Micro Focus UFT Mobile OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Micro Focus UFT Mobile?

Micro Focus UFT Mobile amplifies team productivity by providing a centralized, enterprise-level, end-to-end lab and management gateway of distributed real mobile devices and emulators that helps teams develop, debug, test, monitor, and optimize their omnichannel mobile applications to promote an enhanced user experience across all digital touchpoints. Testers and Developers alike can validate all aspects of the mobile user experience including functionality, performance, and security using services simulations and network virtualization. UFT Mobile supports continuous testing and drives continuous improvement and optimization by analyzing availability and performance of mobile application via production monitoring.

Micro Focus UFT Mobile was previously known as Mobile Center, Micro Focus Mobile Center, HPE Mobile Center.

Download the Mobile App Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Micro Focus UFT Mobile Customers

Bci, BPER Services, Die Mobiliar, Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare, HPE, Independent Health, Shanghai OnStar Telematics, Pick n Pay, UCB

Micro Focus UFT Mobile Video

Archived Micro Focus UFT Mobile Reviews (more than two years old)

AZ
Responsible for Test Management at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and has good virtualization capability

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we provide for our customers. The deployment model varies depending on the customer because some use this solution on-premises, and others use the cloud version.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is virtualization. The integration with Oracle projects is very simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration with automation tools. The integration and configuration should be made easier with tools on the same platform.

We have been using this solution for two or three months.

We have five people who are using this…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is virtualization.

The integration with Oracle projects is very simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration with automation tools.

We have been using this solution for two or three months.

We have five people who are using this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are at an early stage in terms of using this solution.

it_user487431
Mexico Operations Manager at Tsoft
I haven't been able to implement at the two customers where I have tried to.

What is most valuable?

I don't know because I haven't been able to implement at the two customers where I have tried to.

What needs improvement?

I try to find the backs and try to pull the future and quality of the development. For me, it's a great idea, but the tool is not finished now.

When you try to automate different scripts for iOS, Mobile Center doesn't accept all the objects that you have into the application.

We are the first step of technical support for our customers. We escalate tickets to HPE, and we don't have problems.

It's complex, and you need more skills than in most implementations.

What other advice do I have?

Try to put…

What needs improvement?

It's complex, and you need more skills than in most implementations.

What other advice do I have?

Try to put it first of all in your own lab and then try to put it in the customer's.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Perforce, Digital.ai and others in Mobile App Testing Tools. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TS
Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Enables users to test on real mobile devices instead of emulators

• "The fact that it allows users to test on real mobile devices instead of emulators is something that projects have told us is beyond compare."
  • "We like to host the tools centrally. We would need them to be multi-tenants, so different projects could log on and have their own set of devices and their own set of apps, and they wouldn't see data from other projects that are using it."

What is most valuable?

The fact that it allows users to test on real mobile devices instead of emulators is something that projects have told us is beyond compare. Your app or your website won't behave on an emulator like it will on a real mobile device, no matter how great the emulator is - even if it's the one that comes from the OS developer that ships with the development studio. There's just no substitute for a real mobile device with its hardware constraints and the way it will behave in the hands of a user.

What needs improvement?

We like to host the tools centrally. We would need them to be multi-tenants, so different projects could log on and have their own set of devices and their own set of apps, and they wouldn't see data from other projects that are using it. Right now, the way that we're managing it is we're requiring no clients are able to access it, so if we do happen to see something that belongs to another project, it's not a big deal. But true segregation of devices and apps, packaged apps, that have been uploaded to the tool, is something that is important to us. It's not there right now.

We started evaluating it about a year ago. We have conducted proof of concept with about 10 projects that are actual, real projects since April of this year. And we're still refining our final deployment of the tool and what that will look like, but we have these pilot projects that are actively using it.

It has been stable. The only caveat I would say is sometimes with the managed devices, and this is true even when we host our own devices, they will be quirky. You might have to restart a device for it to reconnect and be recognized by the Mobile Center environment. But for the most part it's a pretty stable, mature tool. And we have noticed even since we've started evaluating it, they've gone from version 2.2, 2.5, 2.51. We feel all of those have significant improvements over the previous version.

I think one of the unique things about Mobile Center is it has the ability to use what they call a connector component and, theoretically, unlimited connectors can connect to the Mobile Center server. You can add as many devices as you want, not only directly connected to the server with some USB hubs, but also through an army of connectors hosted wherever you want, with additional devices connected to it.

For us, it's been good, but we have an enterprise license agreement. We buy a ton of products, so they're always very nice and responsive to us. We've even been able to work directly with R & D and affect some of the design and the road map going forward. Maybe that's the case for everyone, but for us, it's been very good. We have few complaints there.

