SK
Project Manager at GlaxoSmithKline
Very good toggling feature; unfortunately some performance issues and inability to aggregate

• "The solution has a good toggling feature."
  • "Lacks the ability to copy data from BI into PowerPoint."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a project manager and we are customers of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

I like the toggling feature, the ability to switch from one page to another.

What needs improvement?

I have a couple of dashboards that are weekly and monthly. I was able to download the dashboard, but I cannot paste any images into PowerPoint. There are also visuals based on the brand that should automatically pop up in the graph and which should be a toggling option. And I'm having performance issues if I want to add two or three tables at a time, which I could easily do in Tableau. Copy-pasting data to PowerPoint for presentation to the executive level should be easy but we're only able to copy the visual, not the underlying data.

I've been using this solution for the past eight months.

The solution is scalable but we haven't yet migrated everyone to Power BI. Our users are not finding Power BI as good as Pique, which perhaps they're just more used to. They're trying but some of the features available in Pique are not there so they are not comprehensively using it. It's being used mainly for internal analysis for now.

We initially used Tableau because our data was an internal data source, and now all of our data is migrated to tool environments, that the Power BI is more comfortable with. BI is also a free product which is another reason the company recommends it.

The initial setup was straightforward, we have a Power BI admin team who take care of all that.

What other advice do I have?

Because of performance issues and because we're unable to do all the aggregation, I rate this solution six out of 10.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Enrique Pacheco
Managing Director at IDMdev Tech Solutions®
It is stable and provides a quick view of the most important indicators, but its setup and support should be better

• "The use of graphics to show and view the data indicators is the most valuable feature. It is also very stable."
  • "Its setup and support should be improved. We would like to see more material for developers that provides clear explanations about how we can do data mining by using Microsoft BI. It would also be good if we can connect a feature to other customized machine learning solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We have integrated this solution into the software that we created for a client specifically for reports and data consumption. It is a hybrid infrastructure project with hybrid integration. It has a lot of reports executed or created from the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to have a really quick view of the most important indicators of the operational issues of our platform. It has enabled collaboration between different operational levels in the company.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its setup and support should be improved. We would like to see more material for developers that provides clear explanations about how we can do data mining by using Microsoft BI. It would also be good if we can connect a feature to other customized machine learning solutions.

It has good stability.

We haven't used it a lot, but it seems good so far. We have only three users. We may include two or three more users to the platform.

Their technical support is bad. I didn't like the technical support of Microsoft.

We also use Oracle and Tableau.

The initial setup was not complex, but we would like a more agile process. The initial deployment took about two months. The platform that we created was very robust.

We are a reseller of the solution. We did the deployment.

We were thinking of integrating Tableau instead of Microsoft BI, but the client chose Microsoft BI.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Marian Petkov
Team Leader at Eurobank EFG Bulgaria AD
An intelligent and intuitive data visualization and analytics tool

• "It's similar to Excel, but it's much more powerful than Excel."
  • "I cannot comment on the stability as we haven't yet used it for a big project."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI for the visualization of data. We also hope to use it for machine learning as it's very powerful, but at the moment, we are trying to get authorized for reporting and analysis.

What is most valuable?

It's similar to Excel, but it's much more powerful than Excel. I love the unlimited number of rows that can be processed, the grant server application, and the strong security.

It produces a very nice picture — very nice graph managers that are very attractive.

The way you prepare your reports is very intelligent and intuitive.

It's very easy to operate and the dashboard is great.

I have been using this solution for a few months now.

Microsoft BI is stable, but I cannot comment on the stability as we haven't yet used it for a big project.

The customer support is excellent. We get perfect support and it is regional — not only in our country, but there is also regional representation from Microsoft's so-called architects; they are very good professionals who help us with whatever we require.

Currently, we are in process of implementing this solution on my computer. I installed the Microsoft Power BI desktop application very easily and started my training. I didn't experience any difficulties.

I collected information from several sources and it's been working well — I am happy with this software.

I needed about 15 minutes to install the desktop application. The other portion is web-based, so I haven't gotten to that yet.

Microsoft BI is not very cheap. A premium license costs roughly 5,000 euros a month.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to other interested companies.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft BI a rating of eight.

MB
Power BI Technical Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Useful for collaboration and insightful data visualizations, highly scalable, and easy to deploy

• "We are able to collaborate on things and get insightful data visualizations."
  • "Its performance and stability can be improved. It takes time to load, and sometimes, it also breaks down for the whole region. Its usability could also be better, and it could also have more connections with different data sources."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for reporting ERP data, IT service data, financial data, and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been helpful in getting insights. We weren't able to get insights at such a level. It is also helpful in getting an overview of different departments. We are able to do it much faster than before.

What is most valuable?

We are able to collaborate on things and get insightful data visualizations.

What needs improvement?

Its performance and stability can be improved. It takes time to load, and sometimes, it also breaks down for the whole region.

Its usability could also be better, and it could also have more connections with different data sources.

I have been using this solution for two years. In this company, I have been using it for two months.

It is not completely stable. Sometimes, it goes off for the whole North Europe region. Its stability should be improved.

It is scalable, and there are no issues with its scalability. I would rate it a ten out of ten in terms of scalability. We have around 300 users of this solution.

We don't have any issues with their technical support.

