SK
Partner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use, good scalability, and reliable

• "The solution is easy to use."
  • "There are some problems with the functionality of this solution. The dashboard is not very user friendly and is quite complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I have used the solution for analytics which is displayed on the dashboard for my client.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There are some problems with the functionality of this solution. The dashboard is not very user friendly and is quite complicated. They need to make it easier for developers because they could bring key components into the dashboard. I have found using scripting language in other competitor solutions easier.

Since I am new to using this solution I am not sure what should be in a future release. I probably do not need all of the features in this current version.

I have been using the solution for a couple of months.

The stability is good.

The solution is scalable. We have a couple of people using the solution in my organization.

I have used Qlik Sense in the past and it is more functional than this solution. I prefer Qlik Sense and I will most likely be switching soon.

The solution is easy to install and it does not take long.

I did the implementation.

As far as I am aware you do not need a license for the solution.

Comparing this solution to others such as Tableau and Microstrategy, this solution is probably better. However, I think overall Qlik Sense is best for me.

What other advice do I have?

I am not going to be using the solution in the future because I prefer Qlik Sense.

I rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

Monesh Sharma
Business Analyst at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
An easy and flexible BI solution, but the dashboard could be better

• "The Microsoft Power BI app is very good. It's also very flexible."
  • "The dashboard could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly for Qlik Sense. We're using business interests analytics. Everyone from marketing to sales uses it. Microsoft BI is usually used for oversight.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI is easy and but not very user-friendly. But you can directly connect it to an Excel file. You can find out how many sites to look at and do it yourself directly. The Microsoft Power BI app is very good. It's also very flexible.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard could be simplified. The service is currently good, but it could be better. If you compare it to Tableau and Qlik Sense, they are doing much better work. The ability of their dashboards is much better. The technical part is easy in Qlik Sense, where we can do some coding. It isn't easy in Power-BI.

Microsoft BI can be more user-friendly. Scalability is also a challenge for us because it's difficult to handle Power BI's dashboard.

I have been using Microsoft BI for the last four years.

Microsoft BI is a stable solution. We haven't had any issues yet.

It's not very scalable because it's difficult to manage the Microsoft BI dashboard.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is very easy.

Their price is good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to potential users. But if they have options, I would recommend one of the others.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft BI a six.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BS
Engagement Professional at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
An intuitive business analytics service with tons of connections

• "The best feature for me is Power Query. I know that probably sounds strange, but you can't do too much with visuals and reports if the backend stuff is horribly dirty and just bad. But for me, that is absolutely fantastic. I can load the data and do the transformation and be able to load it in a useful way. There are tons of connections, which is absolutely fantastic as well. It's been fairly easy, and it's intuitive."
  • "It would be better if they had some video tutorials. Most people from an Excel background may struggle with measures in Microsoft BI."

What is our primary use case?

I have used Microsoft BI for sales analysis. I've also used it to analyze people. Pretty much across the board, whether it's the number of people, number of dresses, number of hamburgers, number of widgets and then creating the dashboards and the metrics and so forth.

What is most valuable?

The best feature for me is Power Query. I know that probably sounds strange, but you can't do too much with visuals and reports if the backend stuff is horribly dirty and just bad. But for me, that is absolutely fantastic. I can load the data and do the transformation and be able to load it in a useful way. There are tons of connections, which is absolutely fantastic as well. It's been fairly easy, and it's intuitive.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they had some video tutorials. Most people from an Excel background may struggle with measures in Microsoft BI.

I have used Microsoft BI over the last 12 months.

I haven't really had any issues, but I haven't given it the full whammy or the full monty. It's been stable for my use.

The initial setup was easy for me.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that there are many other tools out there, but I think it's a steep learning curve. For example, Alteryx and Domo, and Trifacta can be difficult to learn unless you have a SQL background. But if you're a Microsoft person, the transition is fairly easy for Microsoft BI. It's intuitive, and I would recommend it from that perspective.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft BI an eight.

CM
Technical Director, Information Management at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good reports, dashboards, and visualizations, but needs more report outputs and better documentation

• "Reports, dashboards, and visualizations are most valuable."
  • "It should have more report outputs. They should expand the report outputs. Its documentation should also be better."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for data visualization and analytics. We have its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided better and deeper analytics for our data. It has also been helpful for custom visualizations as per client requirements.

What is most valuable?

Reports, dashboards, and visualizations are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It should have more report outputs. They should expand the report outputs.

Its documentation should also be better.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is fairly stable.

It is scalable based on licensing. You would need premium and additional organizational licenses. Mostly everyone in the organization uses this feature. We have around 4,000 users of this solution in our organization, which includes a lot of project management people.

