Microsoft Azure Application Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is #2 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls and #3 ranked solution in top Application Delivery Controllers. IT Central Station users give Microsoft Azure Application Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is most commonly compared to Azure Front Door:Microsoft Azure Application Gateway vs Azure Front Door. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Microsoft Azure Application Gateway?

Azure Application Gateway is a web traffic load balancer that enables you to manage traffic to your web applications. Traditional load balancers operate at the transport layer (OSI layer 4 - TCP and UDP) and route traffic based on source IP address and port, to a destination IP address and port.

To learn more about our solution, ask questions, and share feedback, join our Microsoft Security, Compliance and Identity Community.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway was previously known as Azure Application Gateway, MS Azure Application Gateway.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Customers

Lilly, AccuWeather, AIRFRANCE, Honeywell

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure Application Gateway pricing:
  • "Between v1 and v2, there is a lot of change in the pricing. It is very costly compared to AWS."

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Reviews

BW
Network Administrator at a government with 201-500 employees
Needs better security and functionality, and requires more intelligence to make it competitive

• "The solution was very easy to configure. It wasn't hard at all to adjust it to our needs."
  • "The security of the product could be adjusted."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution to try to protect a few internet-facing applications that we had.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The functionality needs a lot of improvement.

The security of the product could be adjusted.

The scalability needs improvement.

Overall, it just wasn't a great product. It was lacking in a lot of areas.

Just watching the industry, it could be that Microsoft, is going to have to give more resources to it in order to make it work. Microsoft knows a lot about software. They're going to have to get more resources into it and add people and time to it to make it competitive. They may even need to consider some sort of acquisition to bring in new tech. Right now, the solution just isn't there in terms of what is needed and expected.

The solution simply has to be more comparable to other leading product s at this point. It's just lacking the overall intelligence to compete.

We've been playing around with the solution for about a year at this point.

The stability is good from the standpoint of it works like it was intended to work. That said, it's not really functional enough to be able to have any type of confidence in it. If stability for a company just means that it stands there and it does what it's supposed to do, then, from that standpoint, it's stable.

In terms of scalability, we looked at a lot of different things, and put a lot of work in, including meeting with Microsoft. However, truth be told, we know and Microsoft knows that the product is just not where it needs to be. It's not a secret. Therefore, I wouldn't say it's completely scalable.

Currently, there may be a few hundred people on the solution.

Microsoft has been with us throughout the process, and they've been pretty good from a technical support standpoint. We're satisfied with the level of service we have been provided.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't complex.

In terms of the configuration, one of the things users have to understand is that the configuration is very specific. Our knowledge may have slowed the process, however, I don't think it was a bad configuration process. We probably got it done and then tested it over the course of a month, or a few months, or so. That was just testing. Looking at everything within the configuration for what we needed only takes - it end to end - a day.

It doesn't take a genius to get everything up and running. You need a technical person that can follow the directions because you do have things outside of the software that has to be considered, however, it really doesn't take a genius to do it.

We only need three people to maintain the solution and deploy any updates.

I don't handle the billing aspect of the solution, therefore I don't know anything about the licensing costs for it.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We tend to use the latest versions of the solution.

I wouldn't recommend the solution. I'd advise others to look for something else on the market that has access to a cloud.

I'd rate the solution one out of ten. It's a security product that needs to be functional, and at this point, it's simply not.

Roopesh P
IT Manager at Nivaata System Pvt ltd
Provides security features comparable to AWS, but certificate updates take too long

• "It has a filter available, although we are not currently using it because it is not part of our requirements. But it is a good option and when it becomes part of our requirements we will definitely use it."
  • "It takes a lot of time for a certificate to update in the system. That is a huge drawback, affecting the load-balancing side. And when there are changes to the load balancing, it affects the end-user."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for application load balancing and scaling.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft Azure Application for the last six months.

I think the scalability is okay, but I haven't tried to scale it.

Application Gateway is tied into our applications. We have about 5,000 connections into Application Gateway, on average. There are around 800 to 900 requests per minute.

I have not had to contact Microsoft tech support about Azure Application Gateway.

Previously, we were in AWS. We just migrated to Azure.

The initial setup is straightforward. If you compare it with AWS, it's a little bit complicated, but overall, the technical aspects are very simple.

A normal Application Gateway deployment takes around 20 to 25 minutes, but again, the application of certificate changes takes around 20 to 25 minutes, so the total time involved is about one hour.

We did not use a third-party. Currently, I'm the only person handling the solution in our company. My main task in Application Gateway is configuration, as it's a service that is provided by Azure. There is not much more for me to do than configure it.

Between v1 and v2, there is a lot of change in the pricing. It is very costly compared to AWS. Our main implementation strategy is based around the pricing. If there are any technical features that we need to consider in addition, we will. If the prices for those additional features are okay then we will use them.

