Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium Overview

Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium is the #2 ranked solution of our top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers. It's rated 3.9 out of 5 stars, and is most commonly compared to Okta Workforce Identity: Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium vs Okta Workforce Identity

What is Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium?

Azure Active Directory Premium provides single sign-on to thousands of cloud (SaaS) apps and access to web apps you run on-premises. Built for ease of use, Azure Active Directory Premium features multi-factor authentication (MFA); access control based on device health, user location, and identity; and holistic security reports, audits, and alerts.

Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium is also known as Azure Active Directory Premium, Azure Active Directory Premium P1, Azure AD.

Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2020

Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium Customers

PresenceHealth, Walsh Construction

Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium Video

Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Edgar Parra
Senior Technical Consultant at The Instillery
Nov 20, 2018
Configuring the domain and setting it up in the Azure portal is as easy as three clicks. Tech support is awesome but can have its pitfalls

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is actually one interesting one because this customer we're deploying, They don't have Active Directory on-premise, and they need to use some applications that are on-prem, so in order to get authentication to work with those applications we had to come up with a workaround. So it was challenging to come up with that workaround and solution, but it worked quite well. Azure Ad provides great flexibility even when nothing on-prem can provide user authentication. For cases like this, Microsoft and Citrix worked together to develop a solution that not only work with Azure AD… more »

• When logging on to Azure AD it's pretty quick.
  • Configuring the domain and setting it up in the Azure portal is just three clicks to be honest.
  • At first, it was a bit challenging to come up with a workaround that would get authentication to work.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• I do not have experience with pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know if it's something that's going to be addressed in the future, or not, but having Azure AD the boundary of action for Active Directory as a region when you define the domain so you can't extend the domain to another region because it's a limitation that Azure AD has that doesn't allow you to extend the domain to another region for say geolocation purposes or disaster recovery. If you have your Azure AD on the Sydney data center, you're not going to be able to extend that to say, Singapore. But, it is not highly unlikely, but it's a very rare occasion that you lose a region or a…
Reviewer394
Cloud Consultant at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Nov 15, 2018
The most beneficial feature would be the effectiveness of having a hybrid set-up. The tech support is inconsistent.

What is our primary use case?

We need it for running MSA protection for most of the users. We need Azure AD Connect because they are highly on primary setup, so they need to sync on primary with Azure AD.

• The most beneficial feature would be the effectiveness of having a hybrid set-up.
  • Initially, we wanted to exclude specific users from MSA. So, we had a condition policy, which forces MSA for all the users. So we wanted to exclude users who are using an NPS extension. So it was not listed, as a NPS extension was not listed outside an application, in actual, so, we go back and were not able to exclude users using NPS extension from MSA. So that was one limitation that we found and we had to work around that.
  • Tech support is inconsistent.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• It's really affordable.

What other advice do I have?

If you have connections with a PSP partner, it will be easy, I guess. If you're buying an Azure AD Premium independently, you won't have a helping hand from them. You'll have support but, not much other than that. With a PSP partner, you will feel like that you can implement or you can quadrate. Once Azure is developed, and fully established, it will be a perfect product. It is still in the development stage at present.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Okta, SailPoint and others in Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS). Updated: November 2020.
446,956 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user623721
Consultant with 10,001+ employees
Nov 15, 2018
The ability to speed up delivery is an asset. To look at more documentation, engineering, or an open standard would be nice.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is collaboration. So it's all about federation of identity and permissions. Identity is one of those things that you need to be separate from your actual tenant. There's a benefit for it being separated from your actual tenant for reasons of security and containerization. It's very easy to run and it's part of their ecosystem and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

• It's very easy to run and it's part of their ecosystem and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.
  • The ability to speed up ability is an asset.
  • To look at more documentation, engineering, or an open standard would be nice.
  • Microsoft has so many different requirements and priorities that sometimes they don't invest all their energy into the products that you have expectations to investigate.

What other advice do I have?

