Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Performance Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional vs Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise

What is Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional?

LoadRunner is the Micro Focus industry-standard software solution for application performance and load testing. LoadRunner stresses your entire system to isolate and identify potential client, network, and server bottlenecks, supporting performance testing of new technologies together with your existing, legacy applications.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is also known as Micro Focus LoadRunner, HPE LoadRunner, LoadRunner.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Customers

JetBlue, GOME, Australian Red Cross Blood Service, RMIT University, Virgin Media

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Video

Archived Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Reviews (more than two years old)

RM
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It is very stable and the technical support is good

• "The solution is quite stable."
  • "I guess scalability becomes a problem when you use things like TruClients."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to do testing for banks and financial institutions.

What is most valuable?

At the moment I like to use the TruClient port, add them and create other versions of TruClient, because TruClient is usually too big to handle heavy loads, so you need to recreate a vamp version for whatever you will need.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes I have problems when I want to record a script if the application is a little special, like the login part. I think the TruClient works well and they are developing new things there all the time. So it's getting better. I would like to see an easier way to move things from SoapUI to the same addressed services and postman or something like that. Because the developers will use the other products and then the website and then load them at no cost. So if it was just one step to move from one system to another it would be a great improvement.

I have been using the solution for almost twenty years now.

The solution is quite stable. I've seen a few bugs of course - they will always be there. That's not a big deal and I just work around it.

I guess scalability becomes a problem when you use things like TruClients. It eats lots of memory, so usually, I have two or three low generators while I have the one controller. We have had some problems with when we are using a BPM system. In the beginning, it was quite difficult when we changed to this other system and we wanted to connect to the home computer.

We have about 12 users, mostly testers, working on the solution currently. Then we have two people working in our performance center.

The technical support is good. Whenever we had a problem, they solved it.

The initial setup was quite straightforward and it's quite easy to install the standard version. Everything takes less than an hour.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to look into the application differently. In the next version, I would like to see an easier way to create and use TruClient for development and to move it to another version. They already have this function, but it is not very user-friendly. You cannot do a correlation of things now, because it is on a higher level now. So you have to do a lot of work.

My rating for this solution is nine out of ten. I've used it a lot, so I guess it's possible to make things better, but it's been around for a while, so I think it's very good.

it_user825579
Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The interface is user-friendly and it offers great loading and repair properties.

• "The initial setup and installation of the software were very easy and straightforward."
  • "Sometimes we are not be able to click on some of the buttons due to the screen mismatching and compatibility issues."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for performance testing and load testing.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution improves our organization because we can use it for recording scripts, enhancing the scripts and for running test revisions. We can therefore preform test revisions and do analysis.

What is most valuable?

What I really like about this solution, is the user-friendly interface and the loading and repair properties.

What needs improvement?

Currently the solution doesn't have recording options or sometimes we're not be able to see the recording options. So that needs to improve. I also think the solution should have more screen compatibility, even if you're using a different operating system like Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Sometimes we find that there is a difference between the desktop screen and the laptop screen. So, it should be compatible for both screens.

I have been using LoadRunner for around two years on premise.

The solution is stable and the only compatibility issues lie within the screens. I think there should be an improvement to the compatibility to both laptop and desktop screens. Sometimes we are not be able to click on some of the buttons due to the screen mismatching and compatibility issues.

We have about 200 users and the scalability is good so far. We don't plan to increase our usage so I am not sure how scalable it will be with more users.

We get really good support from the support team.

What other advice do I have?

LoadRunner has a variety of options and different protocols that will support all types of applications categories like web application, monitor and any internal applications or desktop applications. The customization protocol also is user-friendly and if I have to rate the solution, I will give it a nine out of ten. In the next version I would like to see specific protocols when I want to do performance settings for any desktop clients.

Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AphiwatLeetavorn
Manager, Director, Share Holder at Marco Technology
Reseller
Identify and eliminate performance bottlenecks before going into production

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for performance testing, and to identify bottlenecks.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us to eliminate software performance risk before going live.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is VuGen, the Virtual User Generator. The scripting can be done easily. The Analysis feature makes it easy to analyze cross-data and we can pin to the focus period.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be cheaper.

I have been using this solution for fifteen years.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for performance testing, and to identify bottlenecks.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be cheaper.

I have been using this solution for fifteen years.
QA Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good synchronization capabilities but pilot processing needs improvement

• "Very useful for finding out how the system responds to load, stress, and normal situations, as well as benchmarking with other industry competitors. It also improved our response time, memory delegation, and CPU delegation. In addition, we used LoadRunner to optimize our database and website."
  • "There is room for improvement of the pilot processing, the dump analysis, and forwarding results based on the dump analysis. We have a generator, root controller, different agents, and an analyzer, so all of these are very important when it comes to LoadRunner."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for load testing and stress testing of applications. It tests whether services are running at an optimal point or not. It can also be used for benchmarking with other industry standards.

How has it helped my organization?

My admin was very useful for finding out how the system responds to load, stress, and normal situations, as well as benchmarking with other industry competitors. It also improved our response time, memory delegation, and CPU delegation. In addition, we used LoadRunner to optimize our database and website.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable are synchronization capabilities and the ability to interact with it on different types of systems and protocols. It is a market leader and it integrates with different applications. When you compare it to JMeter, LoadRunner is more flexible and has more capabilities than JMeter to support different technologies.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement of the pilot processing and forwarding results based on the dump analysis. We have a generator, root controller, different agents, and an analyzer, so all of these are very important when it comes to LoadRunner.

LoadRunner also has to create a low-cost version that supports simpler testing and only some of the simple features would be included. This would allow people to use LoadRunner and get support from LoadRunner in terms of application testing. It is a principle that if people will get to use LoadRunner for free, LoadRunner will get more business and major payback.

I would rate it 6 out of 10, because LoadRunner is a vast thing, starting from those scenarios and then getting more into users, putting more points, correlation, load testing, and benchmarking. I have this part and hope it works well with the system. All of this is very complex. It takes a long time to learn the system well.

Four years

The stability of the solution is mostly good. The only thing is that we used a distributor to fix the problems when something went wrong at one point. If it was working out well, the results of that thing would still give you wrong results. So the distributor is not really good with problems, but the local setup is good with no problems.

We can scale it up at any point in time because we can get a distributor. We can add variants, controllers, claims, and analyzers, so it will support different types of protocols.

We just created load scenarios and we will load the scenarios to a number of virtual users. For example, we can load around 1,000 users for each scenario. In abnormal conditions, we could have 10,000 users. Also, loading them depends upon the role alias and role controller's configuration.

The size of staff required for deployment and maintenance depends upon what application and how many load scenarios you want to do, as well as the complexity of your application, how much hardware you have, and how much software support you have. All of those things will come into the picture.

They would be different types of users like a read-only user, a write-only user, etc.

We use JMeter and LoadRunner together: When we're stress testing and for service or load testing we use JMeter, while we use LoadRunner for basic load testing. We keep it like that but we can see how that mitigation works and the application is also for internal users, so we consider what it does there and we can do a lot of those things.

We are not actually concerned with the technical support of the LoadRunner. We get support for the LoadRunner through the internet.

We previously used JMeter.

The initial setup is not that difficult. When it comes to distribution systems then it will be somewhat difficult, and you need to have a proper network to work on. Another consideration is that at the distribution level and onward we need to put different controllers, unions, and claims at different locations to have a product as accurate as this.

The deployment took some time because we needed to know what type of load is expected in the future and what the break-even point would be, at which point of load. We needed to know the different scenarios that were expected and plan the load testing and the load batterings and always stick to the plan. We needed load analysis, a load plan, and benchmarking standards. All of these need to be collected. This equipment needs to be connected before we can actually begin testing.

