Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Overview

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Performance Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional vs Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise

What is Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional?

LoadRunner is the Micro Focus industry-standard software solution for application performance and load testing. LoadRunner stresses your entire system to isolate and identify potential client, network, and server bottlenecks, supporting performance testing of new technologies together with your existing, legacy applications.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is also known as Micro Focus LoadRunner, HPE LoadRunner, LoadRunner.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Customers

JetBlue, GOME, Australian Red Cross Blood Service, RMIT University, Virgin Media

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Director at Traydaht ltd
Provides clients with an understanding of application and system performance

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is across many environments and many applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides clients with an understanding of application and system performance.

What is most valuable?

Real-time performance stats, analysis tool, protocol coverage, and simple integration of external monitors are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Support for Microsoft Dynamics needs improvement.

More than five years.
Technical Leader at Valtech
A Very Systematic Tool Anyone Can Use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for LoadRunner is a lot of business transactions, physical scenarios, and incoming applications. We use LoadRunner for building and it is very easy to use because of its support for all of the protocols. LoadRunner is a very systematic tool for anyone to use. Even someone who is actually a first time user of LoadRunner can actually get a lot of benefit out of the tool.

• "LoadRunner is a very systematic tool for anyone to use. Even someone who is actually a first time user of LoadRunner can actually get a lot of benefit out of the tool."
  • "If they can make LoadRunner more comprehensive, it would really help."

What other advice do I have?

I would give LoadRunner around 8 out of 10 in the review, considering the fact, that I know how good the tool is. There are a few areas for improvement, the results, and the monitoring tools. Other than that, I think I'm pretty satisfied with LoadRunner.
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,894 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager Quality Assurance at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to test most of our products and projects, across all the different technologies

• "Enables us to test most of the products and projects that we have across all the different technologies, without having to look at other tools."
  • "We still have some issues with integration with things like SiteScope which, obviously, being another HPE product should be very straightforward, but there are always issues around that."

What other advice do I have?

It covers the most technology, is the most reliable, it gives us the most features. It's not a 10 out of 10 because of the issues with integrations and it's not quite the one solution, the one-part solution for everything. I don't know if it's really the product's fault but there are products that, later on, I can't test or can't script against or can't replay against and it's just understanding whether that's a limitation of the tool or a limitation of the product. Part that is design as well as trying to actually script against it.
Lead Solution Architect at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
It has helped us identify performance issues well in advance

• "The number of protocols that it supports, and especially, for example, when it talks about SAP GUI-based performance testing."
  • "You should be able to use LoadRunner as a single platform. You should be able to have browser based access. You should be able to run enterprise tests."

What other advice do I have?

LoadRunner is still my first choice. There's still no competition to LoadRunner. In the sense, there are tools out there. I know without a doubt, very good tools. But again, LoadRunner to me is more versatile and has more breadth of coverage. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * We look at the product itself. In the sense, the stability of the product, etc. * In terms of the vendor, we look at the thought leadership and the roadmap. That's something we always look into. Just to see, is the vendor a good investment. For example, are they going to stick around for a long time? * We…
Principal consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
For multithreading, the number of protocols that this particular tool supports has been very good

• "The ability to do multithreading. That's available in any performance testing tool, but the number of protocols that this particular tool supports has been very good."
  • "If the support of the protocols was the same throughout the other protocols and it was there evenly, then I would rate the product higher."

What other advice do I have?

Don't make a blind decision. Don't just say, "Pick LoadRunner, because we are telling you to." Look at the other solutions as well. I'm pretty sure they will soon enough determine that Loadrunner is the market leader, and there is a good reason for it. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Our company looks for the region and their attention to consider our recommendations in terms of which tools to buy, how to go about testing, and how to avoid testing. You don't want to test too much, as well. These are some of the things. If we get any hints on whether the management is more…
Performance Test Lead at a consultancy with 51-200 employees

• "The capabilities and flexibility of the Controller, the ability to monitor the systems under test, and the comprehensive results Analysis which saves a great deal of time."
  • "More guidance on the use of the Tru Client protocol which is used for Web interfaces."

What other advice do I have?

