MS
VMware and Windows Server Team Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
A simple solution with good integration, price, stability, scalability, and support

• "Its simplicity is the most valuable. It also has very good integration. We like it."
  • "Its interface can be improved a little bit. We would like to have some sort of centralization. It should have something like a central server that is managing all the other clients. There are solutions from Kaspersky or ESET NOD32 that are really doing this kind of thing currently. We would like to see something similar from Microsoft."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Windows Defender for Windows services because it is the default antivirus and protection solution with Windows Server 2016 and 2019. We are using it for Windows servers, file servers, and active directory.

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity is the most valuable. It also has very good integration. We like it.

What needs improvement?

Its interface can be improved a little bit. We would like to have some sort of centralization. It should have something like a central server that is managing all the other clients. There are solutions from Kaspersky or ESET NOD32 that are really doing this kind of thing currently. We would like to see something similar from Microsoft.

We have been using this solution for more than two years.

It is very stable. It is highly recommended.

It has good scalability. We are happy with it and plan to increase its usage. We currently have around 20 users.

Technical support is good. We like Microsoft, and they provide good technical support.

It is straightforward.

We implemented it by ourselves.

Currently, for us, Windows Defender is free with the purchase of Windows Server. Pricing is an important point for us when we are looking at the competitors of this solution. If we choose to go with another vendor, we will have to pay some license fees.

What other advice do I have?

We are considering moving to another solution, so we are trying to inform ourselves about the other products in the market that will fit our budget and needs. We are trying to see what the competitors offer in the server market. We are looking into ESET NOD32 because we know the product from back in the day.

I would recommend this solution. It is free, and it is doing its job for Microsoft Windows Server. It is a good product. I would rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint a nine out of ten.

TP
IT Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Effortless updating, full operating system integration, and secure

• "Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is beneficial because we are using Microsoft Windows and all the core solutions are made by Microsoft, such as the authentic platform, operating system, and antivirus protection. It is a heterogeneous environment. We had to use third-party solutions before and update everything separately. For example, the policy for antivirus. With Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, when Microsoft Windows receives updates it will update with it. This is one main advantage of this solution."
  • "Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can improve by making the reporting faster. It takes some time to reflect back to the administration portal of what has been updated. For example, out of 100 Computers, approximately 90 computers received updates, but when you check the administration portal over one or two days, you will only see 75, even though 90 were updated."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can be used for protecting personal information and file in my organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has saved us time by not having to install separate third-party antivirus solutions.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is beneficial because we are using Microsoft Windows and all the core solutions are made by Microsoft, such as the authentic platform, operating system, and antivirus protection. It is a heterogeneous environment. We had to use third-party solutions before and update everything separately. For example, the policy for antivirus. With Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, when Microsoft Windows receives updates it will update with it. This is one main advantage of this solution.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint can improve by making the reporting faster. It takes some time to reflect back to the administration portal of what has been updated. For example, out of 100 Computers, approximately 90 computers received updates, but when you check the administration portal over one or two days, you will only see 75, even though 90 were updated.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint has been scalable.

We have more than 200 users using this solution in my organization.

Previously we used McAfee and Symantec Endpoint. Every five years we change the solution. However, this time we changed to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint because we wanted a unified platform.

When you install Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Defender for Endpoint comes with it. There is no installation of the solution other than installing Windows 10. It saves time because you do not have to use any new kind of policy or deployment.

We have a team of three that do the management of the solution.

The solution comes free with Microsoft Windows 10.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JS
Manager Cyber Defense Operations Centre at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Affordable and straightforward without much to improve for personal use

• "It is easy to install and use requiring little maintenance but applying updates."
  • "It is inexpensive but could be cheaper like anything else."

What is our primary use case?

I installed Windows Defender for personal use for my protection of my personal PC. I use it as an antivirus system so that I do not have any exposure to viruses on my PC. Obviously, I do not want to leave my PC open to virus threats. I have only used it on my personal PCs with the license I got for Office 365. I keep my patches and descriptions updated on my PC.

Defender is installed only one one of my laptops. I am sure I will continue using it there as long as the licensing is valid.

What is most valuable?

I really have not really worked with it that much to be able to customize my approach with it or anything like that. It pretty straightforward to install and use.

What needs improvement?

I do not find that there is very much about it that needs to be improved. Everything can be cheaper I am sure. So, it could be less expansive.