I have worked only with Power BI.

It is easy because documentation and a lot of tutorials are available. Its deployment took one month.

Power BI premium is really expensive for our market. A lot of small and medium companies would like to purchase it, but they can't afford it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Power BI an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
AK
OBIEE/ODI senior consultant at Kastech
A stable and scalable solution with good tech support

• "The visualization part and its inclusion in a cloud-based application are valuable features."
  • "The solution is somewhat costly in comparison with MSBI tools."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution is somewhat costly in comparison with MSBI tools.

In MSBI, when it comes to mobile and maps-related applications, we are always looking for some support with the reporting tools. Once we click on the region, then automatically it goes to the two area maps. Based on the map, it will reinforce our data values. There is constant change involved and new updates and enhancements are coming out as needed in new versions.

The solution performs well and is stable.

The scalability is very good and use of the application is flexible.

We can create certain tickets, contact them and explain our requirements and they will look into the issue and help us to find a workaround for us to implement. They will address the issue in the next version.

We are very satisfied with their support.

We are implementers of this solution and maintain the visualization on the reporting parts, as well as fulfill the business requirements.

The solution is less expensive than other PowerBI tools, but more so than those of MSBI.

The solution is less expensive than other PowerBI tools, which is why most people go with it, although it does cost more than MSBI tools. It has good feasibility for fulfilling one's business needs. PowerBI is very strong in the market at the moment and we are creating visualization that works. It is a stable tool, as well.

What other advice do I have?

While PowerBI is cloud-based, it can be used both on-and-off-premises. MSBI can also be implemented on-premises. PowerBI mostly involves visualization.

I rate Microsoft BI as an eight out of ten.

SK
Partner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use, good scalability, and reliable

• "The solution is easy to use."
  • "There are some problems with the functionality of this solution. The dashboard is not very user friendly and is quite complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I have used the solution for analytics which is displayed on the dashboard for my client.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There are some problems with the functionality of this solution. The dashboard is not very user friendly and is quite complicated. They need to make it easier for developers because they could bring key components into the dashboard. I have found using scripting language in other competitor solutions easier.

Since I am new to using this solution I am not sure what should be in a future release. I probably do not need all of the features in this current version.

I have been using the solution for a couple of months.

The stability is good.

The solution is scalable. We have a couple of people using the solution in my organization.

I have used Qlik Sense in the past and it is more functional than this solution. I prefer Qlik Sense and I will most likely be switching soon.

The solution is easy to install and it does not take long.

I did the implementation.

As far as I am aware you do not need a license for the solution.

Comparing this solution to others such as Tableau and Microstrategy, this solution is probably better. However, I think overall Qlik Sense is best for me.

What other advice do I have?

I am not going to be using the solution in the future because I prefer Qlik Sense.

I rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

DB
MIS Specialist at a agriculture with 201-500 employees
It's easy to conduct analysis but needs more work to make it stable

What is our primary use case?

In our sector, we're dealing with lots of FinDocs and routine FinDoc activities. So all these things are managed locally, with data coming from some secondary source. By that, I mean our in-house technicians provide a data service that is locally developed on our end, and we analyze data in Microsoft Power BI. We have about 10 to 12 users working with it.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI is better than most solutions we have. It's pretty easy to conduct analysis with it.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft needs to do some more research and development to make it more stable.

We've been using Microsoft BI for about six months.

I think Microsoft…

What needs improvement?

We've been using Microsoft BI for about six months.

I think Microsoft BI is scalable.

We have some technical partners from Microsoft, so we contact them for any issues.

Installing Microsoft BI is fast and easy. We just downloaded it from Microsoft. That's it. It only takes about half an hour. It takes a little longer for the overall deployment, depending on the data volume. If we're getting the data from a secondary source, it depends upon both the source and volume. The greater the volume, the greater the time. Usually, we can manage to get it done in one or two hours plus the testing. It takes around four people to deploy and manage the solution.

We haven't thought much about licensing because we're still dealing with some administrative hang-ups. Once all these things are resolved, then we go for the license. It is in process.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI six out of 10. I would recommend it.

Monesh Sharma
Business Analyst at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
An easy and flexible BI solution, but the dashboard could be better

• "The Microsoft Power BI app is very good. It's also very flexible."
  • "The dashboard could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly for Qlik Sense. We're using business interests analytics. Everyone from marketing to sales uses it. Microsoft BI is usually used for oversight.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI is easy and but not very user-friendly. But you can directly connect it to an Excel file. You can find out how many sites to look at and do it yourself directly. The Microsoft Power BI app is very good. It's also very flexible.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard could be simplified. The service is currently good, but it could be better. If you compare it to Tableau and Qlik Sense, they are doing much better work. The ability of their dashboards is much better. The technical part is easy in Qlik Sense, where we can do some coding. It isn't easy in Power-BI.

Microsoft BI can be more user-friendly. Scalability is also a challenge for us because it's difficult to handle Power BI's dashboard.

I have been using Microsoft BI for the last four years.

Microsoft BI is a stable solution. We haven't had any issues yet.

It's not very scalable because it's difficult to manage the Microsoft BI dashboard.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is very easy.

Their price is good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to potential users. But if they have options, I would recommend one of the others.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft BI a six.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.