Take a good look at your requirements, LoadRunner is the best for those who need a full blown product, or a diverse range of protocols to be tested. However not everyone needs this. There are other products that do parts of what LoadRunner does just as well and cheaper. Because LoadRunner is so widely used, there are many people with LoadRunner experience available, it will be harder to find experience in an alternative tool. There are cheaper and free alternatives, but these generally take longer to set up and use. Often the software licence costs are far less than the professional services…
Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has helped our clients to find performance bottlenecks and capacity issues before deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I will suggest to first understand what is your requirement and then list down the tools available, which can help in delivery. We need to make an appropriate choice by keeping the budget in mind. If pricing is not an issue then choose LoadRunner, else evaluate other options.
IT Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We use it to create scripts. It supports a range of technologies, including SAP.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to use it.
IT Manager at VINCI Energies
Before going into production, we use it to validate some transactions, new environments and cloud environments.

What other advice do I have?

You must test them on different protocols and on different transactions to see if it is good or not. Personally, I don't understand HPE’s global strategy, i.e., how to sell the services and so on. It's so different from other companies. Every company includes services and stocks materials. However, in regards to HPE’s strategy it seems to me, that they increase parts and materials and instead stock on services. This is my view of HPE and I need to increase my understanding of their strategy. The reporting tool isn’t so good. Sometimes, we must hesitate between the different types of protocols…
Monitoring Systems and Performance Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives me more flexibility into writing my own code.

What other advice do I have?

I'm really happy with what they’re giving me for what I do, but because I don't do performance monitoring or performance testing using LoadRunner, I'm not completely aware of everything else, but for what I do it's a great tool for me. Do a POC with your own environment and don't rely on the list of capabilities that a solution just gives you doing a demo in your environment. That's what is the key thing for you to decide on what is the solution that you want.
Senior Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to test standalone from individual machines.

Valuable Features

For me as a user, the flexibility in different protocols and things like that which can be tested with the tool.

Improvements to My Organization

We're able to test standalone from individual machines.

The stability on the old versions is good. On the newer versions, the bleeding edge is still being worked on.

It's very scalable. No issues with scalability.

Premium support is great, but before that when we just had general support, it was not all that great. We had issues with trying to get support to call us back on tickets and turnaround time on resolution.

It's not exactly straightforward. Their instructions were not all they could have been, but we still got…
Senior Manager Assurance Quality, Tests, and Environnements at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Provides us with real data regarding our performance testing.
IT QA Test Manager at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to scale up in order to simulate load on your application.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you take into consideration how much overhead LoadRunner is adding to the load.
IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Cost effective performance validation tool

What other advice do I have?

HP offers extensive documentation and support services to help its customer base. True, the product costs a few bucks more than the (open source) alternatives like Neoload, QA Load and others, but in my opinion you get a solid performance test in return (if properly executed of course).
Performance Test Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
HP LoadRunner is a powerful tool for performance testing. It supports lots of protocols and is intuitive.

Valuable Features

Language Support Analysis Monitoring

Improvements to My Organization

It expedites the process of creating test scripts

Room for Improvement

Network monitoring

Use of Solution

5 years

Customer Service: Excellent Technical Support: Good.

Little complex

Other Solutions Considered

JMeter
Senior Test Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helped our organization run successful performance testing cycles and identify the bottlenecks of the application. We'd like to implement it to do load testing in the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for customer satisfaction, you can simply go and get it.
Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It provides us with all the protocols we need in one solution as we test many different commercially available tools.
Director at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It includes protocols which support our business requirements, such as Java, HTTP, and Citrix.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend using LoadRunner. Use the latest two client protocols for object scripting.
Test Automation Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us the ability to simulate multiple uses at the same time.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think there's a better product for all systems.
Project Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
It supports Citrix and SAP protocols, which is very helpful for our clients to understand bottlenecks if there are any on their network, though it should support GWT and mobile testing.

What other advice do I have?

We have only web-based services, mobile testing in scope, and the user load is maximum 1000, so we could have used NeoLoad, but there were lots of other factors in switching.
Quality Assurance Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We're able to identify performance problems in the test environment before they occur in production. But while it's a mature tool, it doesn't provide integration with a monitoring tool.
Sr. Performance Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
I've seen Stability and Scalability improve with each release. I appreciate that documentation is readily available.

What other advice do I have?

