Micro Focus Network Node Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus Network Node Manager is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Network Management Applications. It is most often compared to SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager: Micro Focus Network Node Manager vs SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager

What is Micro Focus Network Node Manager?
Network Node Manager is network management software that unifies fault, availability, and performance monitoring to helps you improve network uptime and performance, and increase responsiveness to business needs.

Micro Focus Network Node Manager is also known as Network Node Manager, HPE Network Node Manager.

Download the Network Management Applications Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Micro Focus Network Node Manager Customers
T-Mobile, Retegal, Sentara Healthcare
Micro Focus Network Node Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus Network Node Manager pricing:
  • "I wasn't involved in the pricing, but I think it's quite expensive."
  • "We don't have any issues with the pricing."
  • "The solution is priced mid-range compared to the competition."

Micro Focus Network Node Manager Reviews

Prem Raj
Technical Consultant / IT Architect at Alpha Data
MSP
Has the ability to carry out customized polling for certain parameters, so that is an add-on to enable a customer to utilize it efficiently

• "You can utilize the main file from various vendors for integration."
  • "The resources utilized could be a bit higher, and that is one of the challenges that isn't optimized"

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for network monitoring, switches, routers, firewalls, all kinds of network equipment you can utilize for monitoring. It allows for multiple integrations for SNP purposes. There are many different use cases for the utilization of the product.

I'm an IT architect and technical consultant and we partner with Micro Focus. I've dealt with over 1,000 customers who use the product and each organization has multiple customers and multiple users across multiple regions, in the Middle East, India, and other countries. The product is used mainly by IT managers and IT admins.

It's quite a robust tool for network monitoring solutions. It has gradually evolved over time from a long initial stage to now where it's a very high scale product. It's good for the small tier enterprise role of infrastructure and handling, it's capable of handling multiple nodes and has global architecture - it's quite a good product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can utilize the main file from various vendors for integration. In addition, you can carry out customized polling for certain parameters, so that is an add-on to enable a customer to utilize it efficiently.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, I would say that the resources utilized could be a bit higher, and that is one of the challenges that isn't optimized to my expectations.

For additional features that could be included, I have nothing to suggest for now. Things are going well. It's really a classic model. If it's moved over to cloud then it could definitely become a living giant in the market.

I've been working on this platform for more than nine years.

The product is quite stable. There were some initial issues with that aspect. It was taken care of by the respective OAM which took some time but is now much better.

The product is scalable and can be pre-defined during deployment. It can also be scaled and enhanced later. If you take precautions and take into consideration what your needs will be in two or three years, the setups can be predefined and save you time. It could be done later but there would be an additional cost.

I have a lot of experience with technical support, both directly and indirectly. I have premium support with the company so I've been in touch with everyone and know them. Premium support is quite good. You get all the support you need immediately, but if you rely on standard support it's not as efficient and it can take time. It can be a cumbersome process. It's worthwhile to take the premium support.

I've previously used other in-house tools as well as some managing engines, but none of them are as efficient as the Micro Focus products. The company was formerly owned by HP and it now has a network with Micro Focus. Of course, HP is a very well-known brand across the globe and that increases the trust factor for the customer.

The initial setup is not straightforward. Deployment demands a certain amount of expertise and requires a consultant or someone with hands-on experience to deploy the product. It can be deployed as a stand-alone, or as part of a global network management setup. Assistance from consultants or integrators is needed.

What other advice do I have?

It's important for the customer to understand his own requirements so that he can make the right decision because this network node manager has multiple components. Whether it's network monitoring, reporting, IP telephoning, or MPLS VPN. There are a lot of extensive packs available. The customer also needs to think about their requirements based on the product extension packs and how they would be deployed. These are things that need to be taken into consideration.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Muhammad-Bilal
Sr. Technical Analyst software services at Multilynx
Mature product but some basic requirements are missing

• "If you install one node on Network Node Manager and want to scale it up, it's pretty easy to create more nodes."
  • "The way the solution currently works means I'm not able to customize my own reports."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and deploy in multiple locations such as banks and commercial organizations which have larger networks with 200 and sometimes 2,000 or 3,000 devices. Some of our customers have network teams of 25 to 30 but most have less than that, usually anywhere between five to 20 people. Most are IT admins, IT managers and workers in IT departments.

What needs improvement?

The network phase in the product could be improved. Other tools such as SolarWinds have real-time bandwidth, and they can calculate bandwidth in MBs, which means something. But Micro Focus Network Node Manager always watches bandwidth. With Micro Focus, bandwidth utilization networks always show in bytes. It makes it difficult for the end-user to calculate. Micro Focus needs to offer customized dashboards. The reporting is very complex. It's not simple.