The deployment takes around one month man days based on the application status.

We used a consultant for deployment.

We did some return on investment analysis, by using the POC (proof of concept). We compared other tools with LoadRunner, JMeter, and LoadRunner and we got a generated a scenario testing based on the place of publication and we determined that LoadRunner is good.

I don't know the licensing cost, but I think that you would get a discount for normal usage. I think there are different yearly options for different types of usage. It is not only how many users, but also whether it is shareable or not and other criteria involved in each feature. There are additional fees for the users and hardware linked to the processing.

We evaluated JMeter and LoadRunner together to form the selection process. For some scenarios we can use LoadRunner for specification road testing, while for other types of testing we prefer JMeter.

What other advice do I have?

When you compare other products to LoadRunner, LoadRunner has been in the market for a long time. You could use it to integrate with everything. Also, it can generate an input that we can use in any version, it can improve our performance, and we can put input in and we get a command from LoadRunner for that.

Ray Andrews
Director at Traydaht ltd
Provides clients with an understanding of application and system performance

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is across many environments and many applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides clients with an understanding of application and system performance.

What is most valuable?

Real-time performance stats, analysis tool, protocol coverage, and simple integration of external monitors are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Support for Microsoft Dynamics needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Support for Microsoft Dynamics needs improvement.

Desil Ponnatt
Technical Leader at Valtech
A Very Systematic Tool Anyone Can Use

• "LoadRunner is a very systematic tool for anyone to use. Even someone who is actually a first time user of LoadRunner can actually get a lot of benefit out of the tool."
  • "If they can make LoadRunner more comprehensive, it would really help."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for LoadRunner is a lot of business transactions, physical scenarios, and incoming applications. We use LoadRunner for building and it is very easy to use because of its support for all of the protocols.

How has it helped my organization?

LoadRunner is an expensive tool, so mostly it is large-sized companies that would prefer LoadRunner over other legacy applications. Being with LoadRunner for so long has given a lot of opportunities for us to experiment with large workloads and even the various different types of extensions. That has actually really benefited the organization.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of LoadRunner is the correlation feature which is automated now. All year when I started this with a lot of manual processes, it would actually capture dynamic values, but now these new versions have made it very easy for any newcomer to form whatever you want.

Get in other agitation settings which are very detailed and any tester can go through everything they intend to do, customize their execution patterns. The results are very detailed, presenting a very comprehensive summary that anyone can read and understand.

What needs improvement?

If they can make LoadRunner more comprehensive, it would really help. My main recommendations for improvement for LoadRunner are:

• It would be good if LoadRunner can categorize the different transactions based on the time taken to do the test, against the transactions first.
  • The reports should be a little more comprehensive, more detailed.
  • There should be a way to use the default monitoring tool integrated with LoadRunner.

For example, if I have to look for monitoring I have to always integrate an extending tool to LoadRunner and then monitor my task. If LoadRunner is not driving and they can afford to have their own monitoring enabled, that would help.

The LoadRunner report also needs more information other than the straightforward notes, like response time.

More than five years.

To be frank, the earlier version (graded I-5 and graded I-6) was very bad for me. I had a really bad experience on that version.

One of the problems we had was that one of the scripts that we used to create worked and then there were some bugs that were coming out runtime support.

The recent version runs well, and actually, LoadRunner has removed those bugs. It's been a good experience.

In terms of driving, LoadRunner is at a level that is a little riddled but otherwise, it's been a good thing. LoadRunner has the kind of features that are much more advanced. The comparison is IIS & NeoLoad. It is very scalable.

Very rarely have I actually wondered how to use tech support because most of the bugs, most of the issues have been resolved by ourselves, through online browsing and materials. I've not really chatted with the LoadRunner tech support.

The setup of LoadRunner is very straightforward. It comes with one retro file which installs all the applications which handle the individual applications also. It's a very easy setup, just that the sizing of the tools is much less. Other than that, the setup is pretty easy.

The three factors we look for in a vendor are:

1. The pricing
  2. The features
  3. The customer support

Definitely, the features are most important to complement the pricing.

Since it's 11 years that the company has been using LoadRunner, there was no other tool on the market that would actually come to the standards of LoadRunner and that is why we had chosen such a tool.

Look at the options on other software which are not as pricey as LoadRunner. It's true that LoadRunner has all the features and a lot of ways to help, but then not all companies require such extensive tools. That is where I would probably suggest asking the pricing and the features integrated.

At that time it was Silk Performer vs. LoadRunner, and Silk Performer was not optimal enough in terms of its features. We were having a lot of issues trying to create our scripts using Silk Performer and latched upon LoadRunner. We found out that LoadRunner has got a lot more features than Silk Performer and was able to cover the tasks.

What other advice do I have?

I would give LoadRunner around 8 out of 10 in the review, considering the fact, that I know how good the tool is. There are a few areas for improvement, the results, and the monitoring tools. Other than that, I think I'm pretty satisfied with LoadRunner.

it_user567588
    Manager Quality Assurance at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables us to test most of our products and projects, across all the different technologies

• "Enables us to test most of the products and projects that we have across all the different technologies, without having to look at other tools."
    • "We still have some issues with integration with things like SiteScope which, obviously, being another HPE product should be very straightforward, but there are always issues around that."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to get better reliability, quicker, for the products and solutions. That means fewer critical performance issues when the product goes to market.

What needs improvement?

Probably integrations. We still have some issues with integration with things like SiteScope which, obviously, being another HPE product should be very straightforward, but there are always issues around that.

We would like to see more integrations and easier integrations. We have other products that we have integrations with, other third-party products, which seem to be straightforward, ALM and JIRA for example. But for integration between HPE products, we would like to see that go a bit more smoothly.

About 12 years.

it's stable. It's been around for a long time. There are no real issues, no defects or anything.

Scalability is good. There are lots of different options ranging from the freely available versions through to Enterprise and Performance Center. And obviously features like StormRunner Load allow you to scale more quickly and effectively.

We've used technical support quite a lot but not so much lately because it's something we're very familiar with, so we tend to manage it. But when we've used it we've been happy with it.

It was a very long time ago. It was complicated only because of the age of the technology then and the infrastructure we had.

Updating, it's something you just have to plan for, but otherwise it was fairly straightforward.

There are various things we haven't been able to test so we're continuously looking at other vendors to complement it. NeoLoad being one, recently. That's it really.

What other advice do I have?

It covers the most technology, is the most reliable, it gives us the most features.

It's not a 10 out of 10 because of the issues with integrations and it's not quite the one solution, the one-part solution for everything.

I don't know if it's really the product's fault but there are products that, later on, I can't test or can't script against or can't replay against and it's just understanding whether that's a limitation of the tool or a limitation of the product. Part that is design as well as trying to actually script against it.

Venu Cherukuri
    Lead Solution Architect at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
    It has helped us identify performance issues well in advance

• "The number of protocols that it supports, and especially, for example, when it talks about SAP GUI-based performance testing."
    • "You should be able to use LoadRunner as a single platform. You should be able to have browser based access. You should be able to run enterprise tests."

What is most valuable?

LoadRunner is one of the most versatile performance testing tools. One thing I really like about LoadRunner is its breadth of coverage. The number of protocols that it supports, and especially, for example, when it talks about SAP GUI-based performance testing. I could not think about any other tool other than LoadRunner. I've also seen LoadRunner evolve over a period of time, in the sense that it addresses new technologies. I would say it's still a very strong product and there's a lot of new products out there.

