AE
Junior Data Scientist at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good transforming of data for visualization, useful, stable, and scalable

• "It is quite easy to use and it helps me to achieve the projects that I've been assigned."
  • "I feel the modeling page should be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI typically to clean up data in Excel, as well as to create reports for my supervisor that will be analyzed and then used to draw conclusions.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides the common ground for data to be cleaned. We use this for everyone to work on cleaning up data in order to use it for visualizations, which has been helpful.

What is most valuable?

The transforming data before you start with the visualization comes in pretty handy.

I have never had the inability to perform the tasks I've been assigned with the software.

It's very useful because you can create helpful reports, which assist you to analyze data in a very organized way.

What needs improvement?

I feel the modeling page should be simplified. The links between different parts of your data, on the models' page, are a bit confusing. It was difficult for me to learn.

I have been using Microsoft BI for three months.

We are using an older version specific to the organization.

Microsoft BI is a stable product.

Microsoft BI is quite scalable, especially with the number of coding languages that are available to use.

We have approximately 23 data scientists in our organization who are using this solution. We use it extensively.

We are mostly using Microsoft BI but we are trying to bring in Tableau and maximize the potential of both.

I have not contacted technical support.

I also have experience with Tableau.

When I arrived, this solution was already set up.

What other advice do I have?

For others who want to start using Microsoft BI, I would say go through some tutorials on your own first and then try and practice with practice data sets that are available online. Also, feel free to play around with the different tools, and the different visualizations, because you can use them differently for different things.

I would rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

RB
Lead Statistical Analyst | Innovation Champion at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Has good drag and drop interactability visualization but it's a bit complicated to make it refresh automatically

• "We like the drag and drop interactability visualization. We really like that. It's user-friendly."
  • "If I have to update data automatically, where I have to pin the gateway, it doesn't update. There is a scheduled refresh functionality so that it refreshes automatically, but I find it very hard to make it work."

What is our primary use case?

We have SharePoint in our company and then we just wanted to visualize that list and it connects to the Check Point list.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

If I have to update data automatically, where I have to pin the gateway, it doesn't update. There is a scheduled refresh functionality so that it refreshes automatically, but I find it very hard to make it work. Even though it's supposed to connect seamlessly, it's a bit complicated to make it refresh automatically.

My company has been using Microsoft BI for a few years but I've been using it since January 2020.

It's very stable.

I think it's very scalable. I don't even foresee that as a challenge.

We have five or six users who view the reports. There are other departments who might be using it as well but we have five or six in my department. It's expected to rise to 15, 20.

The users are managers who want to look at some of the resources.

I haven't interacted with Power BI before. If I get stuck at someplace, I just go online and I search in the forums and I find my way.

There isn't really a setup involved. It's just download Power BI desktop and publish it.

We have a premium Power BI license in-house that's quite an expensive license. It's $10 a month for four users and then I think 35,000 at the premium rate.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure that you use Sharepoint. If you are within the Microsoft system and want to have a similar experience to Microsoft Teams, then Microsoft Power BI is a very good solution for that.

I would like to have the ability to run the scheduled refresh for R and Python on the server. Right now, it's not possible.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MF
PMO at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Highly performance, easy to use, but needs more data flexibility

• "What I have found valuable about Microsoft BI is its performance and ease of use. The interface is very simple and it is accessible to everyone. If someone is new to this type of solution it is straightforward to understand."
  • "In the future, Microsoft BI can be better by increasing user-friendliness"

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft BI for the reports and our displaying the data in different ways. As a project manager, I need to follow the budget and receive confirmation about our projects. We have an SAP database and we follow and check all the budget data of the project including data usage.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more options to manipulate the views of the data on the dashboards. I sometimes need to make them myself but there should be more customizable with drag-and-drop elements and filters on that data differently than it was designed. There are filters in the design stage but there are times you need something else other than how it was designed. For example, if you did not have some of the information at the time of the design. Having the ability to design, or request the data from the database as an end-user is very important. It would be beneficial to have more autonomy on the design of the requested data. You are not able to change the fields or the request data because it was done in the backend and you are not able to see how that request happened. Sometimes you need to make your own requests or have different requests regarding the data. We do not have access because we are not administrators.

In the future, Microsoft BI can be better by increasing user-friendliness.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

I have found it to be scalable.

We have approximately 1,000 people using the solution in my organization.

I have previously used QlikView and Qlik Sense.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

RD
Senior Manager.Marketing Strategy & Analysis. at a marketing services firm with 10,001+ employees
Integrates well, secure, but cannot handle large databases

• "The solution integrates with other Microsoft solutions very well."
  • "If you are having millions of rows of data or you have a large database, Microsoft BI's performance depends upon how powerful your hardware is. When I am handling large amounts of data I do not use Microsoft BI or Tableau because of this, I use D3."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for analytic dashboards.

What is most valuable?

The solution integrates with other Microsoft solutions very well.

When it comes to security Microsoft BI can integrate well with Microsoft Domain Services, you are able to make it as secure as you want.

There are useful visualizations available in the dashboards.

What needs improvement?

If you are having millions of rows of data or you have a large database, Microsoft BI's performance depends upon how powerful your hardware is. When I am handling large amounts of data I do not use Microsoft BI or Tableau because of this, I use D3.

In a future release, they need to have better integration to allow any visualization that is done in other solutions, such as D3 or Tableau, to be able to be imported in Microsoft BI easily.

I have been using Microsoft BI for approximately five years.

The solution is stable when the database is reasonably sized. If you have large databases of 20 million rows it can begin to have difficulties requiring a purchase of more hardware.

The scalability is good. If you have a direct query, Microsoft BI can run on billions of rows of data.

