Micro Focus Service Manager Overview

Micro Focus Service Manager is the #17 ranked solution in our list of top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: Micro Focus Service Manager vs ServiceNow

What is Micro Focus Service Manager?

Service Manager on SaaS provides you with a cloud-based, industry leading IT Service Management solution.

Micro Focus Service Manager is also known as HPE ITSM, HPE Service Manager.

Micro Focus Service Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus Service Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Micro Focus Service Manager Customers

resultspositive, Globicon

Micro Focus Service Manager Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SG
User at DXC. Technology
User
It provides workflow support and the ability to support events

What is our primary use case?

ITSM service processes The richness of supporting standards, such as ISO 20000.

How has it helped my organization?

We have inherited a customer base with Micro Focus Service Manager. It gives us better understanding and control of service management.

What is most valuable?

Configuration options with very granular control parameters. Workflow support and ability to support events.

What needs improvement?

Pure cloud-based native functionality is lacking. It lacks templates to support out-of-the-box best practices.

Less than one year.
Head Of Servoce Operation Managememt
Well-structured in modules but needs a lot of customization for ops management

• "It's pretty well-structured in modules."
  • "It needs good integration with the configuration database, that's lacking at the moment, It's not that good."
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus Service Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Systems admin at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It is reliable and has a lot of functionality. The codeless part needs to improve.

• "It's mostly so reliable and has a lot of functionality. We're using a lot of HPE tools and we can do a lot with it. So, its functionality is the most valuable feature."
  • "It, still, has a bit of more of improvement possibilities in the codeless part. But, I can see that they are working on it, so that's quite good as well."

What other advice do I have?

I'm in finance, so it's mostly the reliability part that is important while selecting a vendor. As a company, we are trying to be reliable to the outside world, so we need reliable suppliers that can support this ideology.
Managing Director at Canberra Solutions Ltd
We can log onto the equipment so we know when the equipment is, for example, freezing in the live environment. It's only now beginning to be a web-based interface, but for now it's still very clunky.

What is most valuable?

We are an organization with 45,000 assets. Service Manager gives us a single system where everything is centralized in one base. We can log onto the equipment so we know when the equipment is, for example, freezing in the live environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It's web-based so we don't need to buy the spoke. Just log into it and away you go.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is very clunky. It's only now beginning to be a web-based interface, but for now it's still very clunky.

It deploys without issue.

It's very stable, but that's part of its clunkiness.

It…
Head of Architect at a government with 10,001+ employees
We can keep control of everything in the technical infrastructure that we are delivering to the business side.

• "A valuable feature for us is that we have an ordered way to handle all the cases that we can handle with the infrastructure."
  • "It needs to be easier to use for the end users because one problem we had was that we are handling different kinds of cases."
Automation specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
We use it to deploy infrastructure and automate our daily routine tasks. I would like to see more connection to DevOps.

• "It helps to register things, to see the changing parts, and to correlate incidents."
  • "There should be some front desk provided or some options to let our users serve themselves, because we have about 5000 servers and 400 applications."
Configuration Manager
It's strong, there's no doubt about it. I wouldn't want to go replacing it with any of the other tools.

• "Technical support is pretty good."
  • "I think one area which is the most painful from my point of view is if you need to integrate a lot of the tools, and being able to make that a lot more seamless."

What other advice do I have?

You need to spend a lot of time getting it developed. Make sure you go over areas brought into it so you can then show the value of what it can do. Once you've then got it, then you can prove to the business that this is how important it is, being able to understand your IT. What makes up your IT. Then of course, if you're trying to pass that information into other areas, like asset management or software license management, it's all feeding from the same place. So you can then at least get something which is meaningful at the end.
Chief Architect at a government with 10,001+ employees
It's great that we just have one system and we don't have to call or drive to each other.

• "We can have all our requests and incidents registered in one system."
  • "The greatest issue for us is to understand the roadmap. We want to know whether we should upgrade now or should we wait three months."
Director at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
The workflow engine standardizes the process steps. There is a lot of manual work in transporting code.

• "The workflow engine that standardizes and globalizes the process steps. It drives people through the process by standardization and automation."
  • "There's a lot of manual work, which is error prone and time consuming, in how the code gets transported from one system to the other."

