AmitKumar2
BI Analyst at eVision Industry Software
Easy to use, good self service functionality, facilitates collaboration with other users

• "If you are not very technical this tool could be very useful."
  • "Adding paginated reports to this tool could be of great help for users who want to move away from SSRS."

What is our primary use case?

Power BI is a great tool for analytics. It is useful if you have a requirement to create a dashboard with self-service capability, along with KPIs, and you want to drill down to the data details.

How has it helped my organization?

I have tried SSRS and later moved to Power BISSRS requires every analytical feature to be implemented separately. However, with the appropriate granularity of data, you can drill down and drill up easily which gives you a different view of the dashboards. Now with having on-premises availability, it makes this tool even more powerful.

What is most valuable?

If you are not very technical this tool could be very useful.

The most valuable features are:

• Self service
  • Inbuilt analytics
  • Custom visualization
  • Printing of dashboard helps a lot
  • Dashboard scheduling
  • Easy collaboration with other users on Power BI
  • Learning curve for this tool is small
  • Dashboard refresh rate can be configured
  • Power BI works both on-premises and cloud

What needs improvement?

I would like to see built-in Git support, incremental loading of data, and a machine learning model for predictive analysis.

Custom colouring from the dashboard itself would be helpful.

I have been using Microsoft BI, SSRS, and Power BI for four years.

Amol Jaiswal
Head of Offshore Operations & Solutions at Techcarrot
Quick reporting, high data conductivity, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for revenue forecasting and other predictive analytic reports based on specific requirements.

What is most valuable?

I have found the quick reporting and the conductivity with all the data sources valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some AI incorporated into this solution in the future.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The stability of this solution is great.

The scalability at first was not the greatest but it has turned out it can be very good.

The support has been good.

How

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some AI incorporated into this solution in the future.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The stability of this solution is great.

The support has been good.

I have found the installation straightforward compared to other competitors.

Having this solution on the could cloud allows for quick deployment. We could deliver the solution within four to eight weeks depending on the complexity.

There is a license for this solution and we purchase them annually.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IS
CEO at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can be easily integrated to any database and is flexible and user friendly

• "It's quite flexible, and it's easy to create reports using this system. It is very graphic and very user friendly."
  • "The smart phone application could be improved, along with better graphics and faster updating."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for management reporting.

What is most valuable?

It's quite flexible, and it's easy to create reports using this system. It is very graphic and very user friendly.

One of the advantages of Microsoft BI is that it's easy to integrate it with any databases.

Another is that it doesn't need a lot of technical support because it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The smart phone application could be improved, along with better graphics and faster updating.

I've been using it for 3 or 4 years.

It is a stable solution.

It is scalable.

It's easy to install. It requires that you prepare some databases for installing this product, but it doesn't take too much time to do it.

We used a consultant.

Microsoft BI is not expensive. Compared to the price of other BI products, the price is very fair.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Microsoft BI at ten.

KR
Strategic Market Development Sr. Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, flexible, but mobile application needs improvement

• "The solution is easy to use and flexible."
  • "The solution could improve the mobile application design. It is difficult to use compared to the desktop version."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution to monitor the dashboards that someone else has created.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and flexible.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve the mobile application design. It is difficult to use compared to the desktop version. Additionally, we have experienced a problem when attempting to update the desktop application. When we click to update we are unable to open the file to update.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

I have found the solution to be stable.

We have approximately 50 people using this solution in my organization.

I have previously used Microsoft Excel.

The installation was simple and it takes approximately five minutes.

I did the implementation of the solution.

We have a professional license for Microsoft BI and the price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Senior Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly, stable, and integrates well with other data sources

• "The interface is very easy to use."
  • "The on-premises version lacks some technical features that are available with the Cloud version."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our departmental reports, which are accessible from Microsoft Project Server and SharePoint.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft BI is very friendly.

The interface is very easy to use.

The integration with other data sources is very easy and very handy.

What needs improvement?

There is definitely room for improvement.

The visualization is lacking, it needs improvement.

I have been using Microsoft BI for one year.

Microsoft BI is a stable solution.

We have not contacted technical support.

Previously, we did not use another solution.

From a technical perspective, the installation is straightforward.

It took one week to deploy.

The deployment was done by the database team.

You only need one person to maintain this solution.

We did not evaluate other solutions before choosing Microsoft BI.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the cloud version of this solution.

I would rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

JorgeCastro1
Data Scientist at Packen SAS
Automation of real-time and batch analytics are fast and help us to better explain our data

• "This solution has improved our ability in making decisions and explaining data."
  • "We would like to have better SQL support for queries."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is real-time & batch analytics on Postgres databases in combination with MS Excel.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our ability in making decisions and explaining data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the automation of analysis and already prepared tools to do the analytic work rapidly.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have better SQL support for queries. It means to have a kind of development environment trying to correct bad sintax in SQL query, or having an intellisense like style for code completion being aware of table's fields and having a preview of the query response without needing to run the whole procedure.

We have been using Microsoft BI for two months.

Previously we used MS Excel but continue using it mainly for prototyping.

Power BI free layer is attractive and second stage with Power BI online is not expensive.

EtienneReynecke
Microsoft Dynamics Specialist at Strategix Business Solutions
Good reporting, and provides data insights that help to improve efficiency and profit

• "The feature I find most valuable is the ability to publish Power Bi reports, using an embedded link, directly onto a website."
  • "I would like to see Machine Learning for Power Bi Pro users or an intermediate license to enable Machine Learning if you don't have access to a Premium account."

What is our primary use case?

I have developed and deployed more than twenty separate customer solutions. I am a Business Intelligence Deployment Specialist. The most significant implementation was to reduce the Financial consolidation time for one hundred and twenty companies into one shareholder report, from thirty days to four minutes.

How has it helped my organization?

We help customers deploy and analyze sophisticated analytics models. These models have helped them all to get a better insight into their data and many of them have found very valuable insights that made them more profitable, more efficient, and in some cases changed the direction of the business.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the ability to publish Power Bi reports, using an embedded link, directly onto a website. Data that is not classified as confidential can very easily be exposed to customers, vendors, or even just visitors to the web site.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Machine Learning for Power Bi Pro users or an intermediate license to enable Machine Learning if you don't have access to a Premium account.

The minimum embedded capacity for Machine learning is currently an A3 capacity, and this should be reduced to include A1 level licenses.

I have been using this solution for three years.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Microsoft Gold Partner
JV
Part Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great technology and some very good features

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant for a big company. We deal with energy companies, petroleum, sales companies and we deal with everything from financials to operations. We deal with market strategy and we provide consultancy services - I'm a part owner of the company.

What is most valuable?

I like the CS, administration, most of the features are good as well as the technology.

What needs improvement?

I think creating dashboards could be easier. Compared to other solutions, the cost of the license is expensive and that could be improved.

I've been using this solution for over 20 years.

The stability is excellent.

What do I think about the scalability of the

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for over 20 years.

The stability is excellent.

The scalability is excellent, all our professional consultants use it. Where we deploy in the banking sector, they can have 1,000 licensed users; in smaller companies there can be 50 users.

Technical support is quite good, but I'd like to see a quicker response time.

Deployment time depends on the company, it can take up to two months.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.