TC
Senior .NET Engineer at Advance Storage Products
Helpful in tracking issues and works extremely well in terms of the build time, but it is complicated and should provide the ability to write your own scripts

• "The automated bill feature is most valuable. As with most software developers, I can build code on my machine, but if one of my coworkers can't build the same code on theirs, there are always issues in trying to track it down. The automated bill process makes it a lot easier to track down where the issues are and find out what bugs aren't being included for whatever reason."
  • "They should expand it from just a PC, software, or server development platform to other kinds of software or engineering systems so that it is not necessarily built around a normal PC with a server. I would like to see the ability to write my own scripts in my own compiled program or online. Right now, there are things that you can do in the user interface, but you can't do them programmatically and vice versa. I want to see them both. If I can do it in a script, I should be able to do it from the user interface, and if I can do it in the user interface, I should be able to do it in a script."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the source-code repository, automated bill process, very limited automated testing, and tracking trouble tickets or feature requests. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The automated bill feature is most valuable. As with most software developers, I can build code on my machine, but if one of my coworkers can't build the same code on theirs, there are always issues in trying to track it down. The automated bill process makes it a lot easier to track down where the issues are and find out what bugs aren't being included for whatever reason.

What needs improvement?

They should expand it from just a PC, software, or server development platform to other kinds of software or engineering systems so that it is not necessarily built around a normal PC with a server.

I have been using this solution for a total of four years.

From what we've used it for so far, I have not seen any problems.

We're using perhaps 10% of what it is capable of doing. It is far more capable than what we are using right now. With further experimentation and training, I'll probably go from 10% utilization of its capabilities to about 50% or 60% in the next couple of months. We'll never use 100% of what it is capable of doing, but it should handle 95% of everything we need to do. We can always write our own plugins to handle the side things that we need.

Scalability is not really applicable with the code that we write, but the build times and things like that typically take under 15 seconds before we get our responses back. So, it works extremely well.

In terms of the number of users, there are six of us who are software developers. Some of the managers might also partially use the reporting capabilities.

I haven't called them up.

I've used JIRA and a number of different systems going back almost 20 years. We were doing our development using Microsoft tools, and it just made sense to use what they integrate with. Azure DevOps is the perfect environment because we're using Microsoft technology for other stuff. It is always going to have slight favoritism towards the other Microsoft tools.

The basic setup works very quickly, but there are so many things and options.

We did it ourselves, which is one of the problems. We don't know what we're doing.

I don't know what we pay, but I do know what I've seen online. If we switched to JIRA, we will basically have to double our costs because we still have to pay for the DevOps licensing. We're probably spending $100 a month on it. It has only standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

It is a really complicated product. All DevOps stuff is complicated. The advice that I would give to anybody doing DevOps is to have a goal in mind of what you want to do. Then the product will do what you wanted it to do.

I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps a four out of ten because I don't know it enough to rate it.

Private Cloud

Wesley De John
Group Product Manager – Billing and Payments at MultiChoice Group
Reduces our delivery time for complex projects and is cost-effective and useful for agile delivery

• "It is a really easy way to define all of the features that you need to deliver. You can link those features to epics and break them down into user stories. You can also assign the user stories into sprints for doing your product improvement planning."
  • "The tool has a logical link between epic feature, user story, and task, but when you try to generate a report to show the delivery progress against a feature, it is not easy. To see the percentage completion for a feature or progress of any delivery, it is not easy to draw a report."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for feature delivery.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we started using Microsoft Azure DevOps, we didn't really have a mechanism for tracking delivery against a feature or feature delivery. It has really helped us in visualizing what we need to deliver and get consensus across cross-functional teams that it is the right thing to deliver.

It allows us to prioritize an organization-wide backlog, which has really reduced our delivery time for complex projects. In fact, we are in the middle of a transformation program. We managed to kick off the program in a month and start the delivery cycle within six weeks of conception. Before adopting this tool, it would have taken us three to six months.

What is most valuable?

It is a really easy way to define all of the features that you need to deliver. You can link those features to epics and break them down into user stories. You can also assign the user stories into sprints for doing your product improvement planning.

It is a really simple tool for prioritizing a backlog, assigning that backlog into sprints, and then tracking the delivery by using sprint capacity, points of time, the velocity of the sprint, etc. It is really useful for agile delivery.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of things. The tool has a logical link between epic feature, user story, and task, but when you try to generate a report to show the delivery progress against a feature, it is not easy. To see the percentage completion for a feature or progress of any delivery, it is not easy to draw a report.

