AN
Senior Manager: ICT Compliance at DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICE AND ADMINISTRATION
Relatively new, stable, and scalable

• "It's a pretty scalable product."
  • "The product could have better analytics capabilities."

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

It's a pretty scalable product.

Overall it's a good product. It is still rather new, therefore, for now, it's still a learning curve as we get used to all of the features and capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The charting tool could be improved.

The product could have better analytics capabilities.

The initial setup is not straightforward.

I've been using the solution for five months.

The solution is quite stable. I'd call it reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze and I can't recall bugs or glitches happening.

The solution is scalable. If your organization needs to expand it, it shouldn't be a problem to do so.

We have about five people on the solution, however, we don't have it fully functioning just yet.

I did not use a different solution previously before the implementation of this product. This is the first solution we've used for these purposes.

The initial setup is pretty complex. It's not straightforward or simple. You need to be a bit of an expert in order to handle it, and I am, unfortunately, not an expert. If you had more experience with it, you might find it easier than I did.

I was not involved in the pricing or procurement process of the solution. I'm not sure how licensing works of the overall cost of the solution on a monthly or yearly basis. It's not part of my day-to-day.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. It may be the latest.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight. We've been pretty happy with it, even though it is quite new to us.

AB
Data Science Leader at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Can be used to plan, communicate, and visualize knowledge extracted from data

• "The best feature of this solution is the way you can plan, communicate, and visualize all the knowledge you extract from the data for the customers. I like the way you can show or visualize the information a client needs to answer a business question."
  • "I think that the solution is harder to use for people who are not experts in data."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for BI analytics. I am a data scientist, so I model data and show the data through dashboards using this tool.

What is most valuable?

I think that the best feature of this solution is the way you can plan, communicate, and visualize all the knowledge you extract from the data for the customers. I like the way you can show or visualize the information a client needs to answer a business question.

What needs improvement?

I think that they can make the solution easy to use for people who are not experts in data because many clients try to use it, but they need to be prepared before using it.

Also, now we have another solution on the market that is more easy to use for those who are not trained in these kinds of tools.

I have been using Microsoft BI for more than five years.

I think the stability is good. I haven't had any problems yet with Power BI.

My experience with technical support has been good.

For me, the initial setup was easy, but I have been working for more than 20 years in data analytics. However, sometimes for end-users it's not as easy as another tool on the market.

A dashboard can be made in 30 minutes or two days, depending on the client, the information, and the quality of the data. I am also a teacher, so for my classes I can create a low plan dashboard in 30 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I used to recommend Microsoft BI, but the only issue is that you would need to know data analytics before using it. So it is not easy to use if you're not an expert. However, it is a good tool, and I think it's a good solution for many business problems.

Also, I would rate Microsoft BI at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dawn McClure
IT Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Not user-friendly and the support could be better, but the real-time reporting is good

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is real-time report tracking."
  • "It's not user-friendly; more tutorials, training, and better documentation would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for dashboards and reporting.

We work in manufacturing and we track any incidents that we have regarding safety.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is real-time report tracking. For example, we have a report for a human body and the human body is populated with injury data. In real-time, we can see where most of the injuries have occurred.

What needs improvement?

It is a difficult tool to use and it's hard to figure it out.

It's not user-friendly; more tutorials, training, and better documentation would be helpful.

I have been using Microsoft BI for three months.

We are running the latest version.

I don't have any issues with the stability of Microsoft BI. It's a stable solution.

It's mainly used by developers. We have 10 to 20 developers who are using this solution in our organization.

Technical support could be improved. If you are able to get someone it's great, but if you don't then you are left hanging.

Previously, they were using BusinessObjects.

With the EA agreement, we get access to everything from Microsoft. It just made sense to switch.

The initial setup was completed through our internal Microsoft team.

Licensing costs are on an annual basis. There are no fees in addition to the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in using this solution, they should hire a dedicated Microsoft team to implement it, and get a lot of training.

I don't know it well but I would rate it a five out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
SK
Project Manager at GlaxoSmithKline
Very good toggling feature; unfortunately some performance issues and inability to aggregate

• "The solution has a good toggling feature."
  • "Lacks the ability to copy data from BI into PowerPoint."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a project manager and we are customers of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

I like the toggling feature, the ability to switch from one page to another.

What needs improvement?

I have a couple of dashboards that are weekly and monthly. I was able to download the dashboard, but I cannot paste any images into PowerPoint. There are also visuals based on the brand that should automatically pop up in the graph and which should be a toggling option. And I'm having performance issues if I want to add two or three tables at a time, which I could easily do in Tableau. Copy-pasting data to PowerPoint for presentation to the executive level should be easy but we're only able to copy the visual, not the underlying data.

I've been using this solution for the past eight months.

The solution is scalable but we haven't yet migrated everyone to Power BI. Our users are not finding Power BI as good as Pique, which perhaps they're just more used to. They're trying but some of the features available in Pique are not there so they are not comprehensively using it. It's being used mainly for internal analysis for now.

We initially used Tableau because our data was an internal data source, and now all of our data is migrated to tool environments, that the Power BI is more comfortable with. BI is also a free product which is another reason the company recommends it.

The initial setup was straightforward, we have a Power BI admin team who take care of all that.

What other advice do I have?

