OSCAR ACUNA
Innovation & Project Portfolio Management Practice Director at FACTUM
I would rate support for this solution as excellent

• "Our setup is very straight forward and can be done in a matter of hours."
  • "The upgrade process could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI on our portfolio management platform. We use live dashboards, in the public cloud.

What is most valuable?

We only use it for export and import, but that suits our purpose, along with the dashboards.

What needs improvement?

The upgrade process could be improved. Sometimes we miss information if we haven't kept up with the versions. It should be easy to migrate, but it does not provide enough information about what may be lost if you upgrade, especially if something goes wrong with the upgrade. Any current developments should be included in the upgrade so that it is a seamless process.

We have been using Microsoft BI for about 4 years. We use the latest version, and we have 4 users.

Very good. We don't have any issue regarding the stability of the solution.

The scalability is good.

You can find everything on their website. We rarely need to contact Microsoft directly, so I would rate Microsoft support for Microsoft BI as excellent.

Our setup is very straight forward and can be done in a matter of hours.

What other advice do I have?

You have to know what you want to accomplish, meaning that you have to know why you are using the solution, what kind of information you want to show in that solution and the location of the data. I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

Other
SS
Data Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Easy to deploy and use, but it should support integration with more systems

• "The user interface is easy to work with."
  • "More connections with other systems should be added, which would allow for other integrations."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and Microsoft BI is one of the tools that we implement for our clients. We do not use it ourselves.

My primary use case is integration, but it is also used for reporting and data analysis services.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft BI for between eight and nine months.

Microsoft BI is a stable product.

I do not have experience with technical support. In cases where I have found an issue, I Google it, spend time learning about the problem, and then resolve it.

I have also used Alteryx and Informatica. We still may use one of these other products, depending on our client's requirements. If the client wants us to work using a specific product then that is their choice.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment will take an hour, or an hour and a half.

We deployed this product ourselves. It is easy to work on.

What other advice do I have?

I primarily use Microsoft BI for integration, so it is difficult for me to say what needs to be improved. Overall, this is a good tool and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VC
Sr. Solution Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and useful for generating BI reports

• "It seems stable. I haven't heard of any difficulties from my clients that utilize Power BI."
  • "Power BI could be improved by implementing more options for data integration. Nowadays, the cloud takes care of scalability and security. As we all know, data sources are increasing, so we get data from a variety of streams. But if we could get the downstream data into the database and update the reports more easily, Power BI would be better."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to generate BI reports.

What needs improvement?

Power BI could be improved by implementing more options for data integration. Nowadays, the cloud takes care of scalability and security. As we all know, data sources are increasing, so we get data from a variety of streams. But if we could get the downstream data into the database and update the reports more easily, Power BI would be better.

My company has been working with Power BI for five to ten years.

It seems stable. I haven't heard of any difficulties from my clients that utilize Power BI.

This solution is scalable.

I have never contacted technical support.

I didn't install this solution, our IT team took care of it.

Our in-house team took care of implementation. It should take a team of two to three to deploy and maintain Power BI.

I don't own the licenses — our clients do, and we work for them as engineering partners.

Tableau is another option.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Power BI, but it depends on one's business requirements. Tableau is another option, as well as a few other tools. My recommendation depends on business needs, budget, and the exact type of reports they need.

I would rate Power BI an eight out of ten.

DK
BI technical analyst at a government with 11-50 employees
Priced well, responsive technical support, but needs to be simplified

• "The scalability is good. We have 20 people in my organization using this solution and plan to increase usage."
  • "In an upcoming release, the solution could be simplified and have a more complete product package rather than a suite of products that we have to put together."

What is our primary use case?

This solution can be used for enterprise reporting, ad hoc visualization, and statistical analysis.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, the solution could be simplified and have a more complete product package rather than a suite of products that we have to put together.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

In my experience, I have found this solution scalable.

The technical support has been good and the responses have been fast.

I have used other business intelligence solutions previously and I switched because this solution was cheaper and is on a Microsft platform.

The initial setup is more complicated than other solutions. Microsoft typically has more involved installations.

I did the implementation myself. We have three administrators doing the deployment and maintains of the solution.

Power BI is cheaper for smaller groups when comparing to competitors. It requires a monthly per-user subscription.

