Microsoft Azure API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure API Management is #2 ranked solution in top API Management tools. IT Central Station users give Microsoft Azure API Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee:Microsoft Azure API Management vs Apigee. Microsoft Azure API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Microsoft Azure API Management?
Microsoft Azure API Management ensures an organization's API program reaches its fullest potential. With API management, organizations can publish web services as APIs reliably, securely and at scale. Use API Management to drive API consumption among internal teams, partners, and developers while benefiting from business and operational insights available in the admin portal.

Microsoft Azure API Management is also known as Azure API Management, MS Azure API Management.

Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft Azure API Management Customers
adnymics GmbH, LG CNS, Centrebet, netfabb GmbH, MedPlast, Accelera Solutions, Sochi Organizing Committee, realzeit GmbH, Opensistemas
Microsoft Azure API Management Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure API Management pricing:
  • "It's being paid monthly."
  • "Since this is a cloud-based solution you have to abide by those financial limits, this creates some different challenges compared to other solutions."

Microsoft Azure API Management Reviews

Srinivas Kode
Vice President - Competency and Channels at Techwave.
Easy to use API management with a platform that allows customers to register themselves

• "The most valuable features are the ease of use and it is a platform that has self-enablement for the customers to be able to register themselves."
  • "The user interface needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

It's more of a subscription driven consumption based model, where the APIs are developed to connect backend ERP systems such as SAP and deployed into a library for consumption by both internal and external consumers. The APIs are exposed to the consumers that get onto the API gateway and identify the needed API from the library, use the instructions to subscribe, quickly test and connect to the backend SAP to get the expected information/transaction processed.  Prior to this solution there was an age old EDI interface solution.  This is enabling the customers to be more flexible with their integration architecture and be more agile as it reduces the IT integration dependency and provides a better user experience.

This is part of Techwave application modernization strategy to bring solutions that can bring agility and flexibility to customers and be able to decouple business with huge IT dependent solutions.  This is helping us to help our customers migrate away from the age old EDI technology to the latest API and microservices based architectures.

How has it helped my organization?

It is enabling two things. First it is helping our customers get on the path of application modernization and be on the digital journey.  Secondly, it is enabling them to provide a better customer experience and adoption with their end consumers.

The consumers have easy access to information than before (when it was EDI based processing).  Consumers had to reach to their IT for any new changes and integrate and/or had to download/email/phone to access/process the transaction with their customers.  Now it can be well integrated into their portal applications and/or integrated directly into their applications through API management, which makes them more digitally connected and better user experience.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of use and the self-enablement through subscriptions for our consumers. Consumers can get into the API gateway library and register to an API from the catalog directly.

Once the API is developed and added to the library with the registration documentation, it becomes pretty easy for consumers to access and understand the benefits and use of the API.

The library acts as the central repository of all our APIs and use and access is pretty intuitive.

It's very easy to learn for a person not familiar with API.

What needs improvement?

Nothing in specific but there is always some improvements that can be made to user interface to enhance and improve the UX experience.

As Microsoft adds more an more services to the stack will help and enable to ease the API platform integration with other ERPs and various platforms for us. There are more APIs coming out with lot more enhanced services that include IOT connected device integrations. Any help in understanding available API protocols and edge protocols easier will help us building our solutions faster.  We do see different services are being added day by day.

We are not using all of services at this point, but we are leveraging few at a time and building our solutions.  This is part of the evolutionary and exploratory based journey to transform the ecosystem of the customer to a digitally connected growth organization.

I have been using this solution on a particular engagement for close to a year now.  However, we at Techwave have been using API manager in other areas as well for some time.

As it is a SaaS model, we always end up having the latest version in use.

The stability is great, as mentioned earlier it is backed by Microsoft Azure platform and that brings good stability as it is and being the cloud solution we do not have to worry about scaling either.

Monitoring of the usage and understanding the throughput is much easier with these API platforms than with the older EDI transaction based backend operational monitoring. The visualization reports on consumption is very easy and the analytics driven from these visualization can be used in your ROI discussions and management decision process, if needed.

This is a scalable solution and my impression is positive. Consumption is increasing. The scalability doesn't seem to be a challenge because it's a cloud-based solution. Scaling the bandwidth or the capacity is not going to be a challenge.

Our customers are using this solution and I can't disclose the number of users, but we have good usage.

We provide technical support and haven't gotten to a point where we couldn't solve an issue.

We have not contacted the Microsoft technical support yet. I am sure that they would be good but we can't comment in that area as we have not been in that situation.

In this particular customer, they were using EDI-based transaction processing. We have been able to transform them into the API journey.

EDI technology is of the past and API is the modern technology that has been leading in the digital transformation, enabling them to have consumption across various platforms. Whether it's a cloud, on-premises, or an applied solution.

Because we are trying to move away from the EDI, the initial setup wasn't that complex. The interfaces were already there in the EDI. This engagement is more to transform existing EDI-based approach to an API-based one. The business logic, more or less, is there. This initiative is more to help us decouple technical stack from the business process.

The API manager is managing the business interactions, whether it is the consumer onboarding or the customer decoupling them from the IT based EDI processing.

The EDI would require that the customer technology team and the company technology team communicate and work together to integrate the interface. Whereas here you don't need to worry about it. It's simple as a business consumer signing up for an API, and all they need is a link to click and get the URL into their space and then they are done.

It's an easier way to integrate their API. If you want to make it into a more robust application, that's a different process, but consumption-wise it's easier.

For those who do not want to integrate it into their applications, we have been giving them an application that they could just install from an App Store on their portal. This application will then expose the APIs available for use.  All they need to do is subscribe and get going.

Implementation was pretty simple in this particular engagement. We had a vision of how the API is going to be consumed and how many were needed. We paced ourselves in an agile model with a simplified storyboard and a proper velocity mapping of the activity.

It took anywhere from three to four weeks for each API to get them ready and we took it at our pace. We had released approximately ten API's in less than six months.

We had a six-member team for deployment, including the BA and project management. In the post-deployment, we only need three people to maintain.

We implemented this solution for our customer as an implementation partner.

We have not yet measured the ROI on this engagement yet.

It's being paid monthly.  It is comparable and falls in the mid range in the competitive landscape.

We have evaluated WSO2, APIGEE, MuleSoft with API Manager

What other advice do I have?

API and microservices based architectures is the modern architecture to enable organizations for digital growth.  With that said Microsoft Azure is definitely is in the top quadrant in this space and are investing to grow this service portfolio by leaps and bounds every day.

Based on our customer ecosystem and the predominant technology stack in use, the decision with Microsoft platform aligns well with their transformation roadmap. There is going to be some level of Microsoft cloud solutions in play.

Each customer has to conduct an assessment on the need for a platform based on the technical debt they are carrying along with people and process.  They need to take a look at the existing ecosystem, software technology stack, current ERP, and the applications that need to be integrated into API based platforms.

I would suggest Azure API Manager should be in your selection process.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

MB
Enterprise Infrastructure Architecture at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows use of VPN technology but could do with clearer configuration

• "Allows the possibility of VPN technology to connect your gateway directly with on-prem services"
  • "Could use clearer configuration when it comes to API policies."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for managing internal APIs, for ordering process APIs and in general process APIs, and resource manipulation APIs. We need an API management to get a better overview, and this is one use case with analytics parts. Another use case is security, being able to rotate API keys and to manage access at a signature point. Finally, we also have the developer portals with the self-service capabilities so that developers can request access to APIs through a developer portal and manage their own keys.

We are still in the ramp-up phase, so currently we have actively two or three guys using it. We're planning to increase usage. We're in partnership with Microsoft and I'm an enterprise architect.

What is most valuable?

It's not the best product on the market which makes it difficult to pick a particular point that we like the best. It could be the integration in the Azure portal. In the Azure cloud it's directly connected with Azure ID, so if you stay in the Azure ecosystem, this user concept is an advantage. The solution also allows you the possibility to use VPN technology and things like that to connect your gateway directly with on-prem services and that's a valuable feature. And compared to other solutions the price is outstanding.

What needs improvement?

R&P, the publishing process could be improved. They are currently restructuring it, I believe.
I'm not technical but we noticed that the old developer portal got deprecated and they're introducing a new one. It's not polished and still requires some development. It's the same with the publisher portal which I believe they've now integrated into the Azure portal. They're just starting to work with hybrids so it still requires input.

It would be helpful if they were to include additional features and clearer configuration when it comes to API policies.

I've been using this solution for seven months.

The SaaS offering is stable but the hybrid isn't stable yet. It's under development.

By definition it's scalable, but I know there's a hard limit in requests per second. But this is officially documented in the price of the product so it is scalable but with limits. I believe for a scalable solution, probably KANN Enterprise would be best.

For beta, customer service was kind of difficult. But I think that we haven't gone further than the first level. It's a process, they first have to narrow down your requirements, it's not direct access to support with direct feedback. It will take time.

This is the first solution we evaluated and we chose it mainly in order to gain experience which is why we called it an experience project rather than a proof of concept project. We figured out that for our productive usage, we will select a different vendor.

