Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Overview

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) is the #9 ranked solution of our top Project Portfolio Management tools. It is rated 5.0 out of 5 stars, and is most often compared to Broadcom Clarity PPM: Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) vs Broadcom Clarity PPM

What is Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM)?
HPE Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) provides critical information in real time to help you make the right investment decisions. It standardizes, manages, and captures the execution of project and operational activities as well as resources.

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) is also known as HPE Project and Portfolio Management, HPE PPM.

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2020

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Customers
Bank Simpanan Nasional, Smart Communications, Aareon AG
Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Video

Micro Focus Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Shirish C
User with 5,001-10,000 employees
Dec 6, 2017
Able to manage multimillion projects and resources more effectively

What is our primary use case?

* Better resource planning * Utilization Program management was also one of the ways that we planned to use this tool, but we could not make best use of it.
Ajay Mishra
Sr. Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Sep 24, 2017
The data provided by MF PPM is trusted and is available almost immediately; without trusted data there is very less scope of any tool to be successful.

• "The data provided by PPM is trusted and is available almost immediately; without trusted data there is very less scope of any tool to be successful."
  • "Reporting; need to be able to provide fancy reporting out of PPM, way it is done in OBIEE etc."

What other advice do I have?

Nope, all covered.
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Broadcom, Microsoft and others in Project Portfolio Management. Updated: November 2020.
448,896 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ManagerAf569
Manager application development at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 19, 2017
We use it from deployment to demand, project, resource, and time management. Support gives us the runaround.

• "There are so many different pieces of functionality, and we use almost every single piece from deployment to demand, project, resource, and time management."
  • "We constantly put in requests for some of the things we need. One of those is being able to export just our standard request type to PDF."

What other advice do I have?

It's very good as far as not needing to be restarted on a regular basis, not having mod files fill up, the number of issues, the number of tickets I have received from users with complaints, and its ease of use. Where I see improvement is more my experience with support and with the Micro Focus company in general, because we ran into licensing issues that took almost eight months to resolve. We had a divestiture, and we acted as a third party via TSA, and it took probably two months to try and get an answer that we really needed in 20 to 30 days. So, these kind of things where we ended up…
it_user704010
IT PMO at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Sep 13, 2017
The tool's customization is very easy to use, so saving ​time is ensured

What other advice do I have?

It has a parametric infrastructure. This provides efficiency while managing the projects and demands. At the same time, PPM customization is very easy to use, so saving time is ensured.
Cantürk Toprakli
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 25, 2017
We gained analytics about where the bottlenecks are, increased accurate decision-making, and it provides us with several "versus" visibility

What other advice do I have?

Keep it simple, of course. Apply phased or sprint based approach. Not Big Bang.
it_user705723
Budget Management at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 20, 2017
​Scenario comparison is the feature most valuable to us and the reason why we decided to choose HPE PPM​ over other portfolio management products

• "Scenario comparison is the feature most valuable to us and the reason why we decided to choose HPE PPM over other portfolio management products."
  • "User interface continues to be poor. The product does not have a similar view in the different modules, e.g., staffing vs financial management, it looks like you are working with a different product and it is not easy to use or intuitive."

What other advice do I have?

Be ready to have a lot of complaints from the end users in terms of usability and not a high level of responsiveness from technical support and R&D. Do not expect R&D to develop on your enhancement requests.
it_user674328
Project Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jul 18, 2017
We can manage our demands very easily with its flexible infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

It has a parametric infrastructure, which provides efficiency whilst managing projects and demands. At the same time, HPE PPM's customization is also very easy, so time-saving is ensured.
it_user704031
Managing Director Benelux at a tech services company
Jul 18, 2017
In general, PPM provided better automation for high-priority financial reports with clients

• "Recent Program Management lifecycle, Program Management aggregation views due to interactive UI (selection of risks, issues, and changes in Program Overview) and “flash look & feel" of this functional chunk, which is different in comparison to other parts of HPE PPM."
  • "Currently, HPE PPM does not allow “Project” approval, but only simple “Demand Request” approval (mobility)."

What other advice do I have?

Consider thoughtful roadmap, be ambitious, but implement with a realistic sense, counting on “human/people adoption”.
it_user704016
IT Consultant
Jul 17, 2017
Demand Management and reporting are the most valuable features. The license prices are a bit high.
it_user677724
Project Manager / Consultant / Global presales at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jun 22, 2017
The new file-based integration, without the need of having Microsoft Project​ even installed, is a huge advantage. Portfolio scenarios​ are limited to analyses.​

• "Resource management: The resource management module is very complete and covers most of the time all needs of customers."
  • "Portfolio scenarios: This is a very powerful feature. However, it’s limited to analyses."
it_user674352
Sales Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jun 9, 2017
The most powerful modules are demand, dashboard, and reporting.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to perform changes (workflow/process). Even the customer can easily administer and develop it.
it_user674328
Project Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jun 9, 2017
The most valuable features are demand, project, and time management.

What other advice do I have?

It has a parametrical infrastructure. This provides efficiency while managing the projects and demands. At the same time, PPM customization is very easy, so time-saving is ensured.
it_user671394
Resource manager
Jun 7, 2017
Portfolio and resource management are the key features.

• "The portfolio management and the resource management are the key features."
  • "I was not involved in the initial setup. I know that the project involved a lot of consulting that took a long time."

What other advice do I have?

There are lots of project management tools that do a good job, but not so many that can manage portfolios and the bigger planning picture. The key reason why projects fail, is the lack of necessary resources. With this in mind, projects need to be scheduled in such a way that their resource requirements can be met. You can’t just do all of them first. That’s portfolio management (well, part of it). To be able to successfully execute the portfolio, it is necessary to have the required resources recruited, scheduled and committed to the different projects in due time. That’s resource management…
Jarel Hanson
Board of Directors; Treasurer at a marketing services firm
Jun 4, 2017
Allows us to track usage.

What is most valuable?

Being able to track usage.

How has it helped my organization?

Having a backup just in case a connection is lost.

What needs improvement?

Security could be increased.

We have been using this for two years.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: I would give customer service a rating of 10/10. They are excellent. Technical Support: I would give technical support a…
it_user648759
Director Of Information Systems at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 19, 2017
It can take input from users on improvements. It is an expensive tool.

What is most valuable?

Time Management Resource Management Project Management

How has it helped my organization?

Takes input from users on improvements Release a product with fewer defects Releasing a defect-free product Providing useful suggestions for fixing defects

I have used it for five years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have encountered stability issues. The product releases after 9.3 have many bugs in the Resource Management module.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer…
it_user568059
Assistant Manager at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 13, 2016
We have automated our entire project delivery workflow. Managing various partners and cloud service providers needs to be integrated.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution and definitely I would give it a thumbs up. Go for it.