EI
Manager: Data Analytics at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Cost-effective, reliable data warehousing that is user-friendly, and it is easy to scale

• "They are very reliable and cost-effective."
  • "I am pretty sure that there are areas that need improvement but I just can think of them off the top of my head."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for data warehousing and analytics.

What is most valuable?

Pretty much all of the features are valuable. The storage, compute, all essentially differentiate what you do.

They are very reliable and cost-effective. It meets the client's requirements.

It's user-friendly, has a good dashboard, and my team is happy with everything.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a while, I would say approximately two years.

We are using the latest version. It's always updated on the cloud.

We found it to be a very stable product.

It's a scalable solution and we find it to be easy to scale.

Generally, support from Microsoft is always good.

I can't recall where we had an issue that we had to contact technical support, but the support is very good.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It took only five minutes to set up.

We completed the deployment in-house, we did it ourselves. We also implement it for our clients.

It's pretty straightforward, we do not need help with this.

Because it's a cloud solution, the cost is a different convention and the licensing costs are not the same.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. We recommend it to our clients.

It's exceptionally good, and our clients and other partners find it both stable and scalable.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

EI
Manager: Data Analytics at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, has a good dashboard, and meets the needs of our clients

• "It's user-friendly and has a good dashboard."
  • "I am very sure that there are areas in need of improvement, but I can't recall what they are off the top of my head."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product data warehousing and analytics.

What is most valuable?

Pretty much all of the features are valuable, including storage and compute. All of the features are essential to what you do.

It's very reliable and cost-effective. It meets the needs of our clients.

It's user-friendly and has a good dashboard.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for a couple of years.

It's a stable product and we're satisfied and comfortable with it. Our clients and partners have found it to be very stable and scalable, as well.

Synapse Analytics is a scalable product.

Generally, support from Microsoft is always good. I can't recall the specific instance where we had to contact them, but it was good.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It only took five minutes to set up.

We deployed the solution in-house, and we also deploy it for our clients.

This is a cost-effective product.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend this solution to others, and we recommend it to our clients.

Overall, it's exceptionally good.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SB
Co-owner, Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A stable and useful solution for business intelligence

• "The whole solution is interesting for us."
  • "They should provide a less expensive version with a smaller setup for small businesses. Currently, its price is quite high for entry-level or small businesses. In terms of integration, new connectors are always welcomed."

What is our primary use case?

It is for business intelligence. We are gathering all the data from legacy systems and transforming the data. We are then pushing the data back towards Power BI.

What is most valuable?

The whole solution is interesting for us.

What needs improvement?

They should provide a less expensive version with a smaller setup for small businesses. Currently, its price is quite high for entry-level or small businesses. In terms of integration, new connectors are always welcomed.

I have been using this solution for a year.

It is quite stable.

We don't scale up because the current level is enough for our customers. Our customers are small and medium companies in Europe.

I don't use their support.

It is complex. There are too many products that we need to involve in its setup, such as data factory and machine learning, and they're integrated so intricately. You need to have quite good skills to work with this. You would need a partner. You cannot do it yourself. The deployment usually takes a month.

It requires a less expensive version because currently, not every customer is able to buy it. If it could have a smaller setup that doesn't require so many resources, it would be helpful, and we would be able to use it in more cases. We are a small country, and most of our customers are quite small businesses.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics a nine out of ten.

RaniG
Azure Data Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides a lot of design options, is very interactive and flexible

• "Very interactive and provides flexibility."
  • "Documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We're using this solution for general data integration. We are customers of Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics and I'm a data specialist.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution because it's very interactive and provides flexibility. It's mostly a drag-and-drop procedure. It also provides a lot of design choices.

What needs improvement?

We've only recently starting testing this solution and it would be helpful if the documentation was better or if the company could provide some kind of presentation to help us understand how the tool works and what's required to optimize use of the solution.

We've been testing this solution for a couple of months.

I haven't seen any issues with stability or scalability. We have an infrastructure team of around 40 people.

The company chose Synapse Analytics because the price is fair and I understand it's cheaper than Snowflake.