I'm involved in catering the needs of my company's performance testing for all the applications. We use a variety of HP products but our team, where I'm concerned more is HP LoadRunner. We are also upgrading into Performance Center as we speak. We are more into HP LoadRunner. LoadRunner has easy usability right now, and it's pretty much documented on the features, and has a how-to-do use of videos, learning materials. It's easy to use once you have some basic training and you can get along easily. It will give your company return of investment I believe if you're in invest in it.
CEO at Infuse Consulting
We use it along with Performance Center and other tools in delivering performance engineering services.

What other advice do I have?

it is a best of breed product with some minor frustrations around product support.
IT Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Truclient Ajax makes it a strong web Performance tool.

Valuable Features:

Truclient Ajax

Improvements to My Organization:

Scripting for web is faster and easier

Use of Solution:

1 year

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Yes, Remote Load Generators has issues in identifying objects on dynamic web pages
Performance Tester/QA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
One of the best performance testing tools available but expensive and time consuming

What other advice do I have?

It's good to use LoadRunner if you have lots of money and time. It’s really good but expensive and time consuming.
Performance Tester/QA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Overall LoadRunner is a good tool to use, but it’s quite expensive and complex to script at times.

What is most valuable?

Available protocols

What needs improvement?

Scripting should be simpler, it becomes very complex many times.

3 years

Customer Service: 7 out of 10Technical Support: 5 out of 10

No, but I have evaluated many other solutions.

Not very long.
Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Analysis tool is of great value to me. Initial setup straightforward.

Valuable Features

Analysis tool

Improvements to My Organization

LoadRunner helped identify bottlenecks during the testing phase in several instances especially before launch of major projects.

Use of Solution

5 years

The load generators make use of all available NIC to send traffic. Some NICs on a machine were not configured for external access, hence causing http requests to fail.

Occasionally it crashed when it had to crunch large amounts of data.

Customer Service: Very poorTechnical Support: Strictly ok
IT Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
By measuring performance and identifying bottlenecks, we have reduced costs, minimized testing and deployment times
My company needed a better way to introduce new applications and update existing software releases efficiently. Our past system hindered us from delivering new products and services quickly. To maintain rapid business growth, we realized that seeing the entire IT process during such projects was essential. We required appropriate testing tools to assess processes, manage change, determine application performance, resolve problems and improve defect visibility. We wanted to move away from simply dealing with defect management and introduce a new testing regime with a sound methodology. We needed well designed testing processes, the correct software tools to support requests and a quality platform for test management and release. My company researched the market and approached…
QA Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We evaluated other options but decided to stay with LoadRunner because of the depth & breadth of the protocols available

What other advice do I have?

Research your strategic requirements. Think long term, it WILL work out cheaper. LoadRunner is not a tactical solution.
Architect at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent load testing capabilities & reports. Quick visibility focusing in on a problem area is extremely helpful.
The main reason that we decided to implement LoadRunner was because of our serious lack of insight into exactly where flaws were stemming from when a problem arose or how we could fix those problems earlier and more efficiently in the future. When a problem was found, solutions could only be given after the fact, making the losses bigger and causing more damage than necessary. We needed to increase our awareness of the challenges and issues that could come up before they arose, or at least catch the problems faster than we currently were, in order to tackle them properly. As the company grew and our infrastructure increased, the task of testing and debugging our entire system transformed into a colossal and costly problem. Our service, which includes providing healthcare and…
Head of Development at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
What’s new in LoadRunner 11.52 ?
On 12th June at HP Discover, I attended one of lecture sessions led by Shane Evans and Silvia Siquiera. During the presentation, they introduced the new features of LoadRunner 11.52. They started the presentation by introducing the new features that came in LoadRunner 11.50 (last year) and then highlighted the features that had been added since then. Key new features: Improved application performance (particularly VuGen startup and Analysis). Integration with HP Live network. (HP Live network connects partners customers etc.) Replay summary report displays detailed statistics. Improved run time settings interface. Can now configure round robin ramp up across load generators. Integration with Visual studio and eclipse for agile CI/CD. Support…
QA Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Helps us prevent performance problems by detecting bottlenecks...
LOADRUNNER helps prevent performance problems by detecting bottlenecks before a system deployment or upgrade. HP LoadRunner performance testing software helps you test a broad range of applications.
Download our free Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.