RommelViloria
Director of Technology at WinSoft IT, C.A.
Feature-rich, and the virtual machine support is good

• "The most valuable feature is the virtual machine."
  • "It is impossible to sell a cloud-based model here in Venezuela because we have strong inflation and most of our clients are immigrating to on-premises solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Azure is one of the products that we offer to our customers. However, there is a problem. It is impossible to sell a cloud-based model here in Venezuela because we have strong inflation and most of our clients are immigrating to on-premises solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the virtual machine.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs to be adjusted so that the strong inflation in Venezuela does not prevent customers from purchasing it.

I have a lot of experience with Microsoft. I started using Microsoft 25 years ago. I have used it in all aspects, both on-premises and soon in Azure cloud.

This is not strongly done on-premises, but we have several approaches with Microsoft Azure.

We have approached our clients about using Kubernetes or Docker because it's cheaper when inflation is considered.

We are researching how we can migrate all old legacy applications using Docker. In Venezuela, the software installed with all of our clients is legacy.

We have clients with Windows Server 2003, 2008, and applications with older operating systems who need to move to the cloud, but it is impossible because the cloud doesn't support those operating system versions. For this reason, we are considering using Docker to encapsulate the applications to see if it is feasible to migrate to the cloud or if we require new equipment on-premises.

Most of their software is not updated and won't be able to migrate to the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

In Venezuela, we are having some problems with the economy regarding the exchange control with our currency.

The best Microsoft product in my opinion Azure Stack Hyper-Converged Infrastructure or Azure Stack HCI. It's for working in hybrid mode.

I would rate Microsoft Azure a ten out of ten.

KS
Associate Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great for configuring on a variety of machines; very stable and scalable

• "It's a reasonably priced solution."
  • "Could be more user friendly; security features should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

In our company, this solution is mainly used for configuring devices and enabling them to be used by multiple users. I'm a developer.

What is most valuable?

The product is valuable if you don't want to spend a lot of money configuring your own devices on different machines. I like that if I only want to use limited features, I don't have to pay for it.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not particularly user friendly so that could be improved. With Microsoft Azure it's quite difficult to do anything freely or try my hand at something new. I think the solution is also lacking in security. I'd like to see the option of a free account for carrying out a POC and the ability to play around with the solution without any restrictions.

We've been using this solution for a year.

This is a stable solution.

We have the server on cloud so it's scalable according to demand. All of our staff use it, and we have 15,000 users.

I previously used AWS. In comparison, Azure is a little restricted because of the security features and, as a developer, I'm not comfortable with that. AWS is more user friendly and in general, people find it easier to use. AWS is easier to install and to experiment and play around with to get a feel for the product.

There is no setup as such, it's on a server and it's a matter of configuring on the cloud. If you need, you can spawn 3,000 machines with a single execution and 10,000 or so test scripts within minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.

I rate it an eight out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dawn McClure
IT Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable single sign-on authentication with access to multiple Microsoft applications

• "We like that you sign in only once and that grants access to all of the Microsft applications, as well as others such as ServiceNow and SAP Concur."
  • "Ease of use could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for single sign-on authentication.

What is most valuable?

We like that you sign in only once and that grants access to all of the Microsft applications, as well as others such as ServiceNow and SAP Concur.

What needs improvement?

Ease of use could be improved. You wouldn't just be able to use this solution without being trained on it.

We have Microsoft Azure for approximately five years.

We are always updating Microsoft.

It's been pretty stable. There have only been one or two instances where Microsoft went down. One time, it was the building's main operations center that was struck by lightning and caught on fire.

We have 20,000 users in our organization who are using this solution.

As we acquire other companies, we will increase the usage.

Technical support needs improvement. If you are able to get a rep then it's great. If not, you are left hanging.

Previously, we used Okta.

We switched over because we got the Enterprise package with Microsoft Suite.

The initial setup was completed by our internal Microsoft team.

Microsoft Azure definitely provides us with a return on investment.

Licensing costs for Enterprise are on an annual basis. In addition, we pay to have Gartner help us negotiate.

What other advice do I have?

It is best to have a dedicated team because it is not easy to use and get set up or to get acclimatized in the amount of training that you need to become familiar with the solution.

I would rate Microsoft Azure a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

HimanshuTejwani
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Competitively priced, but the interface needs to be more user-friendly

• "It's a cloud service, so it's always up to date."
  • "If you compare it with AWS, it is not very friendly to use. I find the UI better to work with on AWS."

What is our primary use case?

It's similar to AWS.

It's an infrastructure as a service.

What is most valuable?

It's a cloud service, so it's always up to date.

What needs improvement?

If you compare it with AWS, it is not very friendly to use. I find the UI better to work with on AWS.

They easily provide service with Windows, but not with Linux.

I am a beginner, and only been using Microsoft Azure for a couple of months.

Microsoft Azure is pretty stable.

It's a scalable product. Because it's a cloud service, there is an infinite opportunity for scaling.

