Microsoft Azure API Management Overview

Microsoft Azure API Management is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to Apigee: Microsoft Azure API Management vs Apigee

What is Microsoft Azure API Management?
Microsoft Azure API Management ensures an organization's API program reaches its fullest potential. With API management, organizations can publish web services as APIs reliably, securely and at scale. Use API Management to drive API consumption among internal teams, partners, and developers while benefiting from business and operational insights available in the admin portal.

Microsoft Azure API Management is also known as Azure API Management, MS Azure API Management, MS Azure API Management, MS Azure API Management.

Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Microsoft Azure API Management Customers
adnymics GmbH, LG CNS, Centrebet, netfabb GmbH, MedPlast, Accelera Solutions, Sochi Organizing Committee, realzeit GmbH, Opensistemas
Microsoft Azure API Management Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure API Management pricing:
  • "It's being paid monthly."
  • "Since this is a cloud-based solution you have to abide by those financial limits, this creates some different challenges compared to other solutions."

Srinivas Kode
Vice President - Competency and Channels at Techwave.
Easy to use API management with a platform that allows customers to register themselves

What is our primary use case?

It's more of a subscription driven consumption based model, where the APIs are developed to connect backend ERP systems such as SAP and deployed into a library for consumption by both internal and external consumers. The APIs are exposed to the consumers that get onto the API gateway and identify the needed API from the library, use the instructions to subscribe, quickly test and connect to the backend SAP to get the expected information/transaction processed. Prior to this solution there was an age old EDI interface solution. This is enabling the customers to be more flexible with their… more »

• "The most valuable features are the ease of use and it is a platform that has self-enablement for the customers to be able to register themselves."
  • "The user interface needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

API and microservices based architectures is the modern architecture to enable organizations for digital growth. With that said Microsoft Azure is definitely is in the top quadrant in this space and are investing to grow this service portfolio by leaps and bounds every day. Based on our customer ecosystem and the predominant technology stack in use, the decision with Microsoft platform aligns well with their transformation roadmap. There is going to be some level of Microsoft cloud solutions in play. Each customer has to conduct an assessment on the need for a platform based on the technical…
MB
Enterprise Infrastructure Architecture at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows use of VPN technology but could do with clearer configuration

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for managing internal APIs, for ordering process APIs and in general process APIs, and resource manipulation APIs. We need an API management to get a better overview, and this is one use case with analytics parts. Another use case is security, being able to rotate API keys and to manage access at a signature point. Finally, we also have the developer portals with the self-service capabilities so that developers can request access to APIs through a developer portal and manage their own keys. We are still in the ramp-up phase, so currently we have actively two or three… more »

• "Allows the possibility of VPN technology to connect your gateway directly with on-prem services"
  • "Could use clearer configuration when it comes to API policies."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a six out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oleksandr Gaysin
Senior Manager, Engineering at GlobalLogic
Good user management with excellent configuration capabilities and decent stability

• "The user management is pretty seamless."
  • "Technical support could be more flexible and try to meet the client's needs a bit more effectively."

What other advice do I have?

Right now, for a particular client, we're using a managed version of the solution, however, in the future, I foresee us hosting it somewhere in the cloud. We're using the most up to date version of the solution. Overall, the solution has a lot of great features. There are a few bugs here and there, however, a the end of the day, there's lots of value provided. I'd rate the solution at an eight, on a scale from one to ten. It's got a rather high cost and still has some areas that need some improvement. Otherwise, I'd rate it higher.
GD
Group Manager, Solution & Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to configure, simple to use, but might not be suited for all sized companies

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because when there is a technical requirement sometimes there are technical constraints that need to be overcome, and that is best resolved through the API component. My organization predominately uses Microsoft solutions and this is why we are using this particular solution.

• "I have found this solution to be easy to configure, simple to use, and flexible."
  • "If I compare this solution to others I have used in other phases of my life, having APIM being an Azure resource, it is easy to configure and deploy. However, this conversely reduced the flexibility. The difficulty is how do we configure it in a manner that a larger enterprise would probably want it to be. This creates a bit more complexity, working around the constraints of the resource itself. If comparing it to other solutions, it is more of a legacy design with an older approach. The various level components are still around resembling an on-premise type of design similar to other solutions, such as Apigee or Mulesoft. They are still predominantly carrying some legacy design. Which might be suited for organizations where they have a more complex network layout. APIM is easy to deploy, but on the other side of that, it is constrained to how Azure has designed it to be."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is in all technology areas, each solution is use case-specific. If you are already working on the pure Azure Stack, then APIM is something that I would suggest. Unless you have a very complicated API development use case I would not try to deploy, for example, Mulesoft or Apigee on Azure. Assuming you are working on a full Azure Stack solution. Since it is use case-specific, rather than trying to build out. I would rather use the other repertoire of Azure to do the API development, as opposed to trying to deploy other solutions under the…
Anurag-Bhatnagar
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, easy to use, and the developer portal is very helpful

What is our primary use case?

We are publishing microservices using API management. We have created various packages and policies that we are applying over there. We have also created a portal for developers so that they can see what we are doing.

• "The most valuable feature is the developer portal, which has source code examples in various programming languages to help developers learn the API."
  • "This solution is only available as a cloud-based deployment and it would be very helpful to have an on-premises version."

What other advice do I have?

This is absolutely a solution that I would recommend for others. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
SK
Solution Architect at a sports company with 201-500 employees
Good API hosting and management and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We have company-wide APIs which are hosted in Niger, and some of the external clients access the applications via the API, and we provide the post-data information. The clients get their data from our larger API.

• "The API management and the hosting of the API platform are great."
  • "The documentation could be improved for the customer."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We do plan to continue to use the product going forward. I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution. It depends on how their organization and architecture is, and if they're doing on-prem or cloud, depending on the requirement. It's very hard to say. That said, I would rate it overall at eight out of ten.
RandallMcClure
Enterprise Architect at Pink Brain Technologies
It's very easy to get started but I would like to see them actually support out of the box

What is our primary use case?

They're doing integration work between a lot of different on-premises business platforms, like Salesforce and NetSuite. We're doing integration work, but we're putting all of our APIs into the Azure cloud and using that API manager at this time.

• "We're pretty much using all of the monetizations features out of the API manager so we can put up a portal and have a dev portal and then a prod portal and do rate limiting."
  • "They're trying to implement versioning and trying to be able to manage different versions of your API all at the same time, but they're not doing that just quite right yet."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to choose wisely. Look around. That's the free entry stuff, so that's why I'm kind of looking around for another tooling solution, to see if I can get more full-featured support. In the next release, I would love to see them actually support out of the box, like a canary deployment pattern, or out of the box just a blue-green rolling deployment pattern. Right now, how you want to do your deployments, you've got to tool it yourself. I would rate it a seven out of ten. They're not bad.
Paul-Emmanuel BREC
IT Enterprise Architect - Middleware & Integration at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Stable, good pricing, and integrates well with other Azure services

• "The solution is quite stable. We have no issues with it. there have been no crashes and we haven't experienced bugs or glitches. It's been quite reliable."
  • "The portal where we publish the APIs could be improved. Maybe this is because we didn't configure it. It is quite easy to bypass API management because we have a lot of information shared on the portal, where we publish our APIs. I worry there is potential for a security breach in the API publishing. There needs to be more security available on terms of the way we publish them."

What other advice do I have?

So far, we've been very happy with the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten overall.
See 10 more Microsoft Azure API Management Reviews
Product Categories
API Management
Download our free Microsoft Azure API Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.