It doesn't give you a high-level view of your roadmap for planning a roadmap for delivery and identifying how far you are on that delivery path. There should be the ability to create a product roadmap and then based on the delivery of the user stories, link to the features against that product. We should be able to roll up a view to see how have we progressed against our targets.

When you're accessing it via the web, it works nicely, but it doesn't work for a while if you're trying to access the board via a tablet or mobile device. A lot of the time, we just want to quickly update a task or check a delivery against a sprint by using an iPad or phone. It is not really user-friendly on those devices. It works very well on the laptop but not on other devices.

I have been using this solution for 18 months.

We've had very few issues with Azure DevOps.

There were no issues.

We also use Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. For business process modeling where you are linking different objects in the modeling domains, Sparx is the most appropriate tool. You cannot model business processes in Azure DevOps.

Azure DevOps is more appropriate as a delivery tool for building out the feature roadmap and defining user stories, tasks, features, etc. It is well suited for taking the data and building it into a delivery pipeline. These two tools don't speak well together. A solution was developed to integrate these two, but it doesn't work very well.

It was super simple. We just needed a username and a password. The board was pre-setup by our administrator. In fact, we didn't even have to go through any real training, even though the training was available. It is really intuitive to use.

Its pricing is reasonable for the number of features that you get and the functionality that you can utilize for the agile delivery, which is what we are using it for. I found it extremely cost-effective.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps an eight out of 10. It is the primary tool that we've been using. It works very well.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure DevOps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kleber A
Chief Operating Officer at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Allows you to create a bridge for maintenance and support, directly to the client

• "We can forecast tasks and the number of hours a task will take and can compare it with how long a task actually takes."
  • "The communication could work better, especially for the development team."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage the project. We create the product backlog, and we put our tasks into the DevOps schedule.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure DevOps allow you to create a bridge for maintenance and support, directly to the client. We can forecast tasks and the number of hours a task will take and can compare it with how long a task actually takes. The Timetracker function allows us to put all this together. Before Azure DevOps, we had difficulty predicting how long tasks would take, considering all the parts that must work together.

What is most valuable?

We have a component server, which is basically a tracker. This is very useful for us to itemise the start and end of tasks to evaluate the resources required, based on price. So it's very valuable. It is important to be able to inspect the items required in a project.

What needs improvement?

The communication could work better, especially for the development team. The important thing is that the tracker tools provide adequate communication, as do other tools. It seems to be lacking in DevOps and is an area which could be improved. We also need to improve publishing in production. In the future, we would like Azure DevOps to work with automated tasks regarding publishing. Better integration with existing source code is another area, which would benefit from improvement. The search repository could be more comprehensive, and visualisations could be optimised, further.

We have been using Azure DevOps for around two years. We are a Microsoft partner, so we use Azure DevOps as part of that partnership.

Stability is excellent. Initially, we had some problems with performance, but nowadays it's okay. Maybe they improved the server.

It's good scalability, but we need to improve the process by understanding it a lot more.

We never actually contacted support. The best plan is to read through all the documentation, but getting the right documentation for your specific project is not always easy to find, as there is so much to go through.

It's average, because we need to research what we are trying to achieve, and the platform has rich functionality. This is a good thing, but it can also mean setup is very complicated. However, we usually find that after testing more, we find our way around what we are trying to achieve.

Our deployment took about three months, as we tracked it. Following that period, we needed another month to integrate a new component into the setup. We implemented it ourselves, with one of our team. We have about 10 users using Azure DevOps, but we have 2 people to provide the deployment out of those. These are developers. We have a small team for DevOps, including the manager. We need our staff to be flexible and agile in our team to take on various DevOps tasks.

As a Microsoft Partner, you get a discount on the pricing. Licensing costs are around $80 a month for DevOps, but for Azure, it is about $200 a month.

We tried other tools, but Azure DevOps has a richer toolset, and it fits in better with our process. To some extent, as we are a Microsoft partner, we didn't seriously consider other options. However, we did look at Jira and Gitlab as potential alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure DevOps as an 8 out of 10. I would ensure that DevOps' use is planned, in detail, including the implementation before using the software. I would also ensure you have a thorough knowledge of the main components of the system. This will ultimately save hours of work.

