MB
User at CGI
Reduces work for our IT teams and saves us a lot of time

• "Reduces work for our IT teams and saves us a lot of time."
  • "Quite an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are customers of Microsoft and I'm an IT architect.

What is most valuable?

The solution reduces work for our IT teams. They don't have to keep things up to date, and we can concentrate on our mission. The best feature for us is the help we get from Microsoft to migrate applications to the latest release and support efforts. It saves us a lot of time.

What needs improvement?

The cost is a big issue, it can quickly go up if you don't control things. We've set up a system that shuts down machines regularly so we don't run up costs. Sometimes our development teams start up machines and forget to shut them down, and we see our costs go up quite rapidly with monthly surcharges. It would be helpful if Microsoft didn't change the control panels quite so often. It means we need to retrain personnel whenever things change and that seems to have an impact on our IT teams.

We've been using this solution for nearly four years.

Stability is good and the solution is easy to maintain.

Scalability is really awesome. We don't have to worry about it at all, we're really impressed. Everyone in the company uses Azure.

Tech support is great. I find that we get answers quickly. It's just the first line of support that I criticize sometimes because it seems that whenever we open a ticket, they give us a run around with certain questions that basically we've answered. But as soon as we get into the next level of support, it's more advanced and questions are answered quite rapidly. Our tech guys know how to open a ticket and basically provide all the available information that they need. We sometimes have to get through that initial loop, and answer the same questions again and again, until they push us to another level of support.

Four years ago the initial setup was quite complex but lately I find it's becoming increasingly easier, and the set up rules for securities are a lot simpler. These are things that are improving all the time.

Licensing is on an annual basis.

What other advice do I have?

If a company wants to concentrate more on their mission and less on supporting infrastructure, they should give Azure a go. I find that it saves us a lot of time.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
MC
Managed IT Services Provider at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A scalable solution for one's directory management needs, but lacks fluidity and intuitiveness

• "The solution is completely scalable."
  • "The solution lacks fluidity and is not intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Azure can be used for everything, including development, hosting and storage. Since it offers active directory as relates to the cloud, it can be used for directory management and logins.

What needs improvement?

We work with Azure, which is okay, but very clunky and complex. It lacks fluidity and is not intuitive. This can be problematic and require one to work with external consultants. Things can depend on the client. Not everything can be known in advance and there may be a need to make changes to the interface. Changes which are made to the functionality are not always intuitive. As such, while the solution offers very good functionality, its intuitiveness, in respect of user experience and configuration, is not the best. I should note that these are minor issues and I do not work with Azure very much, there being only a couple environments in which we employ it.

We see the same issue with Microsoft, which is not an intuitive platform. The ways in which the various components are placed seems to be illogical. There are different screens and end-configurations. In my familiary with Microsoft, a decision was reached to do things this way and there is no way to alter this.

As such, the solution could definitely be more intuitive.

The solution is reasonably stable.

The solution is completely scalable.

I have encountered no issues with Microsoft tech support.

The setup of everything is very quick, although the real issue revolves around the speed at which the changes get synchronized. While this may take 24 hours, there are occasionally issues which arise, such as problems with the DNS or general networking issues. This requires one to involve Microsoft tech support.

The technical team required for deployment and maintenance can vary. One of the clients with whom I work is an external provider who does all the configuration in Azure. Another has a back-end of Microsoft 365 and I manage this on my own.

Everything involves an annual commitment with a monthly charge.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is also cloud-based.

At present, two of my clients are using the solution.

I would not recommend the solution to someone who does not require it, instead referring the person to AWS. Like Microsoft Azure, AWS is also not sufficiently intuitive, although it is a more robust solution in my experience.

I rate Microsoft Azure as a six out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anoop Anoop SLK
Enterprise architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Has fast cycle development time and good coupling with internal and external tools

• "The cycle development time is pretty fast, and there's very good coupling within the whole set of Microsoft tools, from database to the ETL engine, ingestion through Azure Data Factory, then modeling Synapse Analytics, and reporting through Power BI."
  • "I think better accelerators and better tools that can be used to migrate and leverage the existing models and data schemas are needed."

What is our primary use case?

It could be used for overall migration from on-premises systems for data ingestion to data processing, data modeling, advanced analytics, and high-end reporting. Microsoft Azure can be used to move from conventional, on-premises relational and traditional data systems and big data systems to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

I have found cost advantage and faster execution to be valuable features. Overall, Microsoft products are budget-friendly.

The cycle development time is pretty fast, and there's very good coupling within the whole set of Microsoft tools, from the database to the ETL engine, ingestion through Azure Data Factory, then modeling with Synapse Analytics, and reporting through Power BI.

You also have the ability to integrate with external tools if required. For instance, if you don't want to model on Synapse Analytics, which is a Microsoft product, you can use Snowflake. So, it allows customers to adopt a hybrid approach of mix and match when needed.