We don't have any plans to increase the usage in the future. We are currently content with its usage.

They exceed expectations and provide good quality support.

We had other solutions, but they were some form of ad hoc databases and spreadsheets. We switched to this solution for integrating various data sets from different data sources and for richer analytics.

It was straightforward. It took two weeks.

It was an in-house job. For its maintenance, we probably have a staff of about 20 people.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten. It is a really well-developed product, but it has some room for improvement.

Hybrid Cloud
Mahmoud Umar
Founder/CEO at Data.tac Nigeria Limited
Allows us to compile and transform data into visual representations

• "Microsoft BI allows us to connect to any database or any dataset."
  • "Compared to other applications, like Tableau, Microsoft BI doesn't have as many functions that allow you to do more in-depth analysis and represent the findings."

What is our primary use case?

We get a lot of chunks of data, especially production data and data based on education — performance-related data. We use BI to analyze the data so we can give feedback to our clients. If they're experiencing problems, we help them find trends, etc.

Within our organization, there are roughly six or seven people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI allows us to connect to any database or any dataset. It automatically renders some of the information which makes things a lot easier for us.

What needs improvement?

Compared to other applications, like Tableau, Microsoft BI doesn't have as many functions that allow you to do a more in-depth analysis and represent the findings. I think they have a standard that they keep to.

As the UI experience is always changing, the interface and security can always be improved.

I have been using this solution for roughly four years.

Stability is quite good. It's reliable.

We haven't had to expand because usually we just wait for the data. However, we do have plans to expand.

On a scale from one to five, I would give their technical support a rating of four.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

I believe we pay on a monthly basis. Compared to what's available on the market, I think we pay a fair price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Microsoft BI to others. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

OSCAR ACUNA
Innovation & Project Portfolio Management Practice Director at FACTUM
I would rate support for this solution as excellent

• "Our setup is very straight forward and can be done in a matter of hours."
  • "The upgrade process could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI on our portfolio management platform. We use live dashboards, in the public cloud.

What is most valuable?

We only use it for export and import, but that suits our purpose, along with the dashboards.

What needs improvement?

The upgrade process could be improved. Sometimes we miss information if we haven't kept up with the versions. It should be easy to migrate, but it does not provide enough information about what may be lost if you upgrade, especially if something goes wrong with the upgrade. Any current developments should be included in the upgrade so that it is a seamless process.

We have been using Microsoft BI for about 4 years. We use the latest version, and we have 4 users.

Very good. We don't have any issue regarding the stability of the solution.

The scalability is good.

You can find everything on their website. We rarely need to contact Microsoft directly, so I would rate Microsoft support for Microsoft BI as excellent.

Our setup is very straight forward and can be done in a matter of hours.

What other advice do I have?

You have to know what you want to accomplish, meaning that you have to know why you are using the solution, what kind of information you want to show in that solution and the location of the data. I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

Other
SS
Data Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Easy to deploy and use, but it should support integration with more systems

• "The user interface is easy to work with."
  • "More connections with other systems should be added, which would allow for other integrations."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and Microsoft BI is one of the tools that we implement for our clients. We do not use it ourselves.

My primary use case is integration, but it is also used for reporting and data analysis services.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft BI for between eight and nine months.

Microsoft BI is a stable product.

I do not have experience with technical support. In cases where I have found an issue, I Google it, spend time learning about the problem, and then resolve it.

I have also used Alteryx and Informatica. We still may use one of these other products, depending on our client's requirements. If the client wants us to work using a specific product then that is their choice.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment will take an hour, or an hour and a half.

We deployed this product ourselves. It is easy to work on.

What other advice do I have?

I primarily use Microsoft BI for integration, so it is difficult for me to say what needs to be improved. Overall, this is a good tool and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

DK
BI technical analyst at a government with 11-50 employees
Priced well, responsive technical support, but needs to be simplified

• "The scalability is good. We have 20 people in my organization using this solution and plan to increase usage."
  • "In an upcoming release, the solution could be simplified and have a more complete product package rather than a suite of products that we have to put together."

What is our primary use case?

This solution can be used for enterprise reporting, ad hoc visualization, and statistical analysis.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, the solution could be simplified and have a more complete product package rather than a suite of products that we have to put together.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

In my experience, I have found this solution scalable.

The technical support has been good and the responses have been fast.

I have used other business intelligence solutions previously and I switched because this solution was cheaper and is on a Microsft platform.

The initial setup is more complicated than other solutions. Microsoft typically has more involved installations.

I did the implementation myself. We have three administrators doing the deployment and maintains of the solution.

Power BI is cheaper for smaller groups when comparing to competitors. It requires a monthly per-user subscription.

I have evaluated Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.