Dolf Cornelius
Owner at a consultancy with self employed
Great business process testing, very stable, and efficient for making test cases

• "The production and the efficiency of making your test cases can be very high."
  • "The price is very high. They should work to lower the costs for their clients."

What is our primary use case?

I have been running UFT scripts also, apart from the laptops and PC's. We primarily use the solution for end-to-end and functional testing and also for web applications and tunnel-based applications in the testing chain. It's one of the positive points of UFT that UFT can handle both.

What is most valuable?

I'm just managing the team, so I can only explain my experience via the experiences that I've heard from our team members. One of the aspects that the team really liked was the fact that you can also use the business process testing.

If you take a look at BPT, the Business Process Testing part of UFT, it's also a step forward for making components. You can combine the components without diving into the code. That's a good thing.

The production and the efficiency of making your test cases can be very high.

What needs improvement?

The problem with the solution is that you need to have highly specialized skills in order to make the scripts. Also, the scripts that you're developing for less scripted scenarios should be more productive.

The product needs to be simplified overall. They should look to competitors for ways to make things easier and less complex. It would give them a better market position. For example, they need to make it easier to compose a guest case and combine their modules and then create a test case from combining the modules together rather than scripting.

If they simplify the product and work with building blocks, users won't need to do all the scripts.

The price is very high. They should work to lower the costs for their clients.

I'm an independent contractor and I have used the UFT for about two years.

The stability has been good. It's quite reliable. We haven't seen bugs or glitches. It hasn't crashed in any way.

I'm not very involved in the technical part of setting up the solution. There's a specialized team that does the setup. There's another team using the setup and monitoring everything. Whenever there are some problems within the setup, I can refer to another team that can deal with issues.

My understanding is the setup requires some technical work, so those setting it up should be a bit knowledgeable.

Our team has also handled automation.

Due to the fact that the solution was in the organization before I began working with the company, I'm not sure how long deployment took.

The licensing costs are quite high.

The more you do automation, the more you spend on the license cost. Due to that, sometimes when there is a boom in spending, you will need to justify the extra cost.

We're curious to learn more about Tosca. I've heard also from others that Eggplant is quite good. I've wanted to know more about them for my own research and have been looking at them.

What other advice do I have?

I just use the product as an independent contractor and customer. I don't have a professional relationship with Micro Focus.

I can recommend the product. If you're a company that is working with any legacy systems, and you need automation with both web-based applications and terminal-based applications. the solution would be a good thing to use.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall. I would rate it higher, however, there is a steep learning curve. You also need to be skilled in using the solution. Why learn such a specific program when there are other products, available as well? When there's such a steep learning curve, it might not make sense for every company.

RABINDRA NATH GOSWAMI
Senior Associate at Cognizant
The GUI has automatic settings and doesn't require much skill to use

• "Micro Focus UFT One gives us integration capabilities with both API and GUI components. I like the user interface. It doesn't require that much skill to use and has automatic settings, which is useful for users who don't know what to select. It also has dark and light themes."
  • "The AI feature needs improvement. For banking applications, we input formatted text from documents, but the AI feature is recognizing three fields as one field, e.g., for a phone number, it puts all 10 digits in the international code or country code. Then, the script fails."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for automation. It helps to automate test scenarios for graphical user use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

Historically, we have faced a lot of maintenance issues with automation using traditional UFT, because UFT has a mechanism for identifying an object where you have to add object properties. However, if a change happens in the application and your object properties change, then you have to go and update the object properties again, only then can you use those scripts. So, we were using a lot of personnel for script maintenance. Whereas, in UFT One, I like that our maintenance costs have been reduced by a lot because UFT One is using an artificial intelligence feature to identify objects visually.

We use it to do multi-platform testing.

What is most valuable?

UFT One Automation provides Codeless Test Automation.

The solution will automatically run a script, so you need less knowledge to run a script.

Micro Focus UFT One gives us integration capabilities with both API and GUI components. I like the user interface. It doesn't require that much skill to use and has automatic settings, which is useful for users who don't know what to select. It also has dark and light themes.

It improves automation efficiency.

What needs improvement?

I have been using UFT for the last seven or eight years. UFT One was just launched three or four months back, so I have been using it for a couple of months.

It is reliable. Sometimes, the GUI does crash.

It is highly scalable.

There are around 150 users of UFT One with 8,000 test scenarios running four times a month. We are also running around 500 scripts in UFT One.

Our internal team is sufficient for technical issues.

We have used a lot of different tools. We have used Selenium and Python as well as Java-based REST API for regular testing. With UFT one, we have all the solutions under an umbrella, so we don't have to think about other tools. It also supports API and HTML testing. Selenium only supports Java, and there is no support for HTML.

We didn't need to do too much with the initial setup because there is an installation team.

It takes one or two days to create test automation scripts.

Object maintenance is reduced.

What other advice do I have?

We have not yet implemented the license for the AI features. However, I got a chance from Micro Focus to join a Hackathon for India when they launched the product, which included the AI feature. I am hoping that my company will implement this feature soon because the solution's AI capabilities will reduce my test creation time.

Every day, tools are getting smarter. UFT One is like this.

Before implementing, do a demo with your existing applications.

I would rate this solution as an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus UFT One. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EZ
Test Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Poorly designed, runs slow, and makes test automation really difficult

• "The initial setup is relatively easy."
  • "The overall design needs an entire overhaul. We prefer software designed to ensure the package isn't too loaded."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for any test completion intended for the system.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't really see a way it has improved our organization. I don't like this tool and I don't think that it's a successful example for automation. It's because of the tool's limitations that make the automation of a project difficult to execute successfully.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the company's product of choice. We disagree a bit in that regard.