AS
Software & Cyber Section Manager at a aerospace/defense firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Integrates will with Git and other Microsoft products and scales well

• "Microsoft has good integration with its other products, such as Office, Teams, et cetera."
  • "We would like some bidirectional synchronization. It's the requirement if you want to analyze it to software requirements, et cetera. That's something that most of the tools aren't that good at."

What is our primary use case?

In the first years, we had the solution, we did not use it for all of its models - not for the full life cycle. Now, within the past year or year and a half, we wanted to make the best out of it. We now use all the models and all the development lifecycle.

What is most valuable?

The product has integrated all the relevant models of task management requirements, source control, back management, test management, et cetera. You have a full ALM suite.

The connection to Git, which was bought by Microsoft, is also good. We use Git as a version control tool.

The solution has proven itself to be very mature and robust. It's quite stable.

The scalability potential is very good.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if "missing" is the right phrase, however, I am interested in, with all of these tools, if the connection to requirements management tools like DCRM, DOORS, et cetera, would be possible. That's a weak spot in most of the vendors.

We would like some bidirectional synchronization. It's the requirement if you want to analyze it to software requirements, et cetera. That's something that most of the tools aren't that good at.

I've been using the solution for around three or four years at this point. It's been a while.

The product is mature and robust and quite stable. I haven't experienced any problems at all with it. It doesn't crash or freeze. It doesn't seem to have bugs or glitches that affect it. We have the support in-house on servers and we haven't had any problems with defining collections for example.

It is my understanding that the solution is very stable. As an example, our organization has many teams and many departments and we use it across them all the time with no problem. We started using it originally when we had several teams, and now we have tens of teams, and it scaled up to meet our needs and we haven't had any issue with doing so.

We also use Jira. I myself do not use Jira, however, it is used by other teams and colleagues within our organization.

I can't speak to the implementation process, as our IT handled it. I was not a part of the initial setup. I can't speak to if it was complex or straightforward, or how long it took to set up.

We are currently evaluating both Jira and DevOps against each other. We use both in several development units. Lately, I've been looking for some comparisons and reviews, and material regarding those platforms and the comparison between them. I'm wondering to myself whether it's good for our company to have both, or to choose one of them to be the standard platform of our company. That's the main subject that I'm interested in.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'm a manager, and therefore I don't personally use it on a daily basis anymore, however, I manage teams that work directly with the product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. If I compare it against other products, it holds its own. It's quite a good solution overall and we've been happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend it to other organizations or companies. I'd advise them, however, to use the source control and to wisely choose which kind of collection they want to set up and configure. It's something very important that will set a company up for success.

Carlos Hulot
Product and Systems Director at SPCM
Great automation capabilities, allows for easy integration with other tools and is quite stable

• "The initial setup is very easy."
  • "It would be great if I could integrate with a human resource type of software that could control timesheets."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to store all our source codes. It's a solution that stores everything. We are an in-house development and we produce a lot of codes.

We also use it to control our development process. We follow some methodologies. Every every team has a different methodology, for instance, Chrome, Agile, et cetera. The whole process from the planning process until we deploy the solution, everything is controlled by DevOps.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at automating various aspects of the DevOps process. You can automate almost everything. You don't have any human intervention. It's almost automatic. As long as you finish your code and put it in, the software gets the code and tests it. If it is okay, it will go ahead and integrate it and put it in production without any human intervention. This is excellent.

The tool allows you to connect with many external tools. You can improve the whole process that way. We use a couple of things, however, there is a plethora of things you can put together in your solution.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

Despite the fact that you can automate most of the things, you still have to produce some scripts. There are things that are not very user-friendly. The tasks are achievable, however, it's not easy. You have a lot of steps until you can get the thing automated.

In the past, Microsoft DevOps was integrated with Microsoft Project. Out of the box. Right now, it's no longer that way. That would be interesting to have.

It would be great if I could integrate with a human resource type of software that could control timesheets.

I've been using the solution for 15 years now. It's been a while. It's well over a decade of experience.

The product is extremely stable. We've used it for 15 years and haven't had any serious issues. There are a few bugs or glitches but nothing tha can comprimses the day to day operation, and they usually fixed in the next release. It doesn't crash or freeze, though sometimes gets a bit slower due to databes overheadd, so maintance has to be done. It's reliable.