How has it helped my organization?

Think about the performance testing as a part of the whole of your testing lifecycle. It's our go-to product and that's the only product which we use within the organization right now. Not every project goes through performance testing, but any project that has performance testing is a component of the test lifecycle. It has our de facto standard.

When you think about deploying these applications to production, and our organization being a global company, we have a user footprint across the globe. LoadRunner, along with HPE Envy Network Virtualization: It's a combination where we, not only run business processes in volumes, but also similar to these network conditions, helps us identify some performance issues well in advance. It's one of those risk verifications that we do.

What needs improvement?

One thing I was desiring a few years ago, before StormRunner came in, I was hoping HPE would come out with some of the new tools that are cloud-based, SAS-based performance testing solutions. With StormRunner coming out, it has probably filled that gap.

You should be able to use LoadRunner as a single platform. You should be able to have browser based access. You should be able to run enterprise tests. HPE addressed a little bit of this by taking over the license for the controller and tying it to the load generators. But in an ideal world, just make it a single platform, everything should be like Performance Center.

I've been using LoadRunner as a performance engineer since 2002. That makes it about 15 years now.

It's such a mature product. It's been out there for a very long time. It has come a long way. It's extremely stable in the sense that I can approach the technical support, as an example. It is because we ran into some challenges with program scripting or something, but generally not because of the application crashing. I'd list my experience with LoadRunner as it being a very stable product.

In my previous experience with previous employers working with some retailers, we had to run some extremely large tests, and even at my current company, we go up to about 3000 content users. I think it's fairly scalable. We run very small tests, obviously, with StormRunner. It's can probably scale to much higher levels, but within our boundaries of demands, it's scaled very well.

We use tech support, but not quite often, just when we really run into some problems. We have a really strong internal team, which so a majority of the issues are internally solved. We are either experimenting or knowledge base in everything. We do reach out to tech support, but it's very rarely done (rare cases).

Service depends upon the issue we face. Sometimes we go off on a tangent. It's an exception, but we go down the wrong path. Then, it's a long winding road to the actual resolution. In many cases, if it's a common issue and it's fairly quick, we get pretty good support. I've actually seen both.

In 2002, was the first time I was actually really involved in bringing the tool in. Ever since, I go to new employers, the tool was already there. I help take it to the next level, mature the practice of what not, but again there's only one instance where I really had to bring the tool in, but everywhere else, we already had a tool in place.

Back then, there was no competition. It was the only choice there. After that, whenever I moved companies, the tool was already there. I was involved in the sense of bringing new protocols, new additional licenses, and so on.

I was involved in the initial setup. It's extremely straightforward. I've probably worked on about six or seven different versions, and it's extremely straightforward and fairly simple to setup.

I would still consider LoadRunner as an expensive tool and you get a LoadRunner and the Performance Center.

Once there was situation before StormRunner was out, where we did venture into a tool call. Here I was working for a retailer. We ventured in tool call with SOASTA. We were looking for a cloud-based performance testing solution, and at that time, HPE was not there. Every time I wanted to make a decision, LoadRunner was our default choice and we had nothing else running in contention.

What other advice do I have?

LoadRunner is still my first choice. There's still no competition to LoadRunner. In the sense, there are tools out there. I know without a doubt, very good tools. But again, LoadRunner to me is more versatile and has more breadth of coverage.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• We look at the product itself. In the sense, the stability of the product, etc.
    • In terms of the vendor, we look at the thought leadership and the roadmap. That's something we always look into. Just to see, is the vendor a good investment. For example, are they going to stick around for a long time?
    • We want them to innovate. In the sense, if you think about how quickly the technologies are changing. We want the vendor that we are looking into to focus on innovation.
    it_user739536
    Principal consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    For multithreading, the number of protocols that this particular tool supports has been very good

• "The ability to do multithreading. That's available in any performance testing tool, but the number of protocols that this particular tool supports has been very good."
    • "If the support of the protocols was the same throughout the other protocols and it was there evenly, then I would rate the product higher."

What is most valuable?

The ability to do multithreading. That's available in any performance testing tool, but the number of protocols that this particular tool supports has been very good. The support and the stability of those protocols are amazing. That's why I like LoadRunner.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a performance testing tool. Obviously, performance testing helps with improving your application's performance, maintaining the stability, and the availability of systems. It's very easy to use. Sometimes, in very rare cases, we also use it for functional testing.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the Internet protocols come into LoadRunner because that's the future. Most organizations are going to be heading that way, so I would love to see that added.

The stability: It's the best part of the LoadRunner platform.

It's highly scalable. LoadRunner can connect to any number of agents, and you can have multiple controllers, which is obviously a different licensing model.

We have used the tech support. There are multiple levels of it. Most of our tickets get resolved at the very first layer. Very rarely do we have to escalate the tickets to the R&D, but that hasn't been very often. The product has been working well.

We had to promote performance testing at some clients because they weren't doing anything at all. That was one use case. The second use case was they were developing some other tools, and coming from a stability standpoint and also from a quality pedigree standpoint, LoadRunner stands out. It's very easy to find resources, so it all adds up.

We ended up with LoadRunner because it has a big market share. Our company has been using LoadRunner for over 11 years, although we have used other products as well. But in terms of stability of the product and ease of finding resources, ultimately it comes down to the resources. The clients are going to be the ones using the tool. You're not going to find a lot of resources with the other company performance testing tools and resources are very low on the open source tools, so that's why we pitched LoadRunner.

I have been involved with the initial setup at multiple organizations. Because we are a consulting firm, we go and talk to different bigger organizations and we do their setups as well.

The setup of LoadRunner itself is very straightforward. It's just that different clients provide different hardwares, and that's the hardest part.

Yes, because our clients wanted us to consider other solutions, and that's fair enough. You cannot be biased just on one tool, so yes, we did propose some open source tools as well some licensed tools as well, along with LoadRunner.

Other solutions considered:

• Cecilia, which is primarily a research installation tool, but it also has performance ability.
    • JMeter, on the open source front
    • LoadUI, from SmartBear
    • IBM Green Hat
    • Parasoft

What other advice do I have?

Don't make a blind decision. Don't just say, "Pick LoadRunner, because we are telling you to."

Look at the other solutions as well. I'm pretty sure they will soon enough determine that Loadrunner is the market leader, and there is a good reason for it.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Our company looks for the region and their attention to consider our recommendations in terms of which tools to buy, how to go about testing, and how to avoid testing. You don't want to test too much, as well. These are some of the things. If we get any hints on whether the management is more inclined to work with us. That's what we look for.

it_user94998
    Performance Test Lead at a consultancy with 51-200 employees

• "The capabilities and flexibility of the Controller, the ability to monitor the systems under test, and the comprehensive results Analysis which saves a great deal of time."
    • "More guidance on the use of the Tru Client protocol which is used for Web interfaces."

15 years

LoadRunner generally deploys without issues.

Its a complex product and there are usually a few bugs in the point zero releases, it is generally pretty reliable.

Sometimes the controller can crash, this is usually after opening and closing several scenarios without closing the controller. Closing the controller after a couple of scenarios opened will avoid the problem.

Scalability is great, I have personally used LoadRunner with up to 72,000 virtual users, and 35 load generators.

I don't have recent experience with HPE customer service.

I don't have recent experience with HPE tech support.

I started performance testing with LoadRunner and I'm still using it. I have used other tools, but its the best all rounder.

Initial setup is straightforward as LoadRunner is pretty much standalone and just needs connectivity to the system under test.

I generally implement it myself.

The cost depends greatly on the needs of the testing engagement.

The free community licence (permanent for 50 VUsers) available from Version 12 is very useful. For small tests this is sufficient and there is no licence cost to use it.

The community licence is excellent for training as well, you get full functionality for as long as you like.

What other advice do I have?

Take a good look at your requirements, LoadRunner is the best for those who need a full blown product, or a diverse range of protocols to be tested. However not everyone needs this. There are other products that do parts of what LoadRunner does just as well and cheaper. Because LoadRunner is so widely used, there are many people with LoadRunner experience available, it will be harder to find experience in an alternative tool. There are cheaper and free alternatives, but these generally take longer to set up and use. Often the software licence costs are far less than the professional services cost for a performance testing engagement. The higher cost of a LoadRunner licence will be offset by time saved by using it.

Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has helped our clients to find performance bottlenecks and capacity issues before deployment.

What is most valuable?

• Auto Correlation: It saves time while designing the performance testing scripts.

• Extended Reporting: It saves time in report designing and also, provides the option to select the quantum of information to represent.

How has it helped my organization?

I have performed performance testing for a number of clients using HPE LoadRunner. It has helped them in finding the performance bottlenecks, capacity issues before deployment.

What needs improvement?

The extended features are available but the high pricing is an issue.

I am using HPE LoadRunner for six years.

I have found some stability issues for one of the website. After a number of concurrent users, the web server was unable to handle the load.

I have experienced scalability issues.

HPE provides excellent technical support. The process is lengthy and time- consuming, but the quality is excellent.

I have used Apache JMeter too, but it supports limited protocols. HPE LoadRunner's protocol support is wide.

The initial setup is easy; HPE Documentation is one of the biggest benefits.

The price is a bit high but if you procure the HPE LoadRunner you will get many benefits such as excellent technical support, a wide range of supported protocols, a great document library and easy help from the technical communities for your problems.

We evaluated Apache JMeter.

What other advice do I have?

I will suggest to first understand what is your requirement and then list down the tools available, which can help in delivery. We need to make an appropriate choice by keeping the budget in mind. If pricing is not an issue then choose LoadRunner, else evaluate other options.

it_user567855
    IT Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    We use it to create scripts. It supports a range of technologies, including SAP.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of using it to create scripts and the broad number of technologies supported, including apps, SAP, and everything on the web.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to really reproduce what users are doing in the application, not only as a single button or web service, but in the whole application. This helps us anticipate performance issues in production.

What needs improvement?

• Licenses are too expensive in general.
    • They should remove the location or worldwide licensing fee. It is a special fee that you need to pay when you want to use a LoadRunner controller installed in the UK when you're working from Spain.

It's quite stable.

It is scalable. The biggest we've done is 20,000, but I know it can be done bigger.

I have not used technical support in the past two years. Previously, it was too thick and too heavy to deal with them. They asked a lot of questions without providing solutions.

The initial setup was really straightforward. You just install, make a couple of tests, and everything is connected.

We also considered Neotys and SOASTA.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to use it.

it_user568152
    IT Manager at VINCI Energies
    Before going into production, we use it to validate some transactions, new environments and cloud environments.

What is most valuable?

We use this tool to test loading charges, test the load and to restrict formats.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The reporting feature in this tool needs to be improved. After using it, in my opinion it seems a little complicated in some aspects. They can make that better.

It is stable. It is not always user friendly but it is efficient.

The scalability is fine with us.

It was a long time ago that we installed it.

What other advice do I have?

You must test them on different protocols and on different transactions to see if it is good or not.

Personally, I don't understand HPE’s global strategy, i.e., how to sell the services and so on. It's so different from other companies. Every company includes services and stocks materials. However, in regards to HPE’s strategy it seems to me, that they increase parts and materials and instead stock on services. This is my view of HPE and I need to increase my understanding of their strategy.

The reporting tool isn’t so good. Sometimes, we must hesitate between the different types of protocols to obtain the results. That can seem a bit difficult.

it_user470436
    Monitoring Systems and Performance Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It gives me more flexibility into writing my own code.

Valuable Features

• The custom scripting that it allows me to carry out sections and find my own variables in LoadRunner.
    • I can use True Client, which is also an HP product, but LoadRunner gives me more flexibility in writing my own code.

Improvements to My Organization

We use LoadRunner to script our applications and then run those as synthetic monitoring from BPM. So the BPM are not only proactive if any of our solutions or if any of our applications are down, but also gives us features like the screen capture editor, such as what are we seeing on the webpage while we are seeing on the application. So that kind of synthetic monitoring. We have three data centers, and we have BPM all through the data centers, and isolating and troubleshooting through a data center is helpful with BPM, and LoadRunner is indirectly helping with that.

The stability is good.

We don't use it for performance testing so scalability is artificial for LoadRunner for us.

I don't remember the last time we reached out to tech support.

Other Advice

I'm really happy with what they’re giving me for what I do, but because I don't do performance monitoring or performance testing using LoadRunner, I'm not completely aware of everything else, but for what I do it's a great tool for me.

Do a POC with your own environment and don't rely on the list of capabilities that a solution just gives you doing a demo in your environment. That's what is the key thing for you to decide on what is the solution that you want.

it_user487383
    Senior Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We're able to test standalone from individual machines.

Valuable Features

For me as a user, the flexibility in different protocols and things like that which can be tested with the tool.

Improvements to My Organization

We're able to test standalone from individual machines.

The stability on the old versions is good. On the newer versions, the bleeding edge is still being worked on.

It's very scalable. No issues with scalability.

Premium support is great, but before that when we just had general support, it was not all that great. We had issues with trying to get support to call us back on tickets and turnaround time on resolution.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

We're able to test standalone from individual machines.

It's very scalable. No issues with scalability.

It's not exactly straightforward. Their instructions were not all they could have been, but we still got it installed.

it_user468291
    Senior Manager Assurance Quality, Tests, and Environnements at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Provides us with real data regarding our performance testing.

What is most valuable?

LoadRunner gives us real data regarding our performance testing. It's the way that the tool itself works and the way that we can have information coming from the tools.

The availability and the fact that HPE people want to help is something that I appreciate because they are with us, they try to help, they try to understand what we need and they act accordingly.

How has it helped my organization?

For us it's really used by a specific group of people. It's the efficiency that it gave us to do performance testing and get results rapidly.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be easier to use. I know LoadRunner so I think it's a tool that's difficult to understand. We are working with specialists to help us, but it's difficult to find those resources. They need to simplify a bit the way the tool works.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

It's good but we need to manage exactly what we need from them. Sometimes on the business side it's not clear enough. When it's not clear we don't have the results we need. The next time we need to make sure to correctly define our needs and involve them in that way.

We didn't use any other solution previously.

It's not straightforward because for us it was because it was an upgrade of the infrastructure as well. So at the same time we changed the server, we also changed the infrastructure. It was not because of the product itself, it was more linked to what we needed to do at that time.

it_user471417
    IT QA Test Manager at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Allows us to scale up in order to simulate load on your application.

What is most valuable?

In many scenarios, you have to be able to run or put load on your application, and that's what that product does, and it does it pretty well.

How has it helped my organization?

In the old days, if you wanted to run load on your application, you would send out an email to 20 people, and you're all trying to do a load on an application. It allows you to scale up hundreds-thousands of users in order to simulate that.

What needs improvement?

I think it needs to have better reporting. After you do all the load, you really want good reporting.

We've had no issues with the stability.

You scale up based on the amount of load that you want to put on your application. No problem there. They have really good products, and I'm looking forward to the next project, HPE Agile Manager.