As a network person, I want to see the top end network devices, who is using maximum bandwidth or who is using maximum MB. It only requires a very simple graphic, a simple dashboard that I have customized myself. I would prefer to deploy SolarWinds or PRTG.
Unfortunately, our company only deploys Micro Focus.

Additional features that could be included would be customizing some simple features like dashboard support. They also need to upgrade their level of support and focus on their customers. That's what's important.

We've been using the product for seven or eight years.

The solution is very stable. Once it's configured properly, stability and maintenance are stable and there are no issues with performance.

I'm very satisfied with the scalability because for scalability purposes we don't need to buy multiple hardware. If you install one node on Network Node Manager and want to scale it up, it's pretty easy to create more nodes.

We are very dissatisfied with the technical support. We have multiple demands and even the engineers are not satisfied. It used to be better but recently it's been a problem. I think they focus mainly on network calls. They're not always available due to the different time zones of different customers. It can take a few hours to resolve issues. As a result, I assume that in the coming years, Micro Focus will have less share of the market. Technical support should be improved.

Initial setup is complex so it's better to install with the help of integrators or consultants. We are working on Microsoft Windows and also in Linux. On Windows, it's very simple, you just press control P and you can print out your devices. But on the Linux, it's quite tough.

What other advice do I have?

Micro Focus is a very mature product but some basic requirements are missing and there are services that they don't offer. For example, I'm an end-user. The way the solution currently works means I'm not able to customize my own reports.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, IBM, Broadcom and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SI
PM at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Good stability, quite mature, and capable of having all network devices in a single place

• "It's quite a mature solution."
  • "Right now, we have open tickets and they are not closing as expected."

What is most valuable?

We are able to have all network devices in a single place in order to send the alerts to an umbrella tool (Service Now).

The stability is quite good.

It's quite a mature solution.

What needs improvement?

Technically speaking, I'm facing some issues when monitoring Barracuda firewalls. There is some room for improvement in this area.

The documentation for the initial/upgrade setup present errors sometimes.

This product has been used in our company for ten years, I suppose, however, I have been personally using it only for two or three years.

Regarding stability, we don't face any issues. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

From the very beginning until now, we deployed to two servers in a fail over environment. Therefore, I can't really speak to the scalability of the product.

Technical support could be much better and work much faster.

Typically, is taking some time so solve tickets. If involving a higher level expert is needed, you should wait.

The initial setup is somewhere in between. It's both not so easy, and also not so complex. We have the Linux version. Some years ago we had physical servers and we migrated to virtual ones.

There were some issues and we opened some tickets, however, in the end, they were solved. It's just that there are a few key steps that need to be handled carefully during installation. You need documentation to guide you. However, some of the articles meant to assist were not very accurate. If you're following exact instructions line by line, and you are not getting what is expected, you have to do a bit of problem-solving by yourself.

I don't handle the pricing, however, it's my understanding that the product is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others due to the fact that it's quite stable and mature. That said, there are a few improvements that can be made.

Overall, I would rate it eight out of ten.

SI
PM at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reduces the need for separate diagnostic and network monitoring tools

• "We do not have any issues stability-wise."
  • "When I open a ticket, usually they respond very late. Some of the people I negotiate with seem undertrained."

What is our primary use case?

We are using virtual servers. We have two servers, they are set in fail-over environments. One is active, one is waiting.

I work for a very big enterprise. Any employee could technically access this tool, but only a few of them are interested. Roughly 50 people working in specific departments access this tool — mostly the network operations team.

What is most valuable?

Currently, we are not using all of the features they provide; just the main tool for monitoring the alerts. The lists are sent to a third-party tool — ServiceNow. It's an umbrella that collects alerts from different tools.

What needs improvement?

I'm pretty satisfied with this tool. We have some specific devices that are not integrated very well, for example, Barracuda Firewalls. They have to improve this, but this is a specific situation.

It's a good one. It's a stable tool. We do not have any issues stability-wise.

I would say that they definitely need to improve their support features — this is a problem. When I open a ticket, usually they respond very late. Some of the people I negotiate with seem undertrained. They don't know much about the tool; they have to ask their high-level colleagues. This takes a lot of time and it's pretty frustrating to wait so long to form a ticket. They need to be quicker and more knowledgeable.

When we paid for a consultant, it was a very different situation. All of our problems were solved in a very short period of time.

Micro Focus Network Node Manager was already installed when I came to this company. In the future, we may switch to SolarWinds.

I wasn't involved in the pricing, but I think it's quite expensive. For example, we wanted to buy a separate module — a performance and reporting tool; however, our colleagues from the payment section said that it costs too much.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

ML
Monitoring Specialist at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Intuitive, powerful, its support is excellent and quick to respond to issues

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are its modern look and usability.  It's easier and faster to use. Overall, it's a very good solution. Operational Bridge is similar. Both are very powerful tools. It is not necessary to program. We can program less to make it worse, which means that less side script to make it work.

What needs improvement?

Simplifying the installation would be beneficial.

I have been using Micro Focus Network Node Manager for one year.

For now, it is very stable. When we use it in full production, it will be interesting.

Micro Focus Network Node Manager is a scalable…

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are its modern look and usability.

It's easier and faster to use.

Overall, it's a very good solution.

What needs improvement?

Simplifying the installation would be beneficial.

I have been using Micro Focus Network Node Manager for one year.

Micro Focus Network Node Manager is a scalable product.

In the beginning, technical support was a bit taken back, possibly because they did not realize that we were more technical.

You start off the same way you do with IBM. You start with the first level, then the second level is when it is difficult to resolve issues.

Now, things are better. We have access to an engineer, and it's very fast. They take care of us, and they trust us. When we issue a report with an issue, they resolve the issue very quickly.

The installation is very difficult.

When we complete the security requirements, it is hard to manage. If we miss or skip a step, it is very difficult to find.

The rest of the installation is easy.

We don't have any issues with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Micro Focus Network Node Manager an eight out of ten.

it_user746679
Seniorkonsulent Nettverksstøtte at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
internal causal engine keeps us updated on critical errors in our network environment

• "Most valuable function would have to the internal causal engine and its root cause analyzer which keep us updated on critical errors and incidents in our network environment."
  • "Reporting. Even though this is available in separate software (iSPI) there is potential in making the reporting more SLA-aware and more intuitive."

How has it helped my organization?

Our NOC is heavily using and dependent on the product for quick action and troubleshooting network issues.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable function would have to the internal causal engine and its root cause analyzer which keep us updated on critical errors and incidents in our network environment. Secondly, the multi-vendor capability (we have approx 150 different device types from some 10 vendors).

What needs improvement?

My organization has been using it since v6.x, but I was not involved until v8.x in 2008.

First line of support can be time consuming to collaborate with. Sadly, this got worse when HPE outsourced their support. When cases are elevated, the support and problem solving is usually sped up and excellently handled and resolved.

Easy install, but configuration of various aspects demands continuous focus and knowledge of the product.

No, it was already chosen when I started at my current employer.

What other advice do I have?

Initially, keeping the default settings is wise. Get familiar with and become knowledgeable in the product before getting into advanced tweaking.

AS
General Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, fair pricing, but features need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for network monitoring.

What needs improvement?

We had some issues with some of the features, some modules are not meeting expectations. Additionally, they need to start following some of the latest trends.

I have been using the solution for approximately 7 years.

It is a stable solution.

It is a scalable product.

When we speak to the customer service about issues that we have been experiencing, they tell us that is how the solution operates, unfortunately, and we have to live with it.

What about the implementation

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for network monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for approximately 7 years.

It is a stable solution.

It is a scalable product.

We have approximately 3 technicians doing all the installs and maintenance.

The solution is priced mid-range compared to the competition.

We are thinking about migrating to SolarWinds because of some of the issues we have been experiencing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Micro Focus Network Node Manager a six out of ten.

PankajSoni
Sr. Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is very stable which provides quick RCA for any network faults

What is most valuable?

Real time network monitoring application: It is very stable, which provides quick root cause analysis (RCA) for any network faults.

What needs improvement?

Only to improve the GUI.

I am working on couple of products in NMS/EMS Technology. Below are the products name: Micro Focus Network Node Manager NNMi (9.2x, 10.10 and above).

Only HPE/IBM/BMC and SolarWinds tools are very stable.

No issues in tools.

Not good compared to IBM or Zenoss support.

It is fully depends on costing, customer, and…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Only to improve the GUI.

Only HPE/IBM/BMC and SolarWinds tools are very stable.

No issues in tools.

Not good compared to IBM or Zenoss support.

It is fully depends on costing, customer, and architect.

It was straightforward.

I evaluated this product this product before I chose it.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing, clear all the customer requirements, then choose products accordingly.