It has been about six months now since I started using Microsoft Windows Defender.

It is stable.

I am sure it is a scalable product.

I was just using or trying to get a personal PC secure using a product I got as part of the Office 365 package. There was no previous product installed.

I found that it was pretty straightforward to install and use. You install it and it is working almost immediately.

I think that the product is affordable. At least it was for me. It is part of the Office 365 package.

What other advice do I have?

I have used it enough to be sure that I could recommend it for home use on a PC.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Defender as a nine-out-of-ten based on my experience.

AC
Technical Director at Systex Software
Reseller
It comes preloaded with Windows 10. It does not have a central console.

• "Microsoft Defender can block some viruses or malware. So, it can protect my files. It can save files on Office 365 OneDrive. I use encryption for some files, then I can recover them from OneDrive."
  • "The central console needs improvement. Both McAfee and Symantec antivirus have dashboards. These integrate with a server and work on my antivirus or some other product. However, with Microsoft Defender, you use Microsoft Group Policy Object. Defender does not provide a central console. Therefore, if you implement Defender, then maybe use another tool for the central view."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Taiwan sole company reseller. We sell commercial software to enterprise customers.

I use the Microsoft Defender for scanning the antivirus or some hacker tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We sell the Microsoft solution for enterprise customers. We recommend to customers that they can use Microsoft Defender Antivirus.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The central console needs improvement. Both McAfee and Symantec antivirus have dashboards. These integrate with a server and work on my antivirus or some other product. However, with Microsoft Defender, you use Microsoft Group Policy Object. Defender does not provide a central console. Therefore, if you implement Defender, then maybe use another tool for the central view.

I have been using Microsoft Defender Antivirus for more than two years.

In general, Defender Antivirus can work with my operating system. So, its performance is okay.

Defender can integrate with other Office 365 security products.

We just search for knowledge from Google.

My company deploys Symantec antivirus. However, when we buy a laptop, it includes Windows 10, which has Defender antivirus installed. Therefore, we use both antivirus software, Symantec and Defender.

We did not deploy Microsoft Defender Antivirus. It simply came preloaded with Windows 10.

I would recommend using Group Policy Object to deploy this solution and enable some functions.

You just pay Windows 10 prices, then you have antivirus software. As a price comparison, Defender's costs are very low.

What other advice do I have?

We sell the Microsoft 365 solution to customers. If a customer wants Windows 10 Defender, they can choose Defender ATP in Office 365.

I would rate this solution as a five or six out of 10.

AbdullahAl Masum
Professional Prospect List Building Service Provider, Email Sourcer, Virtual Assistant at Freelance
Easy to install, good performance, and offers strong protection

• "A few years ago, when I was using a different product, I was affected by a virus that destroyed everything. Since using Microsoft Defender, I have not had this kind of problem."
  • "Lowering the price would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for the safety of my PC. It protects me against ransomware and other types of viruses.

How has it helped my organization?

Microsoft Defender has indicated problems with some websites that I was able to remove.

A few years ago, when I was using a different product, I was affected by a virus that destroyed everything. Since using Microsoft Defender, I have not had this kind of problem.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it helps protect me against any type of virus that might attack my system.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

Lowering the price would be an improvement.

I have been using Microsoft Defender Antivirus for the last three years.

Stability-wise, this is a strong product and it works better than other anti-virus solutions.

Prior to this solution, I had used different anti-virus products. One of them was a solution by Kaspersky, which I used for a long time. When I was using it, my PC was running very slow. Sometimes, I was not able to access legitimate websites because Kaspersky blocked them. I found that it blocked many websites that were legally valid, which was frustrating.

Because of these reasons, I switched products.

I used another product after Kaspersky for one year but it was not good either.

Installing this solution on the computer is easy to do.

While expensive, the service it provides is good, which is why we are using it.

Microsoft Defender is an expensive product in my country.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend my friends and colleagues use Microsoft Defender because it always protects us against ransomware and viruses.

In summary, this is a great product.

Ganusha Alwis
Manager-Information System & Product Management at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Gets updated with new security features on a regular basis but there is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints

• "We have liked the fact that it comes with Microsoft Windows 10 and it is constantly updated with all new virus definitions. It is also updated with new security features on a regular basis."
  • "There is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints. There is no behavior-based protection."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Windows Defender for normal internet security. We use it to detect viruses. We have about 100 users.