Not directly through HPE. We go through HPE's vendor partner, which is Checkpoint Technologies, and they provide excellent technical support.

We used JMeter which is open source, same problem though - reporting is open source. Zero support because it's open source. When we ran into a problem, no help from JMeter. That's why we moved to using LoadRunner.

We have our license pool with 100 concurrent users. I like the concurrent license model. I don't have any problem scaling.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you take into consideration how much overhead LoadRunner is adding to the load.

IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Cost effective performance validation tool

Valuable Features:

Powerful scripting tool to best record user actions programmatically. Flexible and versatile scripting engine to extend tests with success-failure checks, thus making testing more intelligent. Ramping of many concurrent users to make the most representative testing possible. Integration of external measurements in test scenario's. Extensive vendor documentation and help system included. Extensive experience and support on various fora, blogs and many other support resources. Good availability of expertise in the form of programmers and hardcore testers.

Room for Improvement:

Complexity. LoadRunner is not simple to learn by installing it and "doing it". Especially when using different data sources to do cross measurements of system performance. Performance testing with a tool like this requires planning and skilled resources. Fortunately these are easily acquired these days.

Price. I've used LoadRunner for performance testing purposes for a number of years on various projects and I've always been impressed by the versatility and plain power of this testing tool. LoadRunner's scripting engine is very flexible and the fact that it's able to quickly and easily simulate hundreds of concurrent users makes it the performance testing tool of choice for years running. LR is constantly updated and improved to cope with a changing world.

Use of Solution:

10 years

Other Advice:

HP offers extensive documentation and support services to help its customer base. True, the product costs a few bucks more than the (open source) alternatives like Neoload, QA Load and others, but in my opinion you get a solid performance test in return (if properly executed of course).

Performance Test Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    HP LoadRunner is a powerful tool for performance testing. It supports lots of protocols and is intuitive.

Valuable Features

Language Support Analysis Monitoring

Improvements to My Organization

It expedites the process of creating test scripts

Room for Improvement

Network monitoring

Use of Solution

5 years

Customer Service: Excellent Technical Support: Good.

Little complex

JMeter

Valuable Features

Language Support
    Analysis
    Monitoring

Improvements to My Organization

It expedites the process of creating test scripts

Room for Improvement

Network monitoring

Use of Solution

5 years

Excellent

Good.

Little complex

JMeter

it_user348147
    Senior Test Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It helped our organization run successful performance testing cycles and identify the bottlenecks of the application. We'd like to implement it to do load testing in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

It is very strong in providing load testing solutions. It provides a lot of protocol support and its reporting utility is very good. Also, the virtual user generation, controllers, and analyses are good.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped our organization to run successful performance testing cycles and to identify the bottlenecks of the application. It helped the clients run their application successfully and smoothly.

What needs improvement?

We would like to be able to implement the tool in such a way that load testing can also be done in the cloud.

We've used it for four years.

There was an issue that I faced with different versions of the controller and Performance Center. They should have been of the same version.

I didn't have many stability issues. The tool is very stable as you just need to check what protocols you want to test.

No issues encountered.

Customer support is good, and the turnaround time for requests is very fast. Also, they have created a forum where experts will help you without creating a ticket.

8/10

I used JMeter and Oracle Application Testing Suite as well, but according to our client’s wish we went for this solution.

It is straightforward. You just have to go through the read-me document and installation guide provided along with the software.

We did it in-house.

I would say it is true value for the money.

The license cost is much more compared to other tools available, but it will give you a complete package for load testing your application.

I evaluated JMeter and Oracle Application Testing Suite, but this proved better than those.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for customer satisfaction, you can simply go and get it.

it_user368079
    Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides us with all the protocols we need in one solution as we test many different commercially available tools.

Valuable Features

The feature we've found most valuable for us is the number of protocols available. We test many different commercially available tools or Java applications that prep to Zero OpenJDK, SAP, etc. But we've found that LoadRunner is the only solution that makes all protocols available in one tool. That's the number one benefit for us apart from its monitoring and analytics.

Improvements to My Organization

We're a testing department and LoadRunner is a business enabler. Without it, we wouldn't be able to make any money.

Room for Improvement

The look and feel of StormRunner is very modern and simple to use. If could be a huge improvement if LoadRunner could be the same.

Use of Solution

We've been using it since 2002.

The deployment of LoadRunner is issue-free.

Stability depends on what happens during a test. Generally, LoadRunner is quite stable, but sometimes when a test is running, the system will abort it prior to completion even though the results are still accessible.

It also depends on what you want to do with LoadRunner. If you have your own application and you want to load test it, then LoadRunner works fine. But if, like us, you work with customers' applications, you may need more functionalities which LoadRunner may not have.

We're a pretty large department within our company. We have an enterprise license agreement and can simply get more licenses if we need more controllers.

Technical support is challenging. We have premier support for ALM and Performance Center, and we usually get inexperienced engineers when we contact tech support. They always ask for log files. We've been using HP tools for over 10 years and we can fix most problems ourselves. But, if we can't, we have to contact R&D, but that's too long a wait for us to get resolution of our issues.

it_user363321
    Director at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    It includes protocols which support our business requirements, such as Java, HTTP, and Citrix.

Valuable Features

It's got a lot of protocols that support all our business requirements, such as Java, HTTP, and Citrix. It gives us one tool that supports all this technology.

Improvements to My Organization

We don't have to work on another platform as we only have to learn one tool. There's a lot of information, help, and best practices available. It's a market-leading tool so there are lots of people with knowledgeable experience. Our employees are productive from day one.

Because we're a telecommunications company with millions of subscribers, we run very high volume tests for 24-48 hours. LoadRunner has been very, very stable during these tests and has gotten us results. It gives us expert diagnoses of our tests with very detailed, in-depth analyses.

Room for Improvement

We'd like for it to incorporate a tool for ordering module that would work with our proprietary in-house ordering module scripting protocol.

We have no issues with deployment.

It's very stable.

It scales very, very well.

They're very good. We have issues, we contact them, and they help us solve the issues.

Setup was very straightforward. We installed, applied the licenses, and started using it.

Other Solutions Considered

There is Neotys NeoLoad and SOASTA CloudTest, but LoadRunner is the best.

Other Advice

I would definitely recommend using LoadRunner. Use the latest two client protocols for object scripting.

Test Automation Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It allows us the ability to simulate multiple uses at the same time.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature of LoadRunner is its ability to simulate multiple uses at the same time. That's the most important thing and the primary reason I use it.

Improvements to My Organization

I don't believe that there are any other good tools for performance testing. It's either use LoadRunner for performance testing or don't do performance testing at all.

Room for Improvement

We have a lot of issues right now with the Citrix client, so this should be improved.

Deployment has been fine.

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability is not that important for LoadRunner since we don't have many people working on it at the same time.

Quite good, though sometimes it depends on who you’re dealing with. Sometimes you have bad luck and get a guy who doesn't know much about it, is new, or is in training, but most of the time technical support is fine.

It was rather easy and you can do it yourself.

Other Solutions Considered

For functional testing, we look for alternatives sometimes, especially for the execution part.

Other Advice

I don't think there's a better product for all systems.

Project Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    It supports Citrix and SAP protocols, which is very helpful for our clients to understand bottlenecks if there are any on their network, though it should support GWT and mobile testing.

What is most valuable?

• It allows you to create your own customized code.
    • It provides an analysis report after running a test scenario.
    • It supports maximum protocols.
    • It's user-friendly.

How has it helped my organization?

It generates reports in a format that's very easy to understand for both our own internal use and other audiences. It supports Citrix and SAP protocols, which is very helpful for our clients to understand bottlenecks if there are any on their network.

