AP
Data Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good support, offers advanced threat protection, and it integrates well with Polybase

• "The most important feature for me is the integration with PolyBase."
  • "The need to improve a little bit in terms of user-friendliness."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using this solution as an interface between the Data Lake and the users.

We are consultants and this product assists with the services that we offer for our clients. Our company has a large number of consultants who are working in this space.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for me is the integration with PolyBase.

Other valuable features for me are advanced threat protection and data privacy.

What needs improvement?

I would like there to be more focus on the Software as a Service (SaaS) product. For example, Snowflake, one of their competitors, is more focused on SaaS.

They need to improve a little bit in terms of user-friendliness. I would rate them a three out of five, in terms of how user-friendly the interface is.

The auto-scaling capabilities are quite poor, especially compared to Snowflake or Firebolt.

In total, I have been using Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for one year.

This is a stable solution.

You can scale it, although you need to put in more effort. We have approximately 800 users.

In general, Microsoft support is pretty good.

I have experience with similar products such as Snowflake and Firebolt.

The initial setup is very complex compared to other products. It takes weeks to deploy.

We implement this product for our clients.

The cost of the licensing depends on the size of the warehouse, where the cost of storage is approximately $130 USD per terabyte. The charge might be several thousand dollars or more each month.

There are multiple options that are available at an extra cost. For example, the advanced threat protection costs an extra $25 USD.

We evaluated several options before choosing Synaps Analytics.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product really depends on the use case. It is good if your company is using only Microsoft products and you don't want to use another stack. If you want to use other platforms then you should consider Snowflake, which is also deployed on Azure. It really depends on what it is that you need.

Hybrid Cloud
RP
Software Engineer at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
It is well-structured and provides good performance

• "I like its performance. It is well-structured and offers a lot of practical options. Because of the visual design of the product, it is very easy to find icons and other visual elements. It took me more than two weeks to understand how it works. I had an intensive training session to understand it, which was enough. It was not hard to understand how it works."
  • "I am a researcher. For people to be able to research a solution, there should be at least a free trial. Just advertising a product or saying that this product is better doesn't work. I would strongly recommend providing a lot of free trials and trainings. This will also help Microsoft in having more users or customers. Oracle provides some free trials. You can just go for a free trial and use your database online, which is very good."

What is our primary use case?

I used it for a project thesis for my school project.

What is most valuable?

I like its performance. It is well-structured and offers a lot of practical options. Because of the visual design of the product, it is very easy to find icons and other visual elements.

It took me more than two weeks to understand how it works. I had an intensive training session to understand it, which was enough. It was not hard to understand how it works.

What needs improvement?

I am a researcher. For people to be able to research a solution, there should be at least a free trial. Just advertising a product or saying that this product is better doesn't work. I would strongly recommend providing a lot of free trials and trainings. This will also help Microsoft in having more users or customers. Oracle provides some free trials. You can just go for a free trial and use your database online, which is very good.

I have been using Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse for three months.

It was ready when I started to use it. I just had to do my project.

Its price could be better. It was a school project, and I got it for free. If I try to pay through my company, it is a little bit more expensive as compared to Oracle.

I am also using an Oracle solution. Oracle has been in the database field for a longer time, and it provides you more familiar terms that the users understand. When users start to work with an Oracle solution, they are more familiar with the terms. They just need basic training to understand it, but with Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse, they have to be a little bit more experienced. In order to understand this product better, they have to know how other Microsoft products work.

What other advice do I have?

It is a powerful asset if we can use it and learn more about it. If Microsoft can give some free training sessions for students and amateurs, it would be helpful in knowing more about this product from inside.

I would rate Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Practice Head BI at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good reporting and analytics, and can handle very large amounts of data

• "The main advantage of using this solution is its ability to scale and handle very large amounts of data, in the petabyte range."
  • "With respect to what needs to be improved, concurrent connectivity has some limitations."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we provide different tools for our clients. Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse is one of the solutions that we have implemented.

The use cases vary depending on the client. We have a couple of clients who are moving their data from on-premises to Azure databases, and they are using this solution primarily for reporting analytics. They also use visualization tools on top of the reporting.

