Micro Focus Service Virtualization Overview

Micro Focus Service Virtualization is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Service Virtualization tools. It is most often compared to Broadcom Service Virtualization: Micro Focus Service Virtualization vs Broadcom Service Virtualization

What is Micro Focus Service Virtualization?

Micro Focus Service Virtualization helps to simulate a services behavior in a production environment. This simulation software enables in-house development and testing teams to keep to their schedules regardless of access to production systems.

Micro Focus Service Virtualization is also known as HPE Service Virtualization.

Download the Service Virtualization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Micro Focus Service Virtualization Customers

Virgin Media, TTNet

Micro Focus Service Virtualization Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Principal consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Valuable features are support for integration patterns and ease of use to the wizard-based utility. Needs more support for different protocols.

• "The support for integration patterns and the ease of use to wizard-based utility is what I would consider the most important features for service virtualization platforms."
  • "More support for different protocols. I would love to see more wizards rather than relying on some custom coding, which you can use C# as well as Visual Basic scripting. In the service virtualization platform, I would love to see more wizard features as well as the ability to connect to an external database, which by the way, we have put an enhancement request in for. I'd love to see that in the service virtualization platform."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of its support and the technical abilities that it has, there are other tools. I'm not gonna name them, they have a higher degree of technical ability. Unfortunately, their support and their performance are not that great. You want to have a car. You don't want to have a Ferrari that doesn't work. You need to have a car that can get you from point A to point B, and HP service virtualization has been performed there. Don't give up. It may sound very expensive at the beginning, but we have realized more than $15 million in savings at one of our major healthcare clients. It will really…
Sr. Manager- Technology Office at Technology Leader & Evangelist
The most valuable feature is that it reduces the dependency. The awareness of service virtualization needs to be improved.

• "The most valuable feature is that it reduces the dependency so that the down time of the environment is not a major cost. That cost can be used for something else like the cloud."
  • "HPE products are good, but they never make a product for a specific use. They make a product for the enterprise because that is their vision. They like multi-generational business plans. That means that they don't deliver small bits and pieces, but rather, they deliver to the enterprise."

What other advice do I have?

Service Virtualization is one of the great tool sets coming into the market. It's really going to change the industry. In order to release my product on schedule, the development and testing time becomes one of the major challenges, although it is not only challenge. Other challenges include dependency and time consumption. On the other hand, the industry is dealing with a big shift in transformation from legacy to brownfield, and from brownfield to greenfield. We have a separate greenfield layout going on. When I have a tough integration, a very complex integration system, and when I'm going…
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Broadcom, Parasoft and others in Service Virtualization. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior QA Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to independently test without development delay for integration. Having an SQL-based implementation would be far more usable.

What other advice do I have?

Seriously, download it and try it. If you can virtualize your services with the tool with limited effort, then it’ll be the right choice for you.
Service Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to set up and use. Reduces hardware costs.

What other advice do I have?

What we looked for to select a solution was ease of use, scalability, cost, and professionalism in terms of the people who do the implementation.
Senior Associate Technology at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It can keep virtual services in a learn or a simulate mode. You can view the requests learned and change simulated data.
System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It reduces risk and results in faster release cycles through earlier functional and load testing.

What other advice do I have?

HPE SV helped me and my ALM team minimize workforce, reduce costs, and transition from hardware to virtualization; my software is more secure preproduction. That's fundamental for any company.
Senior Associate - SOA Test Automation and Service Virtualization Technical Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The data model and agents are easy to use and configure.

What other advice do I have?

Check the protocols supported in the product.
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It has valuable built-in features. I would like to see support for integration with TDM tools.

What other advice do I have?

I’m rating it a 7 because it is not a fully evolved virtualization tool compared to other tools offering the same service.
IT Manager, EAD QE CoE Lifecycle Virtualization at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
It is scalable, and supports a wide variety of message formats and transports.

What other advice do I have?