We are a small team, and therefore we don't need to scale. However, I've heard both that it grows 10% a year without issue and that it scales very easily and very well. As far as I know, a company can scale it if they need to.

We have between 50 to 70 people using it, including staff and managers, et cetera.

I have used technical support a couple of times. Typically, it's good. It's usually a couple of hours and then, they answer you. Nevertheless, you can go to the online site and most of the time you can solve the problems just by reading. They have a lot of documentation available.

That said, when we dealt with them directly, they were pretty fast. I'd say we are satisfied with their level of service.

The initials tup is not complex. It's a very easy, very straightforward process. A company shouldn't have any trouble with implementation. It only takes a couple of hours. It's pretty quick to deploy for DevOps purposes.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer.

We intend to move from on-premises to the cloud next year.

I'd recommend this solution. It's a worthwhile investment.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite satisfied with it overall.

LB
Software Architect at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
Compatible with our entire ecosystem

• "It's got something that you won't find in other products."
  • "With an ecosystem that has been up and running for some time, you won't have the full-flexibility that you would have with a new ecosystem."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure DevOps for application lifecycle management, including source control-related things, pipelines, and also for work item management. In short, the whole ecosystem.

Within our organization, there are roughly one thousand core developers using this solution. We also have stakeholders, product vendors, Scrum masters, testers, and manual testers.

What is most valuable?

Mainly the source code solutions and the pipelines. Work item management and the manual test I/O. Test automation, end-to-end testing, and the manual test experience. It's got something that you won't find in other products. The work item management is good enough for small to medium-sized teams, and for large projects with plenty of teams collaborating with each other.

We can achieve the boundaries of the system. Potentially, we could do it with other tools like Jira. Still, with Microsoft Azure DevOps, we can manage everything.

What needs improvement?

Currently, if you would like to use the full-set of customization features, for example, the process templates, the HL process, or the Scrum process, if you start from scratch right now, you'll have these options. But if you've been working for several years in an established ecosystem, then you're based on an old-fashioned way of working and you won't be able to use the recent customization features.

There are options to get around this, especially if you move to the cloud or if you copy things and migrate them, but that's a huge amount of work. It's best if you start from scratch in a new project — in a new environment. With an ecosystem that has been up and running for some time, you won't have the full-flexibility that you would have with a new ecosystem.

We have been using this solution for roughly 10 years.

This solution is stable. I don't have anything negative to report.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is very scalable. It uses techniques from Microsoft itself, so if you have the knowledge of how to deal with that, you can scale it up and out as you wish.

Technical support is good. We have had a few cases where we needed support and they contacted us immediately. There was a willingness to find a solution and determine if there was a bug or if it was an oversight. We have a good relationship with Mircosoft support.

The initial setup is easy.

Most of our developers have an MSDN license which is linked to the Visual Studio development environment.

We also have a corporate license for other products like Windows Server — it's all included in one package. An additional license is not required for the on-premise solution. If you go to the cloud, it's a different story. Most of the things that we need and use are incorporated in the corporate solution — there are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

It could be a little bit more flexible in terms of work item management. Apart from that, I can't really think of many features that are missing. It supports all kinds of ecosystems; there are a lot of possibilities when it comes to interacting with other ecosystems.

Try to follow the market standards. There's a whole huge community that supports it. The market is evolving very fast. Microsoft is acquiring other companies. They recently bought GitHub. It's hard to say which solution will survive — DevOps or GitHub. That may be an issue in the future.

Wilson  Gonzalez
DevOps Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A DevOps solution with a great pipeline feature

• "Everything that's related to the pipeline has been very good."
  • "I'd like to have something better for the test plan."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure DevOps to store our code, manage our code, and publish it.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we used Azure DevOps, our team used to promote the code manually. What they did was publish, copy the files and paste them on the server or run lines of code to get our services in production. That takes a lot of time. With the pipeline we're using, that time was reduced by ten times. We're ten times faster now.

What is most valuable?

Everything that's related to the pipeline has been very good. We're using this to promote our code and to secure it. The library and all the stuff that we can manage inside the pipeline is helping us a lot.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to have something better for the test plan. The test plan seems to be really manual even now. There's a lot of stuff to do there, and it could be improved.

