Microsoft Azure App Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure App Service is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Microsoft PowerApps: Microsoft Azure App Service vs Microsoft PowerApps

What is Microsoft Azure App Service?

Azure App Service Web Apps (or just Web Apps) is a service for hosting web applications, REST APIs, and mobile back ends. You can develop in your favorite language, be it .NET, .NET Core, Java, Ruby, Node.js, PHP, or Python. Applications run and scale with ease on Windows-based environments.

Microsoft Azure App Service is also known as Azure App Service, MS Azure App Service.

Microsoft Azure App Service Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure App Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Microsoft Azure App Service Customers

Real Madrid, Absolut, AccuWeather, Heineken, NBC News, Paramount

Microsoft Azure App Service Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure App Service pricing:
  • "Azure doesn't cost as much as other services."
  • "Less than USD $100 per month."
  • "We have no complaints about the pricing."

Microsoft Azure App Service Reviews

SM
Architect at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It saves us time and money and installation is really easy

• "The program is stable and we've had no technical issues so far."
  • "I would like to see faster adoption and templates that we can use."

What is our primary use case?

We wanted to build a web application, so we started exploring whether we should do it on-premise or on cloud. We already had an Azure subscription and then we decided to do it on Azure. I like the solution because if you want to do something, even if it is a simple proof of concept, you can use a daily subscription. You can do it within minutes and it makes things move a lot faster compared to traditional data center models.

How has it helped my organization?

With this solution, it takes less time to deploy something. So in terms of timelines and user satisfaction, the users are happy.

What is most valuable?

I like that you can see everything once you log on to the portals. You can see everything including the pricing of the solution. You know how much it's going to cost your client, how much it is going to cost you monthly or daily and you can even control the usage so that you pay even less. So you have better control over things.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see faster adoption and maybe they can give you some templates, so that we can deploy something and then modify the template. For instance, having templates for creating a website will make things faster and easier.

I have been using the solution for three months now.

The program is stable and we've had no technical issues so far.

The program is very scalable and we plan to scale to 600 or 700 users.

We've tried many other options but the problem is we are using a product from a vendor and ideally, this functionality should be made available in that product. But we're using Azure App Service and then give users a temporary solution because we don't want to change the product that they are using because their mobile devices are very old. It's going to be a waste of money when they will any replace it in a year's time. It is more expensive to upgrade that product than developing something cheap on Azure App Service.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment is fast if you just want to create a roadmap and the database, but that is if you know what you're doing. If the deployment is too complex, you might want to use an expert to help you. I'm not familiar with the technology and I haven't done web development myself. But I just followed some articles and then did everything myself. So it's not difficult at all. You can also go to Azure's web portal and follow their instructions.

Azure doesn't cost as much as other services. If you want to create something, you can create it all on Azure, simple and quick. If you have to do it on-premise, you have to follow some steps. And you have to pay for providing virtual machines and buy licenses for all the products you are going to use, like Windows or SQL. But on Azure, you can use a trial account so that you can see how it works, or you can use your day subscription, which is a lot cheaper.

We didn't try many other options because we already had an Azure subscription. So it was a very easy decision to make and we didn't explore other options. Our version is a little bit outdated, so we plan on upgrading soon. The next version has all the functionality we are looking for. Our main concern is speed, and that is one of the features we like about Azure.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to occupy the use cases from businesses to see if this works for you. It is really easy. I give this solution a nine out of ten. In the future, I would like to have a template for development, though.

Brian Sullivan
Chief Analytics Officer at Idiro Analytics
Still familiarizing ourselves, but the data factory tool has proved to be most beneficial

• "Azure data factory is a good tool."
  • "Lacking somewhat in template data flows."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of the solution is for ETL. We're slowly moving everything over to Azure, so I think this will be our expected hub for the near future. I'm the chief analytics officer and we are a Microsoft partner.

What is most valuable?

The Azure data factory is the tool we're using the most. And again, we're using it for moving data around and data management. For now, we're pretty happy with the product although we're probably using it in a slightly more limited way. All the tasks we've done would have some reasonable degree of complexity and we've been able to achieve those tasks, or complete those processes. We're still getting familiar with it.

What needs improvement?

There has been some building of pipelines where we've had to test and redesign a little so if there were maybe some easier to setup guides or more template data flows that would be an improvement. It would simplify the center processes. It would probably be impossible to have a template for everyone, but maybe there's some way to kind of simplify the initial stack and point frame for new users like ourselves, to make getting off the ground a little bit easier.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

The solution is stable. We don't have very large data volumes and we haven't yet migrated high data processing power onto the cloud.

We haven't been attempting to push the boundaries in scalability. It's probably something we will gradually get to, maybe over the next six to 12 months where we will be migrating some additional processes and workload onto the cloud that we may start to see if scalability becomes an issue.

We haven't yet needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup was reasonably straightforward. We've kind of been taking slow steps and migrating requirements as we gradually move certain tasks or certain processes into the cloud. We've done all the deployment ourselves.

I think at the moment we're spending less than USD $100 a month. Because we're a Microsoft partner, we get a certain amount of credit on our partner account, but I don't think we've spent more than about $100, maybe $200 in a single month.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. I would suggest giving yourself time to learn and adapt to the product. A lot of people would probably come to it having some historic or some existing software product in place and they're maybe migrating onto it. And so it will likely involve changing or redesigning how some existing process works. It's a good time to kind of learn some of the intricacies or the way Azure operates that might be slightly different to what they do on-premise. Ultimately it seems like it can do anything that you might be doing with a different tool or in a different location. It's just a matter of figuring out the configurations and the process.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure App Service. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ST
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable with an easy initial setup and good infrastructure

• "It's a platform as a service, so we don't have to manage the infrastructure to hold the websites."
  • "The solution needs better integration capabilities on the network side."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to create a website. Azure will provide infrastructure without any servers and can provide service to host the websites of the company.