We only have one or two people who are using this solution in our organization.

I reached out to support once, but they were not that quick to respond.

Technical support could be faster.

I have experience with AWS and Microsoft Azure is not that friendly. It is a bit complicated compared to AWS.

It's a cloud service. There is no installation.

It is expensive, but it is less expensive than AWS.

Even with it being cheaper than AWS, the price could be cheaper.

It is similar to AWS, where it is on-demand and is billed monthly.

What other advice do I have?

We are not currently using this solution and we are not sure if we will be using it in the future.

For those who are connected to the Windows Operating System, I would recommend this product. However, I would not recommend it for a Linux environment.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Associate Vice President at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, easy to use, and scalable

• "It's set up to handle any cloud requirement."
  • "The security of the solution could always be much better."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for One Drive on Microsoft, as well as Office 365 and Microsoft Teams.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

It's great for ready-to-use services.

It's set up to handle any cloud requirement.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is great.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft needs to simplify its licensing, which is hard to understand currently.

The security of the solution could always be much better.

We've been using the solution for three to four years. It's been a while.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the product is great. Due to the fact that it is a cloud deployment, it scales well.

I've used technical support in the past. They are okay. We've been satisfied with them.

We are also using AWS.

We have a team that handles the implementation.

Depending on the situation, you don't need too many people to maintain it. We always start with one resource and go from there.

The licensing is always confusing with Microsoft. It's very hard to understand.

What other advice do I have?

Due to the fact that we're using the cloud deployment of the solution, we're always on the latest version.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations. Azure is the first ones to come onto the market. They have a very good solution.

EB
Information Technology Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good performance with a straightforward setup and the capability to scale

• "The stability is very good. The performance is excellent."
  • "The cost of the product is too high. It would be ideal if they could lower it a bit for their customers."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in our lab. We use it for critical services for the most part.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very scalable.

The stability is very good. The performance is excellent.

We found the installation to be very easy and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about two to three years or so. It's been a while.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable.

The scalability of the solution is very good. A company can expand it if it needs to.

We have six users on the solution currently. We have one project manager and five general users.

I can't speak to the technical support services or Microsoft. I can't say that I have used them.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's very simple. It's quite straightforward.

The solution is too expensive. They need to work on the pricing.

I can't speak to the exact cost our company pays in order to use Azure.

What other advice do I have?

As it's a cloud-based solution, we're always on the latest version. it automatically self-updates.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've mostly been quite happy with the capability of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and other organizations.

NK
Senior IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use, good integration with Active Directory, and quick support

• "The feature that we like best is integration with Active Directory."
  • "It would be advantageous if the dashboard had more clarity, in terms of the visibility that it provides."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure for storage, virtual machines, virtual networking, and our VPN.

We have the Microsoft Firewall set up, and we use Blob Storage.

There are many different features we use, based on different requirements.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we like best is integration with Active Directory.

Azure is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It would be advantageous if the dashboard had more clarity, in terms of the visibility that it provides. The challenge that we are facing has to do with resources and the grouping of them. We have different services that we use and we cannot see all of them until we filter the resource group.

Having inbuilt security would be an improvement. As it is now, Microsoft has a sentinel as a security tool, where you need to integrate it.

I have been using Microsoft Azure for more than three years.

This is a scalable product. We have between 50 and 100 people who are using it, and most of them are software developers.

The support is very good, and they respond within an hour.

We use AWS as well as Azure.

Normally, we log in and then we roll out the services for instances that we want, based on the requirements. It only takes a couple of minutes to deploy.

We deploy this product ourselves and we have a DevOps engineer who takes care of the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product. We definitely plan to continue using it in the future and I recommend it to others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

VG
Systems Architect at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good for managing and configuring infrastructures

• "In terms of managing and configuring infrastructures, Azure is fairly good."
  • "Azure could be improved with better security. The world is changing and their security could be better. Compared to five years ago, many of these cloud systems are a lot better, especially since you can set up a private cloud and configure your services to make it more secure."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for GPU-centric computing and deploying web services infrastructure solutions.

What is most valuable?

In terms of managing and configuring infrastructures, Azure is fairly good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft Azure for more than two years.

This solution is stable.

I used Azure in a research-related context to see what features were possible, not a scalability context, so my impressions are limited.

If you require a good amount of support, you may have an easier time with AWS.

Installation may not be easy for novices, but for experienced folks, it's fairly straightforward. You can do it yourself.

I implemented this solution myself.

Licensing is available for Azure. We mainly use Azure in a research context and to showcase what's possible, not from a scalability context, so our usage is limited from that standpoint.

I have also worked with Amazon AWS. In general, AWS is fairly good too. I also know that many people also look at Google Cloud, which offers similar features and services.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft Azure an eight out of ten. There are some quirks, but in terms of managing and configuring infrastructures, it's fairly good. I recommend Azure because it's a top-class cloud solution provider, so there aren't many issues.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Microsoft Azure Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.