VS
Manager Systems Engineering at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Helps to improve productivity but specific disciplines need to be addressed

• "We can eliminate some of the middleman processes."
  • "It should be able to handle the different types. There is ecosystems engineering, and there is software applications engineering. There is a need to bring these teams together, but the disciplines don't integrate very well, and so it won't work."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure DevOps to place our corporate servers into the cloud. We perform evaluations in the cloud for clients. Occasionally, we provide a hybrid solution in a specific cloud. For corporate work, we usually use a different cloud. With Microsoft Azure DevOps, as with any DevOps, it is not always possible to identify specific use cases. How do you identify a specific feature from a hundred requirements into a specific use case? It is very easy to lose detail. Traditional teams and ways of working methodically for safety-critical systems are not always prepared to handle that. It is important to be able to handle hundreds of detail-oriented requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure DevOps is now used for safety-critical systems, whereas in the past the traditional approaches were used in requirements management. This is more like the traditional waterfall model. Improvement is always unique to productivity. That's why we switched to Microsoft Azure DevOps. The software teams prefer it to IBM.

What is most valuable?

We can eliminate some of the middleman processes. In the process, we are merging DevOps with development and operations. So developers act like our operation team as well. That concept is a great exchange. It brings a high level of visibility. It helps the team and department cohesion, which helps to improve productivity.

It also includes a high level of traceability and elimination of some of the unwanted silos in productivity. Testing and transparency need to be defined within the boundaries. If a backlog occurs, you should be able to group them as a whole. This means there is a backlogging to the team, as opposed to individual areas. Each area needs to be visible to other areas, at all times.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft needs to consider ruggedization and addressing specific disciplines. Fundamentally what I mean by that is you cannot merge everything. It should be able to handle the different types. There is ecosystems engineering, and there is software applications engineering. There is a need to bring these teams together, but the disciplines don't integrate very well, and so it won't work. For example, there is expertise in an area, and they tend to view the project from their own perspective.

For example, the software UI/ UX team needs to view it from the UX perspective. Application engineers need to view it from the application viewpoint and the engineering perspective is different again. Although we need to be cohesive in our approach, we need to keep some boundaries as well. The idea of containers arises, such as those provided by the open source software product Kubernetes. We need to containerize different disciplines and then merge them. As a manager, I should be able to ask the formative team to focus on their creative section, and that their task is completed. In the Application layer, you also focus on their requirements and you establish traceability. Other teams may also be involved in linking to the overall requirements.

I have been using Azure DevOps for one year. It has been used in the company for about two years. It is used in the cloud and on-premises, as a hybrid cloud solution.

We implemented on-premise as a hybrid solution, and on the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would give Microsoft Azure DevOps a six out of 10. Microsoft Azure DevOps is not perfected yet, as it needs to be more user friendly. If it can achieve that it will eventually reach a 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Anthony Gregg
Technical Engineer (Retail Group) at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
MSP
A comprehensive, easy-to-use, stable, and well-integrated solution that does everything in the development life cycle

• "All features are good. Pipelines feature is great, and Boards and Artifacts features are also really good. It is really good at what it does. It is very comprehensive, and it has some really great aspects to it. It is very easy. It is probably one of the easiest to use DevOps tools in the industry, and it is well integrated."
  • "The administrative capabilities of the tool need a huge improvement. Its Wiki and reporting also need a lot of improvement. Their support can also be better."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for development and life cycle management within the company. We use the SaaS version. It is called Azure DevOps services.

How has it helped my organization?

It has absolutely improved the way our organization functions from a development lifecycle point of view. It has enabled teams to be more Agile and flexible.

What is most valuable?

All features are good. Pipelines module is comprehensive, Boards and Artifacts modules are also really extensive.

It is really good at what it does. It is very comprehensive, and it has some really great aspects to it. It has a easy to use UI. It is probably one of the easiest to use DevOps tools in the industry, and it is well integrated.

What needs improvement?

The administrative capabilities of the tool need a huge improvement. Its Wiki and Reporting functions also need a lot of improvement. Their support can also be better.

I have been using it ever since it was created in 2012

It is very stable.

It is very scalable because it is on the cloud. We have a very large user base and they're all IT-related. The users are engineers, product managers, and management. It is the entire IT organization.

