Microsoft BitLocker Overview

Microsoft BitLocker is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Endpoint Encryption tools. It is most often compared to Symantec Endpoint Encryption: Microsoft BitLocker vs Symantec Endpoint Encryption

What is Microsoft BitLocker?

BitLocker is Microsoft's full disk encryption solution, which protects all of your data from theft, hacking or loss. BitLocker does this by encrypting the entire drive that hosts your Windows operating system and all your data.

BitLocker is available for all devices, including portable storage devices (such as external hard drives and USB flash drives). These portable devices are supported by a feature called BitLocker To Go, which is included in Windows 7 and 8, and in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012. In Windows XP, encrypted devices can be read, but not written to, using the BitLocker To Go Reader program.

Microsoft BitLocker is also known as BitLocker, MS BitLocker, MS BitLocker, MS BitLocker.

Microsoft BitLocker Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft BitLocker Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Microsoft BitLocker Customers
ACV, Proaxis Therapy, Choice Hotels International, adnymics GmbH, Intermedia, NMBS/SNCB
Microsoft BitLocker Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft BitLocker pricing:
  • "This solution is included with Microsoft Server and my clients did not have to pay for anything extra."
  • "It's not about pricing, because we are working with Enterprise companies that already have Windows Enterprise, so BitLocker comes already included as a Windows feature. It's free for Enterprise users. The price is only for deployment. The customer will pay for McAfee, however."
  • "It is free. It is enabled as part of the operating system. Once you have an operating system license, you're licensed for Bitlocker."
  • "The cost of this solution is bundled in with part of the subscription for the Microsoft Cloud. We have users subscribed to Enterprise E5 and it comes with E5"

Information Technology Specialist at Calculus system
A cost-effective solution to protect data from physical theft, but the encryption process is slow

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution provider in Congo and I propose products such as Microsoft BitLocker to my customers. My clients use this solution to protect their data in cases where computers are stolen. In this region, theft of computers from companies is quite common and the data that is stored needs to be protected.

• "The most valuable feature is the TPM (Trusted Platform Module), which makes the PC security stronger because somebody who is not from the team cannot access the PC without the decryption PIN."
  • "If the encryption was faster then it would make the experience more pleasant."

What other advice do I have?

The encryption solution was not something that I was really informed about, but I decided to study it and then propose it to my customers. I propose two different deployment models; the cloud and on-premises. The internet connection fees here are expensive, so many people prefer to deploy on-site. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to have a good idea of what they want to do, prepare for it, and go for it. It is not really complex, yet it is a very rich solution to deploy. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Microsoft BitLocker is that it can help a lot of…
Co-Founder & Enterprise Solutions Architect at Qtopia Tech. Solutions
Easy to use and easy to recover someone's privacy

• "It is easy to use. It is usually easy to recover someone's privacy. The manageability is much easier than McAfee. I think that Microsoft is a leader in this area. We are in the Microsoft school so our judgment of McAfee will be a little bit unfair as we recommend Microsoft all the time because of the easy manageability and support. I think that McAfee is designed for a different customer and every time we open a ticket with their support, it takes a very, very long time. The main difference is just the manageability and support. In terms of the solution itself or the functionality, I know that McAfee is very strong, but manageability and support, for us, is much more important. It's strengthens the solution for us."
  • "If integration with Active Directory are not mandatory for him, I think that there are many other solutions in the market that equal or are much stronger than Microsoft."

What other advice do I have?

If anyone is looking for integration solutions and has a requirement related to integration between Active Directory and integration solutions, I think that he needs to strongly go to Microsoft BitLocker. If integration with Active Directory is not mandatory for him, I think that there are many other solutions in the market that equal or are much stronger than Microsoft. I would give this solution an eight out of ten. In order to make it 9 or 10, I think that Microsoft would need to work on the desktop optimization deck that is coming with Microsoft to make the deployment much easier than what…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BitLocker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SW
Manager - ICT at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Free to use with Windows 10 and easy to set up but needs to be easier to manage

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint encryption.

• "It's my understanding that the initial setup is straightforward."
  • "At the end of it all, we are looking for something that can be easier to manage."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft. We have not gone to a server model, like running it through a centralized location. This is due to the fact that we decided to deploy it normally through creating encryption keys and sharing those keys so that we are able to access the machine using the keys themselves. It has not been fully loaded across the company as we are looking for solutions that can work for us as a main solution. What I wanted us to do, whether it was via BitLocker or Symantec or whichever tool, was to have a centralized…
JM
ICT operations and security manager
Free, native to OS, and doesn't require any maintenance, but can have better user profiles to allow people to create their own passwords

What is our primary use case?

