Micro Focus Real User Monitor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus Real User Monitor is the #38 ranked solution in our list of APM tools. It is most often compared to AppDynamics: Micro Focus Real User Monitor vs AppDynamics

What is Micro Focus Real User Monitor?

Real User Monitoring (RUM) an End user monitoring that gives you visibility into user behavior for fast, targeted problem resolution. It monitors the performance and availability of business-critical application services for all users at all locations all the time. It automatically discovers underlying infrastructure and classifies user actions - giving you instant visibility into session and whole service health over web, cloud, and mobile user experience. It allows you to trace user experience across tiers, capture live sessions, see where customers clicked, measure response times, and see pages that caused problems. And you can easily capture and replay user sessions to create test scripts that reflect real user behavior. All this data gives you new ability to analyze which application transactions your users are performing and what application response they are experiencing. RUM currently supports over 20 application protocols and applications such as SAP, Citrix, and native mobile application monitoring on Android.

Micro Focus Real User Monitor is also known as Micro Focus RUM, HPE RUM, MF RUM.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Micro Focus Real User Monitor Customers

Avea, Maccabi Healthcare Services, TEB

Micro Focus Real User Monitor Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus Real User Monitor pricing:
  • "The price is approximately €30,000 ($35,500 USD) for the enterprise edition."
  • "If I compare with other vendors, other vendors are more expensive"

Micro Focus Real User Monitor Software Reviews

BoykoVasilev
IT Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
An expensive product with an old design that needs to be more lightweight

• "The technical support is good at resolving issues."
  • "When we want to monitor our encrypted traffic, this product doesn't work because our cipher is not supported."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is application monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

We are no longer satisfied with this product and are migrating to Dynatrace.

What is most valuable?

The technical support is good at resolving issues.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to be more lightweight.

It requires that you purchase a Microsoft or Oracle database, which adds extra costs.

This product still uses Java, which has been removed from most of the browsers and it requires an additional install step for the client.

You need to purchase a lot of extra products from Micro Focus because the integration with them is required before you get a final, working solution.

It is an old design that has not changed in the past ten years, other than the name of it.

It takes 20 to 30 minutes to start the application.

Because RUM is based on port sniffing, it means that you need to configure a port on the network or switch. This works fine in an on-premises deployment, but we are moving to the cloud and user monitoring is done differently.

I have been working with the Micro Focus Real User Monitor for about ten years.

There are issues with stability because they still use Java. For example, right now, they are using Java Enterprise Services, JBoss. This is the cause of a lot of errors.

I have been in contact with support many times and from my point of view, they are okay. In most cases, however, they try to fix the issue rather than improve the product. Ultimately, they need to change the design of the product because the best support on Earth is not going to help solve all of the issues.

We are currently in the process of migrating from Micro Focus to Dynatrace.

With Dynatrace, it will automatically implement the application and you can monitor using a small JavaScript that is injected by the agent. Doing this same thing with Micro Focus would be a nightmare, if not impossible.

Dynatrace is not the only product that is better. AppDynamics, Elastic, and other vendors use the browser as your monitoring solution. For example, whether it is Chrome or Firefox, the browser can provide information about the application. That is the easiest way to do real user monitoring, as opposed to deploying hardware or configuring a switch.

Setting up the basic environment is okay. However, deploying and supporting this solution is a nightmare. A lot of products are required, which means that you have to spend a lot of time and hire a lot of people to support all of the different components. That is the main problem with it.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment and maintenance.

The price is approximately €30,000 ($35,500 USD) for the enterprise edition.

What other advice do I have?

I have to say that I am very disappointed with this solution. It's very heavy, and it is a nightmare to deploy and maintain. Compared to all of the other solutions, Micro Focus is out of date. In summary, the design is very, very old and it is not the future for us.

If you have an old-fashioned infrastructure with data center servers then this is a good solution for you. You can deploy RUM, connect it to the switch, configure the switch, and it works well. However, if you are a modern company and want to monitor cloud services, it is really hard to do. Essentially, it is not the right solution in that case. For people who don't use virtualization, it might be perfect.

I would rate this solution a two out of ten.

MS
CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Works well as part of an end-to-end solution, but product roadmap has halted

• "The Real User Monitor, with its transaction and synthetic transaction monitoring, is the typical classic in APM cases when the customer would like to do transaction monitoring. Micro Focus scores better where the underlying infrastructure management is also covered by Micro Focus tools."
  • "One area to improve is the user interface, of course. The second one is their R&D has virtually stopped building a product roadmap."

What is our primary use case?

The Real User Monitor, with its transaction and synthetic transaction monitoring, is the typical classic in APM cases when the customer would like to do transaction monitoring. Micro Focus scores better where the underlying infrastructure management is also covered by Micro Focus tools.

Otherwise, there are many other products that score well on a standalone basis. Micro Focus has kind of lost their place in the APM market place, which they used to enjoy with their market reacquisition product.

What is most valuable?

If we're talking about an end-to-end solution, it has to come from one vendor, which provides the underlying infrastructure as well. In that case, Micro Focus or BMC would score better than one-point solutions, like AppDynamics, New Relic, or Dynatrace, because they are pure APM solutions.

When it comes to end-to-end apps management, integrated solutions score better. Otherwise, you would need a lot of integration done along with the underlying infrastructure to get the end-to-end view. Besides the transaction side, you will also need to set up the underlying infrastructure, database, and the whole holistic view, if you would like to have that.

