AN
Lead Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates well with Microsoft environments, uncomplicated install, but better options available

• "The initial setup is not that complex, but there are certain challenges."
  • "From my understanding, there are some constraints around governance and service-to-service intercommunication managing priorities and our own governance."

What is our primary use case?

We have two approaches to how we use the solution. We own the managed services and the other we have customers take the subscription and we manage it.

What needs improvement?

From my understanding, there are some constraints around governance and service-to-service intercommunication managing priorities and our own governance. Examples include, how you manage all your clusters, the entire service communication, and having more tolerant experts.

I have been using the solution for approximately one year.

The technical support has not been the greatest. Microsoft has been outsourcing its support services and we have quite a few challenges in terms of technical support. We rarely asked them for anything and try to find the solution ourselves. This has been our most recent experience. However, there are certain advantages as well. Now you have a large internet resource pool to support Azure. This balances the support out, but otherwise, if you are looking for very specific support, there will be some challenges for your teams.

The initial setup is not that complex, but there are certain challenges.

We are limited to what choice of solution we can purchase. There are multiple aspects here. If it is a choice that we have to make, then we do it based on the requirement or recommendations, such as GCP, AWS, or Azure platform. However, given the present circumstances, the customer base that I am supporting at the moment is all Microsoft shop customers. Their inclination is always towards Microsoft-based solutions. That is where it has left us with no choice, but to go with Azure. While we still recommend this solution in some cases, for instance, analytics and where we need the big data solutions. We have been pushing for a GCP and in some cases to have AWS as well. For now Azure is the platform and this has been the journey that has left us with no choice but to go with it. Based on the resources that we are leveraging, the price we are paying to use this solution is slightly higher than other competitors. In a few cases, it has its own advantage in some resources.

I have evaluated GCP and AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement this solution that they can use this solution if it fits their deployment criteria. However, there are better options available.

I rate Microsoft Azure API Management a seven out of ten.

RobertSchlachta
Managing Director at Ebiz consulting gmbh
Excellent for easy integration with the entire Microsoft system

• "Ease of integration into the entire Microsoft environment."
  • "Multi-tenant functionalities is missing from the system, especially when it comes to the developer code of features."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for managing APIs - for internal as well as for external communication.

Furthermore we enable transparency, governance and re-use.

How has it helped my organization?

- Being a PaaS component it helped reducing maintance efforts
- Homogenous solution for information exchange between internal and external stakeholders

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the easy integration into the entire Microsoft environment, like Access Directory, the collaboration tooling, the development tooling, basically the integration into the Microsoft universe.

What needs improvement?

Multi-tenant functionalities is missing from the system, especially when it comes to purpose specific requirements such as CI, branding, language, content structure. If you're aware of the details of API Management provided by Azure, there are two areas. One is for developers, and the other is for consumers. In order to support the best, or all the different use cases we have, the multi-tenant support would be appreciated.

I've been using the product for about three years.

The product is stable, it's good. It depends a little bit on the tier, on the different settings, and different customizations that are possible. But in general, it's a stable solution.

Technical support to a certain extent is good, it's available in the internet, if you wish. The moment you need to reach out for serious technical support in terms of incidents, or on-site support, or whatever, it becomes a little more challenging.

The initial setup for us was easy. It helps that we have Azure knowledge within the company.

Understand the different Tiers (from small to large including VNet-integrated express route)

Start small and be aware that the developer version has all features enabled which also requires the highest possible Tier.

What other advice do I have?

Approach API Management in the two areas "tooling" and "governance".

Tooling required end-to-end thinking from a developer, consumer and infrastructure perspective. For each multiple examples can be shared.

For governance start with the obvious fitting to your organization. Do not follow all recommendations from the start, hence expect an iterative approach.

I would recommend this product and would rate it an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
John Liu
Integration Architect at a wellness & fitness company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use compared to other products and enables us to manage the API

• "It's easy to use compared to other products. It's easy to set up."
  • "Other products have more customization options."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage the API. We have a backend API with service in the backend. We use API Management in the front to manage the vendors. They can do their own testing. It's quicker for us to put in the specifications so we can knock off the responses. We build the specs and then get an external developer to start the development without the web service being ready.

We also use it for the security and for the clock in features.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use compared to other products. It's easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

Other products offer more customization options.

I have been using this solution for six months.

We haven't had any issues with it since we set it up. It's quite stable.

We don't need to worry about scalability. We just use it. It works on demand because it's on the cloud.

We are not a Microsoft shop, we just started using it. We haven't contacted technical support yet.

I also used Tibco Mashery. There aren't so many differences. The biggest difference is that you can run it on-prem while you can't do that with Microsoft Azure API Management.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It took less than one day, around a couple of hours total. It's pretty quick. I deployed it myself with some product documentation.

What other advice do I have?

You can't use this on-premise. If you want to run on-premise you would have to get a different product. Other than that, it's easy to use and start up. There is a lot of support available from the community online. You can do a domain name yourself with Microsoft, as opposed to other products where you need to contact support in order to set up a domain.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

I can't give a ten out of ten because I'm not experienced enough with it. So far so good, though.

SA
Integration Architect at a translation and localization position with 11-50 employees
Has multifactor authentication and good integration with Active Directory for better security features

• "The integration with Azure Active Directory is a good security feature for authentication and authorization. There is multifactor authentication. You can also use all of the Azure AD features integrated with API Management."
  • "There is always room for improvement. There should be more analytics abilities so you can know how much traffic there is. Log Analyzer isn't well integrated with this solution."

What is most valuable?