The initial setup is relatively easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution makes test automation really difficult to maintain. The design of the test framework isn't ideal. They should work to improve it.

The concept is really old. It needs to be integrated with EMM, due to the fact that, obviously, EMM is the one to manage your test. It's almost difficult to manage test automation as a project. It's good for video testing, however, it's not good for a project.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable. However, that said, it's also slow.

The scalability is pretty good. If an organization needs to expand, it should have no trouble doing so.

Our particular projects have more than 50 people on them. Mostly they are from the IT automation team.

I didn't really ask for technical support in the past. We didn't really use much of the features, therefore we didn't have technical issues with that tool. I can't speak to their general responsiveness having never spoken with them directly.

I have never used a different solution. I merely use this solution as it is my company's preferred product.

The initial setup is not complex. It's quite straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have any business relationship with Micro Focus.

Personally, the solution doesn't meet my expectations. The design is really old. It's possible we'll be talking about changing soon. I'm not sure if it will happen, however, I would prefer to try something new.

A person with no programming background might really like this solution. I, however, do not. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a five. I have a technical background and I don't really like using this tool. It's better for someone with less programming experience.

Vishwa-Reddy
Test Automation Eng Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Powerful analysis using artificial intelligence, easy-to-develop automation, and we can develop negative API test cases

• "This product is easy to use, understand, and maintain."
  • "One of the drawbacks is that mobile performance testing is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Micro Focus UFT is a very good tool for testing purposes. We use it primarily for API testing.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool integrates well into our environment.

We have the ability to develop automatically for different countries when using continuous deployment. We can use the same scripts, which is a nice feature.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the analysis using artificial intelligence.

This product is easy to use, understand, and maintain.

We can develop negative test cases for API calls, which is helpful.

What needs improvement?

I have had problems with the parameterization chaining.

Given that there is a lot of competition in the market from similar tools, the price should be reduced.

There should be line numbers in the code.

I have been using UFT One for eight years in different organizations.

This is a stable solution that is made up of several different applications.

The scalability is good.

I have also used Selenium and I find that Micro Focus is better. It is easier, for example, to develop automation. Also, Micro Focus is easier to maintain than Selenium.

It is a straightforward product to implement.

This solution is quite costly and there is no free trial available. We purchased it from SAP because we got a cheaper price.

The subscription fees are paid annually.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this product is that it integrates well into your environment, is easy to use, easy to maintain, and makes your development efforts more efficient. The entire development chain, including smoke tests, will be improved.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Other
Roberto Forlani
Senior Test Manager at Allianz
Good out-of-the-box protocols; unfortunately technical support is a little slow

• "The solution has good out-of-the-box protocols."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for our functional and automatic testing. I'm a senior test manager and we are customers of Micro Focus.

What is most valuable?

It's a fine solution with good out-of-the-box protocols. Right now we're moving to a new way of working so we're going to need to move away from this product.

What needs improvement?

Improvement could be made in the cost of the solution and the support time involved in solving issues. This is something that is quite tricky. I try to get the support on a ticket, but it takes time for it to be managed. This part is always quite tedious and that's in addition to the renewal process for licensing. It's not managed very well by Micro Focus. We're looking into more open source products.

I'd like to see a change in the programming language so that the product would support modern programming languages. It would improve agility which I believe the product needs.

I've been using the solution for four years.

Technical support could be improved.

The implementation was carried out by the vendor but the rest was done either in-house or using third party providers. We carry out the maintenance using our admins. We're using the product intensively right now and we have around 80 or 90 users using it every day.

The license model is quite complex. We have the normal basic license plus some support costs and other things so it depends on a lot of factors.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure this solution is the future with many companies now moving to agility-focused solutions. I have used these products for the past 20 years and they were good and fast but now there are other competitors who are coming out with better solutions.

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.

Other
DW
IT Business Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, the interface is okay, and it works well for end-to-end testing of multiple scenarios

• "The interface is fine and there is nothing else to add in terms of enhancement."
  • "We have had some issues with stability, where it crashes sometimes."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for end-to-end testing, from order to cash.

What is most valuable?

The interface is fine and there is nothing else to add in terms of enhancement.

It works well for testing multiple end-to-end scenarios.

What needs improvement?

We have had some issues with stability, where it crashes sometimes.

In the next release, I would like to be able to see multiple scripts at the same time.

We have been using Micro Focus UFT One for several years, since before it was purchase and renamed from QTP.

We have had some issues with stability so I would rate it a solid five out of ten in that regard. Middle of the road.

The scalability is okay.

We have not yet contacted technical support, although there are areas where we need to. Our contract is set up such that we would not be contacting Micro Focus directly.

The initial setup was straightforward. It did not take long to deploy because there are only two departments using it right now. It is not company-wide.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to be aware that it lends itself to having coding knowledge. I would say that you have to be comfortable with coding to use it.

Judith Boucher
Lead Software Test Engineer at Excellus Solutions
Saves us time in regression testing, but should work with browsers other than Internet Explorer

• "UFT has improved our ability to regression test."
  • "It could work with more browsers other than Internet Explorer, and could better handle new things like Ext JS."

What is our primary use case?

Our environment is web-based, with over 2000 pages. There is no such thing as a primary use case since it is such a large and easily modifiable product. We have more than 1700 test cases already.

How has it helped my organization?

UFT has improved our ability to regression test. This frees up the test team to work on only the new portions of the software without having to worry that we are introducing new errors in other areas without knowing it.

What is most valuable?

The function library has made automation a much easier process since we do not use record and playback. Our scripts create data and then manipulate the data that has been created.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Micro Focus UFT for seven years.

Download our free Micro Focus UFT One Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.