I have evaluated Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

CW
Certification Division at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
Feature-rich, scalable, and is easy to install

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for official purposes and for my personal needs. I use it to sort my documents.

What is most valuable?

I have yet to experience all of the useful applications. I need to experience a lot more.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better, undisturbed stability without any interruptions.

I have been working with Microsoft products for three decades. I believe we are using Version 10.

Because our internet here is not constant, it fluctuates, which is why I don' use the cloud-based version. It is not stable. The stability could be improved.

Microsoft BI is…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better, undisturbed stability without any interruptions.

I have been working with Microsoft products for three decades.

I believe we are using Version 10.

It is not stable. The stability could be improved.

Microsoft BI is scalable.

We have more than 50 users in our organization. More of the users are technical people.

We have an IT technical expert in our organization. If we have any issues, he is the person who resolves them.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is very easy to install.

I completed the installation myself. I did not need the help of an integrator or consultant.

I am considering personalization but I don't know what the possibilities and the advantages of it are.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are considering it.

I would rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

CM
Project Business Analyst RPA at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Compatibility with different databases, complete tool, helpful technical support

• "The most useful features are the ability to connect different databases to Microsoft BI and explore them. Once the database information has been extracted, you have the ability to construct indicators and dashboards from the information."
  • "The solution could improve by simplifying the user interface and adding integration or compatibility with APA."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI primarily for analyzing data to construct indicators and dashboards. We use the information to better understand our business to make effective decisions about our business for the future, such as keeping competitive with other companies.

What is most valuable?

The most useful features are the ability to connect different databases to Microsoft BI and explore them. Once the database information has been extracted, you have the ability to construct indicators and dashboards from the information.

Microsoft BI is a complete tool, it has all the functions needed for its purpose.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by simplifying the user interface and adding integration or compatibility with APA.

I have been using Microsoft BI for many years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We are able to see the users and the capability from the cloud platform.

Microsoft provides good technical support.

The installation is easy. However, there are many options and areas to configure that can be difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend those wanting to use this solution to take some courses to at least learn the minimal knowledge to analyze and construct indicators. This is a very powerful tool and if you understand it you can get the most out of it.

I rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

TS
Manage Client Partner at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feature rich, functional dashboard, and plenty of charting visuals

• "I have found the best features to be the dashboard creation, graphs, charts, and presentation bar graphs."
  • "I have been doing trial and error to figuring out how to do the data analyzing and modeling. There could be some improvement to simplify it."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for data analytics.

What is most valuable?

I have found the best features to be the dashboard creation, graphs, charts, and presentation bar graphs. As for now, I am able to do a lot of operations but not with much proficiency. I am just getting started with it. I am not very good at doing dashboard creation or writing reports but sometimes I do it during office hours to understand and learn the analytical tools.

What needs improvement?

I have been doing trial and error to figuring out how to do the data analyzing and modeling. There could be some improvement to simplify it.

I have been using the solution for approximately one year.

I am only working with small datasets at the moment and the solution has been stable. I am not sure how it will be for larger datasets. We have approximately 50 people using the solution in my organization.

This solution came free, it was offered by Microsoft with our E3 license.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is a useful tool for the business and experts. It has plenty of features. I do not have a lot of advice because I am just starting to explore the solution but I have found it very helpful in terms of data presentation.

I rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

BY
Senior Data Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, quick report generating, and simple installation

• "Microsoft BI was very helpful for me because I had a huge variety of connections. It is very convenient to build reports, even if somebody has no experience using BI tools or data visualizations. Additionally, the performance is very good when generating reports."

What is our primary use case?

I used Microsoft BI to develop reports and then deployed them into Microsoft BI web.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Microsoft BI for approximately three months.

The stability of the solution has been good.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 100 people in my organization using the solution and they are mostly managers.

We used the solution on a daily basis, we were using it extensively.

I have used Tableau previously.

The initial setup was very easy to complete and it took approximately 30 minutes.

We did the implementation of the solution using two technicians.

The current licensing model that Microsoft BI has is expensive. My customers have told me the cost is approximately $20 per user and this can get expensive fast. There should be a one-time purchase option if the customer has a lot of users.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.