SK
Partner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use, good scalability, and reliable

• "The solution is easy to use."
  • "There are some problems with the functionality of this solution. The dashboard is not very user friendly and is quite complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I have used the solution for analytics which is displayed on the dashboard for my client.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There are some problems with the functionality of this solution. The dashboard is not very user friendly and is quite complicated. They need to make it easier for developers because they could bring key components into the dashboard. I have found using scripting language in other competitor solutions easier.

Since I am new to using this solution I am not sure what should be in a future release. I probably do not need all of the features in this current version.

I have been using the solution for a couple of months.

The stability is good.

The solution is scalable. We have a couple of people using the solution in my organization.

I have used Qlik Sense in the past and it is more functional than this solution. I prefer Qlik Sense and I will most likely be switching soon.

The solution is easy to install and it does not take long.

I did the implementation.

As far as I am aware you do not need a license for the solution.

Comparing this solution to others such as Tableau and Microstrategy, this solution is probably better. However, I think overall Qlik Sense is best for me.

What other advice do I have?

I am not going to be using the solution in the future because I prefer Qlik Sense.

I rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

DB
MIS Specialist at a agriculture with 201-500 employees
It's easy to conduct analysis but needs more work to make it stable

What is our primary use case?

In our sector, we're dealing with lots of FinDocs and routine FinDoc activities. So all these things are managed locally, with data coming from some secondary source. By that, I mean our in-house technicians provide a data service that is locally developed on our end, and we analyze data in Microsoft Power BI. We have about 10 to 12 users working with it.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI is better than most solutions we have. It's pretty easy to conduct analysis with it.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft needs to do some more research and development to make it more stable.

We've been using Microsoft BI for about six months.

I think Microsoft…

What needs improvement?

We've been using Microsoft BI for about six months.

I think Microsoft BI is scalable.

We have some technical partners from Microsoft, so we contact them for any issues.

Installing Microsoft BI is fast and easy. We just downloaded it from Microsoft. That's it. It only takes about half an hour. It takes a little longer for the overall deployment, depending on the data volume. If we're getting the data from a secondary source, it depends upon both the source and volume. The greater the volume, the greater the time. Usually, we can manage to get it done in one or two hours plus the testing. It takes around four people to deploy and manage the solution.

We haven't thought much about licensing because we're still dealing with some administrative hang-ups. Once all these things are resolved, then we go for the license. It is in process.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI six out of 10. I would recommend it.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Monesh Sharma
Business Analyst at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
An easy and flexible BI solution, but the dashboard could be better

• "The Microsoft Power BI app is very good. It's also very flexible."
  • "The dashboard could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly for Qlik Sense. We're using business interests analytics. Everyone from marketing to sales uses it. Microsoft BI is usually used for oversight.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI is easy and but not very user-friendly. But you can directly connect it to an Excel file. You can find out how many sites to look at and do it yourself directly. The Microsoft Power BI app is very good. It's also very flexible.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard could be simplified. The service is currently good, but it could be better. If you compare it to Tableau and Qlik Sense, they are doing much better work. The ability of their dashboards is much better. The technical part is easy in Qlik Sense, where we can do some coding. It isn't easy in Power-BI.

Microsoft BI can be more user-friendly. Scalability is also a challenge for us because it's difficult to handle Power BI's dashboard.

I have been using Microsoft BI for the last four years.

Microsoft BI is a stable solution. We haven't had any issues yet.

It's not very scalable because it's difficult to manage the Microsoft BI dashboard.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is very easy.

Their price is good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to potential users. But if they have options, I would recommend one of the others.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft BI a six.

BS
Engagement Professional at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
An intuitive business analytics service with tons of connections

• "The best feature for me is Power Query. I know that probably sounds strange, but you can't do too much with visuals and reports if the backend stuff is horribly dirty and just bad. But for me, that is absolutely fantastic. I can load the data and do the transformation and be able to load it in a useful way. There are tons of connections, which is absolutely fantastic as well. It's been fairly easy, and it's intuitive."
  • "It would be better if they had some video tutorials. Most people from an Excel background may struggle with measures in Microsoft BI."

What is our primary use case?

I have used Microsoft BI for sales analysis. I've also used it to analyze people. Pretty much across the board, whether it's the number of people, number of dresses, number of hamburgers, number of widgets and then creating the dashboards and the metrics and so forth.

What is most valuable?

The best feature for me is Power Query. I know that probably sounds strange, but you can't do too much with visuals and reports if the backend stuff is horribly dirty and just bad. But for me, that is absolutely fantastic. I can load the data and do the transformation and be able to load it in a useful way. There are tons of connections, which is absolutely fantastic as well. It's been fairly easy, and it's intuitive.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they had some video tutorials. Most people from an Excel background may struggle with measures in Microsoft BI.

I have used Microsoft BI over the last 12 months.

I haven't really had any issues, but I haven't given it the full whammy or the full monty. It's been stable for my use.

The initial setup was easy for me.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that there are many other tools out there, but I think it's a steep learning curve. For example, Alteryx and Domo, and Trifacta can be difficult to learn unless you have a SQL background. But if you're a Microsoft person, the transition is fairly easy for Microsoft BI. It's intuitive, and I would recommend it from that perspective.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft BI an eight.

