Microsoft Azure Application Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Web Application Firewalls. It is most often compared to Azure Front Door: Microsoft Azure Application Gateway vs Azure Front Door

What is Microsoft Azure Application Gateway?

Azure Application Gateway is a web traffic load balancer that enables you to manage traffic to your web applications. Traditional load balancers operate at the transport layer (OSI layer 4 - TCP and UDP) and route traffic based on source IP address and port, to a destination IP address and port.

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway is also known as Azure Application Gateway, MS Azure Application Gateway.

Download the Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Customers
Lilly, AccuWeather, AIRFRANCE, Honeywell,
Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Video

BW
Network Administrator at a government with 201-500 employees
Needs better security and functionality, and requires more intelligence to make it competitive

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution to try to protect a few internet-facing applications that we had.

• "The solution was very easy to configure. It wasn't hard at all to adjust it to our needs."
  • "The security of the product could be adjusted."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft. We tend to use the latest versions of the solution. I wouldn't recommend the solution. I'd advise others to look for something else on the market that has access to a cloud. I'd rate the solution one out of ten. It's a security product that needs to be functional, and at this point, it's simply not.
Sukun Jain
Senior Software Engineer at Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
Secures our internal applications and hides them from outside connections

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to hide all of our applications behind the firewall. The application logic and dependencies are not known to the outside world because you don't have to open your external public IP to them. It does not particularly improve functionality but you get the benefit of the security that is offered by Azure.

• "This is a SaaS product, so it is always up to date."
  • "For the first-time user, it is difficult to understand so the user-interface needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that it is not a must-have feature, but rather, a security service. If you're ready to bear the cost for security then you should implement the application gateway. This is a product that is in good shape. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, F5, HAProxy and others in Application Delivery Controllers (ADC). Updated: September 2021.
533,285 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OR
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution during application deployments. I use it to protect the applications.

• "The solution is easy to set up."
  • "The configuration is very specific right now and needs to be much more flexible."

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Microsoft. While, at this moment, Azure is only on the public cloud at this moment, the applications are all deployed on-premises. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, we've had a good experience. I would rate this product at a nine out of ten.
AA
Cloud Solutions Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to work with, has good pricing, and is quite scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to just secure the traffic coming from the outside into our application.

• "The pricing is quite good."
  • "The monitoring on the solution could be better."

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft partners. I would recommend this product to people. It's safe and Microsoft recommends it as well. Up until this point, it's working great for us. It's excellent at catching attacks and suspicious content. Overall, I would rate it at a ten out of ten. It works well for us and offers good performance.
AB
System Administrator at a comms service provider
A web traffic load balancer with a useful WAF feature, but it could be more stable

What is our primary use case?

We tried to integrate Microsoft Azure Application Gateway into our technology stack, but we realized that our service solution didn't see it at all during the integration. But I was played around with it for about two weeks to one month. We were searching for a WAF solution which we could integrate into our stack and were using the management provided by the agent. We tried to integrate a vacation gateway controller, but we realized that the integration wasn't very good.

• "The most valuable feature is WAF."
  • "It could be more stable, and support could be better. It would also be better if they offered more features. For example, it lacks security features. Before we used another English solution, and we realized that some of the rules were not set up correctly and passed through the Application Gateway's English controllers. But the problem, in this case, is if you send ten rules, for example, six rules hit some issues. IP address blocking could be better. The rules, for example, don't work properly. If you have one issue, one rule or another rule will not work. This sounds like total madness to me."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure Application Gateway a five.
SD
Asst. Vice President at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and simple to use with good technical support

• "The simplicity of the solution and its ability to integrate easily with others are its most valuable aspects."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved. Right now, it's a bit expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with the solution. We are only customers. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using. I would recommend to other companies considering the solution to run through a proof of concept first. Everyone's needs are different, so it's important to make sure the solutions you choose are able to meet them effectively. That way, you'll be able to know if the solution will work for your company and if it makes sense to implement it or not. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
RN
Consultant Azure Cloud Infra & Apps at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Straightforward and stable with a valuable WAF feature

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for exposing services to the internet. We are Microsoft partners and I am the company's consultant for Azure Cloud Infra & Apps.

• "WAF feature replicates the firewall."
  • "Scalability can be an issue."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
HR
Security Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Great customization, provides alerts to our team who can take action

What is our primary use case?

The company uses this solution and I work along with security architects providing that as part of our recommendations for Azure projects. I'm a security specialist and the company has a maintenance enterprise agreement with Azure.

• "Good customization; able to report and take action on alerts."
  • "Needs easier integration with the existing SIAM."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product and easy to deploy, I would just suggest using the application waiver. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
See 2 more Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Reviews
Download our free Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, F5, HAProxy, and more!