What needs improvement?

It should support GWT and mobile testing, including network virtualization.

I've used it for eight years.

We didn't encounter any issues during deployment.

We haven't encountered any stability issues.

We haven't encountered any issues while scaling.

I'd say that customer service is not good.

Technical support is also not good.

I used NeoLoad, but it does not support Citrix, so we chose LoadRunner.

Initial setup was not that difficult.

We did the implementation through an in-house team.

My advice is for you to have a load generator machine that has a good configuration for handling large volumes of users.

It is very costly, but LoadRunner works perfectly. It fits our needs in the way we use it, but you should make sure your use justifies the cost.

What other advice do I have?

We have only web-based services, mobile testing in scope, and the user load is maximum 1000, so we could have used NeoLoad, but there were lots of other factors in switching.

it_user323586
    Quality Assurance Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We're able to identify performance problems in the test environment before they occur in production. But while it's a mature tool, it doesn't provide integration with a monitoring tool.

What is most valuable?

I consider all features valuable (Load Generator, VuGen, Agent Process, Analysis), but Controller is the most valuable for me.

How has it helped my organization?

It's helped my organization to identify performance problems in the test environment before they occur in production.

What needs improvement?

It's a very mature tool. Still, if they provided integration with a monitoring tool it would be great.

I've been using it for six years.

4/5

4/5

I previously used MS VSTS and JMETER. I would recommend LoadRunner as it is user friendly and has support for many protocols.

It was straightforward.

Implementation was easy.

Pricing is the only thing which make people think many times before purchasing this product.

No other options were evaluated.

it_user285924
    Sr. Performance Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    I've seen Stability and Scalability improve with each release. I appreciate that documentation is readily available.

Valuable Features

There are actually some cool features in LoadRunner where we can have multiple users at the same time. Some of the help features in the communities, what HP has are pretty good. We have quick turnaround time for the support as well, sometimes. It is helping our application to performance test and load test. I didn't use much of the tools, and have been using these tools since eight, nine years now, so I'm more into that. I see HP is constantly improving the features of the tool.

Improvements to My Organization

We have the manpower, the resources. One of the thing which I realized is let's say if you have another tool which is equal or there are more comparable abilities, but it's kind of hard to get resources for those tools who are skilled. I see a bunch of resources easily available in the market for LoadRunner and HP products and I feel like this could be possible because it's kind of industry leader in the testing tools or something.

There are a lot of people using LoadRunner I can say that. The issues what we get from doing performance testing, some of the issues are not specific to tool, but because we have such a huge community in HP tools we kind of get some solutions easily from the outside world as well in the communities I guess.

Room for Improvement

The demo that I've seen today, it sounds pretty cool but it still has some limitations I guess. They thought it is only limited to web and mobile right now, and it's currently not supported for all the products of what we have in performance center. We'll all have to wait and see how they come up with full version of the features.

I would like to see the features what they are saying in the demo for StormRunner, if they can have the features of Performance Center and LoadRunner combined, put it in StormRunner, that would be awesome because StormRunner looks pretty good the way they are explaining, it's like all one stop shop where you can just manage everything from one webpage but it's not complete, it doesn't look like it's complete. If we can get all those other features included in the new one, then that would be awesome.

I believe it's good. When it first started I didn't realize it was so good, but over the years I'm seeing that it's getting more and more stable. It looks like HP is putting some efforts to make it more stable.

Scalability, I think with the previous versions maybe I was not sure but the new version which I'm seeing, and the cool features what they are showing off, I think scalability is very good, you could scale up the tool within no time.

It's on and off at times, depends on what tech guy you are working with. Some of them I find very technical strong and they were able to help, but it has to go through some processes. You have a basic layer and if it's not resolvable there, it goes to the next level so it has a process, which may take some time.

Other Advice

I'm involved in catering the needs of my company's performance testing for all the applications. We use a variety of HP products but our team, where I'm concerned more is HP LoadRunner. We are also upgrading into Performance Center as we speak. We are more into HP LoadRunner.

LoadRunner has easy usability right now, and it's pretty much documented on the features, and has a how-to-do use of videos, learning materials. It's easy to use once you have some basic training and you can get along easily. It will give your company return of investment I believe if you're in invest in it.

CEO at Infuse Consulting
    We use it along with Performance Center and other tools in delivering performance engineering services.

What is most valuable?

The breadth of protocol support means that you can get LoadRunner (and its sister product Performance Center) to test almost any application with useful built-in functions. The programmable scripts allow for the creation of sophisticated reliable and robust frameworks and scripts. The API potentially allows you to extend the tool to support applications that it cannot support, but how to do this is not well documented or supported.

The analysis capability is simply best of breed as it allows you to take data from any source and correlate it with your results. In other tools, analysis is more problematic and therefore a bit of a black art.

How has it helped my organization?

We use LoadRunner and its sister product Performance Center as two of the key pieces in our corporate tool kit along with other tools in delivering performance engineering services. Some of our customers insist on using this, and for them, it has helped administer payroll, deliver luggage in airports, and enabled them to support tax returns.

At Infuse, we have integrated such tools very early into early performance validation at the unit test level. This enables our customers to find defects early on in development, and combined with performance modelling in design, enables them to fix performance issues early and cheaply.

What needs improvement?

HP as a company has been slow to move to support modern technologies e.g. Oracle ADF. HP took a long time to support the protocol. The support could be better.

I have, as a performance engineer, been using LoadRunner since 1999, in multiple different versions. As a business we have been using it since 2002, and it features in around 80% of our performance engineering assignments along with other tools.

The tool itself is very easy to set up and install the various components. 90% of the time there are no deployment issues. The biggest issue really, is setting up the connections from the load generators to the controller component. However, these are are normally network related issues that, with the correct input from the network/infrastructure team, can quickly be resolved.

No, the application is very robust. The only time issues are experienced is when it is running for extra-long period soak tests, e.g. for 24 hours. Then, only on odd occasions, does the system sometimes experience issues with results files, which become corrupt. Usually this is because of issues during the test with the AUT causing very large results files being generated.

No, the application is scalable. Additional load testing capacity can be added quickly and easily by adding another load generator. Also, some GUI based scripting protocols such as TruClient do utilize large amounts of memory and CPU power, which needs to be planned for carefully if running tests over long periods with lots of users.

Average, to occasionally good, but no better.

HP LoadRunner technical support is adequate, with implementation issues and functional problems that may arise. However, it doesn’t include scripting support, but there is a wealth of information on numerous public forums regarding LoadRunner to assist most technical issues which helps.

As an independent vendor we use JMeter, The Grinder and Oracle Application Tool Suite’s load test module, but all of these tools don’t have the breadth of supporting protocols and so are not always suitable for our client’s applications and systems being tested. They are also sub-optimal from an analysis perspective, but do a good job.

The setup for LoadRunner is straightforward as the installations are via wizards, and this makes them quick and easy. Make sure though, that the instructions are followed as written, and be aware that virus detection software can adversely affect the installation. The most complex area is in ensuring connectivity between the load generators and the controller, which may involve firewall changes as load generator machines should be located where the users are situated or externally on the cloud. The complexity is often getting permissions from the IT support teams and explaining what you are doing rather than changing the firewall itself and setting it up. It requires good communication skills.

We implement it ourselves.

Considering the performance issues that we have found and prevented moving into production on client sites is enough to show that there is a positive ROI with the tool. This is despite the initial expense, as assets produced can be re-used on each implementation reducing the cost for subsequent releases.

