Microsoft Azure Container Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Container Service is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Containers as a Service vendors. It is most often compared to Amazon EC2 Container Service: Microsoft Azure Container Service vs Amazon EC2 Container Service

What is Microsoft Azure Container Service?

Azure Container Service optimizes the configuration of popular open source tools and technologies specifically for Azure. You get an open solution that offers portability for both your containers and your application configuration. You select the size, the number of hosts, and choice of orchestrator tools, and Container Service handles everything else.

Microsoft Azure Container Service is also known as MS Azure Container Service.

Microsoft Azure Container Service Customers

Esri, BIO CATCH

Microsoft Azure Container Service Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure Container Service pricing:
  • "The costs depend on the resources that you use, and there is a cost-management system to help calculate it."
  • "Microsoft Azure Container Service has costs but in the container environment, there are no costs because it is open source and we are using Docker as the container engine in the master and worker nodes established in the Azure environment."

Microsoft Azure Container Service Reviews

PrateekMehrotra
DevOps Tech Lead at Publicis Sapient
Secure, good integration capability, and you don't have to maintain any infrastructure

• "The most valuable feature is that you don't have to maintain the infrastructure."
  • "In the future, I would like to see it generalized and have the ability to better integrate with open-source tools."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we help our clients to implement services. In this role, I make use of this product. It is generally used for container services to install images, such as Docker files. This includes storing images in a repository.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution means that you don't have to store and secure your container images within a private network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you don't have to maintain the infrastructure. It is an out-of-the-box service that is hosted by Azure.

It is a secure way to store container images.

It has integration capability with multiple CICD tools and platforms that are available in the market.

API support is very good. You can use it to create calls to upload images, download images, and manage the repository.

Microsoft has provided a lot of documentation that is available online.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see it generalized and have the ability to better integrate with open-source tools.

I have been working with the Azure Container Service for between two and three years.

As this is a PaaS that is provided by Azure, it means that if there were any issues then they would have to be publically addressed by Microsoft. I have not lately heard of any problems from my customers.

It is quite easy to scale. I work with medium and large-scale companies in sectors such as energy and banking.

I have been in touch with the Microsoft technical support team many times. Generally it is good, although it depends on the type of support that you have. They have multiple support plans available, and my interaction with them depends on the support that they subscribe to.

Some of my clients have premium support plans, in which an engineer will be assigned to you. They track each and every issue and it will be a pretty quick turnaround time for the issues that you face.

If you are on a standard support plan then it has its own affiliates that will be followed up by Microsoft. Even in this case, the response time is quite good.

I have worked with similar solutions including the Amazon Cloud Platform, two years ago.

Most big cloud platforms have their own capabilities but the majority of functionality is in common. It comes down to the advantages and disadvantages of each solution. Some points in Azure are better, whereas other points in AWS are better.

Microsoft has come up with a service called Azure DevOps, which is a good platform that none of the other providers have right now. It provides the capability to automate your CICD processes or DevOps processes within the organization.

AWS has pipeline capability but they don't have a platform that is equal to Azure DevOps. Azure will give you pipelines, test plans for testing things, and they provide functionality for managing your work.

The initial setup is straightforward and not complex.

This is a PaaS solution that is hosted on Azure and we can configure it based on our needs. To spin up Container Services in Azure will take between 15 and 20 minutes. Automation of this is also possible either through ARM or Terraform.

Initially, to start with Container Services, any one person can do it by following the documentation that is available online. The documentation will help to determine the best design of the infrastructure, based on the requirements such as security.

If the customer has a complicated set of requirements then we may have to give them some advice with respect to implementation.

As a cloud platform, there are multiple options available for licensing. The costs depend on the resources that you use, and there is a cost-management system to help calculate it. The number of hours will affect the total cost.

The licensing cost is for the support, so it varies depending on the plan and the agreement. In the case of an enterprise-level plan, the cost is an agreement between Microsoft and the organization.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that it is a good option to use because it is more secure. You can secure your images and your code, which are stored on that cloud. You have dedicated access and you can integrate it with Azure Active directory.

It is also a PaaS offering, which means that you don't need to manage your repositories. You only need to manage your data within them. Finally, it is cost-effective in terms of storing data.

Microsoft Azure
OmidKoushki
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Valuable cloud features, easy storage systems creation, and simple configuration

• "Storage is one of the most beneficial features of cloud providers, specifically Azure because when you are working in their cloud environment, you can easily use a storage interface and a storage object that is provided by Microsoft Azure. In a local environment, you have to be involved in establishing and setting up distributed storage file systems for containers which are very difficult and complex. In a cloud environment, you are not concerned about the storage and the dashboard provides you with storage objects with high availability."
  • "f Microsoft Azure can provide GUI dashboards for end-users and administrators to work separately to manage all the Kubernetes clusters without a need to connect to Azure environments and through CLI it would be better."

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we are working on establishing containers for development teams. This idea is very new in my company and we are starting to migrate some of our applications, such as internal software applications that are running in the production environments. Additionally, we are providing Kubernetes and container environments for one of my customers that has a data center. I am involved in designing and developing the container infrastructure for two teams, DevOps teams, and development teams.

How has it helped my organization?

You save time and resources by using this cloud service over the on-premise deployment.