I believe the initial set up is straightforward via the Azure portal. But setting up the policies for the APIs and all of that, I can't say. I've had feedback from a colleague working with it that at some point he wished things would be easier but I don't have first hand experience.

As mentioned, this is the only option we looked at. We chose Azure because it's easy to deploy and it's cheap. It's a good starting point and if they develop it further, it might be good for productive usage, especially if you are planning to use it as an API management platform for the services that are running in Azure. I think then there's no question.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a six out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oleksandr Gaysin
Senior Manager, Engineering at GlobalLogic
Good user management with excellent configuration capabilities and decent stability

• "The user management is pretty seamless."
  • "Technical support could be more flexible and try to meet the client's needs a bit more effectively."

What is most valuable?

The solution has pretty stable capabilities.

Their construction tool allows users to easily publish information about the API. It's basically just one click.

You can configure the subscription management onsite and link everything.

The developer portal that exposed the API documentation is great. You can just test the APIs in a very easy way.

The web portal is useful. You can build a pretty comprehensive portal where users can sign in and you can basically leave the API there.

The API management provided offers good integration with different management systems, like OpenID, for example.

The user management is pretty seamless.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is definitely an aspect that can be improved. They should offer an additional free tier. For example, if there was a tier for new accounts created, it may help their services by getting people onboarded. Once you will give access to someone and they try it they'll see, "Okay, it works and you can pretty quickly add something on top of it". After that, the client will end up staying, and probably paying.

The cost is also complex in terms of calculating how much everything will ultimately be priced at. It's not straightforward as it takes into account multiple factors.

The solution needs to provide more use cases so that we can refer them to clients. It will help answer any questions in relation to performance and load management.

I've been using the solution for about a year at this point.

There are some bugs that exist in this construction tool for the developer portal. We are submitting these bugs to Azure, so they already know about it. Overall, it's pretty stable.

In terms of Azure technical support, we've had no issues in regards to response times. They are prompt. However, in some particular cases, they unable to be flexible. For example, with MQTT blockers, while you might want another port, they might tell you to use the hosted solution in order to get them to configure it. We'd just like them to have more flexibility with requests like this.

In terms of corporate security nowadays, it's very important to be flexible. At the end of the day we get stuck in the bureaucracy. If they could practice flexibility, it would be better for their clients, who may not have the wiggle room on their end.

That said, we're mostly satisfied with their level of service.

The solution has a kind of calculator and it's not always straightforward to figure out the logic in pricing. There are lots of services that are managed in different ways. For a non-technical person, it's a nightmare to figure everything out.

At the end of the day, you have to build approximate pricing for the solution. According to my experiences in multiple projects, you do get preliminary pricing that is close to or the same as the estimate.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, for a particular client, we're using a managed version of the solution, however, in the future, I foresee us hosting it somewhere in the cloud.

We're using the most up to date version of the solution.

Overall, the solution has a lot of great features. There are a few bugs here and there, however, a the end of the day, there's lots of value provided.

I'd rate the solution at an eight, on a scale from one to ten. It's got a rather high cost and still has some areas that need some improvement. Otherwise, I'd rate it higher.

Hybrid Cloud

GD
Group Manager, Solution & Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to configure, simple to use, but might not be suited for all sized companies

• "I have found this solution to be easy to configure, simple to use, and flexible."
  • "If I compare this solution to others I have used in other phases of my life, having APIM being an Azure resource, it is easy to configure and deploy. However, this conversely reduced the flexibility. The difficulty is how do we configure it in a manner that a larger enterprise would probably want it to be. This creates a bit more complexity, working around the constraints of the resource itself. If comparing it to other solutions, it is more of a legacy design with an older approach. The various level components are still around resembling an on-premise type of design similar to other solutions, such as Apigee or Mulesoft. They are still predominantly carrying some legacy design. Which might be suited for organizations where they have a more complex network layout. APIM is easy to deploy, but on the other side of that, it is constrained to how Azure has designed it to be."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because when there is a technical requirement sometimes there are technical constraints that need to be overcome, and that is best resolved through the API component. My organization predominately uses Microsoft solutions and this is why we are using this particular solution.

What is most valuable?

I have found this solution to be easy to configure, simple to use, and flexible.

What needs improvement?

If I compare this solution to others I have used in other phases of my life, having APIM being an Azure resource, it is easy to configure and deploy. However, this conversely reduced the flexibility. The difficulty is how do we configure it in a manner that a larger enterprise would probably want it to be. This creates a bit more complexity, working around the constraints of the resource itself. If comparing it to other solutions, it is more of a legacy design with an older approach. The various level components are still around resembling an on-premise type of design similar to other solutions, such as Apigee or Mulesoft. They are still predominantly carrying some legacy design. Which might be suited for organizations where they have a more complex network layout. APIM is easy to deploy, but on the other side of that, it is constrained to how Azure has designed it to be.