What is most valuable?

When we are not using this solution we can simply shut it down saving us costs, which is a nice advantage.

What needs improvement?

With respect to what needs to be improved, concurrent connectivity has some limitations.

We have been using Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse for about one year.

This solution is stable.

We are satisfied with the scalability.

A lot of people use the analytics and I would estimate it to be between 50 and 100 users. Most of them are business users, although some are power users who built the system for them.

It is good technical support in general, we find. We were in contact with them when we were doing a migration from on-premises to the cloud, and it was very nice.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is being changed from day-to-day. Now it has become Synapse Analytics and a lot of things are being added to it. I'm curious to see how that turns out. They have a lot of new integrations and features, including predictive analysis and big data integration. They may have solved the issues with concurrent connectivity, so I'm curious to put my hands on it.

The product is being upgraded and updated to support a lot of analytic features, and it is a great tool to use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Solution Principal at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good documentation and does not incur costs when not in use, but needs support for query caching

• "The most valuable feature is that you can suspend the computer if it is not being used, which means that you don't incur costs."
  • "This solution needs to have query caching so that if the same query is run and the results are available, it will return the data from the cache without having to re-run the query."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting agency and the Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse is what we use for general BI reporting and visualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can suspend the computer if it is not being used, which means that you don't incur costs. This is better than Amazon Redshift, where the costs continue to accumulate.

The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to have query caching so that if the same query is run and the results are available, it will return the data from the cache without having to re-run the query. As it is now, you still have to use compute for each query.

We would like to have integration with the data lake so that we can avoid retrieving the data from it, just to store it in Synapse before we can use it. From an architectural perspective, avoiding this replication would be good.

I have been using this product for about one year.

Stability-wise, this is a good product.

This solution is scalable, although I don't expect that we will expand it beyond the current usage.

We have not had to reach out to support. Rather, we have relied on the documentation. It is easy to solve your own problems.

I also have experience with using Snowflake. It has the option to cache query results, which is helpful.

Amazon Redshift is another similar solution that I have experience with, although it lacks the ability to suspend the computer to save costs when it is not being used.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The Azure SQL Data Warehouse has been renamed to Synapse, although not all of the features have been implemented yet. I am looking forward to a more mature version of this product in the future.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

PradeepPV
Vice President Technologies at Excelencia
Easy administration, cost-effective, and scales to any requirement

• "Azure elasticity allows us to scale as much as we want, and it is pay-as-you-go, so we can scale up as we need to."
  • "The configuration for things like high-availability could be more user-friendly for non-technical users."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software development company and this is one of the solutions that we recommend to our clients. The applications that we develop make use of this technology.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Azure SQL Data Warehouse means that you don't have to worry about big servers.

What is most valuable?

The best part is the easy and user-friendly administration and handling of the data.

What needs improvement?

The configuration for things like high-availability could be more user-friendly for non-technical users.

We have been using Azure SQL Data Warehouse for almost twelve years.

This is a stable solution with no issues.

Scalability is the best part of going with a cloud-based solution. I don't have to worry about server space. Azure elasticity allows us to scale as much as we want, and it is pay-as-you-go, so we can scale up as we need to. What we propose to the people who are implementing this solution is to start with the minimum requirements and then scale up based on demand.

We have not seen any problems with technical support. We have Microsoft certification, so we very rarely contact them for any help. Normally, we handle the support for our clients.

The initial setup is straightforward. The requirements are very clear, and there is not much of a problem when you're doing it.

One of the recent upgrades we have done that included high-availability, loading the data, and setting everything up, took about a month and a half.

The licensing fees for this solution are on a pay-per-use basis, and not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The core strength of Microsoft technologies is ease of use and administration, regardless of the type of product.

This is a good solution to go with, the cost is reasonable, and I recommend it.

BeverlyTshifularo
Senior Business Analyst: BI Team Lead at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The architectural design is very scalable but the services are expensive

• "The features we've found most valuable for data warehouses is extracting data, SSIS packages, and the DBs."
  • "I'm not entirely happy with the billing model. I'm not entirely happy with how the enterprise services are pretty expensive, but that's about it."