The vanilla out-of-the-box setup is a simple install that you just install on a server or even a laptop if you want. Where you get some more complexity, is where you try to integrate it with other tools. Both hosted tools, like ALM, or local install tools like UFT or LeanFT, they all seem to integrate with Mobile Center slightly differently. You provide the URL and the credentials, but some of them require certificates to be installed on the machine, some of them require ports to be opened. We've managed to integrate it with everything it's supposed to integrate with, but it did take some fine tuning to make it all work.

We evaluated other mobile testing solutions and found this to be superior to all of them. I think a lot of the reason is because we use a bunch of other HPE tools, so it natively integrates with them, making it easy. But it has a lot of functionality, and they are quick with releasing patches to support new OSs as they come out and new devices. It's not like it becomes obsolete or stale at all.

CM
Developer Automation Tests at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to automate testing but the documentation and interface need improvement

• "It is a complete solution for mobile application testing."
  • "The documentation and user interface both need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use the product to automate mobile application testing and I usually use Mobile Center every day.

What is most valuable?

The ability to automate testing is the most valuable for me because it is something I need to do every day. In general, in my opinion, Mobile Center is a good product that allows us to do everything we need to automate application testing for mobile.

What needs improvement?

I think the interface is not good very good and I have used other solutions that are easier to learn. Also the time it takes to connect the mobile and the interface is not up to speed. I think that there are other ways the product could be configured to detect devices more quickly in order to speed up use. When I connect my device to evaluate it can take a few minutes to see the device on my computer.

I want to see better documentation because it was not so good in the last version. It needs a better explanation for implementing everything in Mobile Center. In the beginning, I had constant problems to connect Mobile Center because I could not find a good explanation to document Mobile Center working with EFT (Unified Functional Testing). I think that you cannot do this job without that kind of product support.

We have been using the product for about one year.

It is a good solution when you have implemented it. When you put your device in the server and when you launch your application every day in the server, it is a good solution and does not fail. It is better when you launch the test automation in a local device, but it is a good solution either way.

I think the solution is scalable. We only have seven or eight people working with it now. There are not any immediate plans to increase usage soon, but it should not be a problem.

I think that technical support is not above average, but it is good.

I'm confident with Mobile Center now and I like to resolve issues myself. When I have a problem, I have had trouble finding answers because the documentation is only on their site. I don't find other responses and other communities, so it is not as easy as it could be.

The company was previously using a different solution. They wanted to switch to working with UFT so we like this product better for EFT configuration. We work with Mobile Center because with this solution our testing is more complete.

I don't remember if I have encountered a real problem with the product.The initial setup was not difficult as far as doing the installation. But I did find that understanding the program and configuration was initially a little complex.

I know I succeeded in deploying Mobile Center with the installer and to launch the test automation in Mobile Center.

We did our own installation.

We compared Mobile Center with Bitbar. Actually, the company used Bitbar, which is another source which is primarily ranked with Mobile Center. It was not as well integrated with EFT.

What other advice do I have?

In rating the product on a scale of one to ten where ten is best, I would rate this product a seven.

I think that Mobile Center can offer a good platform and practice to do your work. It is easy to implement and easy to configure once you get used to the product.

The problems are the lack of better documentation and more friendly user interface.

it_user567801
IT Services Operations Director of OTE Group IT Service Center at Hellenic Telecommunications Organisation
It gives insight to the services and apps you have developed, enabling multi-platform and multi-site testing.

What is most valuable?

It provides an integrated view of HPE solutions and gives insight to the services and apps you have developed; A powerful tool enabling multi-platform and multi-site testing, application performance monitoring, and user experience assessment of mobile apps.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit is that you can get a very quick idea regarding the performance of your application. It also helps you discover hidden pain points that you would not have found without using this tool. The main pain points are the performance of your apps and the user experience. When you build something in the lab or on some devices, you cannot predict what the actual user experience will be. Additionally, you cannot imagine what problems you may face when this app starts being used.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see an extension to the ability to monitor and to operate in an ecosystem of applications; not only our applications, but also the applications of our partners. Our partners expect from us, as a major telecom operator, to create an environment in order to give the ability to integrate their apps with our public APIs. If our partners can do that, we build a very strong relationship among all these parties. But, we have to support and protect our brand and the outstanding quality of our services. We have to consider how all these ecosystems and integrated apps work to provide the services they promised to.

I don't have a very clear idea about stability, because we haven't used it yet. We have tested internally, and we are planning to implement Mobile Center soon.

I believe scalability is good. Considering that this is developed based on the best practices of HPE development, I believe that it will be scalable. It must certainly be scalable in order to be used by an organization like us.

