SM
Associate Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Suitable for smaller businesses, scalable, but large data challenges

• "In my experience the scalability is good. You are able to increase users and add more data."
  • "When there are large amounts of data being processed there are additional tools needed to handle it."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft BI can be used for business data visualization.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, there could be an associative experience, such as in Qlik.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

The stability is good but as you add more data the stability decreases.

In my experience the scalability is good. You are able to increase users and add more data.

The initial setup can be easy if you have a small amount of data being used. I have found Qlik is better if you have large amounts of data.

We have a team of approximately 20 people that handle BI operations.

The solution is priced well for what they offer. However, the premium version is very expensive.

I have evaluated Tableau and Qlik.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to those that have smaller businesses where they have lower user numbers and not a lot of data points. If they have a larger business I would choose an alternative, such as Qlik.

I rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Matheus Nery
Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Reports creation easy, useful dashboards, and good online community support

• "The most valuable features are the easy creation of reports, dashboards, and the ability to perform analysis. It is important for us to create reports because we have some operations during certain hours and we can use this tool to track the information."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to create dashboards and reports for business analytics. We are in the early stages of testing and we have yet to determine if we are going to continue using the solution. We have to fully evaluate the solution first.

How has it helped my organization?

The use of the dashboards with analytics has helped our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the easy creation of reports, dashboards, and the ability to perform analysis. It is important for us to create reports because we have some operations during certain hours and we can use this tool to track the information. Additionally, it is a benefit they are adding more features all the time, such as machine learning.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

I never needed to use technical support. However, they have a good online community where I found documentation, a lot of general information, and tutorial videos on YouTube and Google.

The installation is simple.

The price for this solution is reasonable. However, there is an additional cost if you want to publish the dashboard privately.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
    554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    JS
    Consultant at a training & coaching company with 201-500 employees
    Flexible with good support but it could be more mobile friendly and the price could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI for analytics.

What is most valuable?

I like the flexibility it offers.

What needs improvement?

The graphic interface could be better. I would also like to see it mobile-friendly.

I have been using Microsoft BI for one year. We are using the latest version.

In some ways, it is stable.

It's a scalable solution. We have 10 or 15 users in our organization.

Technical support is good, and we are satisfied with it.

Before Microsoft BI, we used Tableau.

How was the

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI for analytics.

What is most valuable?

I like the flexibility it offers.

What needs improvement?

The graphic interface could be better.

I would also like to see it mobile-friendly.

I have been using Microsoft BI for one year.

We are using the latest version.

In some ways, it is stable.

It's a scalable solution. We have 10 or 15 users in our organization.

Technical support is good, and we are satisfied with it.

Before Microsoft BI, we used Tableau.

I was not involved with the installation but my understanding is that it was easy to install.

We have a team of two people to maintain this solution.

There are licensing fees.

It's an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I am not sure if we will continue to use this solution, it depends on the business requirements.

Depending on their business size and setup, I may recommend this solution.

I would rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

RJ
    Vice President & Head at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good support, seamless integration with Microsoft solutions, and perfect for Microsoft infrastructure

• "It gives you an edge if you are on the Microsoft platform. If you have been using Microsoft products for a long time or if you have the Microsoft infrastructure, this is the right tool for you. It has seamless integration with Microsoft SQL Server and other sources, and you get the best of the three things (SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS) in one suite."
    • "It should be more user-friendly and simple."

What is our primary use case?

My team uses it. They majorly used to work on SSRS and SSIS.

What is most valuable?

It gives you an edge if you are on the Microsoft platform. If you have been using Microsoft products for a long time or if you have the Microsoft infrastructure, this is the right tool for you. It has seamless integration with Microsoft SQL Server and other sources, and you get the best of the three things (SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS) in one suite.

What needs improvement?

It should be more user-friendly and simple.

I have been using this solution for almost five years.

Their technical support is good.

What other advice do I have?