We use their technical support a lot. We have internal support, but we will also reach out to Microsoft to resolve problems. Their support is very good, but there is always room for improvement. It depends on the subject area. Sometimes, they have people who are not as well versed as others.

We've been pretty much on the Microsoft products. We used to use Team Foundation Server, which was a Microsoft product. Before that, it used to be Visual Source Safe. We also used to be on PVCS, SVN and CVS.

Being a SaaS solution, there is no setup.

It was implemented in-house as we have a high level of in-house expertise in the ALM space.

This area is very different for each and every organization and I would recommend that they research cost and pricing for their situation.

No, we did not evaluate any other options since we are heavily tied to the Microsoft stack. However over time, we have adopted other platforms (Java, Node, Python and others) since Azure DevOps is cross platform compatible with Linux, Windows, iOS and Andriod.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a cross-platform solution that end-to-end does everything in the development life cycle, this would be a very good solution for you. If you're looking for a more siloed product that is specifically focused on one particular area of the lifecycle, this is definitely still an option, but you should also evaluate other options as well (Atlassian, IBM Rational,  MIcro Focus ALM, GitHub etc) for completeness.

I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps a solid eight out of ten. It is really good at what it does, but it also has some solid areas of improvement that are needed. Once they have addressed those, it could be hard to beat.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure DevOps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FC
Cloud Solution Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Easy to set up, allows for third-party extensions, and is pretty scalable

• "It is possible to add third-party extensions to increase the usability of the product."
  • "Some things like project management, tasks, progress, and having work progress views require us to use some external tools, or to create our own internal tools. These are not native to DevOps. It would be ideal if, instead of searching for third-party solutions, they had these feature sets or capabilities included under DevOps."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our internal development and we have some clients that require some consulting around some DevOps functionality.

We use the product for the development process for the repository, for the tracking of the tasks in the boards, and for the pipeline for CINCD.

What is most valuable?

The test plan is one feature that we are exploring more right now. This is a great feature that we want to deeper into.

We have a solid base. We can do everything with DevOps.

The initial setup is very simple.

We have found the solution to be scalable.

The solution, for the most part, is stable.

What needs improvement?

Some things, like project management, tasks, progress, and having work progress views, require us to use some external tools or to create our own internal tools. These are not native to DevOps. It would be ideal if, instead of searching for third-party solutions, they had these feature sets or capabilities included under DevOps. They need to expand the solution's offering.

While I have used the solution for two years, the company has some personnel that have used it for longer. Our development team may have used it for four or five years.

The product is stable. We had some regional degradations a few months ago, however, it wasn't too much. For the most part, it's reliable and there aren't bugs or glitches.

The solution is scalable. If we need to expand it we can do so.

We've never had to contact technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they would be, as I've never dealt with them directly.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It is not difficult or complex.

We use the online version. We don't have to deploy the tool. We don't have to put in a lot of effort as we already have the pipelines in the TFS. We just move it to Azure DevOps.

I'm a solution provider. I sell Azure DevOps and I have a client that was looking to analyze some differences between Jira and Azure DevOps. Therefore, I have evaluated Jira a bit for them.

What other advice do I have?

We are both a reseller and a partner of Microsoft.

We always use the latest version of the solution.

I would recommend this product to other companies and users. If a company or a team doesn't know how to work with Azure DevOps, the advice I would give is to find someone that knows the tool and do a POC first to make sure you understand everything a bit better before diving right in.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

BC
Director at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to comprehend and easy to use but the pricing should be easier to manage

• "The simplicity is very good and the customer experience is also great."
  • "It should be easier to manage Licenses especially because it's in the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

My team uses this solution for the CI/CD deployment, and code check-ins.

We are also using Azure Boards for tracking our work, all of the requirements, the backlogs the sprints, and the release planning.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is that it is easy to comprehend, and it's easy to use.

The simplicity is very good and the customer experience is also great.

What needs improvement?

I am not suggesting this solution should be cheaper. I would like to see a bucket of licenses. for example, 10 licenses or 100 licenses that could be monitored to know how many of those licenses have been used. The price would be deducted accordingly.

I should not have to contact Microsoft daily to request a license or two. There should be a mechanism in place where you are able to find out where you are out of 100 licenses, or that you have used 90 licenses in that year.

I should be given a credit line of 10 licenses at the end of the year or at the end of the month.

It should be easier to manage licenses, especially because it's in the cloud. You should know the usage and based on the usage, you should be able to make decisions.

I have been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for one year.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable product. I have not experienced any issues.

This is an area that has yet to be explored fully. We haven't taken it to this level.

We are a team of 25 to 30 members, which is fine for us. Every time we scale up we need a new license and that takes time, it's not just a click and it's done.

I don't know if it will be scalable for 200 to 300 people.

Previously, I was working with Jira.

I was not involved in the installation. My team completed it.

Price is an area that could be improved. There are products on the market with a fixed price of 50 or 100 people, you are a bucket price.

With Azure, you have to pay for every user.

It's good to have a bucket such as 50 to 100, or 100 to 200, and flexible pricing.

The issue may be from having more than one license. When you procure one license or two licenses, it becomes difficult.

It should be easier to procure a license, it should not be one by one. We don't know how many members I will have on my team three months from now.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue using this solution.

I would recommend this solution, but I would not know their business needs.

Based on the various features, the deployments, licensing, pricing, and the customer experience, I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps a seven out of ten.

Hamid Nia
Software Architect at EML
Easy to implement, good CD pipeline, and very stable

• "The initial setup is quick and easy."
  • "The functions have too much dependency right now, so it makes it really, really hard to upgrade and make a change in the code."

What is our primary use case?

We normally use DevOps. On the application, everything has gone DevOps, however, we don't use the functions. All applications developed there have gone under Azure or AWS. We normally develop them to be able to not be dependent on anything, so if we want to deploy them in another environment, we can deploy them easily. If we want to use it in Azure, we use it in Azure. If we want AWS, we use it in AWS.

What is most valuable?

I like the CD pipeline. It's the most valuable feature for us. It's so easy to integrate into the CD/CI environment. I mostly love that one.

The initial setup is quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

If you want to use the DPR it's a bit harder due to the fact that it's only 30 days.

We've been using the solution for a year and a half at this point.

The stability of the product has been good so far. I can't say that I've witnessed glitches. There aren't bugs. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable, as far as I can tell.

We don't have any issues with the scalability of the solution. If we need to, we're able to scale.

We've never contacted Microsoft for technical assistance.

We are Microsoft partners. We have several Azure experts on our development team, and we have a tech that came from the US and did the training for us. We have a very strong understanding of the product and therefore we don't need help with troubleshooting or anything of that nature.

We also currently use AWS, however, I prefer Microsoft's solution as it's a bit easier to use overall.

We did not find the initial setup to be complex. The implementation is straight forward.

Deployment is quick and typically only takes a few days or so.

We have ten people that handle maintenance. They are in different parts of the world. We have two in Australia, for example, and two in the USA.

The cost can get pretty high if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Microsoft.

I'd highly recommend Microsoft, and I recommend it more than any other solution. Everything is very simple and straightforward. The only worry for some organizations may be the cost. You need to be really, really careful.

I'd rate the solution overall nine out of ten. I think it's really, really great. If the functions were a bit better, I'd give it a full ten out of ten.

IK
Manager with 1-10 employees
Good CI/CD pipeline and testing automation that is both stable and scalable

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the CI/CD pipeline, and the testing automation."
  • "They have to add more features such as schedules and more flexibility in the platform."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for CI/CD projects, for Scrum, Agile planning, testing, and business management system solutions.

We are also using it for continuous integration, and continuous delivery of DevOps.

I am also using the Git Repositories, which is the main source control for me in the organization. We were using it on-premises and now planning to move it to the Cloud.

They are calling it repository and they are supporting an old protocol, which is a popular protocol called Git repository.

What is most valuable?

It's good that they are bringing more options to this environment, and to deploy to virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

The testing agents needs to be improved, they need to work on it.

They can enhance the areas related to continuous integration and build automation. They can add more technologies for the build.

The integration with the Azure infrastructure as a code and include more templates for infrastructure as a code in the continuous integration phase and the build phase.

They can add more flexibility to the continuous deployment.

Artifact management is also an area that needs some enhancements.

I think automation and integration with the CI/CD lifecycle it's good but it's using agents.

I am using a different tool for testing automation because I have not found any use cases on it. This feature is not covered. I'm using only testing and business management. I'm not using the testing automation feature that is provided by Azure DevOps.

I would like to see more integration with other platforms and more flexibility.