What needs improvement?

As for improvement, I think better accelerators and better tools that can be used to migrate and leverage the existing models and data schemas are needed.

Also, on the ETL side, we can convert data pipelines that are already setup on-premises and business tools that already exist. If we can migrate and automate these into Azure faster, it would be great. I think a faster migration path will help. There is a lot of scope for improvement in this area.

Better reporting capabilities would be good also, because as of now, Microsoft Azure has its own path with Power BI. However, better integration with other enterprise reporting platforms would help.

I've been using Microsoft Azure for two to three years.

Technical support is good for all cloud platforms since it is at a global level. So, it is very professional.

Installation is very fast and can take a few minutes to an hour. A lot of documentation is available, so it could be done in-house.

Microsoft Azure comes with a long-term license and trial licenses as well.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution at nine on a scale from one to ten.

The strategy we are employing is to adopt a hybrid approach rather than switching all at once. We are moving in small bits and having both environments for business continuity. Then, once we and the users are feeling more confident, we will totally switch to the cloud.

KT
President at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Very flexible with good stability but needs better technical support

• "The product has been very stable for us so far."
  • "Technical support could be better. They need to be more responsive."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for setting up a big data platform on Azure and using some Azure items to navigate the data links and Data Factory.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite flexible.

The product has been very stable for us so far.

You can scale the solution if you need to.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be easier to configure in the future. Right now, it's a bit difficult to accomplish.

Technical support could be better. They need to be more responsive.

The documentation should be more accessible. It's hard to find what we need right now.

It would be helpful if there was more data science or AI implemented in future versions.

The product needs to implement more API capabilities.

I've had about two years of experience using this solution.

We've found the stability to be quite good. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We can scale the solution well. If a company wants to scale the solution, they can do so pretty easily.

We have about 20-50 people on the solution currently. We do plan to continue to use it in the future.

I've been in touch with technical support and I haven't found them to be overly helpful. They need to improve their support services. The answers take too long to get. We shouldn't have to wait for as long as we do. I'd say, at this point, we aren't exactly satisfied with the level of service they provide to their clients.

We previously used AWS. We simply used it for benchmarking.

I can't speak to the initial setup as I didn't have any experience with it. I wasn't part of the implementation process.

I did mage the Azure DevOps deployment.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'd recommend the solution for larger clients, especially if they are based in Europe or America.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this product at a seven. It's been mostly good for us. However, it could use much better technical support and documentation to make things easier.

GR
Senior Engineer- Hardware at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Is scalable, easy to install, and has cognitive services

• "We use the cognitive service, virtual machines, and customer DB. Microsoft Azure is also scalable and easy to install."
  • "The market place can be raised, and the CMT can be more sophisticated to create more opportunities for the end users."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure for application sourcing and migration.

What is most valuable?

We use the cognitive service, virtual machines, and customer DB.

We like that Microsoft Azure is scalable and easy to install as well.

What needs improvement?

The market place can be raised, and the CMT can be more sophisticated to create more opportunities for the end users. Nowadays, if I want to go and do a cloud management platform across private clouds and public clouds, then I would need something more out of the box and easy to use.

There's a huge need for platforms, like vertical platforms, where you've got to create the platforms out of the box to sell to those with particular domains. For example, aviation. They might be using their own platforms underneath CAPEX and OPEX that are not distributed. So it would be nice to address the security until you can provide a mutualized solution with CAPEX- and OPEX-based cloud platforms.

It would be good to have out-of-the-box modernization capabilities because the industry is always looking for modernization. So, it would be good to have an out-of-the-box AIML-based solution that would reduce the time needed for application modernization.

I've been using it for two years.

Scalability is out-of-the-box, and you need to design things, picking up the right service that is available. So, I don't see a challenge with scalability. It's all up to how you build it and fuse things together.

As for the initial setup, it's very straightforward. You can automate, create a blueprint, credit stack, etc. It's not complex.

Pay as you go pricing always helps, but you need to be very careful while considering the services. You would need to consider how it all works and how you will be charged. With adequate knowledge, I think you can come up with a good model where the pricing won't be a constraint.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of good solution architect references on what Azure offers, so one should start looking at those. Then, you can correlate them to your problem and do a little mashup and create your solution by well-architected principles, like CAPEX, low cost, security, performance, and scalability.

I would rate Microsoft Azure at eight on a scale from one to ten.

SB
Senior Architect, Technology Transformation Group at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use, flexible, and scales well

• "We find that it is easy to integrate with other Microsoft technologies such as Microsoft Office."
  • "The solution could always work to reduce its costs."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Azure is mainly used for legacy system migration. We also use it for platform development and new custom development package solutions.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The product has been stable and the performance is good.

It's very flexible. We find that it is easy to integrate with other Microsoft technologies such as Microsoft Office.

The solution scales quite well.

Technical support is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

There aren't limitations that come to mind. Whatever they have planned for the solution in the future, I will be happy with it.

