Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Overview

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Web Application Firewalls. It is most often compared to AWS WAF: Microsoft Azure Application Gateway vs AWS WAF

What is Microsoft Azure Application Gateway?

Azure Application Gateway is a web traffic load balancer that enables you to manage traffic to your web applications. Traditional load balancers operate at the transport layer (OSI layer 4 - TCP and UDP) and route traffic based on source IP address and port, to a destination IP address and port.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is also known as Azure Application Gateway.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Customers
Lilly, AccuWeather, AIRFRANCE, Honeywell,
Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Video

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Reviews

reviewer1288212
Network Administrator at a government with 201-500 employees
Sep 27, 2020
Needs better security and functionality, and requires more intelligence to make it competitive

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution to try to protect a few internet-facing applications that we had.

• "The solution was very easy to configure. It wasn't hard at all to adjust it to our needs."
  • "The security of the product could be adjusted."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft. We tend to use the latest versions of the solution. I wouldn't recommend the solution. I'd advise others to look for something else on the market that has access to a cloud. I'd rate the solution one out of ten. It's a security product that needs to be functional, and at this point, it's simply not.
Sukun Jain
Senior Software Engineer at Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
May 20, 2020
Secures our internal applications and hides them from outside connections

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to hide all of our applications behind the firewall. The application logic and dependencies are not known to the outside world because you don't have to open your external public IP to them. It does not particularly improve functionality but you get the benefit of the security that is offered by Azure.

• "This is a SaaS product, so it is always up to date."
  • "For the first-time user, it is difficult to understand so the user-interface needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that it is not a must-have feature, but rather, a security service. If you're ready to bear the cost for security then you should implement the application gateway. This is a product that is in good shape. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, F5, HAProxy and others in Application Delivery Controllers. Updated: January 2021.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1487883
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 15, 2021
Easy to set up, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution during application deployments. I use it to protect the applications.

• "The solution is easy to set up."
  • "The configuration is very specific right now and needs to be much more flexible."

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Microsoft. While, at this moment, Azure is only on the public cloud at this moment, the applications are all deployed on-premises. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, we've had a good experience. I would rate this product at a nine out of ten.
reviewer1475799
Cloud Solutions Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 30, 2020
Easy to work with, has good pricing, and is quite scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to just secure the traffic coming from the outside into our application.

• "The pricing is quite good."
  • "The monitoring on the solution could be better."

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft partners. I would recommend this product to people. It's safe and Microsoft recommends it as well. Up until this point, it's working great for us. It's excellent at catching attacks and suspicious content. Overall, I would rate it at a ten out of ten. It works well for us and offers good performance.
reviewer957105
Asst. Vice President at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Mar 9, 2020
Stable and simple to use with good technical support

• "The simplicity of the solution and its ability to integrate easily with others are its most valuable aspects."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved. Right now, it's a bit expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with the solution. We are only customers. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using. I would recommend to other companies considering the solution to run through a proof of concept first. Everyone's needs are different, so it's important to make sure the solutions you choose are able to meet them effectively. That way, you'll be able to know if the solution will work for your company and if it makes sense to implement it or not. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
reviewer1450641
Consultant Azure Cloud Infra & Apps at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 3, 2020
Straightforward and stable with a valuable WAF feature

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for exposing services to the internet. We are Microsoft partners and I am the company's consultant for Azure Cloud Infra & Apps.

• "WAF feature replicates the firewall."
  • "Scalability can be an issue."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Systeamlead67
Systems Team Leader at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Sep 8, 2019
An excellent gateway solution with good control capabilities and great stability

What is our primary use case?

The gateway is used to make the application connect to the internet and apply some firewall rules on Layer 7. We primarily use Azure Gateway for printers, some requests, and to apply some security rules to all the traffic that is coming from inside the Azure network.

• "We chose this solution in the first place because it has access to Layer 7. I can control the requests and the content, which I can access on my network if I want to even if it's forbidden access to other external resources. If I want to monitor, for example, traffic, and apply this rule on Layer 7, I can do so. This was our main goal when implementing this application. We wanted to take advantage of the Gateway capabilities."
  • "The pricing of the solution is a bit high. The solution should offer different pricing systems."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model. We are both a customer and a reseller, but I myself have worked with Azure mainly as a customer. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
reviewer1412490
Security Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Sep 7, 2020
Great customization, provides alerts to our team who can take action

What is our primary use case?

The company uses this solution and I work along with security architects providing that as part of our recommendations for Azure projects. I'm a security specialist and the company has a maintenance enterprise agreement with Azure.

• "Good customization; able to report and take action on alerts."
  • "Needs easier integration with the existing SIAM."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product and easy to deploy, I would just suggest using the application waiver. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
See 1 more Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Reviews
Download our free Application Delivery Controllers Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, F5, HAProxy, and more!