What is most valuable?

When comparing this solution with the on-premise environment Azure AKS, this solution is far superior. It has a lot of good features, such as reduced time and energy for the administration of a control plane and worker nodes because they are provided by and managed by Microsoft. We have to specify the number of nodes we are going to work on, Microsoft offers scalability, available master, and worker nodes. Additionally, you do not spend time on security, patching to fix bugs, and vulnerabilities, everything is managed by Microsoft. The cloud version provides a load balancer all configured by Microsoft, while in the on-premise version you have to implement a load balancer and you have to be involved in configuring the load balancer which is a long process.

What needs improvement?

If Microsoft Azure can provide GUI dashboards for end-users and administrators to work separately to manage all the Kubernetes clusters without a need to connect to Azure environments and through CLI it would be better.

In an upcoming release, the solution could improve by having better security. Security is a big challenge in the containers and if Microsoft could provide a simpler method to authenticate or authorize and integrate security features to vulnerability channels, for example, online scan images and Docker containers, it would be helpful. It then would be possible to integrate the whole stack of containers with Microsoft Azure technology. You would not need to rely on Linux features and would be able to rely on Microsoft technology, such as Active Directory and encryption protocols.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

I have not been involved in contacting  Microsoft engineers and Microsoft support because at this time we do not have any complex problems or trouble that we cannot solve ourselves. However, Microsoft's support is in a cloud environment is a great benefit, they are very supportive and helpful.

I have previously used other solutions.

One of the benefits of Azure is the simple administration, most of the operational activities are configured by Microsoft.

In my on-premise environment, I am involved in installing and configuring the on-premise cluster for approximately three master nodes with ten worker nodes in one week. When comparing with the Azure environment, I did the same in less than one day. It is very simple and if you understand Kubernetes objects you can easily in two or three hours establish a cluster and container environment.

Microsoft Azure Container Service has costs but in the container environment, there are no costs because it is open source and we are using Docker as the container engine in the master and worker nodes established in the Azure environment.

I have evaluated many other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing this solution you have to consider is the internet connectivity to the Azure environment. For some countries that have sanctions, moving data on the cloud environment might not be allowed due to local regulation. In general, Azure Container Service and competitors, such as Google or Amazon, are more than beneficial in comparison with local on-premise environments.

I am working in a few companies as a consultant. I advise them on whether to move to the Azure environment cloud or on-premise and ultimately they choose the option based on my advice. One of the companies migrated on-premise workloads to Azure and uses container services. However, in another company, we do not need to go to the cloud due to some local regulation and therefore we have to establish an on-premise environment.

I rate Microsoft Azure Container Service a nine out of ten.

PA
Nordic Security Practice Lead at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fast to deploy and has a good security level

• "Microsoft Azure Container Service has a good level of stability."
  • "I wasn't very impressed with the documentation."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for training purposes, and for reading about what our colleagues do globally. So we basically use it for our customer projects.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Azure Container Service is a great program and I like its usability and the time it takes to market. It is very fast to deploy as part of the DevOps and it has a good security level. So I think the usability and the pricing based on desktop cost make it a good product.

What needs improvement?

I believe that the support can be faster. I would also like to see easier implementation and better documentation. But it's also a Pandora's box. I believe that one can always do better.

I also believe that security and integration can be better, so it would be nice to see an improvement there.

I have been using this solution for just under a year now.

Microsoft Azure Container Service has a good level of stability.

I believe the program is scalable. I am the only end-user of this program, so I don't have experience of how it will work in larger environments. Our clients are enterprise businesses.

I am not sure about the technical support - it depends on the kind of issue I'm having and what the actual problem is. But I believe the SME network is important because they have experience from different customer cases.

I wasn't very impressed with the documentation, so if I had been able to follow the guidelines and employ an implementation, it would have been easier to set up and install the program. So I would say it was semi-easy, semi-difficult, in the middle.

The pricing is good.

What other advice do I have?

Of course, I can recommend this program to others, but they must first do an overall study and analyze the program to verify that it is business-driven, not technology-driven. In the next version, I would like to see better security because it is rather limited in this version. Updating the security would be great, as well as more integration of capabilities.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate this program an eight. This is simply because I only use it in a lab environment - I don't have any other experience of the program.

TV
Partner at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, low bandwidth requirements, and the data compression is good

• "The most valuable features are that it is simple, and the compression of the data."
  • "The customization is an area that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for critical applications. I have it on two servers and for storage outside of my company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is simple, and the compression of the data.

It's a solution that uses very little bandwidth.

It is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The customization is an area that needs improvement.

In the next release, I would like to see integration with the Microsoft Business ERP solution.

I have been using this solution for five months.

This solution is stable, I have not had any issues.

This solution is scalable, it's good.

We have fifteen users and two of them are engineers.

To date, I have not contacted technical support and I correct the issues myself.

Previously I tried Carbonite. I switched because Microsoft Azure is more competitive and more stable.

The initial setup is simple.

It took approximately two months to deploy this solution.

I am the administrator and the only person who maintains this solution. You only need one person.

I implemented this solution. I did not use any vendors or integrators.

The only other solution that I had used and evaluated was called Carbonite.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution and I would recommend it to others.

I would rate this solution nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure