Microsoft Azure Object Storage Overview

Microsoft Azure Object Storage is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Public Cloud Storage Services. It is most often compared to Oracle Cloud Object Storage: Microsoft Azure Object Storage vs Oracle Cloud Object Storage

What is Microsoft Azure Object Storage?

REST-based object storage for unstructured data in the cloud

• Store infrequently accessed data in a low-cost cool storage tier
  • Store frequently accessed application data in a hot storage tier
  • Stream video, audio, and other media to web, mobile, or desktop applications
  • Power big data analytics
  • Access your data more securely, both over the wire and at rest

Microsoft Azure Object Storage is also known as Microsoft Azure Blob Storage, Azure Object Storage, MS Azure Object Storage, MS Azure Object Storage, MS Azure Object Storage.

Download the Public Cloud Storage Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Microsoft Azure Object Storage Customers

Umbraco, Xbox, Radioshack, 343 Industries, McKesson

Microsoft Azure Object Storage Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure Object Storage pricing:
  • "The cost should be reduced to make it more competitive."
  • "For the cloud, you get charges every day if you are going to download anything, besides the cost for storage those charges are always there."
  • "Pricing is always confusing for all Microsoft products. For this solution, they do provide the estimates, but it is not easy to guess the exact amount that we will be billed."
  • "We have a separate package and pay extra for additional technical support."
  • "The cost of this solution is high compared to others, although there are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees."

EG
Systems Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great for copying data, extremely stable, and has a relatively easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution ourselves. We're in the public sector and use it within our organization. The solution is primarily used for block storage.

• "The key feature for us is the possibility to have a copy of our data and machines outside of our premises just in case of a disaster."
  • "The administration of the solution is not as easy as we would like it to be."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of Azure and the actual version we are using, don't know what it is. We are using the cloud of Azure and I don't know if there is a concept of a version for cloud deployments. That said, the software, Veeam, that we are using is on-premises to do the backup and it's version 10. Overall, I would rate this product at an eight out of ten. We had a lot of problems in the beginning, and a lot of these problems were due to our implementation partner using a local S3 block storage provider. They were not able to restore the backups. However, Azure is a very good solution in general and we've…
Fanish Shukla
Lead - CIO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good metadata analysis and quite stable but there are performance issues with Azure Table storage

What is our primary use case?

Our architects are using it, mostly. We primarily use the solution for Docker containers that we host our Jira and Confluence on. We use the solution for storage, including File, Table, and Block. We have about 20 terabytes of storage. We also do some reporting.

• "The metadata that the solution provides is quite valuable for us. If we need to analyze the latest data from a particular department or particular user, we can simply query through the metadata we store in Azure Object Storage and simply fetch those records which are maybe one day or one month old. this metadata storage is really handy for us."
  • "We've seen some performance issues with Azure Table storage. It's quite slow. The performance surrounding it should be improved to speed things up a bit."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using. In terms of if other organizations should use the solution, I'd say that the question is, do they understand what they prefer. They need to understand the data they want to store and if they will need regular access to it. If they need the data to be easily accessible daily, they need to go for a Hot Tier. If they feel like they would be better off archiving, they need to look for a Cold Tier. The difference between the two is huge. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle and others in Public Cloud Storage Services. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ST
Principal Enterprise Architect at a construction company with 201-500 employees
Highly scalable and the performance is good, especially with unstructured data

What is our primary use case?

We use the Azure Object Storage for our IoT use case. We have thousands of vendors using our machines and they are sending machine performance data to Azure. We then use this data for analytics and product management. We use it both in our development and production environments.

• "I would like to have out-of-the-box connectors to make integration with other products easier."

What other advice do I have?

Azure Object Storage is a product that I strongly recommend for storing all of your unstructured data. Similarly, if you don't know what kinds of data you need to store, then this is the right choice. It also does well if you have massive volume. There is an IoT hub that is going to be released and my hope is that it includes many advanced features. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    AM
    Practice Lead - Storage and Backup at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Stable backup and storage solution with cost value for long term retention

What is our primary use case?

We provide consultancy and we manage the service for our clients with different company sizes. We use this solution to keep backups of their data and for what we call cold storage. There are some cases where we use it for general-purpose files.

• "The most valuable feature is the cost value, which is very important for long term retention."
    • "They could provide multiple tools to provide you with cost calculations, giving you a better picture or providing better details of the cost calculations over the years."

What other advice do I have?

It's not just the storage that is being affected, they have to know if they want to move the data back, and the data is vast and large, those costs will have to be taken care of also. That is something that you will have to be aware and cautious of. I would recommend this solution. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
    OB
    Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    A flexible API, but technical support needs to be faster at resolving issues

What is our primary use case?

We are a software development company and one of our products provides a secure email service for our clients. We deploy our products on Azure using a subscription-based model for our clients. The Azure Object Storage is one of the storage technologies that we use, depending on the requirements and what is needed. For our secure email product, we store some of the encrypted data using this solution. It is done by installing an agent on the user's device, be it Android or otherwise, and the encryption is done on the server-side. Once encrypted, the data is transferred to Object Storage.

• "The most valuable feature is the API because it is very flexible."
    • "Technical support should be faster at resolving issues for tickets that we create."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on your use cases and your requirements. Sometimes you will need block storage, rather than object storage. You need to know what technology is applicable and practical for your use cases. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
    HN
    Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Easy to use and easy to deploy, but requires more AI and ML-based modules and better pricing

What is our primary use case?

We are accessing remote accounting software by using this cloud. We are also using it for cloud backup and disaster recovery.

• "It is easy to use, and we use it for backup and remote desktop access. It is working fine."
    • "They could improve AI and ML-based modules. They should add more modules based on artificial intelligence and machine learning. Pricing is a little bit tricky with Microsoft Azure. They do provide the estimates, but it is not easy to guess the exact amount that we will be billed after a month or two because it is based on usage. This is a little confusing."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go through the documentation first, and if required, they should get help from Microsoft Certified partners. If they are dealers, they should go for Microsoft Azure certification. It is very helpful in technical installation and deployment. I would rate Microsoft Azure Object Storage a seven out of ten.
    SyedIbrahim
    Information Technology Project Manager at a logistics company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Storage solution that is easy to set up with excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

Previously, all of our mail processes and mail access were on-premises and we were facing problems with storage, licenses, and maintenance. Once we moved to Office 365 Microsoft Azure Object Storage, all of the headaches were reduced. We are using the latest version with Office 365.

• "With Microsoft Azure Object Storage, they are an open market."
    • "The cost of support is always expensive."

What other advice do I have?

You can reduce operational costs and the cost of resources. It is easy to maintain, and I would recommend this product. I would rate this solution a nine out ten.
    ZL
    Owner at MIGHT RESOURCES SDN BHD
    A reliable solution for long-term backup retention

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Azure Object Storage for backups. Specifically, we use it for longterm backup retention.

• "The most important thing for me is reliability."
    • "I would like to see a reduction in pricing so that they can be more competitive."

What other advice do I have?

I am satisfied with the features that Azure Object Storage has. In general, this is a product that I recommend but at the end of the day, the suitability depends on the use case and the requirements. If it is something that meets their needs then it will be very beneficial. As we have worked with this product, we have not come across any problems that could not be resolved. That said, there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    See 2 more Microsoft Azure Object Storage Reviews
    Download our free Public Cloud Storage Services Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle, and more!