP sales team is much more qualified to discuss topics related to pricing and licensing. HP is very focused on building long-lasting relationships with its clients, and as such is willing to negotiate a combination that is favorable for both them and the client.

What other advice do I have?

HP has very masterfully re-engineered this tool and integrated it with Application Lifecycle Management to create one of the most seamless project management suites I've used in years. When simultaneously integrated with Unified Functional Testing, which also supports service testing, I feel the richness of testing information that can be managed from within a single tool (ALM) is hard to beat--despite the price tag.

Ravi Suvvari
Performance and Fault-tolerance Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
The web interface, which allows use by multiple users in multiple locations, is helpful as we operate from India, the UK, and the US.

What is most valuable?

• Web interface, which can be used by multiple users from multiple locations
  • Groups distribution
  • Good for batch and timely executions
  • Results in easier readable format
  • Single license can be used optimally in different time zones for 300% ROI
  • Multiple projects execution
  • Time slot bookings for controller
  • Optimal use of Load generator/injectors

How has it helped my organization?

Maximum utilization of controller as we operate from India, UK and US in different time zones.

What needs improvement?

Deletion of collating test results by admin access only.

6 years

200%

Little expensive

it_user253317
Software Developer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The UI itself is very user friendly. So even though I support six different applications, I don’t have to go back and re-teach myself.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

We've eliminated a lot of production issues because we are able to test so many virtual users at once. It's pretty amazing to run a test environment and have virtual five thousand users. We also need to 24/7 support for our thousands of customers. This solution gets all the bugs out of other applications so when they do go to run, they're ready.

Very stable. Our only issue is that we consistently need more load generators.

It has supported our enormous, continuous growth very quickly compared to other tools we’ve used. We also used IBM Rational Team Concert, which could not support the growth in the same way.

Not as fast as I would like, but they work with our customers in addition to working with us which is great because we don’t always have to be involved.

Other Advice

Technical support is the most important element for us when choosing a vendor.

I would say this is a very good tool as it allows small and huge applications to test with limitless size.

it_user96453
Director of QA at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Valuable features such as reporting capabilities and the ability to execute tests. Initial setup was complex.

What is most valuable?

The features I feel were most valuable were the reporting capabilities, the scheduling, and the ability to execute tests from anywhere.

How has it helped my organization?

Before upgrading to Performance Center the team was required to be at the controller location, and reporting needed to be extracted then presented.

What needs improvement?

I’d like to see the scheduling feature extended to more of an infrastructure management tool.

5 Years

None

Yes, though I believe these were caused by our infrastructure implementation and not the product.

None

Customer Service: Excellent!Technical Support: Proficient

We were previously using HP’s LoadRunner product. We switched because we were centralizing the function and needed a more robust product.

The initial setup was complex, but we were helped every step of the way by our NRCE (Named Response Center Engineer).

We used HP resources NRCE. They performed expertly.

What other advice do I have?

Use professional services to assist you with the install.