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a new product, check how the user interface looks. That was the mistake that we made. We underestimated the acceptance of the end user community of the interface. And we currently use the Service Request Catalog for HPE Service Manager, which is really bad. We had big acceptance issues with our user community on that product. The other issue is how the administration of the tool works and how many resources you really need to administrate it, to keep it running, and to keep it alive. That's something that shouldn't be underestimated. Check how much configuration customization…
IT Business Systems Reporting Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Supports multiple, different approval routes for catalog items.

What other advice do I have?

Service Manager is a very versatile system that can be tailored in many ways to suit many customers' requirements.
Architect at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It helped us conform with ITIL service management requirements. The stability could be better.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us conform with ITIL service management requirements.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see continuous improvement in the HPE SM.

The stability could be better. There are a lot of changes between versions and in the updates.

I think the scalability is good.

It was great to work with technical support.

HPE did the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

HPE is a strategic partner for doing such work. I would advise colleagues who are considered this solution to take it.
Lead Channels Database Administrator and Way4 System Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to track how the environment performs in terms of incident management.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. I would advise colleagues to get the latest release because I’ve been told the reporting has been sorted out in this new release. I am interested in upgrading to get that. If what I'm told is true, then that's a good product.
ICT Engineer at T-Systems
It's compatible with all other HPE tools we need for our end-to-end business. It cannot operate in the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

The best solution depends on your needs. You should consider different solutions and decide which best fits your needs. Ask yourself whether HPE Service Manager can provide you what it provides us.
Senior Manager - IT Roadmap (IT Operations and Service Management Program) at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It's fully integrated with all other HPE software products, and supports all our ITIL processes.

What other advice do I have?

First of all, compare, for sure. We use an HPE product; we still look at other vendors and competitors. We have a long history with HP/HPE. Now, what I would also say is, wait, because in my shop, we know we are a pure customer of this software product. We know it's moving away from HPE going to another company. They say nothing will change. We'll see. I think it brings uncertainty, and they're well aware of that. If I had a colleague or a friend of mine say to me, "I need a service management solution.", I would say, “We have a nice, wonderful solution.” Now, what it will look like in a…
Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
It integrates with Skype for Business and our current system. It takes too much time to resolve support issues.
Head of ITSM application support team (JUMP! program) at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can customize the tools. It can learn to follow our process. We need integration with big data.

What other advice do I have?

Keep it simple. Do not do a lot of customization. Keep the implementation of the tool simple.
MOA Manager of the Production Information System at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We chose this tool was because we could not be on SaaS due to security issues.
Incident and Problem Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use the tool to keep track of incidents, technical changes and problems. The end-user experience is a bit weak.

What other advice do I have?

My main advice is to work with the tool the way it is and don't customize it. I guess that’s one of things we picked up that's very key, to be honest. I guess just determine where your priorities are and start working with whichever module covers them.
IT Consultant at Innova
You can write simple scripts for workaround solutions that are not out-of-the-box.

What other advice do I have?

We suggest to our customers that they use a similar solution to Service Manager even if they use different products. But we do suggest they switch to HPE products. We think it’s worth switching over to HPE. They are a good company.
Team Leader IT Service Management Presales Eng at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps us manage the end user experience for utilizing the environment systems.

What other advice do I have?

I advise others to use the HP Service Manager because it's a powerful and capable enterprise solution. The reason for choosing this product is that it is an enterprise tool and HP is a big company that supports its product powerfully. I have started working with it since 2009 and up until now, I have used about 6 versions, i.e., from version 7 to 9.5. Since HP is a big company, it has the ability to keep growing and that is an important factor for selecting this vendor. The missing factor in this product is that there are some processes that are not mapped to the ITIL V3. Only 11 processes are…
Sr. Application Development Specialist: Service Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
A solution that works out of the box. The solution's real strength is its ability to change for your organization's infrastructure.
Systems Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to manage all of our incidents and requests in a single location.

What other advice do I have?

There's a lot of features we're not using currently, some of which we're thinking about using. There's just a lot to it, a lot more than we really need in most of our cases right now. Definitely check in with Packard App. There's a lot of good software applications that they provide. They've got a good integration with their hardware. Overall, HP will just give you a really great solution.
Architect for IT Infrastructure Management Tools portfolio at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The base core product does what we need it to do. We spend a lot of time on platform support, the patching, the care and feeding of the whole entire platform.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solid product. We're not unhappy with it. We're not overjoyed with it, and we're big time looking at Service Anywhere and other SaaS solutions for that space as opposed to internally hosted. We brought it in in the late 2000s and it served us well. We're approaching 2017 and we're looking at what we can do much more cloud based.
Senior Director Infrasructure Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
I like the flexibility and the integrity of the product.