We encrypt devices and disks that have the potential to be taken off-site, such as laptops, tablets, USB sticks, and USB disks. Basically, we encrypt any medium that has to be taken off-site. If we're giving out a USB stick to somebody, it is BitLocker encrypted. If somebody has to use a memory stick, the only way it gets out is if it is encrypted. We use the version that is native to an operating system.

• "It is free and native to the OS. We don't have to worry about upgrades or maintaining the product. You encrypt the disk, and you save the recovery key. That's it. The person puts their password in, and after that, it is up to them. If they forget their password, they have to bring it in to get it unlocked."
  • "User profiles can be improved so that people can create their own passwords. It has one password per machine, which is a problem. We would prefer each user to have his or her own boot password. Each user can have a username and password or biometrics, such as fingerprints and iris scanner, integrated into the boot process, but I really can't see that coming anytime soon, if ever."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is quick and neat, and it does the trick. I would rate Microsoft BitLocker a seven out of ten.
Director IM/IT at Sustainable Development Technology Canada
Encryption that provides protection that is ideal for our cloud-based environment

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to encrypt all of our laptops. If they are ever lost then they are useless to anybody, unless they have the key. Our keys are stored in our Active Directory, making it impossible for anyone to decrypt what we have in our devices.

• "The most valuable feature is the simplicity and integration with the Microsoft Clouds platform."
  • "I would like to be able to encrypt our cloud tenancy."

What other advice do I have?

We have no infrastructure. Everything we have, our entire infrastructure, has moved and it's in the Microsoft Azure cloud. This solution does everything that we need it to do. It is very convenient and it fits into our strategy of having everything in a homogeneous Microsoft Cloud. It is difficult to rate anything a ten as there may be future bugs or features that may be introduced, or if someone can discover how to hack it. At this time, we feel very safe and very covered with the encryption levels that we have with BitLocker. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
AP
Director, Cryptographic Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good encryption but unsure if it protects the hard drive of stolen laptops

What is our primary use case?

BitLocker is a feature of which enables hard drive encryption. It's similar to Symantec Endpoint Encryption. For us, both go hand-in-hand, however, BitLocker has an advantage in that it stores the key in TPM.

• "The hard drive encryption is very good."
  • "It's possible that the time it takes to pull items in to BitLocker could be reduced a bit."

What other advice do I have?

I essentially joined the company and since I got here all the laptops and endpoints have been encrypted using BitLocker. We are using IBM as management for all the data and to stop Microsoft from taking away Unbound support. We are looking for an alternative. We're curious about Symantec or endpoint encryptions that I can use with BitLocker, on top of the Symantec client that I have. We're using the latest version of the solution, from what I understand. We load the solution directly onto laptops. I would recommend the solution. However, if I find another endpoint solution, I may switch. I'm…
BF
Desk Top Operation Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to encrypt any agency data on our computers

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution ncrypt any agency data . We probably have about 3,800 users on 5,000 plus computers and there are a variety of roles with some people doing data entry all the way through to system administrators. We're a statewide agency. We'll probably increase usage in another few years when we have more computers. I work as the Desktop Operations Manager in the company and we're a customer of Microsoft.

• "The solution works the way it's supposed to - stability and scalability are fine."
  • "Lacks a portal that can be managed rather than just existing."

What other advice do I have?

I think it's important to involve the technical team when selecting a product and testing it out, rather than having the upper management make the decisions regarding which products to purchase. It's also important to get upfront support, technical support and maintenance, and maybe somehow get a portal where they can manage it themselves rather than it just kind of existing. I would rate this product an eight out of 10. It does what it's supposed to do and it's just the troubleshooting that's a problem.
IS
IT Security Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good disk encryption, excellent manageability and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for disk encryption only.

• "There's a lot of manageability within the solution. This is very helpful."
  • "The solution should offer encryption for other items such as shared folders, removable media, etc."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Microsoft customer. We don't have any specific relationship with the company. Due to security concerns and company policy, we only ever use on-premises solutions. I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
See 4 more Microsoft BitLocker Reviews
Download our free Microsoft BitLocker Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.