Because of performance issues and because we're unable to do all the aggregation, I rate this solution six out of 10.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Enrique Pacheco
Managing Director at IDMdev Tech Solutions®
It is stable and provides a quick view of the most important indicators, but its setup and support should be better

• "The use of graphics to show and view the data indicators is the most valuable feature. It is also very stable."
  • "Its setup and support should be improved. We would like to see more material for developers that provides clear explanations about how we can do data mining by using Microsoft BI. It would also be good if we can connect a feature to other customized machine learning solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We have integrated this solution into the software that we created for a client specifically for reports and data consumption. It is a hybrid infrastructure project with hybrid integration. It has a lot of reports executed or created from the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to have a really quick view of the most important indicators of the operational issues of our platform. It has enabled collaboration between different operational levels in the company.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its setup and support should be improved. We would like to see more material for developers that provides clear explanations about how we can do data mining by using Microsoft BI. It would also be good if we can connect a feature to other customized machine learning solutions.

It has good stability.

We haven't used it a lot, but it seems good so far. We have only three users. We may include two or three more users to the platform.

Their technical support is bad. I didn't like the technical support of Microsoft.

We also use Oracle and Tableau.

The initial setup was not complex, but we would like a more agile process. The initial deployment took about two months. The platform that we created was very robust.

We are a reseller of the solution. We did the deployment.

We were thinking of integrating Tableau instead of Microsoft BI, but the client chose Microsoft BI.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Marian Petkov
Team Leader at Eurobank EFG Bulgaria AD
An intelligent and intuitive data visualization and analytics tool

• "It's similar to Excel, but it's much more powerful than Excel."
  • "I cannot comment on the stability as we haven't yet used it for a big project."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI for the visualization of data. We also hope to use it for machine learning as it's very powerful, but at the moment, we are trying to get authorized for reporting and analysis.

What is most valuable?

It's similar to Excel, but it's much more powerful than Excel. I love the unlimited number of rows that can be processed, the grant server application, and the strong security.

It produces a very nice picture — very nice graph managers that are very attractive.

The way you prepare your reports is very intelligent and intuitive.

It's very easy to operate and the dashboard is great.

I have been using this solution for a few months now.

Microsoft BI is stable, but I cannot comment on the stability as we haven't yet used it for a big project.

The customer support is excellent. We get perfect support and it is regional — not only in our country, but there is also regional representation from Microsoft's so-called architects; they are very good professionals who help us with whatever we require.

Currently, we are in process of implementing this solution on my computer. I installed the Microsoft Power BI desktop application very easily and started my training. I didn't experience any difficulties.

I collected information from several sources and it's been working well — I am happy with this software.

I needed about 15 minutes to install the desktop application. The other portion is web-based, so I haven't gotten to that yet.

Microsoft BI is not very cheap. A premium license costs roughly 5,000 euros a month.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to other interested companies.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft BI a rating of eight.

MB
Power BI Technical Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Useful for collaboration and insightful data visualizations, highly scalable, and easy to deploy

• "We are able to collaborate on things and get insightful data visualizations."
  • "Its performance and stability can be improved. It takes time to load, and sometimes, it also breaks down for the whole region. Its usability could also be better, and it could also have more connections with different data sources."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for reporting ERP data, IT service data, financial data, and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been helpful in getting insights. We weren't able to get insights at such a level. It is also helpful in getting an overview of different departments. We are able to do it much faster than before.

What is most valuable?

We are able to collaborate on things and get insightful data visualizations.

What needs improvement?

Its performance and stability can be improved. It takes time to load, and sometimes, it also breaks down for the whole region.

Its usability could also be better, and it could also have more connections with different data sources.

I have been using this solution for two years. In this company, I have been using it for two months.

It is not completely stable. Sometimes, it goes off for the whole North Europe region. Its stability should be improved.

It is scalable, and there are no issues with its scalability. I would rate it a ten out of ten in terms of scalability. We have around 300 users of this solution.

We don't have any issues with their technical support.

I have worked only with Power BI.

It is easy because documentation and a lot of tutorials are available. Its deployment took one month.

Power BI premium is really expensive for our market. A lot of small and medium companies would like to purchase it, but they can't afford it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Power BI an eight out of ten.

AK
OBIEE/ODI senior consultant at Kastech
A stable and scalable solution with good tech support

• "The visualization part and its inclusion in a cloud-based application are valuable features."
  • "The solution is somewhat costly in comparison with MSBI tools."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution is somewhat costly in comparison with MSBI tools.

In MSBI, when it comes to mobile and maps-related applications, we are always looking for some support with the reporting tools. Once we click on the region, then automatically it goes to the two area maps. Based on the map, it will reinforce our data values. There is constant change involved and new updates and enhancements are coming out as needed in new versions.

The solution performs well and is stable.

The scalability is very good and use of the application is flexible.

We can create certain tickets, contact them and explain our requirements and they will look into the issue and help us to find a workaround for us to implement. They will address the issue in the next version.

We are very satisfied with their support.

We are implementers of this solution and maintain the visualization on the reporting parts, as well as fulfill the business requirements.

The solution is less expensive than other PowerBI tools, but more so than those of MSBI.

The solution is less expensive than other PowerBI tools, which is why most people go with it, although it does cost more than MSBI tools. It has good feasibility for fulfilling one's business needs. PowerBI is very strong in the market at the moment and we are creating visualization that works. It is a stable tool, as well.

What other advice do I have?

While PowerBI is cloud-based, it can be used both on-and-off-premises. MSBI can also be implemented on-premises. PowerBI mostly involves visualization.

I rate Microsoft BI as an eight out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.