Work together with the Dev and Test teams. Understand what your needs are before you virtualize everything. There’s no benefit to virtualize everything: Analyze, design the solutions, and then start virtualizing.
Program Manager - Performance Engineering at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It cuts down dependency across dev as well as any third party components. They need to mature and move forward.

What other advice do I have?

They are playing a catch-up game.
Solution Architect at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Customers can create their own virtualized web services and not need to go to that outside vendor. The UI needs to be a little more flexible from the customer standpoint.
Information Technology Manager - Infrastructure at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a more cost efficient approach to server deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I believe in the products that we're using. Don't look at it from an application standpoint. Don't let your users try to run with it. You set it up, you give them the guidelines and then let them run with it.
Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Being able to look at my entire infrastructure from a hardware standpoint is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

As HPE is making lead way with the HPE 380, coming up with a single pane of glass to automate VMware. Today the back hall is VMware seeing over virtualization. I have to say I am immensely interested in watching how Docker and HPE's adoption of Docker disrupts the virtualization environment, and I'll be honest with you, I cannot wait until they come out with a single pane of glass that allows me to deploy virtual machines using Docker. That's really going to be a game changer in the industry and reduce our costs, because it's going to give more competition to one of the largest leading…
Chief Innovation Officer at SAGGA
We're able to create, develop, and test software against virtual services that simulate real service behavior with no constraints, and it's available anytime.
Service virtualization enables our teams to create, develop, and test software against virtual services that simulate real service behavior with no constraints, available anytime. This capability helps us keep our project on schedule even when we can’t develop or test the real versions of applications, dependent systems, and services. It accelerates development and tests with an end-to-end application environment. It simulates a service’s behavior in a production environment. This simulation software enables in-house development and testing teams to keep to their schedules regardless of access to production systems.
Sr Systems Engineer - Quality Assurance at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a much less expensive solution than building many environments and we can turn them off and on when we need to.
Technical and Functional Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
With this solution, I don't have to use our production services for implementing other software uses. Other solutions have more functionalities and better licensing policies.

Valuable Features:

This is an important product in both the production and test environments.

Improvements to My Organization:

With this solution, you don't have to use your production services for implementing other software uses. It saves us time, effort, manpower, and cost, in particular.

Room for Improvement:

Other solutions have more functionalities.

Scalability Issues:

It could needs to be a lot more scalable.
Senior Technical Tester with 1,001-5,000 employees
We get view commonality, so rather than developers and test groups creating their own mocks of environments, they'll have one project service with a tool set that does the same thing.

What other advice do I have?

I think the beauty of being able to order the 30 day trial from the HP website means that you can actually get in there and look, unfettered by the sales and marketing people, and actually understand what the product does for you and your organization.
Senior QA Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
I found that it's fast to stand up a virtual service and start consuming it. I would like to see better documentation of the REST API.

What other advice do I have?

Some of the criteria I looked at while looking to purchase one of these service virtualization tools was ease of use because I’m gonna have to give it to my org, the QA team owns it, not the developers. The developers, the whole shift left idea for development works partially but they are so slammed to meet tight deadlines that I can’t throw another tool on them. On the other note I don’t have on my team, I have QA analysts so they’re not all completely technical, they dabble a little on it. So I wanted something that they could pretty much do a drag and drop into it. I wanted something that…
Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
HP SV provides ease of use for multiple roles in IT and integrates to HP's suite of QA solutions.
HP Service Virtualization (SV) is industry leading with the backing of the world class organization HP behind it. HP originally went to market with ITKO as their original and only reseller.  During those several years they made their intent clear to ITKO that they would either acquire the company and/or engineer their own product.  CA acquired ITKO so HP then developed their own product specifically addressing the weaknesses of the ITKO - now CA Lisa product(s). In this context HP was not late to market but perhaps second to market.  This approach provided them an excellent approach to market analysis as well as product positioning, feature/functionality. HP SV is a fraction of the initial cost vs CA Lisa and a fraction of the overall cost of ownership.  It is the industry leader because…
Product Categories
Service Virtualization
Download our free Service Virtualization Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Broadcom, Parasoft, and more!
Quick Links