What needs improvement?

One area to improve is the user interface, of course. The second one is their R&D has virtually stopped building a product roadmap. They need to really do a catch-up game with many of their incoming competitors. They actually need to completely revisit their product development strategy and overall product approach, if they wish to remain relevant in the APM market.

We've been using this solution for about twenty years.

If there are any issues they have been resolved, either by test fix, bug fix, or patches. We found this to be a stable product.

We haven't had any challenges with scalability. The fact is, scalability also leads to a linear requirement on the infrastructure needed to deploy the solution. That effectively means that if you have more applications, more transactions need to be managed, you need to use a lot of provisioning on your infrastructure that hosts an APM solution of that size. This will turn out, eventually, to be a costly affair.

I am not satisfied in their technical support, of late.

The initial setup has two components. One is building the infrastructure to monitor and the other is building the configuration for monitoring. The first part is straightforward, but we have seen many challenges building the configuration for monitoring.

The product is not working. I'm talking about issues that last a year and a half. The product does face some challenges, in terms of bugs and taking a longer time than expected to fix those bugs.

It all depends upon the size of the deployment, so it could probably take from two months to one year. More importantly, in your test product, the one-time deployment is not good enough because you need to continuously refine and improve it. That needs to be ongoing to get the product to reach a certain level of maturity, in order to get the best benefit out of it.

What other advice do I have?

I would go one step back. I would like them to consider the overall holistic solution they have chosen. If they're choosing the end-to-end infrastructure management solution also from Micro Focus, then they need to identify what APM functionality they are really looking for. They should get the POC done for those functionalities in their own environment for the Micro Focus APM solution. If they are satisfied, they should go for it. Otherwise, they should not. If it is a standalone solution, however, I would not recommend Micro Focus. A standalone APM should be ideally considered.

On a scale of one to ten, Micro Focus APM is not more than five.

Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Dynatrace, AppDynamics and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: October 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Cung Phuong
ITSM Solution Consultant at HPT Vietnam
MSP
Easy to implement, good technical support, and the application performance monitoring works well

• "The most valuable feature is application performance monitoring."
  • "We would like to see support for non-Windows environments."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Micro Focus Real User Monitor is one of the products that we implement for our customers. They use it primarily for monitoring users and application performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is application performance monitoring.

The implementation is quite easy.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see support for non-Windows environments. Right now, we have to use it on a Windows server, but some of our customers don't like this.

I would like to see improvements made in terms of agent-based support. As it is now, we can install an agent on the application server, but it is not recommended for systems that are in production. In our experience, it is a really good option that we can implement for customers that do not want to reconfigure or change their network.

I have been working with the Micro Focus Real User Monitor for approximately 10 years.

This product is quite stable.

This is scalable in some ways but not others. If you want to run multiple RUM Engines then you have to install multiple servers, and they cannot run in a single instance. For example, one RUM server can be used but it has to be standalone, with no backup server or load balancing support.

Our customers are varied in terms of size and industry. Many of them are very large enterprises, with more than 10,000 employees.

The Micro Focus technical support is quite good. They also have a critical response team, which can provide an immediate response if needed. I have had the opportunity to work with them on some complex cases and they are very powerful, useful, and friendly with the customer. It saves a lot of time.

The initial setup is quite simple. I find it quite friendly for both installation and configuration. Our customers also find it easy to understand.

The length of time required for deployment depends on how many modules the customer wants to monitor, as well as how many the RUM server can discover.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this product is to read the manual carefully and work with support during the implementation phase. This will help to avoid issues in the future.

Overall, this is a good solution. One final complaint I have is that the roadmap from the vendor is not clear, which makes it less attractive to some customers.

FG
Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reasonably priced, good reporting, and is reliable but they should use code injection

• "The reporting feature is good for us."
  • "This technology is considered to be older."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for monitoring. We have a business service and want to know what users are choosing and what the errors are. We also use it to calculate the business level agreements with the user experience.

We are an integration company.

What is most valuable?

The reporting feature is good for us.

What needs improvement?

This technology is considered to be older. We are using the type of data collection that is mirroring traffic from application servers to Real User Monitor servers. Many other vendors such as AppDynamics, and Dynatrace, are using code injection and the values are more true with code injection. But for the mirroring, or data mirroring, it is not as true.

On the technical side, the data mirroring is easier to configure. The code injection needs development. You have to direct the development team on what to do, for you to use the data. For the data mirroring, you can ask the network team to mirror the application server data to my server. You can get all of the data. it is very easy to configure.

Most of the dashboards require a lot of configuration. We are not happy with the dashboard.

It is simple but you need to do some extra configuration, and you need to know another reporting tool that needs to integrate with. It is very difficult to manage this process

I have been using Micro Focus Real User Monitor for more than ten years.

We are using the latest version.

This solution is very reliable. It's stable.

Micro Focus Real User Monitor is scalable. It is easy to scale.

We have 50 to 100 users in our organization who are using it. These include administration, implementation, and product owners.

Technical support is very responsive.

The initial setup was straightforward. It is very easy to set up.

Our license agreement is a three-year term.

Pricing is reasonable. If I compare with other vendors, other vendors are more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but I would recommend code injection.

I would rate Micro Focus Real User Monitor a seven out of ten.