What is most valuable?

We have liked the fact that it comes with Microsoft Windows 10 and it is constantly updated with all new virus definitions. It is also updated with new security features on a regular basis. We don't use any other third party products.

What needs improvement?

There is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints. There is no behavior-based protection. It does not allow us to pull data from ransomware and zero-day attacks.

We have used Microsoft Windows Defender since 2010. We used Microsoft Essentials with Windows 7 then we upgraded to Windows 10. Since then we have used Microsoft Windows Defender.

Microsoft Windows Defender is stable.

We have had no issues with scalability.

We have not needed any support from Microsoft so far so there are not any complications with customer support so far.

Recently we tested another product that employs Endpoint Detection and Response and also behavior analysis protection. It also was able to filter activities or data. These are things that Microsoft Windows Defender does not do. We stayed with Windows Defender because of the cost.

Microsoft Windows Defender is easy to set up and easy to manage.

We were able to set it up in-house. We have two people in-house that manage Windows Defender.

What other advice do I have?

If you require Endpoint Detection and Response or Behavior Analysis and you can afford it then go with those products. I would rate Microsoft Windows Defender a seven out of ten.

NiravKumar
Cyber Security Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Good support and valuable EDR feature, but not stable and not suitable for enterprises with lots of other processes and third-party tools

• "The EDR feature is most valuable."
  • "It is currently more suitable for end-users rather than enterprises with lots of other processes and third-party tools. It needs improvement on that front. We had many issues while integrating it with our enterprise solutions, such as Splunk, and third-party tools. It provides everything via APIs. Other vendors provide integration with third-party tools, but Microsoft doesn't do that. It is also logging too much and is not serialized from the process aspect. It has all the data, but it is not in a proper format or not properly indexed, which doesn't make it easier for enterprises to use this data. Other vendors provide troubleshooting information that can be used to troubleshoot issues, but Microsoft doesn't provide anything like that."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our endpoint detection and response capability.

What is most valuable?

The EDR feature is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It is currently more suitable for end-users rather than enterprises with lots of other processes and third-party tools. It needs improvement on that front. We had many issues while integrating it with our enterprise solutions, such as Splunk, and third-party tools. It provides everything via APIs. Other vendors provide integration with third-party tools, but Microsoft doesn't do that.

It is also logging too much and is not serialized from the process aspect. It has all the data, but it is not in a proper format or not properly indexed, which doesn't make it easier for enterprises to use this data.

Other vendors provide troubleshooting information that can be used to troubleshoot issues, but Microsoft doesn't provide anything like that.

I have been using this solution for six months.

It is still a new product, and there are many reported bugs in terms of stability and impact on the endpoints.

We have around 80,000 users.

They are good. They take a little bit of time, but they are good.

It was very complex. We had many issues in integrating it with our enterprise solutions, such as Splunk, and third-party tools.

We have seven or eight engineers for its maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they don't have many third-party tools. It is a very good solution.

I would rate Microsoft Defender for Endpoint a seven out of ten.

NA
Assistant Manager – IT Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Stable threat protection with good support but it's expensive and has license restrictions

• "It shows us the risky sign-ins, and if a user's password has been compromised."
  • "I am not sure if I will be using this product in the future because of the price."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for threat detection.

What is most valuable?

It shows us the risky sign-ins, and if a user's password has been compromised.

What needs improvement?

While have been using this solution for two years, I am not completely knowledgable.

Due to license restrictions, we cannot use all of the features that are offered.

I am not sure if I will be using this product in the future because of the price.

I would like to see better pricing for this solution in the future.

I have been working with Microsoft Defender ATP for two years.

We are always using the latest version because it's on the cloud.

With what we have seen, it's a stable solution.

We are not using it widely because of the licensing limits.

We have three users only for Defender ATP, and if we are using the Microsoft ATA it applies to 500 users.

Technical support is good.

We did not use another solution previous to Microsoft Defender ATP.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's included with the Windows 10 Operating System.

There is no time taken for deployment as it is included with the operating system.

We completed the installation ourselves.

We have 15 administrators to deploy and maintain this solution.

Microsoft Defender ATP is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Because of my lack of knowledge or experience with the solutions full capacity, I cannot recommend this solution or offer any advice.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.