PA
Research & Development Expert at a energy/utilities company with 11-50 employees
Good visualization and graphing functions, integrates with Python

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft BI for my own projects that are related to integrating with Excel datasets. I use the visualization and graphing functions, and I have tried using the Python integration.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is integration with Python.

What needs improvement?

The integration with third-party products could be more stable.

I have been using Microsoft BI for approximately one month.

Microsoft BI could be a little more stable.

We have approximately 10 users. I don't expect that we will expand our usage or continue using this product.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is integration with Python.

What needs improvement?

The integration with third-party products could be more stable.

I have been using Microsoft BI for approximately one month.

Microsoft BI could be a little more stable.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

There is no complexity in the initial setup. It takes approximately 15 minutes to deploy.

There are twenty people in the team that handles the deployment and maintenance of our solutions.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

RD
Owner at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Powerful visualizations, easy to use, and integrates well with Microsoft products

What is most valuable?

It integrates better with other Microsoft products. It is very easy to use and has very powerful visualizations. It has also got a lot of development going on.

What needs improvement?

It should have more integrations.

I have been using this solution for probably two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. I have a few large customers of this solution.

I don't have any experience with their support.

I also use Tableau. Tableau and Power BI are similar in terms of capability.

How was the initial

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It should have more integrations.

I have been using this solution for probably two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. I have a few large customers of this solution.

I don't have any experience with their support.

I also use Tableau. Tableau and Power BI are similar in terms of capability.

It was easy. It was done in minutes.

I can do it on my own. You would require external consultants or in-house experts.

Licensing is on a monthly basis, but I am not sure.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TS
Senior Manager Analytic & Insights at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, easy to scale, good reporting, and good support

What is most valuable?

The visualization and reporting are the most valuable features of this solution. It is quite flexible for reporting purposes.

What needs improvement?

This solution is resource-heavy. I would like to see it consume fewer resources. When I use it on my laptop, it consumes a lot of resources.

I have used this solution within the last 12 months. We are using the latest version.

It can scale easily. We have more than 50 people who are using this solution in my company. Across the company, most are in marketing and finance.

I would rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

Which solution did I use

What is most valuable?

It is quite flexible for reporting purposes.

What needs improvement?

I have used this solution within the last 12 months.

We are using the latest version.

It can scale easily.

I would rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

We use Oracle BI and Oracle OBIEE.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

It would be better if the price was cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution and suggest they use it.

Private Cloud
RH
Head of Internal Control at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Intuitive design, good support, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft BI for various reports, such as overall cost management, credit overview, and sales.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very intuitive, you do not need to have too much programming knowledge to use it. Advanced Excel users can use it very easily.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing more free visuals. A lot of them are very nice but you have to purchase them.

I have been using Microsoft BI for approximately four years.

The solution has been stable. Everything has been running smoothly.

Microsoft BI is scalable.

How are customer service

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft BI for approximately four years.

The solution has been stable. Everything has been running smoothly.

Microsoft BI is scalable.

The support has been good.

We previously used Cognos.

We used a consultant for the implementation of the solution.

The solution is affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
WV
Project Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
A stable solution with a great dashboard

What is our primary use case?

Around 50% of our customers use this solution. We plan to extend our usage of this solution.

What is most valuable?

Our customers really like the dashboard. They can click on whatever they want for an in-depth view. Microsoft BI is very easy to set up and use.

What needs improvement?

In general, all the Microsoft programs are integrated quite well, but it could be improved. Also, integration with products that are not Microsoft could be more improved.

I have been using Microsoft BI on and off for the past two years.

If implemented correctly, Microsoft BI is quite stable.

It's quite scalable.…

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft BI on and off for the past two years.

If implemented correctly, Microsoft BI is quite stable.

It's quite scalable.

I have never contacted customer support.

I don't know much about the licensing because our customers pay for it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft BI a rating of nine.

EG
Responsable Industrie 4.0 at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use for a non-IT person and good for data modeling and working with a large amount of data

• "I like data modeling. You can connect with your database, which is quite useful for me. It is a good tool if you have a large amount of data and you want to gather different data and interconnect it. The Power Query functionality is quite an interesting feature. If you have a query in Excel, you can also copy your query and run it in Power BI. Its dashboard is also very nice and not complicated. You don't need to be a developer to be able to use it. I am not an IT guy, and it is quite easy to use for somebody who is not an IT person."
  • "It is not the right tool to do deeper analysis or predictions. When you have some data and you want to do some deep analysis, there is no feature to help you with this."

What is most valuable?

I like data modeling. You can connect with your database, which is quite useful for me. It is a good tool if you have a large amount of data and you want to gather different data and interconnect it.

The Power Query functionality is quite an interesting feature. If you have a query in Excel, you can also copy your query and run it in Power BI.

What needs improvement?

It is not the right tool to do deeper analysis or predictions. When you have some data and you want to do some deep analysis, there is no feature to help you with this.

I have been using this solution for one year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

Carlos Mardinotto Junior
BI Expert at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fast and user friendly

What is our primary use case?

I've used it for work I did with three clients in the Brazilian banking sector:  Bank Bradesco, B&B Bank, and the Regional Bank of Brazil.

What is most valuable?

It's very fast and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft is behind IBM when it comes to security features.

I've used Microsoft Power BI for about three years with different clients.

You don't need much support with Microsoft Power BI because it has such a large base of users who can answer your questions on their forums. There are also many video tutorials and webinars available online that offer solutions to whatever problems you may have.

Which solution did I use previously and why

What is our primary use case?

I've used it for work I did with three clients in the Brazilian banking sector:
Bank Bradesco, B&B Bank, and the Regional Bank of Brazil.

What is most valuable?

It's very fast and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft is behind IBM when it comes to security features.

I've used Microsoft Power BI for about three years with different clients.

I use Cognos Analytics 11 for some projects, but many of my clients prefer Microsoft Power BI because it is less expensive.

Diógenes Eloi
Consultor at PwC Brasil
Integrates data onto dashboards to help managers make better decisions

• "PowerBi is used to import our production data and generate dashboards, then integrates other Excel sheets to provide managers dashboards. This helps them get insights to make better OEE improvement decisions, mainly where to focus resources. We became able to see indicators from any time frame (day, week, month, or year), then could make better decisions."
  • "Real-time updating needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Daily updated production indicators dashboard: We get production data (Number of pieces, downtime, and downtime reasons) from the shopfloor and input them on an Excel sheet.

How has it helped my organization?

PowerBi is used to import our production data and generate dashboards, then integrates other Excel sheets to provide managers dashboards. This helps them get insights to make better OEE improvement decisions, mainly where to focus resources. We became able to see indicators from any time frame (day, week, month, or year), then could make better decisions.

With this solution, we were able to know which problems were critical and chronic. Once we used Power BI for production management, we realized that we could also use it for quality assurance, finance, and others types of management.

What is most valuable?

Interactive graphs are its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Real-time updating needs improvement.

Two years.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.