Last year Microsoft had said that the onsite Active Directory ,as we know it, is going to be deprecated. So that means group policy, that means security groups, the NTLM and all that we've relied on for so long is going to come to an end with this modern management philosophy. That's why I did those group policy changes. From group policy, which is essentially the ability to control the operating environments of managed devices, rather than that, Microsoft wants only a mobile device management policy. So it's pretty much a HTTPS or SSL assertion to manage devices off the domain, and they will…
Ken Meyer
Senior Consultant - Owner with 1-10 employees
Nov 13, 2018
It's just a product that made life simpler for my clients to be able to integrate everything.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is single sign-on, and if a company is going to use Azure AD, a lot of what they are looking for is to manage those sign-ins and logins and have a single place for it to be.

• The self-password reset if it's enabled and configured properly, really helps a company be able to reset rather than getting IT involved.
  • Just because I've been in the Azure space since it started out and in the Microsoft Cloud AD since the BPOS days in the early 2000s, and it's just a product that made life simpler for my clients to be able to integrate everything.
  • Documentation I think is always the worst part with what Azure's doing right now across the board.

• Licensing is easy.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest piece of advice is if you're planning for all applications that need authentication, and making sure that all applications that need authentication or that you're going against, that you're using the premium parts of Active Directory for, are compliant with the solution and not finding out afterwards.
Rajeev Jha
Database Manager at Wartsila India Ltd
Nov 13, 2018
It is a helpful solution for employees working from home. We also like that it is on the cloud.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for our business directory, we have integrated everything into Azure into the Active Directory.

• It is a really nice tool and we have a license for the more complex model.
  • I like the way it communicates to the cloud.
  • Whatever business requirements we needed in the past three years, users were created, with the name of the user and they were not connected with the Active Directory. We were trying to in house in three years and with directory, but we were not able to achieve it.
  • Be aware that it may not work perfectly globally yet. There are still glitches with the solution in Africa.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• It is a really nice tool and we have a license for the more complex model.
  • It is not too expensive.

SeniorTe5a6e
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 12, 2018

What is our primary use case?

• We have not had any formal issues with scalability.
  • It is pretty good in terms of stability.
  • I primarily use this solution for hybrid deployment, security, securing resources and for integration purposes. In terms of security, we have been using the B2B/B2C hybrid integration with the certificate authentication.
  • There are issues using it with ADFS.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• The licensing is really not clear unless you are a premium client.

What other advice do I have?

When implementing for one client, where they ad ADFS turned on, we could not ID enough ADFS and when there was no internet connection. This was a Catch-22 for us, and very frustrating. I would advise new users to use Azure over the ADFS.
John ONeill
Principle consultant at Active Data Consulting Services Pty Ltd
Nov 1, 2018
The centralized management feature is very valuable. We do not have to deploy lots of machines to run things as a service.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to simplify directory deployment and centralize source of management. Within our own consulting business, we choose to use Azure AD.

• The centralized management feature is very valuable.
  • We do not have to deploy lots of machines all over the place to run things as a service, which is how we like to deploy things, just as a service.
  • A nice feature that is not currently present, would be if they had some visualization tools.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use, straightforward, and in my language. It does exactly what is says, and does not pretend to be anything else.
Jaydeep Mehta
Senior Analyst - IT Development at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 31, 2018
It is a very straightforward implementation. It helps us with maintaining enterprise identities.

What is our primary use case?

It's a very good solution. You can manage your entity's enterprise identity using Azure Active Directory, and again, you can do several administrative activities. You can also use your Power Shares sorting and interfacing the endpoint.

• It is a very straightforward implementation.
  • It helps us with maintaining enterprise identities.
  • The licensing cost is a bit prohibitive.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• The licensing cost is a bit prohibitive.
Jaime-Sanchez
Director General
Oct 31, 2018
The most important feature is the factor identification.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for tracking authentication.

• The most valuable feature is the factor identification. I find that it is natural integration, and it is just a natural step. I do not need to do anything else.
  • I think there is room for improvement with actually discussing, and advertising Microsoft as a an authenticator. Many people just get confused and use Google, and I think if Microsoft would make more of an effort to penetrate the market, that would be key.

What other advice do I have?

I like it, I love it and it works fine.
Download our free Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Okta, SailPoint, and more!