The features in both AWS and Azure seem to be comparable. We are enabling all the security features that were available in AWS.

From my few months of experience with Azure, the configuration changes we are making in Application Gateway, such as a certificate change, are taking more time to apply to the service. In AWS it was very quick. It would take less than one minute, but here it takes almost 10 minutes to apply that certificate. That time difference is huge. That is the only drawback or issue that I have faced with the Azure Application Gateway.

Other than that, the two services look the same.

What other advice do I have?

There are two versions of Application Gateway. Version 2 is a seven out of 10. I would rate version 1 at three to four out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure Application Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sukun Jain
Senior Software Engineer at Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
Secures our internal applications and hides them from outside connections

• "This is a SaaS product, so it is always up to date."
  • "For the first-time user, it is difficult to understand so the user-interface needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to hide all of our applications behind the firewall. The application logic and dependencies are not known to the outside world because you don't have to open your external public IP to them.

It does not particularly improve functionality but you get the benefit of the security that is offered by Azure.

How has it helped my organization?

The Azure Application Gateway allows us to hide all of our backend components from our clients.

What is most valuable?

This is a SaaS product, so it is always up to date.

Once the gateway is configured, you can route all of your client requests based on the relevant part. For example, if somebody is asking to upload an image then a separate part will be called, whereas if they are asking to upload a video then it will be a different repository.

What needs improvement?

The documentation is not user-friendly and it is not very easy to use. For the first-time user, it is difficult to understand so the user-interface needs to be improved.

The tutorials are something that can be improved upon.

I would like to see this more of a multitenant solution.

I have been working with the Azure Application Gateway for almost 11 months.

It is a good service that is provided by the vendor and it is stable.

It is getting more scalable as more features are being added.

We have not been in contact with technical support for this solution.

We use Microsoft products for the majority of our applications and we are completely dependent on them. We did use another service prior to this one, which was an internal tool, but we switched to Azure because everything is being controlled by the vendor.

The configuration involves defining all of the routes. This is somewhat complex and is not easily understandable by just anyone. Our deployment took about 15 minutes.

We have an internal team for deployment and maintenance.

We did not evaluate other options before selecting the Azure Application Gateway.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that it is not a must-have feature, but rather, a security service. If you're ready to bear the cost for security then you should implement the application gateway.

This is a product that is in good shape.

OR
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up, stable, and scalable

• "The solution is easy to set up."
  • "The configuration is very specific right now and needs to be much more flexible."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution during application deployments. I use it to protect the applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good protection of applications during deployment. It makes the deployment of applications that are on Azure fairly straightforward.

The solution is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

The configuration is very specific right now and needs to be much more flexible. They need to work on it so that it's much easier to configure the solution so that it works how we need it to. It needs to be customizable.

The firewall portion of the gateway is very basic. It needs to be improved upon. It needs to be more robust.

I've been using the solution for a while now.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. We've enjoyed the level of stability provided by the product.

The solution is quite scalable. If a company needs to expand it out a bit, it should be able to do so easily. It's not hard to do so if you need to.

We have about 40 people who are currently using the solution within our organization.

We've dealt with technical support in the past moreso in relation to the cloud solution. They helped us with some technical aspects and we found them to be quite helpful. We're satisfied with the level of support that we've been given so far.

I also have experience with Radware, Fortinet, and Check Point, among other solutions. We use a variety of different solutions within our organization.

The initial setup is not overly complex, to be honest. For our organization, it was quite an easy setup. It was straightforward. A company shouldn't struggle with getting it up and running.

Depending on the configuration, I can handle a deployment over the course of one day or so.

I was able to handle the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Microsoft.

While, at this moment, Azure is only on the public cloud at this moment, the applications are all deployed on-premises.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, we've had a good experience.

I would rate this product at a nine out of ten.

AA
Cloud Solutions Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to work with, has good pricing, and is quite scalable

• "The pricing is quite good."
  • "The monitoring on the solution could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to just secure the traffic coming from the outside into our application.

What is most valuable?

Overall, we've been happy with the solution.

The solution has good integrations. You can combine it between a few different options.

The product is easy to work with. It has a very high level of performance.

The solution is well supported by Mircosoft. If you run into issues, they are there to assist and to work with you to resolve everything.

The pricing is quite good.

What needs improvement?

Occasionally the solution is too secure and we need it to allow in specific traffic. It tends to cut that traffic off due to its high security settings.

The monitoring on the solution could be better.

The product requires better reporting capabilities. Currently, we need to have a third-party handle that aspect for us.

There needs to be more of a security center. That way, we're able to see everything that's going on in the system.

The product needs to offer DDoS protection.

I've been working on the solution for one year. It hasn't been too long at this point.

This solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues. It's been reliable.

When it comes to scalability, there are no limitations. Azure gives you whatever your environments need. It has all the capabilities to do what you require.