Sometimes, it's also difficult for us to handle all the connections with iOS. iOS connections are really very difficult. We're using a different product, which is part of Microsoft, called App Center. But sharing from Azure DevOps to App Center has been difficult. They should try to improve things related to iOS development or iOS production.

I've been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for the last five years.

I wouldn't complain about stability. Sometimes we have a couple of maintenance windows, which is okay. We actually had a couple of problems, but I don't remember. I would say that it's under normal standards. I wouldn't complain about it.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is scalable. It was easy to grow.

If I ever raised any kind of a question to technical support, it was pretty good. I have asked a couple of questions in the technical area. They helped me, and it was good and pretty fast.

We used to use another solution, but I don't remember which one. We switched because of a big contract that our company had with Azure. We were going to have our servers with Azure, and it looked like they reviewed the pricing and made the change.

The initial setup was really easy. I didn't even manage this before, but I'm the one who is running this now, and it's pretty easy. Something that made me a little bit confused was all the permissions you have to give to teams and people. Sometimes it's kind of tricky, but it's understandable.

Lately, the deployment's taking a little bit longer than before. I don't know what happened. I'll say that before our deployments took us maybe a couple of minutes. I didn't even measure that, but now it sometimes takes up to 40 minutes or an average of 30 minutes for each deployment.

I implemented Microsoft Azure DevOps by myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential Microsoft Azure DevOps users to start exploring the free options, which are pretty good. I use it myself as an independent. As soon as you start using it, you'll know that you have to pay because it's a good tool that we can have to manage our code.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure DevOps an nine.

Private Cloud
VS
Manager Systems Engineering at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Helps to improve productivity but specific disciplines need to be addressed

• "We can eliminate some of the middleman processes."
  • "It should be able to handle the different types. There is ecosystems engineering, and there is software applications engineering. There is a need to bring these teams together, but the disciplines don't integrate very well, and so it won't work."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure DevOps to place our corporate servers into the cloud. We perform evaluations in the cloud for clients. Occasionally, we provide a hybrid solution in a specific cloud. For corporate work, we usually use a different cloud. With Microsoft Azure DevOps, as with any DevOps, it is not always possible to identify specific use cases. How do you identify a specific feature from a hundred requirements into a specific use case? It is very easy to lose detail. Traditional teams and ways of working methodically for safety-critical systems are not always prepared to handle that. It is important to be able to handle hundreds of detail-oriented requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure DevOps is now used for safety-critical systems, whereas in the past the traditional approaches were used in requirements management. This is more like the traditional waterfall model. Improvement is always unique to productivity. That's why we switched to Microsoft Azure DevOps. The software teams prefer it to IBM.

What is most valuable?

We can eliminate some of the middleman processes. In the process, we are merging DevOps with development and operations. So developers act like our operation team as well. That concept is a great exchange. It brings a high level of visibility. It helps the team and department cohesion, which helps to improve productivity.

It also includes a high level of traceability and elimination of some of the unwanted silos in productivity. Testing and transparency need to be defined within the boundaries. If a backlog occurs, you should be able to group them as a whole. This means there is a backlogging to the team, as opposed to individual areas. Each area needs to be visible to other areas, at all times.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft needs to consider ruggedization and addressing specific disciplines. Fundamentally what I mean by that is you cannot merge everything. It should be able to handle the different types. There is ecosystems engineering, and there is software applications engineering. There is a need to bring these teams together, but the disciplines don't integrate very well, and so it won't work. For example, there is expertise in an area, and they tend to view the project from their own perspective.

For example, the software UI/ UX team needs to view it from the UX perspective. Application engineers need to view it from the application viewpoint and the engineering perspective is different again. Although we need to be cohesive in our approach, we need to keep some boundaries as well. The idea of containers arises, such as those provided by the open source software product Kubernetes. We need to containerize different disciplines and then merge them. As a manager, I should be able to ask the formative team to focus on their creative section, and that their task is completed. In the Application layer, you also focus on their requirements and you establish traceability. Other teams may also be involved in linking to the overall requirements.

I have been using Azure DevOps for one year. It has been used in the company for about two years. It is used in the cloud and on-premises, as a hybrid cloud solution.

We implemented on-premise as a hybrid solution, and on the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would give Microsoft Azure DevOps a six out of 10. Microsoft Azure DevOps is not perfected yet, as it needs to be more user friendly. If it can achieve that it will eventually reach a 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Microsoft Azure DevOps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.