The integration with Azure Active Directory is a good security feature for authentication and authorization. There is multifactor authentication. You can also use all of the Azure AD features integrated with API Management.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. There should be more analytics abilities so you can know how much traffic there is. Log Analyzer isn't well integrated with this solution.

I have been using this solution for two to three years.

It's on the cloud, we don't have any hiccups or problems with the stability.

The technical support is pretty good. Sometimes it's slow. It depends on each case. Sometimes they need to engage with the US and there's a big time difference between there and Australia so it takes longer.

Our public APIs are mostly in Axway. B2C APIs are a combination of Azure and AWS. Cost is a big difference. Axway offers two solutions. One on-prem and the other option is cloud. It's not a SAS solution, they host us in AWS but we can push the costs for version upgrades. It's much more expensive than Azure or AWS.

You have to read about how to do it four or five times and then you can implement it. It's a publicly accessible API so it needs a security layer and then you can secure it. Otherwise, anybody can access it. You need proper controls, authentication, and authorization. You need to sort this out first.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend doing a combination of AWS API Gateway and Azure API Management. You can authenticate APIs in Azure Active Directory and from there you expose all of your serverless components and use them as a backend with Azure. But it depends on what your use case is. It can be used as a combination or as a standalone.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

To make it a ten, there should be better analytics features so we can know how our product is performing.

PP
Senior Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with fair pricing and good technical support

• "The ease of use of the solution is excellent."
  • "In the API you need to delete the suffix. It is annoying that you need to have a suffix. We can add a suffix at the API level, not at the operation level, and that could be improved on."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to manage our APIs.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use of the solution is excellent. It's a very user-friendly solution.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

We found the solution to be very stable.

The solution can scale if you need it to.

Technical support is very helpful.

The solution has very fair pricing.

What needs improvement?

The lack of wording in the API could be improved. In the API you need to delete the suffix. It is annoying that you need to have a suffix. We can add a suffix at the API level, not at the operation level, and that could be improved on.

There are a couple of features that are lagging.

I've been working with the solution for five years or so. It's been a few years at this point.

We have found the solution to be quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

We have about 15-20 users on the solution so far.

Technical support has been very good. They are quite helpful and responsive. We are very satisfied with the level of support provided to us.

The initial setup is straightforward. A company shouldn't have any problems during the process.

The cost of the solution is very fair. It's not overly expensive. It offers very good value.

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft partners.

I'd recommend the solution to other individuals and organizations. Overall, I've been quite satisfied with its capabilities.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

JL
Branch Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
High performance, reasonably priced, and stable

• "The solution has overall high performance."
  • "Microsoft Azure API Management could improve by having better integration with third-party solutions."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Microsoft Azure API Management to connect external systems.

What is most valuable?

The solution has overall high performance.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, there should be more focus on API lifecycle management, such as MuleSoft provides and the API gateway is not comprehensive enough, we need to put a lot of extra effort doing manual work.

I have been using Microsoft Azure API Management for half a year.

The solution is stable.

For what we have been using the solution for it has been scalable.

Our company is a medium-size using this solution.

We have found some configuration that is not supported by the solution yet. There is room for improvement in their support.

I would rate the technical support of Microsoft Azure API Management a four out of five.

The setup and configuration are very quick.

The price of the solution is reasonable compared to others.

We are still looking for a better API-optimized solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for some small and medium-sized projects, as it is quite easy and effective to start with. I am not sure if it is suited for large companies that have heavily loaded APIs which the solution might not be able to support.

I rate Microsoft Azure API Management an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Nagesh Paramesh
Head - Data & Digital Service line(s), BFSI Cluster at slk software
Good technical support, but the scalability and performance need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a software firm and this is one of the solutions that we provide for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The package as a whole is useful for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The API gateway, when it is deployed, is not as robust as Apigee. I would like to see better scalability and better performance. Performance is important for us.

I have been using Azure API Management for the past two or three years.

Stability-wise it has a ways to go, although it has also come a long way since we first started using it. The issues that we have had are related to performance. Otherwise, it should be fine.

What do I think about the scalability of

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The package as a whole is useful for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The API gateway, when it is deployed, is not as robust as Apigee.

I have been using Azure API Management for the past two or three years.

Scalability is something that is still maturing.

I have been in contact with Microsoft technical support and I would say that it's good overall.

We have also used Apigee and Azure API Management is not as robust.

I would not say that the initial setup is easy or tough, but in the middle. It can be difficult in that you need to know the components in order to use this solution to its full extent.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the use case and what we are building. It can take a month or sometimes, three months.

What other advice do I have?

We do not use one particular feature over another. Rather, it is the whole package that is useful.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

CO
Executive Director Finance & Strategy at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to install, has good support, and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure API Management with a custom software solution.

What is most valuable?

I like the stability and the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The licensing fees should be cheaper.

I have been using Microsoft Azure API Management for three years.

Microsoft Azure API Management is a stable product.

It is a scalable solution. We have 60 users in our organization who use this solution.

Technical support is good.

I knew MuleSoft Anypoint. I worked with it for two years.…

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure API Management with a custom software solution.

What is most valuable?

I like the stability and the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The licensing fees should be cheaper.

I have been using Microsoft Azure API Management for three years.

Microsoft Azure API Management is a stable product.

Technical support is good.

I knew MuleSoft Anypoint. I worked with it for two years.

It was better for the enterprise architecture to use Microsoft Azure API Management.

Microsoft Azure API Management is easy to install.

We have a team of four engineers and managers to maintain this solution.

The licensing fees are expensive. I would like it to be cheaper.

Our licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Microsoft Azure API Management an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
API Management
Download our free Microsoft Azure API Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.