Our impression of HPE support services is quite good. However, in some cases we discovered some issues for HPE support regarding the latest enhancements; the delivery time for these enhancements is not as fast as we would like.

We were not using any similar products previously.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Mobile Center because I believe that it is a solution that covers a gap in this area. I believe that HPE has a vision to invest in this area and invest in this service and this tool. I strongly believe that HPE is one of the main players in this area.

it_user101727
Program Manager - Performance Engineering at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Within a year they were able to produce what it currently is, so they are moving in the right direction. They need to go beyond the HP world.

Valuable Features

Has more testing on real devices along with emulators. Using the existing enterprise tools, like UFT, or even if you want to go open source, you can use them and it's a real user-functional performance, we are able to achieve that.

Improvements to My Organization

Mobile Center is pretty new for HP. Other than the HP solution, we also use Mobile Labs. The ability to test and open it up to the development teams so it's the entire shift left. You try to give something to the development team ahead of time rather than them trying to analyse how it could work and it's on a real device which they need to support. That's number one.

Number two is cutting down cost of procuring the actual devices. Now you can create a private cloud within the organization so people understand what ability you need to have a consolidated set of devices and utilizing the solution.

Room for Improvement

It's very new to HP. They need to go beyond the HP world.

It depends on what your requirement is. You can go from either using anybody else's mobile phone or whatever that you want to use and you can do that. That's how it is. It's scalable but from a mobility perspective you can only scale it to a level, because you already achieved what you want to achieve.

I've not had to contact tech support.

It's pretty straightforward as long as you know how the tool is designed to work and the architecture behind how you need to implement it for your environment.

Other Advice

it_user469167
Solution Architect at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
The key feature is the ease of use.

Valuable Features

The key feature is the ease of use. We want to make sure that when our customers get the product, it's not going to be on the shelf for six months. They want to be able to readily use each solution productively. Whether that includes the product itself in our services, or just the product itself. We want to make sure that they're going to be using it.

Room for Improvement

I think the biggest issues that I've seen, and this is a personal view of mine, is that most of the HPE products have a common look and feel to them. I'd really like to see it be a little more customizable to a use and user standpoint. For example. I happen to be colors blind, so I'd like to see more vivid colors on the UI, and things like that. It would make it a little more flexible from the customer standpoint.

Use of Solution

I was formally an HP employee, so I've used the HP products in the past. I also was a former Mercury Interactive employee who was acquired by HP.

It's been extremely scalable as far as the testing that we've done with our customers. They've all been really satisfied with the scalability of the HPE products.

We work on an almost daily basis with the R&D team and they've been extremely helpful in solving issues that we have with customers - issues that we've had with the product itself such as How do I do this, How do I do that, and so forth.

We've been involved with Mobile Center since its inception. With some of the other products, it was more later down the road, but with Mobile Center it's been right from the inception.

Since it was a slightly different way of doing things, it was a little complex. It was just the idea of ... this is something new that we have to understand. It wasn't like we're building on a product that already existed, it was right out of the box. It's fairly new, so it was a little more complex that way but R&D made it very easy.

it_user468171
QA Manager at TIAA-CREF
We can test different flavors of mobile devices. It could be better integrated with ALM.

What is most valuable?

It's relatively easy to use and it allows you to use decentralized devices to test with. I don't know if it's that important. There are some negative drawbacks to it, but it's flexible. It's a different option with them being centralized.

How has it helped my organization?

The ability to test mobile devices, which is pretty important. We can test different flavors of mobile devices, different versions of the operating systems on those mobile devices. That's pretty important for us.

What needs improvement?

The integration with ALM so that it could be part of the ALM flow and process, that would be a home run.

There's been no stability issues.

We've used it on a limited basis, in small pockets. I think the scaling would be tough with the decentralized approach to the devices. It may work out, there's pluses and minuses to doing that.

We're also using Sauce Labs, and we're actually using it a lot more. It actually integrates better with ALM. It allows centralized management of mobile devices, and the administration piece of it is a little bit easier, because Mobile Center uses lists to manage.

We had no issues with the deployment. It seems fairly straightforward.

HPE actually gave us the software with other purchases for a couple of years, so we've had different teams that have wanted to use it. Those teams have just kind of gone out and done it on their own, so we haven't had a concerted effort to deploy it across the organization.

The pricing is great. It was free for two years. I don't know what the cost is going to be after two years.

What other advice do I have?

The big thing to speak to HPE about is what's next, because that's what's going to be important. I don't think the product as it is right now is going to sell itself, but it's really what are the next steps. I think a lot of people are still relatively new at testing the mobile app, so it's the next year or two that is going to be real important.