YS
Head-IT/SAP at Barista Coffee Company Ltd.
Beneficial report generation, effective report management, and scalable

• "The solution overall is very useful. The reports that are generated and the reporting functionality management are beneficial."
  • "We have used other solutions and the reporting functionality should be user-friendly and have a drag and drop feature should be available, but Microsoft BI doesn't have these features. When you are creating reports and you can't change as a user. Every time you need one developer or one technical person to make the changes."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft BI to generate point of sale reports.

What is most valuable?

The solution overall is very useful. The reports that are generated and the reporting functionality management are beneficial.

What needs improvement?

We have used other solutions and the reporting functionality should be user-friendly and have a drag and drop feature should be available, but Microsoft BI doesn't have these features. When you are creating reports and you can't change as a user. Every time you need one developer or one technical person to make the changes.

I have been using Microsoft BI for approximately six years.

Microsoft BI is highly stable.

The performance depends on the requirement. You have to complete your requirement which is a priority. After that, you understand your requirement and the performance could be better. The performance is the second.

I have found Microsoft BI to be scalable.

The installation difficulty depends on the integration, once integrated properly you can receive results. Microsoft BI can be very helpful to your business.

The implementation took us 15 to 20 days.

We use two Microsoft consultants to do the implementation of the solution.

I have evaluated other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI a five out of ten.

If I compare Microsoft BI with other solutions, other solutions are much better, but because we have already invested in Microsoft BI. We are using this and maybe in one or two years, we will use something else. We will finalize the testing of other solutions and implement one of them.

Greg Morley
Sales Director at Expeditus (Pty) Ltd
Dashboards are helpful, but it needs better metadata management for enterprise clients

• "Microsoft BI's dashboards are helpful."
  • "Power BI could have better metadata management. It's easy to use for a single person. However, it lacks an enterprise-grade metadata management system, which can be a problem if you're doing an enterprise deployment with multiple users."

What is our primary use case?

It depends on what the client needs. I've got multiple use cases for Power BI. There's no single one that stands out. But generally speaking, my clients primarily use Power BI for financial and sales reporting.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI's dashboards are helpful.

What needs improvement?

Power BI could have better metadata management. It's easy to use for a single person. However, it lacks an enterprise-grade metadata management system, which can be a problem if you're doing an enterprise deployment with multiple users. Microsoft could add some more features to its normal reporting capabilities.

I've been using Microsoft BI for about 18 months.

Microsoft BI is stable.

There are limitations and license restrictions. So if you're an enterprise that needs to increase the volume of data and users, you normally have to go to higher license models.

Microsoft BI is mostly easy to set up.

At the entry level, it's affordable, but as you scale up and have more needs, it becomes expensive because you get tied into the whole Microsoft stack.

I also work with MicroStrategy. Out of the two, I would recommend MicroStrategy. They have what they call the Semantic Graph and Enterprise-Grade Semantic Graph. I think the technology is fantastic. However, doing business with MicroStrategy is fairly difficult and complex because of all processes involved, but the technology is probably the best in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI seven out of 10.

CM
Technical Director, Information Management at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good reports, dashboards, and visualizations, but needs more report outputs and better documentation

• "Reports, dashboards, and visualizations are most valuable."
  • "It should have more report outputs. They should expand the report outputs. Its documentation should also be better."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for data visualization and analytics. We have its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided better and deeper analytics for our data. It has also been helpful for custom visualizations as per client requirements.

What is most valuable?

Reports, dashboards, and visualizations are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It should have more report outputs. They should expand the report outputs.

Its documentation should also be better.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is fairly stable.

It is scalable based on licensing. You would need premium and additional organizational licenses. Mostly everyone in the organization uses this feature. We have around 4,000 users of this solution in our organization, which includes a lot of project management people.

We don't have any plans to increase the usage in the future. We are currently content with its usage.

They exceed expectations and provide good quality support.

We had other solutions, but they were some form of ad hoc databases and spreadsheets. We switched to this solution for integrating various data sets from different data sources and for richer analytics.

It was straightforward. It took two weeks.

It was an in-house job. For its maintenance, we probably have a staff of about 20 people.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten. It is a really well-developed product, but it has some room for improvement.

Hybrid Cloud
Mahmoud Umar
Founder/CEO at Data.tac Nigeria Limited
Allows us to compile and transform data into visual representations

• "Microsoft BI allows us to connect to any database or any dataset."
  • "Compared to other applications, like Tableau, Microsoft BI doesn't have as many functions that allow you to do more in-depth analysis and represent the findings."

What is our primary use case?

We get a lot of chunks of data, especially production data and data based on education — performance-related data. We use BI to analyze the data so we can give feedback to our clients. If they're experiencing problems, we help them find trends, etc.

Within our organization, there are roughly six or seven people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI allows us to connect to any database or any dataset. It automatically renders some of the information which makes things a lot easier for us.

What needs improvement?

Compared to other applications, like Tableau, Microsoft BI doesn't have as many functions that allow you to do a more in-depth analysis and represent the findings. I think they have a standard that they keep to.

As the UI experience is always changing, the interface and security can always be improved.

I have been using this solution for roughly four years.

Stability is quite good. It's reliable.

We haven't had to expand because usually we just wait for the data. However, we do have plans to expand.

On a scale from one to five, I would give their technical support a rating of four.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

I believe we pay on a monthly basis. Compared to what's available on the market, I think we pay a fair price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Microsoft BI to others. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.