The set up costs depend on the protocol type (there are standard and premium types), the number of virtual users being simulated, the terms, and the number of, load generator machines that are needed. Then there is an annual support maintenance fee that allows for free upgrade and access to the support functions.

We would evaluate all the tools on the market for a customer before making a recommendation. We do an evaluation based on the customers dynamics/culture, budget, and delivery methodology, and then offer our client a choice.

Other tools though don’t provide the breadth of support for different protocols and so this tool is limited to the applications it compatible with. It also has more basic reporting and analysis features. But then other tools are also generally cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

it is a best of breed product with some minor frustrations around product support.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Infuse is a HP Gold Business Partner and HP Gold Partner of the Year 2014. Infuse is an Oracle Gold Partner
    IT Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Truclient Ajax makes it a strong web Performance tool.

Valuable Features:

Truclient Ajax

Improvements to My Organization:

Scripting for web is faster and easier

Use of Solution:

1 year

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Yes, Remote Load Generators has issues in identifying objects on dynamic web pages

Valuable Features:

Truclient Ajax

Improvements to My Organization:

Scripting for web is faster and easier

Use of Solution:

1 year

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Performance Tester/QA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    One of the best performance testing tools available but expensive and time consuming

What is most valuable?

It is one of the best performance testing tools available. It supports many protocols and technologies. It can be integrated with many systems.

How has it helped my organization?

These features have helped a lot in improving the performance and scalability of application. Moreover, they have improved our brand value.

What needs improvement?

Takes lots of time in scripting which can be improved; The scripts are generally not reusable with change-in build; Does not support MAC OS.

I have been using this solution for three years.

We encountered issues with stability -- the system hangs many times.

Yes licensing cost is too much for Load Runner to scale it to more virtual users.

Customer Service: I'd rate the customer service 3.5 out of 5.Technical Support: The technical support was a 3 out of 5.

What other advice do I have?

It's good to use LoadRunner if you have lots of money and time. It’s really good but expensive and time consuming.
    Performance Tester/QA at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Overall LoadRunner is a good tool to use, but it’s quite expensive and complex to script at times.

What is most valuable?

Available protocols

What needs improvement?

Scripting should be simpler, it becomes very complex many times.

3 years

Customer Service: 7 out of 10Technical Support: 5 out of 10

No, but I have evaluated many other solutions.

Not very long.

What is most valuable?

Available protocols

What needs improvement?

Scripting should be simpler, it becomes very complex many times.

3 years

Customer Service: 7 out of 10Technical Support: 5 out of 10

No, but I have evaluated many other solutions.

Not very long.
    it_user98394
    Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Analysis tool is of great value to me. Initial setup straightforward.

Valuable Features

Analysis tool

Improvements to My Organization

LoadRunner helped identify bottlenecks during the testing phase in several instances especially before launch of major projects.

Use of Solution

5 years

The load generators make use of all available NIC to send traffic. Some NICs on a machine were not configured for external access, hence causing http requests to fail.

Occasionally it crashed when it had to crunch large amounts of data.

Customer Service: Very poorTechnical Support: Strictly ok

Valuable Features

Analysis tool

Improvements to My Organization

Use of Solution

5 years

Occasionally it crashed when it had to crunch large amounts of data.

Customer Service: Very poorTechnical Support: Strictly ok
    it_user92376
    IT Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    By measuring performance and identifying bottlenecks, we have reduced costs, minimized testing and deployment times
    My company needed a better way to introduce new applications and update existing software releases efficiently. Our past system hindered us from delivering new products and services quickly. To maintain rapid business growth, we realized that seeing the entire IT process during such projects was essential. We required appropriate testing tools to assess processes, manage change, determine application performance, resolve problems and improve defect visibility. We wanted to move away from simply dealing with defect management and introduce a new testing regime with a sound methodology. We needed well designed testing processes, the correct software tools to support requests and a quality platform for test management and release. My company researched the market and approached…

We wanted to move away from simply dealing with defect management and introduce a new testing regime with a sound methodology. We needed well designed testing processes, the correct software tools to support requests and a quality platform for test management and release. My company researched the market and approached several software specialists including HP. To evaluate proposed solutions, we presented each vendor with several testing scenarios. We liked the adaptability, ease-of-use and reporting capabilities of the HP Software solution.

The HP solution comprises a comprehensive package of software tools to help us reduce risk, lower cost and increase real-time visibility – key business drivers within the financial services industry. HP QuickTest Professional offers us automated functional and regression testing to lower the time, risk and cost associated with application testing, whilst HP Project and Portfolio Management Center provides real-time visibility and control over IT projects that are important to our business strategy.

To decrease problem resolution times, we deployed HP Service Manager 7, a comprehensive and fully integrated IT Service Desk suite containing seven foundation components, a Help Desk and a Change Management module. Moreover, HP Quality Center, a web-based application, accelerated the application lifecycle by presenting consistent, repeatable processes for planning tests, analyzing results and managing defects.

In addition, before we introduce a new application or upgrade a release, we utilize HP LoadRunner to detect potential performance problems within the production environment. By measuring end-to-end performance along with identifying application and system bottlenecks, we have reduced costs by 31 per cent and minimized application testing and deployment times.

With the introduction of the HP Software solution, the analysts and developers in our IT department have witnessed a transformation of the company’s testing methodology. We now have a comprehensive testing environment which previously lacked scope. Quality management, quality assurance and defect management have improved significantly, and application performance issues are readily resolved.

We estimate that IT efficiency has improved 24 percent. A recent return on investment study looking into the deployment of HP Quality Center indicates that over the last three years we have saved approximately $6.75 million. Moreover, annual quality management process efficiency estimates stand at $1.26 million and the annual financial benefit of avoiding application support costs is at least $820,000. With this dynamic HP solution, the number of defects resolved over a three day period increased to 44 per cent and problem resolution times have fallen by 60 per cent.

Disclosure: IT Central Station has made contact with the reviewer to validate that the person is a real user. The information in the posting is based upon a vendor-supplied case study, but the reviewer has confirmed the content's accuracy.
    it_user97128
    QA Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    We evaluated other options but decided to stay with LoadRunner because of the depth & breadth of the protocols available

Valuable Features

The feature I find most valuable is the ability to find performance issues before putting a new application live.

Improvements to My Organization

LoadRunner is the standard choice for performance testing before any critical applications are allowed to go live, preventing any performance issues.

Room for Improvement

LoadRunner is a well-rounded, polished tool – but it does need more improvement when it comes to it application of load, more flexibility mid-test would be nice.

Use of Solution

Since 1999

Customer Service: The Customer Service is good, the sales guys are not overly aggressive to sell, as the product does sell itself.Technical Support: The Technical Support is OK. It’s not as good as the Pre-HP acquisition days at Mercury.

LoadRunner runs an automated install which is quite simple.

Implementation Team

LoadRunner was installed in house.

Other Advice

Research your strategic requirements. Think long term, it WILL work out cheaper. LoadRunner is not a tactical solution.
    it_user49908
    Architect at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Excellent load testing capabilities & reports. Quick visibility focusing in on a problem area is extremely helpful.
    The main reason that we decided to implement LoadRunner was because of our serious lack of insight into exactly where flaws were stemming from when a problem arose or how we could fix those problems earlier and more efficiently in the future. When a problem was found, solutions could only be given after the fact, making the losses bigger and causing more damage than necessary. We needed to increase our awareness of the challenges and issues that could come up before they arose, or at least catch the problems faster than we currently were, in order to tackle them properly. As the company grew and our infrastructure increased, the task of testing and debugging our entire system transformed into a colossal and costly problem. Our service, which includes providing healthcare and…

As the company grew and our infrastructure increased, the task of testing and debugging our entire system transformed into a colossal and costly problem. Our service, which includes providing healthcare and insurance services to a wide range of patients and clients, was becoming inefficient as well, making the need for in-house testing of our various software flaws urgent.