Companies that are Microsoft shop do prefer using this solution, but non-Microsoft companies or customers generally go for solutions such as Tableau and Domo. Companies that want to go really cheap without any tool costs generally go for an open-source solution. In terms of reporting, data visualization tools such as Tableau and Domo are its competitors.

The pricing of all these tools will vary depending upon the licenses that you are using and the contract that you have, but from the ease-of-use perspective, Tableau is very easy to work with. A lot of work is being done on Tableau.

I would rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

AmitKumar2
    BI Analyst at eVision Industry Software
    Easy to use, good self service functionality, facilitates collaboration with other users

• "If you are not very technical this tool could be very useful."
    • "Adding paginated reports to this tool could be of great help for users who want to move away from SSRS."

What is our primary use case?

Power BI is a great tool for analytics. It is useful if you have a requirement to create a dashboard with self-service capability, along with KPIs, and you want to drill down to the data details.

How has it helped my organization?

I have tried SSRS and later moved to Power BISSRS requires every analytical feature to be implemented separately. However, with the appropriate granularity of data, you can drill down and drill up easily which gives you a different view of the dashboards. Now with having on-premises availability, it makes this tool even more powerful.

What is most valuable?

If you are not very technical this tool could be very useful.

The most valuable features are:

• Self service
    • Inbuilt analytics
    • Custom visualization
    • Printing of dashboard helps a lot
    • Dashboard scheduling
    • Easy collaboration with other users on Power BI
    • Learning curve for this tool is small
    • Dashboard refresh rate can be configured
    • Power BI works both on-premises and cloud

What needs improvement?

I would like to see built-in Git support, incremental loading of data, and a machine learning model for predictive analysis.

Custom colouring from the dashboard itself would be helpful.

I have been using Microsoft BI, SSRS, and Power BI for four years.

Amol Jaiswal
    Head of Offshore Operations & Solutions at Techcarrot
    Quick reporting, high data conductivity, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for revenue forecasting and other predictive analytic reports based on specific requirements.

What is most valuable?

I have found the quick reporting and the conductivity with all the data sources valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some AI incorporated into this solution in the future.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The stability of this solution is great.

The scalability at first was not the greatest but it has turned out it can be very good.

The support has been good.

How

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some AI incorporated into this solution in the future.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The stability of this solution is great.

The support has been good.

I have found the installation straightforward compared to other competitors.

Having this solution on the could cloud allows for quick deployment. We could deliver the solution within four to eight weeks depending on the complexity.

There is a license for this solution and we purchase them annually.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    IS
    CEO at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Can be easily integrated to any database and is flexible and user friendly

• "It's quite flexible, and it's easy to create reports using this system. It is very graphic and very user friendly."
    • "The smart phone application could be improved, along with better graphics and faster updating."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for management reporting.

What is most valuable?

It's quite flexible, and it's easy to create reports using this system. It is very graphic and very user friendly.

One of the advantages of Microsoft BI is that it's easy to integrate it with any databases.

Another is that it doesn't need a lot of technical support because it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The smart phone application could be improved, along with better graphics and faster updating.

I've been using it for 3 or 4 years.

It is a stable solution.

It is scalable.

It's easy to install. It requires that you prepare some databases for installing this product, but it doesn't take too much time to do it.

We used a consultant.

Microsoft BI is not expensive. Compared to the price of other BI products, the price is very fair.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Microsoft BI at ten.

KR
    Strategic Market Development Sr. Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
    Easy to use, flexible, but mobile application needs improvement

• "The solution is easy to use and flexible."
    • "The solution could improve the mobile application design. It is difficult to use compared to the desktop version."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution to monitor the dashboards that someone else has created.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and flexible.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve the mobile application design. It is difficult to use compared to the desktop version. Additionally, we have experienced a problem when attempting to update the desktop application. When we click to update we are unable to open the file to update.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

I have found the solution to be stable.

We have approximately 50 people using this solution in my organization.

I have previously used Microsoft Excel.

The installation was simple and it takes approximately five minutes.

I did the implementation of the solution.

We have a professional license for Microsoft BI and the price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.