We're also hoping to evaluate Snowflake which is an advanced version of both Azure and AWS together. Snowflake has advantages, especially in terms of scalability which can also be implemented separately at the storage level and also at the computer level.

What other advice do I have?

I think Synapse Analytics is definitely better than the traditional high solution data solutions that we've previously used. It's definitely worth considering and I haven't come across anything negative, only advantages for now.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
SR
Co Founder & CTO at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
Provides good insights into vehicle data

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for gathering data and analytics. We provide insights into vehicle data. We gather millions of records per second and we have various millions of vehicles running across.

I have been using Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse for three years.

It could be more stable.

It is a Cloud platform and so it is easy to scale.

What is our primary use case?

I have been using Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse for three years.

It could be more stable.

It is a Cloud platform and so it is easy to scale.

When it comes to first level support, most of the time it's not a technical issue, it's a configuration issue where data mismatches. I get support anytime I want. Within an hour I can get anybody on the call and get the issue resolved. They have a one-to-one support channel which we can email when we require assistance.

We installed Datawarehouse in a couple of minutes. However, the configuration based on our data models took time. It can take us weeks because that's where our optimization sits. Just tuning the parameters can take several days' at a time.

The price of the package is not expensive and depends on how much it is used.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse a nine out of ten.

Ankit Mittal
Director of Data Analytics Practice at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Data retrieval and warehousing that is scalable and flexible, and the documentation is good

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for the fast retrieval of data, which is in the data warehouse on-premises and migrating it to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is performance gains. The scalable nature of the data warehouse on the cloud, and the flexibility that you get, and important features.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them provide the ingestion of images.

I have been using this solution for more than three years. It's a production that keeps changing and we are always using the latest version.

This solution is quite stable. It's in the cloud and we have not faced any issues.

What do I think about the

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is performance gains.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them provide the ingestion of images.

I have been using this solution for more than three years.

This solution is scalable.

Technical support was not needed because of all of the documentation available.

The initial setup is straightforward.

All of the prices are available online.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to move your on-premises data warehouse to the cloud. Move it there faster, as you can get more performance gains and it's also a robust infrastructure.

Anoop Anoop SLK
Enterprise architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Very cost effective with virtualization to Power BI; overall deployment and integration is quick

• "Overall deployment and integration is pretty fast."
  • "Could have more connectors and better integration for Hadoop."

What is our primary use case?

We're using this solution for analytics and its modeling capabilities. It allows you to have your visualization on top of your synapse analytics. We are partners with Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

I like that the overall deployment and integration is pretty fast and then you also have virtualization to Power BI so it's also quite cost-effective.

What needs improvement?

For improvement, I would like to see more connectors and better integration for Hadoop. There are currently limitations for Hadoop on-prem. I'd like to see better integration and more flexibility.

I've been using this product for almost a year.

This is a stable solution. We have four companies who are customers of this solution and we have a team that deals with any problems.

The product is scalable.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward and takes around two hours.

There is a license for Azure, and whether it's a monthly or annual payment depends on the agreement you have with Microsoft. A long-term plan is more cost effective.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

RV
Director at Nihil Solutions
A great cloud-based solution but shifting between environments can be tricky

• "The speed is great and the architecture is excellent."
  • "Microsoft should develop an interface to make it easier to shift from on-premise to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

There are around 10 people using this solution within our organization and we have plans to increase the usage.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Azure uses the Massively Parallel Processing concept for data warehousing. The speed is great and the architecture is excellent.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft should develop an interface to make it easier to shift from on-premise to the cloud.

There needs to be a lift and shift tool to move on-premise, IMS high-volume data to synopsis sequence data on the cloud.

I have been using this solution for two years.

The stability is okay, but it could be improved. I believe Microsoft is working on fixing this at the moment.

We are satisfied with the technical support.

We used to use an AWF product, but Microsoft Azure is a better cloud-based solution compared to AWF.

Our license is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other enterprises.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

Product Categories
Cloud Data Warehouse
Download our free Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.