In an upcoming release, if not already added through an update, I think dynamic provisioning of the resource would be useful. Many times these API platforms, including others, such as Apigee, are still predominantly revolving around developers. The onboarding and the API life cycle are still revolving around humans. In this context, I would not suggest DevOps, but at least automation of common pipelines. If the platform can better support this in the workflow to provision and commission an API that would be beneficial as we work towards a more automated deployment concept. Even though there are templates, graphics, and API management commands right now, you are still in a way programmed deeply, customizing that workflow, as opposed to it being part of the platform itself.

I have been using Azure solutions for approximately four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable because it is a cloud service offering.

I have previously used Apigee and Mulesoft.

Since this is a cloud-based solution you have to abide by those financial limits, this creates some different challenges compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is in all technology areas, each solution is use case-specific. If you are already working on the pure Azure Stack, then APIM is something that I would suggest. Unless you have a very complicated API development use case I would not try to deploy, for example, Mulesoft or Apigee on Azure. Assuming you are working on a full Azure Stack solution.

Since it is use case-specific, rather than trying to build out. I would rather use the other repertoire of Azure to do the API development, as opposed to trying to deploy other solutions under the platform and develop from there.

My philosophy is always, use what is available, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Mulesoft may be powerful, but it is putting the cart on top of the wheel and try to build something on the cart. It is not a native approach.

I rate Microsoft Azure API Management a seven out of ten.

Anurag-Bhatnagar
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, easy to use, and the developer portal is very helpful

• "The most valuable feature is the developer portal, which has source code examples in various programming languages to help developers learn the API."
  • "This solution is only available as a cloud-based deployment and it would be very helpful to have an on-premises version."

What is our primary use case?

We are publishing microservices using API management. We have created various packages and policies that we are applying over there. We have also created a portal for developers so that they can see what we are doing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the developer portal, which has source code examples in various programming languages to help developers learn the API.

It is possible to combine APIs and make a new product, which is a very good feature.

It is very user-friendly and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

This solution is only available as a cloud-based deployment and it would be very helpful to have an on-premises version. This is driven by the fact that some of our clients have specific requirements and they do not want to be on the cloud.

I would like to have an administrator's option that shows me API usage and can generate bills that I can send to my customers. Currently, our customers can see the usage but not how much it is going to cost. For example, assume that you get 100 calls for free and then 100 more free each month, but after than, each call costs twenty cents or one cent, whatever the price is. The administrator can generate reports when the bills are available and can charge them to the customer. This could be done with a monetization module, which would be better than the manual calculations that we have to do now.

I have been using Azure API Management for almost one year.

I think that this is a stable solution.

Microsoft handles the scalability so you don't need to worry about it.

Microsoft's technical support is okay. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate them an eight.

Your first response will be fast but after that, it will be slow. Then, the technician might just say that they are not the right contact. From opening the ticket until final closure will take time. Generally, it takes the experts some time to comment. Unfortunately, everywhere is like that.

We did not use another API management solution prior to this one. We were developing applications and then moved into APIs.

The initial setup is very simple. Within a few days, one can understand completely how to use it. It does not require deployment because it is available on the cloud and everything is ready. In fact, there is no installation at all.

It will take some time to onboard your API and define your policies, such as those for security. It should take about ten minutes to get up and running.

We considered other options; however, our client is mainly a Microsoft shop and they were already using Azure for various things. As such, we did not fully evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

This is absolutely a solution that I would recommend for others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

SK
Solution Architect at a sports company with 201-500 employees
Good API hosting and management and very stable

• "The API management and the hosting of the API platform are great."
  • "The documentation could be improved for the customer."

What is our primary use case?

We have company-wide APIs which are hosted in Niger, and some of the external clients access the applications via the API, and we provide the post-data information. The clients get their data from our larger API.

What is most valuable?

The way the API management handles the calls and call throttling is excellent.

The API management and the hosting of the API platform are great.

What needs improvement?

We haven't used API model that much, so I'm not in a good position to say recommendations as we are still exploring the Azure API management. We need more time to fully take in the solution before pointing our its flaws.

The documentation could be improved for the customer. The instructions on the district API and the initial stages of working with the solution need to be documented better so that users are more informed and they can have an improved experience.

I've been using the solution for three years now.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't had any issues. I can't recall bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so quite easily.