Technical support has been really great. It's one of its selling features. Microsoft is quite supportive and we've been very happy with their level of service so far.

The initial setup wasn't too complex. It was pretty straightforward. We didn't run into any issues in general.

The solution is quite reasonably priced. It costs less than other cloud solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft partners.

I would recommend this product to people. It's safe and Microsoft recommends it as well. Up until this point, it's working great for us. It's excellent at catching attacks and suspicious content.

Overall, I would rate it at a ten out of ten. It works well for us and offers good performance.

AB
System Administrator at a comms service provider
A web traffic load balancer with a useful WAF feature, but it could be more stable

• "The most valuable feature is WAF."
  • "It could be more stable, and support could be better. It would also be better if they offered more features. For example, it lacks security features. Before we used another English solution, and we realized that some of the rules were not set up correctly and passed through the Application Gateway's English controllers. But the problem, in this case, is if you send ten rules, for example, six rules hit some issues. IP address blocking could be better. The rules, for example, don't work properly. If you have one issue, one rule or another rule will not work. This sounds like total madness to me."

What is our primary use case?

We tried to integrate Microsoft Azure Application Gateway into our technology stack, but we realized that our service solution didn't see it at all during the integration. But I was played around with it for about two weeks to one month.

We were searching for a WAF solution which we could integrate into our stack and were using the management provided by the agent. We tried to integrate a vacation gateway controller, but we realized that the integration wasn't very good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is WAF.

What needs improvement?

It could be more stable, and support could be better. It would also be better if they offered more features. For example, it lacks security features. Before we used another English solution, and we realized that some of the rules were not set up correctly and passed through the Application Gateway's English controllers. But the problem, in this case, is if you send ten rules, for example, six rules hit some issues.

I used Microsoft Azure Application Gateway for about two weeks to a month.

We got the feeling that this product wasn't stable or good enough for us.

Microsoft technical support could be better. For example, when some rules were disabled and other rules couldn't be disabled, I contacted Microsoft Support. But I didn't get an answer until the next day.

The initial setup was very complex. I spent a lot of time just troubleshooting the backend and figuring out how to connect it correctly. It can take just minutes or hours to sort it by hand using the agent portal. But it took me several days to realize how to set up it using Terraform.

I installed and deployed this solution by myself.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure Application Gateway a five.

SD
Asst. Vice President at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and simple to use with good technical support

• "The simplicity of the solution and its ability to integrate easily with others are its most valuable aspects."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved. Right now, it's a bit expensive."

What is most valuable?

The solution has a variety of different features that are all excellent.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be improved. Right now, it's a bit expensive.

Although the integration is quite good, it could still be improved upon.

The implementation should be further simplified to make it easier to use right from the onset.

I believe I have been using the solution for about a year and a half now.

The solution is quite stable. We didn't run into any bugs. There haven't been glitches or crashes. We find it to be quite reliable.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it out, they can do so quite easily.

Currently, our company has about 100 employees on it regularly. They are both users and developers. It's a mix of people.

We've been in touch with technical support and have been satisfied with the level of assistance they have been able to provide to our team so far.

We didn't previously use a different platform. This is the first solution we have implemented.

The solution has a quite simple initial setup. We didn't find it to be overly complex.

The solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with the solution. We are only customers.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using.

I would recommend to other companies considering the solution to run through a proof of concept first. Everyone's needs are different, so it's important to make sure the solutions you choose are able to meet them effectively. That way, you'll be able to know if the solution will work for your company and if it makes sense to implement it or not.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
RN
Consultant Azure Cloud Infra & Apps at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Straightforward and stable with a valuable WAF feature

• "WAF feature replicates the firewall."
  • "Scalability can be an issue."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for exposing services to the internet. We are Microsoft partners and I am the company's consultant for Azure Cloud Infra & Apps.

What is most valuable?

I think the WAF feature is valuable, it replicates your firewall. It's one of the features in the application gateway and that's in a layer 7-based firewall with layer 7-based features. We use this feature a lot in the application gateway.

What needs improvement?

Scalability can be a bit of an issue although it's better in v2. I'd also like to see increased flexibility. There are limits when you want to share an application gateway across multiple clusters. I know Microsoft is working on that, but we don't know when it will be finished and released to the public.

I've been using this solution for around seven years.

This is a stable product.

As mentioned, there are some issues with scalability which will hopefully be solved soon. We have many customers using this solution that have more than 100 application gateways.

Technical support is fine - we have a lot of interaction with Microsoft Corp in Seattle. We help improve their products by participating in a few programs and testing features to improve their functionality and reviewing the end product.

The initial setup was quite straightforward, deployment took a couple of hours. We're consultants so we do it ourselves.

Because of our partnership with Microsoft we have an input Microsoft first policy. If none of their solutions are applicable or available, then we look to another solution, but that is not the case here.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.