What is most valuable?

The reason that we are using the product is for the stability that they have.

It's a platform as a service, so we don't have to manage the infrastructure to hold the websites. We use it more for the confidence that it's going to be up and running and is easier for us to maintain.

What needs improvement?

The network side needs improvement. It has to be more stable. Sometimes we have issues with the network side when we expand the solution. You need to find stability in order to expand the solution properly. When we do that, or we add another app service through the app service plan, we have issues with the network, and we lose communication between our data center and the app service.

The solution needs better integration capabilities on the network side. There should be more options, for example, to update the DNS server, straight to the app service.

I've been using the solution for six months. It's been less than a year, so it hasn't been too long.

The stability isn't as good as we need it to be on the network side. When we try to expand, we run into problems with the network. However, in general, we find the solution fairly stable.

The scalability is affected by the stability of the solution which isn't perfect. You definitely need multiple resources in order to scale effectively.

We have about 500 users on the website at this point. It's new, so people are just getting there.

Technical support is pretty good. Overall, I'd rate it eight out of ten.

We have their premier support. I've found that the response is getting slower on some cases. They could be faster, however, that's something that's always on the support team. Everyone always wants faster answers.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It's very straightforward. The best part is how quickly you can deploy the solution. It's just two or three clicks and you are up and running.

Overall, the deployment is good as, apart from this viable network, we have actually a 90.999% of it up and running.

Azure is a pay-as-you-go type of service. It's my understanding that the pricing is okay, however, it's not an issue I deal with directly.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft partner.

I'd advise other users just to be sure that they have all of the components on the Azure side in order to do the hybrid configuration. From my experience, that will give you better performance if you have everything on there. That, and it will be totally clear and you won't mix anything up with some private stuff.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

RK
Technical Architect at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Feature-rich, fantastic technical support, and debugging is easier with Application Insights

• "Debugging using Application Insights is a valuable feature."
  • "Initially, there were some rare instances when the server went down because it was deployed on Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We have our application on Azure and it does a REST call through the App Service, which in turn connects to our on-premises database.

We are using Tomcat and Java in conjunction with this service.

This product is user-friendly and the customization is good.

How has it helped my organization?

We wanted an application that we can use on the cloud to expose services outside of our premises. Azure provides a good platform and the integration is very strong, as well as scalable. You don't have to worry about procuring a server or maintaining it. You simply write the code, deploy it, and Azure takes care of the scaling and everything else.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features, such as scaling up and scaling down.

Debugging using Application Insights is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Initially, there were some rare instances when the server went down because it was deployed on Linux. There are some features that are not available on the Linux-based deployment, yet are available on Windows. This is something that I think Microsoft has now caught up.

I have been using the Azure App Service for the past year.

We haven't had any issues with respect to stability.

It scales very well and in the case of our environment, it is good. We have approximately 20,000 people who are using the application.

The technical support is fantastic. We have calls with Microsoft every couple of weeks and they have been very helpful in giving us insights.

We were using Oracle prior to Azure, but that was on-premises. When we made the transition to the cloud, the company opted for Azure.

The initial setup is simple.

We have no complaints about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Everything looks good and we are happy with this product. It seems to have everything that we need and I haven't seen any limitations. My advice to anybody who is looking at it is that it's a good platform to start building your integrations.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Manikandan Surendranath
DGM (Software) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Offers a good feature set and has a user-friendly look and feel

• "Overall, all of the features are very good."
  • "I am new to the intervention and I find it difficult to find my way around the user interface. I have my own learning tool. However, it could be simpler for new users."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case has been pretty vague so far. Right now, my scope is on DevOps. I'm looking at it from the point of view of having a DevOps platform. We already have a team foundation server and are working from the cloud.

What is most valuable?

For me, the DDT has been very valuable.

The code is very good. We are using that. We are currently exploring Azure Codes and Artifacts.

Overall, all of the features are very good.

It's a Microsoft solution, so it's very familiar in look and feel.

What needs improvement?

It's too early to really say what features are lacking at this point.

I am new to the intervention and I find it difficult to find my way around the user interface. I have my own learning tool. However, it could be simpler for new users.

The pricing could be a bit less.

We haven't been using the solution for too long.

So far, the solution's stability is very good. We have no complaints.

We haven't found any issues with scalability so far. It's been quite good.

We haven't requested any troubleshooting or help so far, as we haven't used the solution for too long just yet.

The deployment varies, but could take up to one or two months. There are a few things we are currently trying. We were looking for a CATD type of model.

We have our own team that is able to maintain the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We've had a long business relationship with Microsoft. We're partners.

We're still in the process of exploring the solution. However, so far, I would recommend it. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
AS
Regional Business Intelligence Lead at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Good Data Factory features and good scalability but the stability could be improved

What is most valuable?

The Data Factory is very good, as is the SSIS, which I also use on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the solution needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for three months.

We're still testing the product. We occasionally have some problems and get some errors. Right now, we have a lot of issues with it.

The product is scalable.

The solution is quite expensive. If you need more features, you need to pay for them.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.…

What is most valuable?

The Data Factory is very good, as is the SSIS, which I also use on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the solution needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for three months.

The product is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. There are other solutions that seem to be okay as well. Windows, for example, has a good protocol. There's also AWS, but it's just on the cloud.