How has it helped my organization?

We haven't really implemented any SSIS. I haven't been in a project where it was implemented as part of the data we have been building.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

So far, with the current SQL that I'm using compared to what we've previously used, I'm happy with it. I wouldn't necessarily point out anything that needs improvement.

From my point of view from what we have implemented recently, I'm happy with the solution, I'm happy with the performance. I'm not entirely happy with the billing model. I'm not entirely happy with how the enterprise services are pretty expensive, but that's about it.

I have been using this solution for around 18 months.

It is very stable.

I think the architectural design is very scalable.

I never contacted Microsoft customer support.

We do have access to it, but we haven't needed to.

I've used Tableau, I've used SQL DB, I've used SAP DB.

The initial setup wasn't complex. It was okay. It wasn't complex at all.

To set it up within full compliance with our cloud infrastructure team, I'd say maybe two weeks after beginning our testing. I'd say the team wasn't a hundred percent devoted to setting it up as they had other things to do. So I'd say I'll give it two weeks to be realistic for a large organization.

It depends on whether you have those resources internally or not. If you have internal resources you wouldn't need to outsource, if you don't have, you would. So it's not a matter of how good that application is but a question of whether you have the capability in house.

The enterprise services are pretty expensive.

Project Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good analytics and integration with Power BI, but the ETL capability is far behind other products

• "The most valuable feature of the solution is the analytics and that it can connect with Power BI."
  • "I would like my team to be able to build pipelines that integrate with the Azure Data Factory."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for source analytics and procurement.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is the analytics and that it can connect with Power BI. I found it quite interesting and very compelling in terms of detail within a single stack.

What needs improvement?

I would like my team to be able to build pipelines that integrate with the Azure Data Factory. Some of the best-in-class ETL products that are available in the market, such as Informatica ETL, are far more mature than this solution.

We started implementing projects with Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse about six months ago.

This is a stable product.

Scalability is good and we haven't had any issues.

We have approximately 150 users. We are stable at the moment but we will expand our usage as we get more data.

We have contacted Microsoft support twice, but I do not have much experience with them.

In addition to Azure SQL Data Warehouse, we work with the version that is on-premises.

We are also working with Oracle Data Warehouse and we plan to continue using both of these solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We implement this solution for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using Microsoft products, such as Office 365, then this solution is good because it can take the data from multiple sources.

This is a good product, but when you compare to Oracle Data Warehouse there are differences in scalability, high availability, and implementation.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Chitra Govindasamy
BI Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Straightforward installation, beneficial dedicated SQL pooling, but performance could improve

• "The integrated workspace in Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics where everything comes together, such as Power BI and Data Factory, is very good. Additionally, the ability to do dedicated SQL pooling is a benefit."
  • "In the future, Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics could improve the performance, there are other solutions that are better, such as Databricks."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics can be used for analytics and brings together data integration.

What is most valuable?

The integrated workspace in Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics where everything comes together, such as Power BI and Data Factory, is very good. Additionally, the ability to do dedicated SQL pooling is a benefit.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics can improve querying. I have recently used Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics to connect to the Delta Lake file and I have noticed some issues. It has not been able to read the latest version of the Delta Lake file and I have found this to be a disadvantage that they can improve.

In the future, Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics could improve the performance, there are other solutions that are better, such as Databricks.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for approximately six months.

On the client's side, there are approximately 100 users of this solution.

Have I reached out to Microsoft technical support in a few instances and we have raised a couple of tickets. A couple of agents have been knowledgeable, but not everyone is.

The installation of Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics was easy. It was not complicated, but I have not explored the VNet Injection or the Private Endpoint though I think it would be straightforward.

We are on a monthly payment plan for the use of Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics.

We have done some comparisons between Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics in many areas, such as processing queries, versus Databricks. We have found Databricks to be better in performance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. The client that I am working for, their preferred database is Synapse.

I rate Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics a seven out of ten.

Product Categories
Cloud Data Warehouse
Download our free Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.