They have to add more features such as schedules and more flexibility in the platform. This will allow me to build my space and time based on the schedule and based on a calendar.

I would also like to see a release calendar so that I can plan my releases based on my sprints.

This is required and it would give this solution more maturity. Between Scrum, Agile Planning, or Project planning with the build and deploy prophecies.

I have been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for three years.

We are using the latest version of this solution.

It's a stable solution. We have not experienced any issues.

It's a scalable product. We have more than 50 users in our organization using this solution.

I plan to continue using it in the future.

Previously, I used TeamCity, Jenkins, I used Chef, and many other technologies.

The initial setup is straightforward, it's a cloud service, so it's plug and play.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Microsoft Azure DevOps for other users who are interested in using it.

AS
Senior Business Analyst │ Microsoft Power BI & Power BI App Development at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Free for up to five users, secure, easy to use, and integrates well with other Microsoft products

• "What I like the most about this product is that it's free and it's secure."
  • "The user interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Azure DevOps for tracking the requirements and tracking the issues.

Any issues that we have, are tracked and logged.

Also, we check the developer's workload.

It can be used for different purposes as well. For example, it can be used by software companies and different software teams for collaboration.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about this product is that it's free and it's secure.

You can easily assign it.

It integrates well with other Microsoft products, such as Outlook.

If we experience a login issue, it sends a notification to one of my developers and you also receive an email notification, ensuring that there is no way that a developer can miss working on it or miss seeing it in emails.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

It's a stable solution, we have not experienced any issues.

We have not had to scale it, as we have a very small team with only four members who use this solution on a daily basis.

We have not had to contact technical support. There hasn't been a need, it's very simple.

If you have any issues, you are sent a link through email, you click on the link to address your specific requirements and close it.

You will receive an email notification to confirm that the case is closed.

Previously, we were using Microsoft Excel. We decided to use Microsoft Azure DevOps because it allowed us to assign tasks and get a notification.

The initial setup is simple.

It was easy to deploy and within a day, I was able to learn it and work on it.

I did not use a vendor or an integrator, I did it on my own. It's a Microsoft product and we all use Microsoft.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is free for up to five users and allows you to track a maximum of three projects.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It's a good tool and it's free.

Instead of spending money on premium tools, you can at least start with Microsoft Azure DevOps and then upgrade it slowly.

You can learn how to use this tool in less than a day.

If you have Microsoft 365, this comes with it for free.

It doesn't require any maintenance.

I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

PB
Consulting services manager at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Good user interface, constantly updated, and the technical support is prompt

• "It is a well-integrated product in terms of the development lifecycle."
  • "It would be very useful if it had better integration with Microsoft Word because we would like to be able to define the priority requirement document and add it to different stages of the backlog."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Azure DevOps for the early phase of software development projects. We don't use it for building the software. Rather, it is for development support. It handles management of the features, the composition, the definition of requirements, and checking our requirements against the use cases.

What is most valuable?

Since it is a cloud product, it is constantly updated and not the responsibility of the user.

The quality of the user interface is very good.

It is a well-integrated product in terms of the development lifecycle. There are different functional areas from the requirements to finish including test management, product development, and deployment. I do not personally make use of all of these components together, but I understand from my colleagues that make wider use of it that everything integrates nicely.

What needs improvement?

It lacks integration with Office 365. It would be very useful if it had better integration with Microsoft Word because we would like to be able to define the priority requirement document and add it to different stages of the backlog. Currently, it is difficult to do this. There are some third-party products for this but they are either quite expensive or do not function properly.

I would like to see the requirement management links between work items improved.

An API to develop custom functions would be useful because we work with a large integrator that uses TFS, the on-premises version, and have seen what they do. One of the advantages of it is that you can develop using the XML approach to customization. Essentially, the customizability is more in-depth. This could be done, even without going to the code level, if they provided an API or and SDK. Although the interface currently used for customization is good, we sometimes find it limited. It would be more complex to use but also allow for greater potential.

I have been using Azure DevOps services for two years.

This is a stable service.

I would say that it is scalable. On a recent project, we had a lot of users and did not experience any issues in terms of performance.

I have only been in contact with technical support on one occasion and they gave me a good and prompt answer. From my experience, I can say that I am satisfied.

I do not personally have experience with other products, although the company has some experience with Jira.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product but I would like to see better Office integration and API support.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Microsoft Azure DevOps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.