The solution could always work to reduce its costs.

It would be ideal if the solution could offer more non-Microsoft-related integration capabilities.

I've been using the solution for two years at this point. It hasn't been too long just yet.

We have found the stability and performance to be quite good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches.

The solution is very scalable. If a company would like to expand it, it can do so.

Currently, we have around 1,000 users.

We've found Microsoft's technical support to be good. they are helpful and responsive and so far, we are satisfied with their level of assistance.

I also have experience working with AWS, Amazon Web Services.

I was not a direct part of the installation, therefore, I can't really comment. I can't directly speak to if the process was easy or difficult.

The pricing could be a bit lower. It would make their customers happy if they decided to charge less.

We pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users, however, we are also advisors. We give advice on products to our customers.

As the solution is cloud-based, it's consistently updated and we are always on whatever the latest version is.

We've been quite happy with its capabilities. I'd rate it at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users or companies that want to start exploring it.

Karthik  Madhava
Founder & Chief Technology Officer at Lavelle Networks
Responsive technical support, scales easily, and is the most economical of the main cloud providers

• "Azure is a good networking solution from a WAN perspective."
  • "I would like to see all of the cloud providers be more compatible with each other."

What is our primary use case?

We are an SD-WAN vendor and we deal with a lot of networks. Microsoft Azure is one that I use regularly.

It's application migration. We run a network as a service from Azure. People are migrating to Azure, either it's MS SQL, SAP on Azure deployments or just running on Azure that we connect.

The primary use case is to provide the SD-WAN to connect their remote offices and users to Azure and the data center.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure is pretty good and in fact, we have about 100 customers who are using Azure on our technology. These are some of the largest manufacturing companies in this region.

What is most valuable?

Azure is a good networking solution from a WAN perspective.

Features and functionality from a scale perspective, at least in the top three, are very compatible. These are AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see all of the cloud providers be more compatible with each other. All of the big organizations, such as large manufacturing and banking and financials, use Azure, while other places will use Google Cloud to AWS. Compatability between these is important.

I have been associated with Microsoft Azure for the last three and a half years.

Azure scales like any other cloud.

As a partner, the technical support is pretty responsive.

We also use Digital Ocean, Google Cloud, AWS, and we are set up with multi-cloud.

I think Azure and AWS are similar in terms of pricing. Google Cloud is cheaper compared to either of these two. Google Cloud on the same sales chart. It is 30% to 40% cheaper than AWS or Azure. The Azure additional option is even cheaper than Google Cloud.

The initial setup was easy.

Pricing is comparable but from a cost perspective, this solution is the cheapest.

What other advice do I have?

We use both Private Cloud and Public Cloud. For Banks it's generally through Private Cloud, otherwise, it's on a Public Cloud, as we deliver services as well on Azure.

This is a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Shashi Jeevan M P
Vice President of Delivery & Deployment at TekFriday Inc
Good cost management and billing, simple UI, but needs better alerts management and VPN

• "The management part of it is good. Its UI is simple to use. The cost management and billing part is also good. These are the top things that I like in Azure."
  • "The alerts management should be improved. Alerts management is very complicated to configure. You have to go through a lot of tests and config action groups to set up those things. It is very complicated, and it can be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Microsoft-certified Azure Admin. I manage Azure infrastructure as well as AWS infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The management part of it is good. Its UI is simple to use. The cost management and billing part is also good. These are the top things that I like in Azure.

What needs improvement?

The alerts management should be improved. Alerts management is very complicated to configure. You have to go through a lot of tests and config action groups to set up those things. It is very complicated, and it can be simplified.

It is good to start with, but as the complexity increases, the usability needs to improve. We are managing only 40 virtual machines, so we are able to make use of the portal.

The VPN part can also be improved. If you want to set up multi-factor authentication for VPN clients, it is not so easy. The documentation is not so simple for multi-factor authentication.

I would like to see Azure Data Factory simplified. It is very complex. If they can simplify the data integration part inside Azure, it would be great. They should design simpler integration. They can also have a new service and keep Data Factory as it is.

I have been using Microsoft Azure for close to five years.

A few years ago, it was unstable, but I've not seen any issues off late. A lot of new features are being added to Microsoft Azure, but I have not seen any stability issues.

The old services are stable. We recently saw a security issue published online. So, the new services might be less stable, but I wouldn't say it is not stable.

I manage that part. Getting support is very painful because tickets get assigned to different countries. People are in different time zones, which is clearly complicated. Each service is managed by different teams situated in different countries, and synchronizing with them is pretty complicated.

It was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It is good for a person who is trying it for the first time. There are some solutions, such as CSP, for which they provide direct support. There are some ways to minimize the complexity. You should go through a party that can provide this kind of knowledge before you decide on it.

I would rate Microsoft Azure a seven out of 10.

Download our free Microsoft Azure Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.