Microsoft BI is available to the 70,000 users in my organization.

This solution is used extensively because everyone has access to it, not because it is the best.

The support from Microsoft could improve.

The solution is easy to install.

We did the implementation of the solution.

For those customers we have that use Microsoft BI on a dedicated server, we have a technical team that does the maintenance.

I have evaluated Tableau and D3.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Microsoft BI over Tableau if you are comfortable with Microsoft solutions. Additionally, understand your use case and choose the best solution that fits your needs.

I rate Microsoft BI a six out of ten.

AN
Senior Manager: ICT Compliance at DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICE AND ADMINISTRATION
Relatively new, stable, and scalable

• "It's a pretty scalable product."
  • "The product could have better analytics capabilities."

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

It's a pretty scalable product.

Overall it's a good product. It is still rather new, therefore, for now, it's still a learning curve as we get used to all of the features and capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The charting tool could be improved.

The product could have better analytics capabilities.

The initial setup is not straightforward.

I've been using the solution for five months.

The solution is quite stable. I'd call it reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze and I can't recall bugs or glitches happening.

The solution is scalable. If your organization needs to expand it, it shouldn't be a problem to do so.

We have about five people on the solution, however, we don't have it fully functioning just yet.

I did not use a different solution previously before the implementation of this product. This is the first solution we've used for these purposes.

The initial setup is pretty complex. It's not straightforward or simple. You need to be a bit of an expert in order to handle it, and I am, unfortunately, not an expert. If you had more experience with it, you might find it easier than I did.

I was not involved in the pricing or procurement process of the solution. I'm not sure how licensing works of the overall cost of the solution on a monthly or yearly basis. It's not part of my day-to-day.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. It may be the latest.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight. We've been pretty happy with it, even though it is quite new to us.

LL
Head of Product at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Stable, easy to set up and scalable

• "The initial setup is easy."
  • "The solution doesn't integrate well with third-party tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use that solution to provide all the KPIs for the software development to manage the business, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very helpful for managing the business.

The initial setup is easy.

We have found the scalability to be quite good.

Stability is excellent overall.

Technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

For managing the business, it's okay, however, as a product management tool, it's lacking. I would like to use BI to provide services for the customers eventually. Microsoft's solution is not good for improving the product for the customers. It's just good for managing the business, and not supporting the customers.

The solution doesn't integrate well with third-party tools.

I'd like them to add to the knowledge base, or at least to offer more documentation about how to use the solution.

It would be helpful if more AI was integrated into the solution.

I['ve used the solution since 2013.

I find the product to be quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the product is quite good. If a company needs to expand it, it can.

We get technical support from a third party, however, they offer very good support and we have been quite happy with their level of service. They always have enough staff.

The implementation process is straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

Deployment took less than a month.

I'm also aware of Power BI, which has better integration with third-party tools.

What other advice do I have?

We do not sell Microsoft products. We just use them.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

We use both cloud and on-premises deployments.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'd recommend the solution to others as the management portion of the solution is very easy.

AB
Data Science Leader at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Can be used to plan, communicate, and visualize knowledge extracted from data

• "The best feature of this solution is the way you can plan, communicate, and visualize all the knowledge you extract from the data for the customers. I like the way you can show or visualize the information a client needs to answer a business question."
  • "I think that the solution is harder to use for people who are not experts in data."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for BI analytics. I am a data scientist, so I model data and show the data through dashboards using this tool.

What is most valuable?

I think that the best feature of this solution is the way you can plan, communicate, and visualize all the knowledge you extract from the data for the customers. I like the way you can show or visualize the information a client needs to answer a business question.

What needs improvement?

I think that they can make the solution easy to use for people who are not experts in data because many clients try to use it, but they need to be prepared before using it.

Also, now we have another solution on the market that is more easy to use for those who are not trained in these kinds of tools.

I have been using Microsoft BI for more than five years.

I think the stability is good. I haven't had any problems yet with Power BI.

My experience with technical support has been good.

For me, the initial setup was easy, but I have been working for more than 20 years in data analytics. However, sometimes for end-users it's not as easy as another tool on the market.

A dashboard can be made in 30 minutes or two days, depending on the client, the information, and the quality of the data. I am also a teacher, so for my classes I can create a low plan dashboard in 30 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I used to recommend Microsoft BI, but the only issue is that you would need to know data analytics before using it. So it is not easy to use if you're not an expert. However, it is a good tool, and I think it's a good solution for many business problems.

Also, I would rate Microsoft BI at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Dawn McClure
IT Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Not user-friendly and the support could be better, but the real-time reporting is good

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is real-time report tracking."
  • "It's not user-friendly; more tutorials, training, and better documentation would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for dashboards and reporting.

We work in manufacturing and we track any incidents that we have regarding safety.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is real-time report tracking. For example, we have a report for a human body and the human body is populated with injury data. In real-time, we can see where most of the injuries have occurred.

What needs improvement?

It is a difficult tool to use and it's hard to figure it out.

It's not user-friendly; more tutorials, training, and better documentation would be helpful.

I have been using Microsoft BI for three months.

We are running the latest version.

I don't have any issues with the stability of Microsoft BI. It's a stable solution.

It's mainly used by developers. We have 10 to 20 developers who are using this solution in our organization.

Technical support could be improved. If you are able to get someone it's great, but if you don't then you are left hanging.

Previously, they were using BusinessObjects.

With the EA agreement, we get access to everything from Microsoft. It just made sense to switch.

The initial setup was completed through our internal Microsoft team.

Licensing costs are on an annual basis. There are no fees in addition to the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in using this solution, they should hire a dedicated Microsoft team to implement it, and get a lot of training.

I don't know it well but I would rate it a five out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.