Sr. IT Manager, Software Quality Assurance at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Coupling automation with UFT and/or LeanFT led to more robust and faster testing of software releases.

Valuable Features:

This helped my prior organization immensely due to the ability to remotely manipulate devices, even by offshore vendors. Additionally, coupling automation with UFT and/or LeanFT led to more robust and faster testing of software releases. Furthermore, the addition of the Amazon device farm in version 2.0 make this solution a serious leader in the mobile testing space.

Improvements to My Organization:

The network virtualization (Shunra NV) saves real money for users as data plans are not required to simulate real world conditions. Additionally, the Amazon device farm and ability to add emulation allows users to have access to almost any device one could think up!

Room for Improvement:

I have experience with the product since it launched with version 1.0. Obviously with a nascent product, the stability and feature set is still being formed completely. Now, with version 2.0, many more features are available and stability is much improved. However, it is still a young product that is improving leaps and bounds each release.

Managing Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Strong integration with HPE tools (ALM, UFT, Sprinter and LeanFT) and integrates with non HPE tools.

Valuable Features:

• Management of a pool of devices that can be made available globally for automated, manual or performance tests, via a slick interface.
  • Strong integration with HPE tools, ALM, UFT, Sprinter and LeanFT, and the integration with non HPE tools.
  • Strategic solution that pulls in real world analytics from AppPulse Mobile to aid in definition of strategy and integrates with Network Virtualisation to see how the device will run under real network conditions.
  • Primary usage is on real devices but also supports emulators.
  • The 2.0 release extends capability to AWS device farm.

Improvements to My Organization:

It is enabling a global strategy to be put in place.  Our largest implementation is with a global team.  The solution provides a controlled device farm with the right devices (selected based on analytics), that are readily available (can be reserved), have the right app and can be used for manual or automated tests.

Manual testing (with Sprinter) is accelerated with steps being captured automatically with exploratory testing, storyboards being captured and device logs etc. automatically being attached to defects (that can be sync'ed back to non-HPE tools or raised directly in non-HPE tools).  Net effect, developers get the right info to address issues quickly and efficiently.

Automation allows fast and efficient testing across a range of devices, this would not be feasible manually.  The skills and good practice used for non-Mobile directly apply. Shared Object Repositories and Application Models make a big difference for maintainability - object recognition has always been a HPE strength.

There has been a notable shift in emphasis, from the on device get it to work, to strategy and how the full benefit of the solution, with analytics and NV is used.

Room for Improvement:

Mobile Center development is moving at pace.  With versions prior to 2.0 I found that configuration was trickier than it should be, particularly with aspects such as NV.  With 2.0, the NV installation is straightforward and integrations are performed prominently via the UI.  I had one issue on installation of the stack for MC 2.0 (MC, UFT, LeanFT), I found a workaround and found that I also had responsive support.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: IntelliQA is a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Gold Applications Specialist. This review is based on my significant hands-on usage of the product both within our organisation and for client implementations.
it_user346803
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We now have the ability to test our app on real devices instead of just on virtual devices. It's only currently supported on Linux and it'd be helpful to have a Windows Server version.

What is most valuable?

This is a solution that's easy to use. It also gives us the possibility to use real devices connected either on the Mobile Center server or on our own computers. And it works with both iOS and Android devices.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

There are couple of improvements I'd suggest. First, it would be helpful to have a Windows Server version instead of just Linux. Second, I think it would be a good idea to have an interface to manage the server, specifically to run Android Debug Bridge (ADB) commands.

I've used Mobile Center for 4 months.

Deployment was an issue. Each time we set it up and deployed, it failed and we had to relaunch it again.

Also, we weren't able to set up the Windows components.

Other than the deployment issue, once it was running we didn't have any issues with stability.

Scalability is not a relevant issue with this solution.

I never used customer service.

I never used technical support.

We had not prior solution to this.

The initial setup was complex because Mobile Center is only supported on Linux. There was also the issue with deployment failure once we did set it up.

it_user290334
Test Leader with 1,001-5,000 employees
Being able to test different mobile apps at the same time, but connection errors have prevented us from completing setup.

Valuable Features

We're able to test different mobile apps at the same time with the defects gadget.

Improvements to My Organization

We've not set it up properly yet, so my experience is limited, but the ideas and possibilities that this tool has are incredibly useful.

Room for Improvement

Because of connection errors, we've haven't yet been able to set it up properly at my company.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one month.

Customer Service: We have a specific department that deals with customer service. Technical Support: We have a specific department that deals with technical support.

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

I've used it for one month.

We have a specific department that deals with customer service.

We have a specific department that deals with technical support.