What other advice do I have?

Look at everything out there. Think about how you're going to grow in the future, because that's going to certainly impact the cost of the product.
Release Manager at United Airlines
The GUI interface portion of it is easy to use. When I have to revert to the non-GUI portion, it's slow and cumbersome.

What other advice do I have?

The interface is good, I like it. It's easy to use. It's intuitive and it does go to the mobile app for verification and approvals and it's easy to use on the mobile app. Just make sure that the PCs that are going to run the non-graphic interface have a fast processor because if they don't it's very time consuming to use.
Manager, Utilities Applications at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Process Designer allows us to make modifications to certain attributes that will be forward compatible with new versions. Authentication needs to natively support multiple AD forests.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's fair to say it is a workhorse. It's extremely reliable, relatively cost effective, scalable, and has good existing integration points.
Enterprise Management Team Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The fact that it's highly customizable is the most valuable feature for us. We can change it to suit our business needs.
Project Manager, Change Agent, ITIL Service Support, Crisis Management with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've been able to come from a base of 27% to maintaining an average of about 92% every month.
Customer Experience Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
It provides us with many types of logs with hundreds of thousands of log entries, but it provides little documentation for how to filter log entries.
HP Service Manager Technical Lead @ PepsiCo at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
All service desks and backline teams utilize it for work intake and incident management, but we couldn't deploy it across multiple data centers.

What other advice do I have?

Have a firm grasp on your business processes and how you’d like to see them implemented.
Director, IT Service Management at Dignity Health
It was easy to implement, as we currently have many HP solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I considered the integration capabilities, that is, being able to integrate the suite of HP tools to already existing tools (in this case, also HP (SiteScope, AssetManager, BSM, etc.)). I was not involved in the initial purchase by Dignity Health, but I know price was important, so I assume it was also important when choosing HP. Part of the challenge for any organization is the scale with which you intend to use any solution. This means that for larger organizations using Service Manager, HP could scale no matter what the demand was. However, many products are limited in their ability to…
Manager of Operational Excellence at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
One of the big benefits that’s come out of this is a centralized view of all IT operations that really enable us to shift resources.

What other advice do I have?

We wanted to align with Intel, we wanted them to be a cloud offering, and we also needed a technology market leader that could offer diverse set of offerings. So for us, we wanted to invest in one company that could service all of our needs across the board. We will upgrade to 9.40 before the end of the summer, but there are still some adoption issues. We struggle with and the simplicity of getting reporting data at a high level, and output is not where it needs to be for us. But as far as having an easily supportable and deployable product, it’s really changed the work we manage IT in the…
Software Consultant - Executive Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I like the general behaviour but it wasn't always stable.

What is most valuable?

Customization of SD, IM, PM, CM modules, general behaviour.

7-8 years

All the time, sadly.

Same, it wasn't always stable. Actually, I wouldn't call it stable now either.

Customer Service: Hmm, let's see. That functions pretty well... Technical Support: Now, this is the point where I could write some serious stories about how HP failed to help us.

Nope, I'm all HPSM.
Systems Management Specialist at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Overall it's a fast and responsive design. I'd like more features to give the product a faster development cycle.

Valuable Features:

Fast, responsive and modern design. It's used throughout the company and is a very valuable asset.

Improvements to My Organization:

Teams can collaborate with each other in a more dynamic and responsive way.

Room for Improvement:

Bring in new requested features to give the product a faster development cycle, ahead of the game!

Use of Solution:

1 year

Deployment Issues:

We encountered no major issues with deployment at all.

Stability Issues:

Stability has been above average.

Service Management Consultant with 10,001+ employees
Supports ITIL v3. Nothing comes close.

What other advice do I have?

My only concern is the flexibility of the product in smaller environments. HP do recommend people use their Service Anywhere product for SMEs. Unfortunately the nature of some businesses and agencies is that this isn't possible and they insist on their own in-house tool.
Head of Fault 2 Restoration at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
How to turn 10,000 people from Service Center to Service Manager

What is most valuable?

The integration between HP tools.

How has it helped my organization?

Stricter process implementation Better performance

Over 10 years

Stability was always an issue untill we did a full load and performance test, since then this is in good shape.

Customer Service: Great! 8 out of 10 Technical Support: Good, 7 out of 10

Service Center ran out of support, so we had to switch.

It was complex due to…