LoadRunner seemed to be an obvious solution since it recreates real life scenarios on a virtual plane in order to test the performance rate, speed, efficacy and functionality of the system during those actual situations. In this way, we could easily pinpoint problem areas, bugs and other flaws to the system prior to the real time launch, avoiding tremendous issues from ever arising.

We tried out three different virtual assessment products concurrently. Each of these products was tested in a wide range of areas that were either commonly known to be problem areas or were considered to be of great importance to remain problem-free. Some included:

• Secure systems
    • Overall system substructure
    • Performance speed and accuracy

The system that came out as superior during the testing was HP LoadRunner, and we purchased the package immediately upon reviewing the results of the trials. This choice was made primarily for the software’s extensive capabilities, though HP’s greater overall presence within the technology field also contributed to the ultimate decision.

Installing LoadRunner was an uncomplicated procedure, needing no third party or outsourced services or tools. The successful implementation of this software led to the acquisition of some 250 licenses from the onset and an additional 1500 in subsequent months.

We proposed a three-year window to view the results and overall ROI of the product. To our surprise, LoadRunner provided positive effects even faster than we would have expected in a real and tangible example as described below:

One of the portals that our company used for selling various insurance packages and products developed major issues. As a result, brokers were losing sales because of the inaccessibility of their services. With the use of HP LoadRunner, the entire issue was simulated, examined and solved within a week of the initial symptoms. The software actually paid for itself within that first month simply due to the efficient manner in which the problem was able to be recreated, analyzed and dealt with.

Other members of the staff also found the product to be more effective and easier to work with due to the alacrity and smooth, automatic functions that were performed. As a result of these faster protocols, team members were able to meet strict deadlines that were otherwise unrealistic prior to theLoadRunner implementation.

The load testing capabilities and efficient performance were rated as the most integral aspects of this software, though the adeptness at getting to the core of the issue was a very close second.

Other features that people found generally helpful were the reports and the quick visibility focusing in on a problem area. Using HP LoadRunner in combination with the SiteScope software from HP has made all of these inevitable mishaps easier to deal with in a timely manner.

Our use of LoadRunner has become a standardized process, a part of our regular routine. The software is repeatedly used to discover the source of a problem when code freezes pop up. What is more, the usage of these tools is not limited to IT techs; everyone from the developers to quality assurance and even management is actively using this software to hone in on the problem areas and solve the issues quickly.

HP LoadRunner has been a gateway into the implementation of other invaluable HP tools such as Application Lifecycle Management products. In general, there has been a vast improvement to the performance and output of the company since the use of this product has been initiated, and everyone has seen positive results in the form of fewer problems, greater visibility and faster response times to issues that will come through. Having a central database for problem solving tools and resources has also contributed to the efficacy of our staff individually and as a team.

it_user68019
    Head of Development at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    What’s new in LoadRunner 11.52 ?
    On 12th June at HP Discover, I attended one of lecture sessions led by Shane Evans and Silvia Siquiera. During the presentation, they introduced the new features of LoadRunner 11.52. They started the presentation by introducing the new features that came in LoadRunner 11.50 (last year) and then highlighted the features that had been added since then. Key new features: Improved application performance (particularly VuGen startup and Analysis). Integration with HP Live network. (HP Live network connects partners customers etc.) Replay summary report displays detailed statistics. Improved run time settings interface. Can now configure round robin ramp up across load generators. Integration with Visual studio and eclipse for agile CI/CD. Support…

Key new features:

• Improved application performance (particularly VuGen startup and Analysis).
    • Integration with HP Live network. (HP Live network connects partners customers etc.)
    • Replay summary report displays detailed statistics.
    • Improved run time settings interface.
    • Can now configure round robin ramp up across load generators.
    • Integration with Visual studio and eclipse for agile CI/CD.
    • Support for Junit, nUnit and Selenium in LR scenarios.
    • LR scenarios as part of unit testing.
    • Can add performance tests as build steps in Jenkins.
    • VTS 2 is a big feature.
    • Mobile traffic recording apps for Android.*
    • New, improved proxy recording feature.
    • Shunra network virtualisation enhancements, a single load generator can now simulate different network types simultaneously e.g. some users on 3G, others on DSL etc. this removes the requirement to have a load generator for each “network type”.
    • Additional support for Linux load generators (different Linux versions).
      (This alone could be a reason to migrate to 11.52, Linux load generators can significantly reduce license costs for your test equipment).

*Whilst the new mobile recording engine is useful, I can’t help but feel that HP has scored an “own goal” in marketing terms. A number of their competitors are making lots of noise about their ability to test mobile applications and this announcement implies that HP are only just getting their act together on mobile testing. HP has been able to test mobile (and many other) applications via a proxy recorder for as long as I can remember and I’ve been using LoadRunner since 1999. This is new proxy recording engine undoubtedly makes scripting easier but it isn’t their first foray into mobile testing and their competitors are disingenuous if they try to make that claim.

Future trends
    64-bit VuGen
    One customer asked about whether HP had any plans for 64-bit VuGen or Load Generators. Shane Evans said that they didn’t perceive particular demand for this especially since load generators could each spawn multiple 2GB processes for load generation but that they would consider this if there was sufficient customer demand.

This question prompted a few others and one customer asked whether dcripting languages other than C were being considered. Shane said that JavaScript was being considered as a possible scripting language. This could pave the way towards using NoJS as a test engine.

Network simulation
    The discussion then moved to network simulation and Shane asked the room whether people were using network simulation tools like Shunra or WANEM as part of their tests. Only 2 people in an audience of approximately 90 were using network simulation tools.

Diagnostics tools
    Only one customer was using HP diagnostics and two or three others were using Dynatrace or other diagnostics/profiling tools like Wily Introscope. I would be very surprised if network simulation and application diagnostics weren’t significant growth areas for specialist testers in the coming years. These products add significant value to testing engagements and are becoming more important as users become more mobile and applications are increasingly hosted on virtual platforms where performance optimisation is more important.

VTS2 – Virtual Table Server
    Shane then did a small demonstration of VTS2. I was a big advocate of the original VTS (virtual table server) and since it’s demise I’ve looked at various ways of managing test data in scripts (such as using MySQL) . VTS was always an unsupported add-on (originally written by Mercury engineers) to allow parameters to be passed from script to script. This worked well but had a number of limitations. As well as being “technically” unsupported, the database had to be loaded with parameters from a CSV file before tests and you had to remember to save the “database” to a file each time that you shut it down.

VTS2 doesn’t have these limitations. It is based on the MongoNoSQL database and can handle up to 2000 txns/sec easily (I can’t wait to try this properly). Media for VTS2 comes with LoadRunner 11.52 or is downloadable from HP SSO.

LoadRunner 12.0 ?
    Silvia mentioned the fact that there were so many new features, some people within HP felt that this could merit a new major version number rather than simply adding 0.02 to the last release. This reminded me of Stuart Moncrieff’s summary of 11.50 last year. Having seen the new features, I think that she’s probably right, LoadRunner 12.0 and Performance Center 12.0 are probably already here :)

it_user4761
    QA Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Helps us prevent performance problems by detecting bottlenecks...
    LOADRUNNER helps prevent performance problems by detecting bottlenecks before a system deployment or upgrade. HP LoadRunner performance testing software helps you test a broad range of applications.