Currently, we have between 500-600 users in our organization on the solution.

We haven't really used technical support too often. Therefore, I can't really speak to their level of knowledge or responsiveness to issues.

We previously used IBM Open Shift. We switched due to the fact that the company was going to Azure and we didn't want multiple clients.

The initial setup isn't too difficult and doesn't take too long. You need to handle it to have the management gateway. Of course, every time it is deployed, then it needs to be configured to work with API. That could take some time.

For the deployment and maintenance, the size of the team you need depends on the project. We had a couple of developers on ours, for example.

I assisted with the implementation. I tend to handle it myself.

It's my understanding that the licensing is very clear. However, I'm not involved in it in any way, and therefore, I'm not sure what the cost structure is.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

We do plan to continue to use the product going forward.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution. It depends on how their organization and architecture is, and if they're doing on-prem or cloud, depending on the requirement. It's very hard to say.

That said, I would rate it overall at eight out of ten.

RandallMcClure
Enterprise Architect at Pink Brain Technologies
It's very easy to get started but I would like to see them actually support out of the box

• "We're pretty much using all of the monetizations features out of the API manager so we can put up a portal and have a dev portal and then a prod portal and do rate limiting."
  • "They're trying to implement versioning and trying to be able to manage different versions of your API all at the same time, but they're not doing that just quite right yet."

What is our primary use case?

They're doing integration work between a lot of different on-premises business platforms, like Salesforce and NetSuite. We're doing integration work, but we're putting all of our APIs into the Azure cloud and using that API manager at this time.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a year.

We haven't had any issues with stability. Those things are pretty solid.

I haven't dug too deeply into how to scale it yet. My current customer doesn't have a high volume of stuff yet.

In terms of users, there are only two or three of us engineers that deal with it directly. We're running several dozen APIs that are production APIs.

I give technical support a solid B rating. They're not bad on doing support at all. They're not necessarily fast, but they're not bad.

It's very straightforward to set it up. It really is. That's one of its strengths, that it's very easy to get started.

The versioning makes deployments more complicated than you would like, so you have to build some of your own toolings.

Licensing is the tricky part. For Azure, if you have your Azure subscription, the API Management is a free tool. There's no extra cost for that.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to choose wisely. Look around. That's the free entry stuff, so that's why I'm kind of looking around for another tooling solution, to see if I can get more full-featured support.

In the next release, I would love to see them actually support out of the box, like a canary deployment pattern, or out of the box just a blue-green rolling deployment pattern. Right now, how you want to do your deployments, you've got to tool it yourself.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. They're not bad.

Paul-Emmanuel BREC
IT Enterprise Architect - Middleware & Integration at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Stable, good pricing, and integrates well with other Azure services

• "The solution is quite stable. We have no issues with it. there have been no crashes and we haven't experienced bugs or glitches. It's been quite reliable."
  • "The portal where we publish the APIs could be improved. Maybe this is because we didn't configure it. It is quite easy to bypass API management because we have a lot of information shared on the portal, where we publish our APIs. I worry there is potential for a security breach in the API publishing. There needs to be more security available on terms of the way we publish them."

How has it helped my organization?

Using an API management tool was new for us and it's definitely brought us a lot of value since implementation.

What is most valuable?

The way the solution integrates with other Azure services is its most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The portal where we publish the APIs could be improved. Maybe this is because we didn't configure it. It is quite easy to bypass API management because we have a lot of information shared on the portal, where we publish our APIs. I worry there is potential for a security breach in the API publishing. There needs to be more security available on terms of the way we publish them.

We've been using the solution for three years now.

The solution is totally scalable. If a company needs to build out the solution to expand it, they can do so easily.

Support is very good. We have a direct line of contact with Microsoft product management's technical support. Contacting Microsoft has been very easy. It's perfect.

I did not participate in the installation. However, from the information I have received, it was quite difficult. It wasn't difficult because of the solution itself but because, for us, it was a totally new solution. We had no experience with it. If a company has a lot of experience with Azure API Management, it would be rather straightforward.

The pricing of the product is reasonable. It was one of the selling points for us when we were looking for a solution for our company.

We did evaluate a few other solutions before ultimately going with Microsoft. We looked at MuleSoft, for example, but it was a totally new environment for us. Another solution didn't have the level of maturity we wanted in a cloud product. Microsoft was also new, however, we had a lot of contacts there and we had all of their interfaces. After looking at the pricing and features, it ended up being the best option.

What other advice do I have?

So far, we've been very happy with the solution.

I'd rate it eight out of ten overall.

Private Cloud

Product Categories
API Management
Download our free Microsoft Azure API Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.